Posted by: Mike

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 07:36 AM

Over 3 GB! Man, this will take hours! Damn' you, Charter Communications! mad
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 07:46 AM

Excellent article on ARS...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/201...tm_campaign=rss

Also....
there will, in fact, be a physical manifestation of Lion. Starting in August, Apple will sell Lion on a USB stick for $69. Apple has also said that customers are welcome to bring their Macs to Apple retail stores for help buying and installing Lion..

And..

Once you have the installer application, you could (were you so inclined) dig into it (control-click, then Show Package Contents) and find the meaty center, a 3.74GB disk image (InstallESD.dmg, stored in the Contents/SharedSupport folder). You could then use that disk image to, say, burn a Lion installation DVD or create an emergency external boot disk.
Posted by: Chakris

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 07:46 AM

Started downloading about 30 min ago - almost half way now. uhg.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 07:47 AM

Aaaaaaannnnnddddd…
I'm done!
One hour 15 minutes for download and install!
I feel so smug right now!
grin

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 07:52 AM

Verrryyy cool..

Once you've selected the target disk, the Lion installer application will repartition the disk, carving out a 650MB slice of the disk for its own use.

Don't worry, all existing data on the disk will be preserved. (Mac OS X has had the ability to add partitions to existing disks without destroying any data for many years now.) All that's required is enough free space to reshuffle the data as needed to make room for the new partition.

And then...

The upshot is that after all the file compression magic added in Snow Leopard to reduce the footprint of the OS, Lion steals over half a gigabyte of your disk space as part of its installation process, and never gives it back. The partition's name makes Apple's intent clear: it's meant as a last-ditch mechanism to diagnose and repair a Mac with a hosed boot volume. (Hosed, that is, in the software sense; existing as it does on the boot disk itself, the recovery partition won't be much use if the disk has hardware problems.)

Sweet.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 08:02 AM

It took my Mini about 1 1/2 to 2 hours total.

Nice! Finder window resizing from any corner/edge (apps too)!
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 08:23 AM

My display seemed brighter right away. I see why now. The contrast has automatically been turned up in the Universal Access/Seeing section. I turned it back because it hides the separating lines in list view of the Finder. I also turned the scrolling direction back to the way it should be in Mouse System Preference.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 08:29 AM

Yep!
Resize from any edge! It's about %$^%$#! time!
I'm at work right now, and MobileMe screen sharing is working beautifully.
I may be at work, but I can still play at home! (Shhhh… Don't tell).
I hope iCloud will be as easy…

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 08:54 AM

Click on "About this Mac" in the apple menu...

Look different?
See a menu on top?
Cool displays of all kinds of goodies....

All kinds of neat stuff.. I can't do Lion yet... but soon enough...
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 09:13 AM

Downloading it now. I love logging in to my iMac from work and doing it. Before the iPad, I had to wait until I got home!

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/20/11 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Excellent article on ARS...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/201...tm_campaign=rss

Also....
there will, in fact, be a physical manifestation of Lion. Starting in August, Apple will sell Lion on a USB stick for $69. Apple has also said that customers are welcome to bring their Macs to Apple retail stores for help buying and installing Lion..

And..

Once you have the installer application, you could (were you so inclined) dig into it (control-click, then Show Package Contents) and find the meaty center, a 3.74GB disk image (InstallESD.dmg, stored in the Contents/SharedSupport folder). You could then use that disk image to, say, burn a Lion installation DVD or create an emergency external boot disk.

Very cool! Thanks...

Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 09:55 AM

DLed Lion, tried to install but got a error message (something like...) "Lion" could not be installed. A 'recovery disk' con not be created. What gives? eek
Posted by: Nana

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 10:07 AM

I'm gonna wait a month or 2 & let you guys iron out all the bugs before I give Lion a try.

I like the idea of burning it on a dvd though. I believe that is the way I'll go.

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 10:11 AM

What are you installing it on?

Specs...we need specs. smile

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 10:15 AM

Tried to install it on an iMac 3.06 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, OS X version 10.6.8, 4 GB RAM.
785 GB Free space. However, I also have a WinXP partition. I wonder if the XP partition is the culprit? Apple recommends.... (Bummer! I paid for it and the App store shows it's installed but it's NOT!)

"What to do if the installer warns that no Recovery HD can be created

Some disk partition configurations may result in the OS X Lion installer reporting that it could not create a Recovery HD. In these situations, even if you are permitted to continue the install, you should quit the install and create an external, bootable OS X Lion hard drive with a Recovery HD, first. You will be able to return to the upgrade to OS X Lion on your computer's boot drive after creating the external Recovery HD.

Important notes

Your storage device must have at least 13 GB available (after formatting) to install Lion and an Internet Restore partition.
These steps will erase and reformat the storage device. This article will instruct you on setting up the storage device to use the GUID partition scheme and the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which are required to install Lion and an Internet Restore partition on your external storage device. You should back up any important files that are on the device to a different drive.
This procedure will install a version of the OS X Lion that is compatible with the Mac it was created with. Using this Lion system with a different kind of Mac may produce unpredictable results.
Your computer's serial number will be sent to Apple to help authenticate your request to download and install OS X Lion."

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 10:29 AM

From the article I linked...

But wait a second—how exactly is this going to work? Surely an entirely new operating system can't be installed on top of the currently running operating system by an application stored on the same volume. Without a plastic disc to boot from, how is it even possible to upgrade a standalone Mac with just one hard drive?

These questions probably won't occur to an average consumer, which is sort of the point, I guess. Sure enough, if you just close your eyes, launch the installer application, and click your way through the handful of screens it presents, your Mac will reboot into what looks like the standard Mac OS X installer application from years past. When it's done, your Mac will reboot into Lion. Magic!

Okay, it's not magic. The answer is actually technically obvious, but also quite unprecedented in the Mac's history. Once you've selected the target disk, the Lion installer application will repartition the disk, carving out a 650MB slice of the disk for its own use.

Don't worry, all existing data on the disk will be preserved. (Mac OS X has had the ability to add partitions to existing disks without destroying any data for many years now.) All that's required is enough free space to reshuffle the data as needed to make room for the new partition.

Here's an example from my testing. I started with a single 250GB hard drive split into two equal partitions: the first named "Lion Ex," currently running Snow Leopard, and the intended target of the Lion install, and the second named "Timex," the Time Machine backup volume for Lion Ex. The output from the diskutil list command appears below.

/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Lion Ex 125.0 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS Timex 124.6 GB disk1s3
Now here's that same disk after installing Lion, with the new partition highlighted:

/dev/disk1
2: Apple_HFS Lion Ex 124.5 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 654.6 MB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS Timex 124.6 GB disk1s4
The new partition is actually considered a different type: Apple_Boot. The Recovery HD volume won't be automatically mounted upon boot and therefore won't appear in the Finder. It's not even visible in the Disk Utility application, appearing only as a tiny blank space in the partition map for the disk. But as shown above, the command-line diskutil program can see it. Diskutil can mount it too.

Doing so reveals the partition as a normal HFS+ volume. The top level contains a directory named com.apple.recovery.boot which in turn contains a few small files related to booting along with an invisible 430MB internally compressed disk image file named BaseSystem.dmg. Mount that disk image and you find a 1.52GB bootable Mac OS X volume containing Safari, most of the contents of the standard /Applications/Utilities folder (Disk Utility, Startup Disk, Terminal, etc.), plus a Mac OS X Lion installer application. In other words, it looks a lot like a standard Mac OS X installer DVD.

This is the partition that the Mac will boot from when you install Lion. The files to install will be read from the Lion installer application downloaded earlier from the Mac App Store. After the installation is complete, the Recovery HD partition remains on the disk. Hold down ⌘R during system startup to automatically boot into the Recovery HD partition. (Holding down the option key during startup—not a new feature in Lion—will also show the Recovery HD partition as one of the boot volume choices.)

Booting from the recovery partition really means mounting and then booting from the BaseSystem.dmg disk image on the recovery partition. Doing so presents a list of the traditional Mac OS X install disc options, including restoring from a Time Machine backup, reinstalling Mac OS X, running Disk Utility, resetting your password, and so on. There's also an option to get help online, which will launch Safari. Including Safari on the recovery partition is a nice touch, since most people's first stop when diagnosing a problem is Google, not the Genius Bar.

The upshot is that after all the file compression magic added in Snow Leopard to reduce the footprint of the OS, Lion steals over half a gigabyte of your disk space as part of its installation process, and never gives it back. The partition's name makes Apple's intent clear: it's meant as a last-ditch mechanism to diagnose and repair a Mac with a hosed boot volume. (Hosed, that is, in the software sense; existing as it does on the boot disk itself, the recovery partition won't be much use if the disk has hardware problems.)

Apparently Apple has decided that the ability to boot a Mac into a known-good (software) state is well worth sacrificing a small amount of disk space. MacBook Air owners or other Mac users with diminutive solid-state disk drives may disagree, however. In that case, the disk space can be reclaimed by some judicious repartitioning with Disk Utility (or the diskutil command-line tool) while booted from another disk. But don't be surprised when the fellow at the Genius Bar frowns a little at your deviation from the Apple Way.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike
This procedure will install a version of the OS X Lion that is compatible with the Mac it was created with. Using this Lion system with a different kind of Mac may produce unpredictable results.
Well that's new, and kind of a step towards Windows installations. Pre-Lion any HD could boot any Mac as long as the version was in specs for the machine. For example I have external drives for maintenance. The 10.5.8 one can boot anything from a G4 to an Intel model. The 10.6.8 one can only boot Intels but it can boot any Intel. I'll have to check out more before passing judgement but it seems that they're making them harder to service.

Regarding OS the version being in specs for the hardware, Windows has a huge leg up on that. I have what's called Hiren's boot diagnostic CDs for Windows machines. It runs a version of mini-XP that can boot just about any machine. It can boot brand new Core i7s or 13 year old Celerons.

Real Bummer! - 07/20/11 11:16 AM

Again, the App Store indicates that 'Lion' was 'installed' when quite clearly it was NOT.
And -of course- it won't let me 'install' it again.
I do NOT want to pay for it again. How can I possibly try again and install it?
This is NOT what I expected from 'Lion'....grrrrr! mad

Re: Real Bummer! - 07/20/11 11:20 AM

Mike, I would try opening the App Store, click the Store menu, scroll down and select Check For Unfinished Downloads.

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 11:28 AM

Riddle me this Batman.....

Great.. as you know my 20" Display died and I was waiting to see if they would put cameras and mics in the new displays. They did. They also put TB on it.
How the F am I sposed to hook up a new TB display to an ancient, 2 year old tower that only sports a measly Mini display connector AND a DVI connnector??

http://www.apple.com/displays/

The only connector for video is a TB port....

/rollseyes....

Re: Real Bummer! - 07/20/11 11:30 AM

I'm confused.. the installer doesn't still reside in your download folder?

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Well that's new, and kind of a step towards Windows installations. Pre-Lion any HD could boot any Mac as long as the version was in specs for the machine. For example I have external drives for maintenance. The 10.5.8 one can boot anything from a G4 to an Intel model. The 10.6.8 one can only boot Intels but it can boot any Intel. I'll have to check out more before passing judgement but it seems that they're making them harder to service.

Regarding OS the version being in specs for the hardware, Windows has a huge leg up on that. I have what's called Hiren's boot diagnostic CDs for Windows machines. It runs a version of mini-XP that can boot just about any machine. It can boot brand new Core i7s or 13 year old Celerons.

I'm understanding that to mean that it will only work with his system that he created the Franken-Installer with..

Quote:

Re: Real Bummer! - 07/20/11 11:33 AM

The App Store shows that the DL/upgrade was 'installed'; i.e.: finished, I guess.
However, following the instructions from the Apple Support page I attached a 16 GB USB2 flash drive to the iMac. And after formatting it (according to the instructions), I was able to 'click' on 'install' again and install it on the flash drive. Unfortunately, this takes a long time... But we'll see what happens after that.

Re: Real Bummer! - 07/20/11 11:37 AM

It 'mysteriously' disappeared but it's back now after half an hour. And I'm trying to follow those instructions from the Apple Support page; i.e.: installing it on an external drive. I'm still wondering why it wouldn't go? Maybe it got 'confused' by the WinXP partition? confused

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 11:39 AM

How the F am I sposed to hook up a new TB display to an ancient, 2 year old tower that only sports a measly Mini display connector AND a DVI connnector??
I know that the TB port on the new iMac supports a Mini DisplayPort adapter for a second monitor, but they say the new monitors need "Thunderbolt-enabled Mac computer, including MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac"

Your MacPro has a Mini DisplayPort, wonder if it would work with yours, but they don't mention the MP in the quote above.

Re: Real Bummer! - 07/20/11 11:43 AM

After the install, it lives here along with the dmg.

I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:05 PM

It 'mysteriously' disappeared but it's back now after half an hour. And I'm trying to follow those instructions from the Apple Support page; i.e.: installing it on an external drive. I'm still wondering why it wouldn't go? Maybe it got 'confused' by the WinXP partition? confused

(from Apple Support concerning the 'error' message)

"The disk has a non-standard Boot Camp partition setup, where further partitioning was performed after running Boot Camp Assistant, or the configuration that Boot Camp Assistant created was manually modified."

Yup, I had 'modified' the Boot Camp partition to 100 GB ...

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:16 PM

Ok good.

I thought that even though you bought it, you could re download it. I bet if you had hit the purchase button again, you would get a window saying that you had already purchased it, would you like to download it for free? Just like the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:21 PM

What did you use to modify it?

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Ok good.

I thought that even though you bought it, you could re download it. I bet if you had hit the purchase button again, you would get a window saying that you had already purchased it, would you like to download it for free? Just like the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

That's what I was wondering..
Makes me think I should copy that installer to another drive first when I do mine.
Of course i'm not going to be installing it on a weirded out Mac with funky partitions like some people... laugh

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 12:22 PM

OK.. I thought of that.. but where do I get the adapter?
I don't see it one on Apples site.

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 12:30 PM

You mean the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to attach a DVI monitor to the MP?

Or do you mean the cable to go from the new monitor to the MP? I believe the cable attached to the monitor fits in the Mini DisplayPort, but whether it will work with your MP is the question.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:33 PM

Mike...

I haven't bought it yet so I can't confirm... but just saw this in a forum..

From new Apple Support document today:

"To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install Mac OS X Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download Lion, use Spotlight to search for "Install Mac OS X Lion" on your computer. "

Oh...lol.. it says on a "computer running OSX Lion"... is that a typo?
LOL

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 12:36 PM

You mean the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to attach a DVI monitor to the MP?

Or do you mean the cable to go from the new monitor to the MP? I believe the cable attached to the monitor fits in the Mini DisplayPort, but whether it will work with your MP is the question.

Aahh..
More info is needed...

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:37 PM

New Lion kb article posted today...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4649

Summary
During installation, OS X Lion may display the message:

"Some features of Mac OS X Lion are not supported for the disk (volume name)".

Products Affected
OS X Lion
Why does this message appear?

This message means the installer cannot create the Recovery HD partition on your hard disk. Recovery HD offers on-disk recovery tools, allows you to restore from Time Machine backups, reinstall OS X Lion over the Internet, or set a firmware password. Recovery HD is not needed to install and run OS X Lion, nor to access most of its capabilities and new features.

Usually, this message appears in one of two scenarios:

The disk you are installing Lion on is a RAID volume
or
The disk has a non-standard Boot Camp partition setup, where further partitioning was performed after running Boot Camp Assistant, or the configuration that Boot Camp Assistant created was manually modified

What will happen if I continue to install?

Recovery HD is not needed to install and run OS X Lion and even access most of its capabilities and new features, but some features are not available without a Recovery HD installed on your computer. You will be able to run OS X Lion and all your favorite, compatible software titles. Many of the new features of OS X Lion will be available to you.

You won't be able to use FileVault disk encryption to secure your data. You won't have the on-disk utilities for disk repair and setting a firmware password.

What can I do ensure I get all OS X Lion features?

Make a full backup of your hard disk and all of its data (including your Boot Camp partition, which is not normally backed up by Time Machine), then erase your hard disk and create a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition.

Reinstall Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, then re-download the OS X Lion installer from the Mac App Store and retry your install.

If you use Boot Camp, you can run Boot Camp Assistant after installing OS X Lion to create a new Boot Camp partition, then restore the data from the backup you made of your previous Boot Camp partition.

You can also use the OS X Lion installer from the Mac App Store to create an external bootable drive, complete with a Recovery HD partition. See this article for more details. This approach will, at least, create a bootable drive with Recovery HD which you can carry with you in case you need to use Internet Restore or make use of the other utilities Recovery HD provides.

Additional Information
Recovery HD cannot be created on RAID volumes. If your startup device is a RAID volume, you can either back up and reconfigure your computer to use a non-RAID boot volume and, if needed, a RAID volume for data which is not the target of OS X Lion installation. You can also create an external bootable drive with Recovery HD partition, as described above.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 12:41 PM

Is the Recovery HD invisible? I don't see it, but Lion is installed without error messages.

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 12:47 PM

Aahh..
More info is needed...
From me or for you from Apple?

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 01:03 PM

I just meant in general.. yeah, from Apple.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Is the Recovery HD invisible? I don't see it, but Lion is installed without error messages.

Here's an example from my testing. I started with a single 250GB hard drive split into two equal partitions: the first named "Lion Ex," currently running Snow Leopard, and the intended target of the Lion install, and the second named "Timex," the Time Machine backup volume for Lion Ex. The output from the diskutil list command appears below.

/dev/disk1
2: Apple_HFS Lion Ex 125.0 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS Timex 124.6 GB disk1s3
Now here's that same disk after installing Lion, with the new partition highlighted:

/dev/disk1
2: Apple_HFS Lion Ex 124.5 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 654.6 MB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS Timex 124.6 GB disk1s4
The new partition is actually considered a different type: Apple_Boot. The Recovery HD volume won't be automatically mounted upon boot and therefore won't appear in the Finder. It's not even visible in the Disk Utility application, appearing only as a tiny blank space in the partition map for the disk. But as shown above, the command-line diskutil program can see it. Diskutil can mount it too.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 01:13 PM

The recovery partition is hidden. You can see and mount it if you use something like Onyx and show the Debug menu in Disk Utility. Then under the debug menu select list all disks with properties. Recovery HD shows up, you can click it, then click Mount and it shows up!

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 01:24 PM

I know..I just posted something similar...
Thanks. smile

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 01:26 PM

Well if you didn't have such an old POS tower you wouldn't have this problem. smirk

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 01:41 PM

What did you use to modify it?

After the initial 'standard' Boot Camp partition I had decided to re-do it and make it larger; i.e.: increase it to 100 GB. I guess this is considered a 'modification'...

Success! Finally... - 07/20/11 01:47 PM

Following the Apple-instructions, I now have a copy of 'Lion' on a bootable flash drive. Additionally, The 'Lion' installation app has appeared in the applications folder.
I'm still puzzled as to what went wrong. Perhaps it was a 'faulty' download due to our crappy ISP (Charter) and constant short sporadic outages...Who knows.

Re: Success! Finally... - 07/20/11 01:50 PM

Following the Apple-instructions, I now have a copy of 'Lion' on a bootable flash drive. Additionally, The 'Lion' installation app has appeared in the applications folder.
I'm still puzzled as to what went wrong. Perhaps it was a 'faulty' download due to our crappy ISP (Charter) and constant short sporadic outages...Who knows.

I think it's like the kb article stated..

Quote:
The disk has a non-standard Boot Camp partition setup, where further partitioning was performed after running Boot Camp Assistant, or the configuration that Boot Camp Assistant created was manually modified

Re: Uh ohhhh! - 07/20/11 01:52 PM

Well if you didn't have such an old POS tower you wouldn't have this problem. smirk

Haha...
It'son;y 2 years old.. heck.. not even 2 years.

Anyways... I didn't realize you could plug into a Mini display port since they have the same connector..

From the ThunderBolt page..

Quote:
And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter.

Now where am I gonna dig up a grand???

Re: Success! Finally... - 07/20/11 01:54 PM

"I think it's like the kb article stated...." --- Yup, I think so too.

Re: Success! Finally... - 07/20/11 02:00 PM

I also read that if you hold down Alt while clicking the download button at the App Store... it will auto install after downloading.
That's pretty cool... click button and go to work and come home to a Lion in the den.

Hehehe... get it? Lion in the den...

laugh Rawr!

Hehe..get it? I said Rawr!...

LOLOL!! laugh grin

Re: Success! Finally... - 07/20/11 02:30 PM

"I also read that if you hold down Alt while clicking the download button at the App Store... it will auto install after downloading." --- "Alt"? -- You meant "option", right? Surely you're not using a PeeCee whilst browsing 'AppleCentral'? wink

Re: Success! Finally... - 07/20/11 03:20 PM

LOL.... I wasn't even paying attention... just reposting something I saw on another forum. crazy

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 03:28 PM

I don't have anything like that....

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 03:50 PM

Me either, where is this located at?

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 04:23 PM

It looks like root level...

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 04:41 PM

I looked at Root, everywhere. Even Spotlight doesn't find it.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/20/11 05:17 PM

Reboot?
I don't mean the moderator....

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 02:51 AM

Rebooted.. still not there.

I think my install is bad. NO, I know it is.

I can't click Download, says Installed!! crap..now what?

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 03:47 AM

Command + R when I restarted was supposed to install OSX again.

Nope, got an error message. Sent that to Apple

Now I have to reinstall Snow Leopard then Lion again. Fun stuff....not
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/21/11 03:58 AM

If you do not own a credit card how can you download Lion from the Apps Store?Thanks

Re: LION IS LOOSE! - 07/21/11 05:04 AM

Pre-pay card?

otherwise, wait until Apple releases it on a thumb drive next month.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 06:19 AM

Rebooted.. still not there.

I think my install is bad. NO, I know it is.

I can't click Download, says Installed!! crap..now what?

Did it have time to back up on Time Machine???

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 06:25 AM

How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive

Unlike previous versions of Mac OS X, Lion (OS X 10.7) doesn't ship on a bootable disc--it's available only as an installer app downloadable from the Mac App Store, and that installer doesn't require a bootable installation disc. Indeed, this lack of physical media is perhaps the biggest complaint about Lion's App Store-only distribution, as there are a good number of reasons you might want a bootable Lion installer, whether it be a DVD, a thumb drive, or an external hard drive.

For example, if you want to install Lion on multiple Macs, a bootable installer drive can be more convenient than downloading or copying the entire Lion installer to each computer. Also, if your Mac is experiencing problems, a bootable installer drive makes a handy emergency disk. (Lion features a new recovery mode (also called Lion Recovery), but not all installations of Lion get it--and if your Mac's drive is itself having trouble, recovery mode may not even be available. Also, if you need to reinstall Lion, recovery mode requires you to download the entire 4GB Lion installer again.) Finally, a bootable installer drive makes it easier to install Lion over Leopard (assuming you have the license to do so).

Thankfully, it's easy to create a bootable Lion-install volume from the Lion installer. Here's how:

Part 1: For all types of media

1. Once you've purchased Lion, find the Lion installer on your Mac. It's called Install Mac OS X Lion.app and it should have been downloaded to /Applications.

2. Right-click (or Control+click) the installer, and choose Show Package Contents from the resulting contextual menu.

3. In the folder that appears, open Contents, then open Shared Support; you'll see a disk-image file called InstallESD.dmg.

4. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).

5. Drag the InstallESD.dmg disk image into Disk Utility's left-hand sidebar.

The next steps depend on whether you want to create a bootable hard drive or flash drive, or a bootable DVD.

Part 2a: To create a bootable hard drive or flash drive

1. In Disk Utility, select InstallESD.dmg in the sidebar, then click the Restore button in the main part of the window.

2. Drag the InstallESD.dmg icon into the Source field on the right.

3. Connect to your Mac the hard drive or flash drive you want to use for your bootable Lion installer.

4. In Disk Utility, find this destination drive in the sidebar and then drag it into the Destination field on the right. Warning: The next step will erase the destination drive, so make sure it doesn't contain any valuable data.

5. Click Restore and, if prompted, enter an admin-level username and password.

Part 2b: To create a bootable DVD

1. In Disk Utility, select InstallESD.dmg in the sidebar

2. Click the Burn button in the toolbar.

3. When prompted, insert a blank DVD (a single-layer disc should work, although you can use a dual-layer disc instead), choose your burn options, and click Burn.

You can now boot any Lion-compatible Mac from this drive or DVD and install Lion. You can also use any of the Lion installer's special recovery and restore features--in fact, when you boot from this drive or DVD, you'll see the same Mac OS X Utilities screen you get when you boot into restore mode.

Note: As explained in our main Lion-installation article, if you leave the Lion installer in its default location (in /Applications) and use it to install Lion on your Mac's startup drive, the installer will be automatically deleted after the installation finishes. So if you plan to use that installer on other Macs, or to create a bootable disc or drive as explained here, be sure to copy the installer to another drive--or at least move it out of the Applications folder--before you install. If you don't, you'll have to re-download the entire thing from the Mac App Store.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9...mp;pageNumber=1

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 06:37 AM

Since I installed it remotely, that's what happened.

Currently Lion doesn't see my time machine

I backed up everything to my other external drive. Will install SL then Lion when I get home. No more remote install!

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 07:24 AM

I don't know if it may have been renamed... but have you looked in your Applications folder?
Some report that it ends up there...

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 07:30 AM

I don't know if it may have been renamed... but have you looked in your Applications folder?

Mine landed at the root directory on my boot drive. Folder is named, "Mac OS X Install Data." The InstallESG.dmg is in there along with some other files.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 08:52 AM

I know.. but that seems to be the exception...I don't think it's supposed to be there. I can't imagine anything foreign, even an installer, needing to be at the root level in the directory.
Some say it ends up in the app folder...
I believe that it is supposed to delete itself after installing.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 09:34 AM

I know.. but that seems to be the exception...I don't think it's supposed to be there. I can't imagine anything foreign, even an installer, needing to be at the root level in the directory.
Some say it ends up in the app folder...
I believe that it is supposed to delete itself after installing.

I just did a reboot and that folder is still there with all of its contents. Lion likes me better than you, nyah, nyah, nyah! wink

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 09:51 AM

I looked everywhere. Root, applications, home, you name it...I looked. I did a spotlight search for MacOSX, Mac OSX, Lion, 10.7, installer...nothing.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 10:10 AM

Mine is here:

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 10:46 AM

I don't have anything like that....

I have a feeling of deja vu

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 10:49 AM

?? LOL.. I didn't mean to imply a reboot would make it disappear.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 10:55 AM

?? LOL.. I didn't mean to imply a reboot would make it disappear.

It seems that my copy remains, because I installed on an external boot drive.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 10:56 AM

Ahhh...that makes sense.

As far as "my Lion" I am waiting to see what happens to Johns machine first before I go blowing mine up. eek

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 11:03 AM

Well, you have at least 2 and a half more hours to wait until I get home. I may just install SL before I have to leave again.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 11:23 AM

LOL... I'm nowhere near ready to install Lion. I have to weed/update/replace out my PPC apps.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 12:29 PM

Mine remained in the applications folder , and it's still there even after a restart.
I also installed it on an external (flash) drive and made a copy on a DVD.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 01:40 PM

Double clicked on the SL installer DVD:

how do I do a clean install of Snow Leopard?

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 01:49 PM

Some people are finding it under
/Applications/Install MAC OS X Lion

Weird, huh?
Some peeps have it disappear (normal)... and one guy even had it at root level.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 01:57 PM

Restarted off of sL disk after restarting using command + R. Erased HD and am now installing snow leopard

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 02:01 PM

Completely new install... that's good though. It's a PITA but it definitely has its merits.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 03:59 PM

Restarted off of sL disk after restarting using command + R. Erased HD and am now installing snow leopard
Don't forget to run Software Update, probably repeatedly, before you upgrade to Lion.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 04:43 PM

Double clicked on the SL installer DVD:

how do I do a clean install of Snow Leopard?

Hmmm.... I think I'll wait a while with the Lion installation. confused

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/21/11 07:13 PM

Does the last little bit of installation of lion take forever?.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/22/11 03:39 AM

Came down this morning, computer is still saying less than a minute to install. Unplugged firewire time machine and it finished installing.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/24/11 09:46 PM

Though it's probably too late for some of you having download/install issues, but if you haven't downloaded yet, here's some great advice:

Download Lion, the installer will be placed in your Applications folder. BEFORE you install, copy that installer to an external drive, or burn the installer to a DVD for backup. That way you don't have to re-download if you have instal issues.

Re: I think I found the 'culprit'... - 07/25/11 04:01 AM

Ya.. I said something along those lines earlier up...