Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%&

Posted by: kenglade

Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/29/11 06:53 AM

Now I fear I'm really buggered. I was having enough problems setting up my new MBP to get it operating like my iMac. Then I went back to my iMac and discovered a major glitch in Word for Mac 2011. It won't open with my old "normal." I think I've renamed every "normal" I can find and tried to start from scratch.But I cannot save the new file as "normal.dotm." Word tells me it has to be saved as a "doc" not a "dotm." Okay, I saved it as a template and it opens like I want. But when I open a previously saved doc it doesn't load my macros. WTF. I hope I don't have to drag both machines to the Apple store and get them to straighten them out.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/29/11 11:01 AM

Try this;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

Then reinstall Office 2011.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/29/11 11:16 AM

That's great advice... right up until the word "reinstall." FAIL!

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/29/11 11:21 AM

laugh
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/29/11 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
That's great advice... right up until the word "reinstall." FAIL!

laugh

Yeah, Word (any MS app) doesn't like to be moved from one machine to another

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 06:35 AM

Guess there are a lot of things Word doesn't like. What's the best way to uninstall so i can reinstall from the disk?

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: kenglade
Guess there are a lot of things Word doesn't like. What's the best way to uninstall so i can reinstall from the disk?
Follow the microsoft link I posted in my reply to you, the one that takes you to a page titled "How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011". Did you even bother to click it or am I just wasting my time?

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
[quote=kenglade]Did you even bother to click it or am I just wasting my time?

Don't be rude, dude, cause we ain't in the mood.

Hey, that rhymes. I'm a poet and didn't know it! smile

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 03:05 PM

No, I went to the link, downloaded the material and followed it to the letter. It worked perfectly getting MS Word off my computer. My problem was getting it back on. Discovered you can't reinstall from the original disk, only a backup copy. Damned if i know why, but I finally got it back.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 04:31 PM

PEBCAC?? laugh

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Don't be rude, dude, cause we ain't in the mood.

Hey, that rhymes. I'm a poet and didn't know it! smile
Sorry JD, I'll try what you always do and be more tactful next time. laugh

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 05:18 PM

Discovered you can't reinstall from the original disk, only a backup copy.
I don't get it. Is it a full install DVD? Office installer comes on an install DVD, or you downloaded it.

When you say you installed from a backup, exactly what do you mean, where/what was the backup. Did you just drag the Office folder over from a disk you had backed the folder up on? If so hope there is no corruption in the it.

Or did you run the installer that you downloaded?

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
PEBCAC?? laugh
That was rude. smirk

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/30/11 06:07 PM

shocked

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 06:26 AM

I admit my ignorance: huh?

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 06:40 AM

It doesn't make sense to me. After uninstalling Office 2011 I tried re-installing with the original install DVD. I got a message saying "install successful." But i was unable to open Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. Instead, all I could get was a screen asking if I wanted to get automatic updates? The programs themselves would not open. After much searching I found an 800 number for activation problems. Was told there that MS had deliberately made it impossible to reinstall from the original install DVD -- it could be done only from "a backup copy." I guess MS expects every user to make a backup of the install DVD upon receipt.

I figured some of the files from the DVD were placed in their right places, as evidenced by the "installation successful message." So I grabbed the list of files I had to uninstall Office (as pointed out in your email) and opened my Time Machine going back to February. Then I went down the list restoring files from TM. When I was done, I opened Word, the asked for an update and got MS Office 14.2.1 (if I remember correctly). That didn't update my custom dictionary or autocorrect entries so I still have to go back and do that. I wanted to wait for one backup cycle so even if my attempts to update the dictionary somehow messes things up, I have a backup of the most recent installation in which things seem to be operating as before. What a pain.

As to possible corruption of old files, I don't know. I'll just have to wait and see how it works out.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 09:52 AM

Quote:
Was told there that MS had deliberately made it impossible to reinstall from the original install DVD -- it could be done only from "a backup copy."

Not a comment on you, since what you were told is what you were told ... Having said that, even conceptually this is one of the most effed-up things I think I've ever heard. Gonna have to do some research ...

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 10:47 AM

I don't get it either. I don't know how the computer knows the difference between an original and a digital copy. I've copied a lot of installer disks over the years.

Since Office now has to be activated online on a per machine basis I can see how it would reject activation on another machine, but not this, the install DVD is not writable, something is fishy.

My guess is that something is awry with kenglade's iMac, like the MBP. He talks of messing with permissions, and I think that the "Peggy" kenglade got the info from didn't know what he was talking about.

Sorry kenglade but you are having way too much trouble with both machines, there is something amiss that we have not been made aware of it seems. I have asked before but you didn't answer, do you run any third party maintenance utilities, Onyx, Mono-lingual, MacKeeper etc?

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 03:25 PM

I have Mackeeper on the iMac, not yet on the MBP

This is driving me nuts. I have Word working on the iMac (as far as I can tell). I did the MS-approved uninstall process on the MBP because it apparently did not like the Migration Assistant version. I just inserted the original Office 2011 disk into the MBP, the one that I received when I bought the program which includes the 25-character produce code. I get the screen that says "Office installer.mpkg"But the damn thing won't open. It just sits there. I tried "open" and "Open with" but neither works.

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 05:59 PM

I have Mackeeper on the iMac, not yet on the MBP
At the risk of sounding rude;

$#!!%&! Run for the hills. Okay, that explains a lot. I knew there had to be something mucking up the works.

Even though I know that OS X is pretty much self maintaining except for cache cleaning once or twice a year, I tried it out just to see what it was about, big mistake. I launched it only once to see what it did, and it started installing crap. Besides the fact that when I first launched it it asked to do things to the system that I knew were not good to do automatically, when I tried to remove it it left error references to launch agents that it was trying to activate in the Console that repeated over and over every 10 seconds or something. When you drag it to the trash it asks to uninstall itself but it doesn't get everything.

Files to throw away to get that invasive POS off of your computer.

/Applications/MacKeeper.app
In system Library:
/Library/Application/Support/MacKeeper
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus
In User Library:
/Users//Library/Preference/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist
/Users//Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper
/Users//Library/Caches/com.zeobit.MacKeeper
/Users//Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.Backup.agent
/Users//Library/Preferences/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plist
In Keychain Access utility: - all zeobit passwords

If I was sitting in front either of your machines trying to diagnose the problem, at this point my only suggestion is that you do a reinstall on both machines, never ever put anything like that back on again, don't mess with permissions unless you're 100% positive what it will do, and don't stick your head under the hood to try and tweak anything.

Normally a reinstall right over the current installation will do, it won't erase any users or data or apps. That is pretty painless and doesn't take long, especially as compared to the time you've already spent on this. I'm even leery of that though in case the installation of apps like Office have been corrupted.

If that fails, I would then do an erase and install and migrate only users and files, not settings or apps. Reinstall your apps, don't copy them over. If while copying or moving anything it asks for a user name or password, think 3 times about what it is you're doing.

Never trust any app that says it can optimize your system by removing files or tinkering with settings, and all of the maintenance tasks it does that really need to be done to OS X can be done for free in some way. The only maintenance I do on mine is clear the caches, repair permissions for old time's sake, and occasionally run fsck at startup. Even though I have DiskWarrior, I probably haven't run it in months.

I can guarantee that probably all of the problems you're having will go away with a clean non-"optimized" system.

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 07:48 PM

Yet another disk utility that should never-ever be used. I don't even repair permissions - though I do admit that I find cleaning out caches occasionally does work wonders - especially the font cache.

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 08:20 PM

Stick to Cocktail for a maintenance utility.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 08/31/11 10:14 PM

What Reboot just said.
The cleanest system I've run is when I don't tinker with third party "helpers".

I apologize if I confused you before.

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 09/01/11 07:17 AM

Reboot

many thanks. I take your words seriously and will start working in that direction. I downloaded MacKeeper only because I read some good reviews. What about CleanMyMac?

FYI, I am not an expert and don't want to be. I'm just an old guy trying to finish a book I've been working on for four years, therefore my heavy investment in Word. After this experience, I'm seriously thinking of switching to Scrivener but I'm worried about losing files and data in the process. I got the MBP only because my MacAir got trashed by a leaking water bottle on a recent trip. It's now a paperweight. I have high hopes for the MBP once I can get it under control.

It appears that I have many more hours of work ahead of me.

Again, thanks.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 09/01/11 07:49 AM

Quote:
I downloaded MacKeeper only because I read some good reviews. What about CleanMyMac?

In my experience OS X really doesn't need any maintenance apps like the older systems used to -- it has built-in utility routines that take care of the important stuff. The absolute worst I've had to do with my systems is run a safe boot now and again to make sure those routines have run. Honestly (as you're finding out right now) third-party gack usually are *far* more trouble than they're worth ...

Re: Word for Mac 2011 $#!!%& - 09/01/11 08:52 AM

What about CleanMyMac?
Sigh. Like we all said, you don't need any of that.

Do a Google search using MacKeeper complaints or MacKeeper problems, you'll see others say the same thing.

Glad to help, but just don't use any of those automatic "optimizers" anymore, you don't need them. I recommend only using Font Finagler to clear font caches if fonts start looking odd, and if you want get Lion Cache Cleaner (works with Leopard, Snow Leopard) to clear system/user caches once every few months. You really don't need to use any of the other features of LCC other than clearing caches. Font Finagler is free for up to something like 35 uses, and LCC is donation ware if you find it useful. All of the features of LCC are able to be done for free from Terminal, and for clearing font caches if you hold down the Shift key at startup the computer will go to "Safe Boot" mode, one of the features of that is clearing font caches. After it boots up reboot again normally.

Hope we've helped.