Illustrator files huge?

Posted by: Jim_

Illustrator files huge? - 05/25/11 03:24 PM

I have a customer that has a 2 page Illustrator CS4 file. There are 2 pages, only about 8.4 x 9 in. each. The embedded pics are 300 dpi each, sized as seen, they are only around 1M in size each average, yet the .ai file is 250M in size!!! Saving as a PDF only takes it down to 210M.

What could be making it so big? The background being done at too high of a resolution?

The fonts are not paths.

I reduced the pdf with ColorSync Utility then made jpgs to be able to post here. Any ideas graphics gurus?

Thx

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/25/11 03:48 PM

Off the top of my head…
#1 Link the files.
#2 Delete unused swatches, brushes, symbols, etc.
#3 Save As and uncheck "Create PDF Compatible File"
#4 Check Illustrator forum wink There are a ton of complaints.
#5 Ask Mr. Dempsey.

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/25/11 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Off the top of my head…
#1 Link the files.
#2 Delete unused swatches, brushes, symbols, etc.
#3 Resave and uncheck "Create PDF Compatible File"
#4 Check Illustrator forum wink There are a ton of complaints.
#5 Ask Mr. Dempsey.

#1, Not embedding would help the .ai file size but do you know if linking makes it smaller proportionately, for example if you don't link 30M worth of files does it only take it down by 30M? If you make a PDF it's going to have embed them anyway though. I could try it but I'm lazy so I'd rather pick brains first. grin

#2, I'll have to check that out.

#3, That cut the .ai file size in half, but when I saved the smaller file as a PDF it went back to 230M.

#4, I know, I just figured after 13+ years I'd ask a question and try and call in some markers here too. grin

#5, You read my mind.

If anyone is so inclined here's the .ai file. http://gesplus.com/files/PRE.ai.zip It's 230M but it's a strong connection. I'm not looking for someone to do the production work. The customer will be doing more of these, but I want to try and find out what it would take for them to do it right in the future. The giving fish vs teaching to fish thing.

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/25/11 06:29 PM

Any transparency or effects? It doesn't look like it.
You mentioned the background. It doesn't look like it needs to be a raster file, but if it is, I'm sure you could reduce the resolution, or recreate it as vector.
I wish Illustrator had better embedded file controls.
With FreeHand you could assign an editor (Photoshop), and either double click to open, or even extract it.
Can't download the file right now, too much to do.

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/25/11 09:38 PM

On a personal note, I hate what has become of vector art in the new age.
I don't need blurs and bevels and lens flares and transparency and drop shadows set to "Multiply" at 34% over a rainbow painted unicorn.

In Illustrator.

<ROFL></ROFL>

"But it doesn't look like the monitor!"

This is…
What will ultimately…
Drive…
Me…
Insane…

Bottom line, and my point is…
File size is still a problem.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 04:47 AM

Is it that huuuuuge ass white background it's on?

Reduce viewing size to 8.33% and you will see what I mean......
I don't know AI from nothing.. but is that the pasteboard? or actual pixels?

Exporting out to a .psd makes the file 11MB.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 07:57 AM

Quote:
they are only around 1M in size each average

Do you mean each original photo was only 1M in size before it was brought into Illustrator? If so, I find that hard to believe ...

The pictures are definitely the space hogs -- I deleted the top left photo on the page with the PR logo on it and saved ~21MB right there. Most have been reduced to ~ 2%, 4% and 7% of their original dimensions, which means the originals are much, much larger. And as you may know, when you size-down a picture in illustrator it doesn't resample the image; all the original data is still there =)
So while the original photos may be 300dpi, the scaled-down ones are effectively many thousands dpi ...

If in Illustrator you use Object -> Rasterize to resample each image to 300dpi and re-save, the resulting file is around 52MB =D

Or, if you have Acrobat, you can save-off the PDF and use the PDF Optimizer in Acrobat to resample everything at once as well as getting rid of Illustrator-specific data, which also cuts-down on file-size =)

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
If in Illustrator you use Object -> Rasterize to resample each image to 300dpi and re-save, the resulting file is around 52MB =D
Wow, thx #6. The logo actually was 3 parts, I rasterized all 3, and the rest of the images, and it's down to 11.5M. I also used transparency background instead of white, when I get a chance I'll try it with white and see if it looks different or or changes size,

Rasterizing won't affect print quality, right? If I enlarge the doc to 600% I can see that it does get rid of some detail though.

I'm going to get in touch with them and get the originals to see what size they really are. cool

Thanks again. I've been in the industry for 25+ years but have always been on the equipment repair side, never had the pleasure of working in production.

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 01:54 PM

Quote:
Rasterizing won't affect print quality, right? If I enlarge the doc to 600% I can see that it does get rid of some detail though.

300dpi is a pretty standard print resolution, so you should be good to go =)

Although if you feel the need to be double-extra-plus sure, you could resample them down to 600dpi and still probably cut down on the file size a good deal.

Also, be sure to keep the original file and work off of copies, since once you reduce the resolution of an image you can't get that data back (for example, if you resample a photo down to 300 dpi, resampling it up after that up to 600dpi won't improve the image quality ... you'd want to go back to the original file, make another copy and resample that down to 600dpi ;-)

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 03:32 PM

I just noticed that I could see a definite difference on screen when I went down to 300, whether it would matter once it hit the press at that small a size (inch wise) I don't know. They are going to print at pretty high res on glossy stock, it's a brochure. Thx.

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Also, be sure to keep the original file and work off of copies
LOL. Yeah thanks, I preach that all the time to my customers.

That's what TimeMachine is for though. grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 04:01 PM

As a photographer working in a print house for over a decade I can tell you this...
When it comes to 8.5x11 inch prints/catalogs/flyers... what you see onscreen at 50% is extremely close to the quality you will see on press.
What you see at 100% onscreen is usually not representative of a press run.

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 04:58 PM

Quote:
What you see at 100% onscreen is usually not representative of a press run.

Indeed! Also, zooming in 600% on a 300dpi image is going to look pretty crappy. The reason the originals look good when you do that is that since they're scaled-down to 4%, their effective resolution is much higher and can stand up much better to that kind of scrutiny ;-)

As an example, the resolution of an image at 300dpi when scaled-down (not resampled) to 4% jumps to a whopping 7,500dpi! -- you'd have to zoom in on that more than 2,500% before you'd even start to see any pixellating ...

Conversely, that same 300dpi image scaled-up (or zoomed-in, in your case) to 600% drops to a pretty crappy 50dpi, which isn't even computer screen resolution =D

If it's still a concern, though, and if you have a decent laser printer or even an inkjet, why not fire-off a print with that and see how it looks? Of course, it wont be nearly as nice as a web press (or whatever), but it should give a decent indication wether the image is going to print pixellated or not =)

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/26/11 10:58 PM

Thanks guys, I understand. Much appreciated.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/30/11 08:11 AM

Once you get everything figured out, you really need to invest in a good baseball bat. Then beat your client silly with it. There's a reason they created page layout programs, and apparently the concept is lost on this particular client.

Re: Illustrator files huge? - 05/30/11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Once you get everything figured out, you really need to invest in a good baseball bat. Then beat your client silly with it. There's a reason they created page layout programs, and apparently the concept is lost on this particular client.
I know, illustration programs are to make illustrations, and page layout programs are for page layouts, what concepts huh? grin Without people like that I wouldn't have a job though. They're getting charged for training. Teaching them Indesign is next.