MacDVDRipperPro

Posted by: yoyo52

MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 02:46 PM

is da bomb. smile
Posted by: trey

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 02:53 PM

Hmm... and here I've been using Mac The Ripper still. Does DVDRipper also compress?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 02:54 PM

Why is it "da bomb"?

Can you be more specific please?

I use RipIt and absolutely LOVE it. It's VERY fast and so easy to use! The only complaint is that once I rip it, I then have to convert the file to something else via Toast. I don't know if it's something I can change in the prefs or not....
Posted by: Papa

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 02:55 PM

Do you still have to donate by leaving an unmarked bag of cash in the alley or is the process a little more open?

Oooops. I was thinking about Mac the Ripper.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 03:02 PM

It rips directly from the DVD to a disc image, but there's no compression available. It's very very fast, though. It'll rip a DVD in 5 minutes and then burn it in not a whole lot more time. The slowest part is the verification.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 03:03 PM

Like I said--it's fast, and rips and burns in one application without fuss or muss.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 03:03 PM

Al,
I don't have it, is there a demo available?

Since I paid for RipIt, I doubt I would switch, but would love to see which is faster. Care to get on iChat and compare?

Or we could do it here...we just need the same movie. Got Forrest Gump?

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 03:04 PM

oh, it burns too?

Not sure why you would want burning feature? hmmm...I just rip so that I can watch later on.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 03:06 PM

There's a MacZot deal running right now--you can get a trial (completely functional for four rips and burns) here. It downloads automatically.

edit: and you can buy it here for US$5.95. You've got to be a MacZot member--free registration.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 03:28 PM

Wait, it doesn't compress? Are you using DL-DVDs? I use Mac The Ripper to get a workable VIDEO_TS folder, then let Toast compress it when I burn. I think it takes about 5-10 minutes on my ancient PM G5 to rip the video from the original disc. Toast, of course, takes awhile to compress all that video.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 04:35 PM

MTR...compresses.. then off to Toast for the burn.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 05:35 PM

Hmm…
MTR strips the Macrovision DRM, but Toast is the one that compresses.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 06:02 PM

OMG! shocked
It works!
Just burned Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law in about half the time of MTR 2.66 and Toast.
Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: on a single layer DVD.

Edit 2: The first advantage of Toast I can see, is the ability to strip languages and burn the main movie only to help the video quality, but I rarely do that.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 06:12 PM

Do you have the newer, paid version of MTR? I'm still using the same one from like five years ago that just takes off the Macrovision, but I've been curious about the newer one.

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 06:37 PM

Yeah, the compression takes place automatically, sort of like in MTR, but faster and easier all around. DL-DVDs need not apply. smile
Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/25/10 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Yeah, the compression takes place automatically, sort of like in MTR
MTR doesn't compress. It removes copy and region restrictions. It also does Main Feature only so it can be put on single layer DVD without compressing.

It does have an ISO setting which does a 1:1 copy sans encryption so it can be burned to dual layer DVD intact.

I'd be surprised if DVDRipperPro can handle all current discs.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/mtr/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=463
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: MacDVDRipperPro - 10/28/10 08:33 PM

My bad.. I can't remember what app I use for compression...
I guess I could just use Toast...