10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting

Posted by: tschick

10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 10:42 AM

After I upgraded to Mac OS 10.2.6, my Western Digital Firewire Drive wouldn't mount. I spoke to Western Digital and they told me my hard disk was damaged and to return it. My problem is 1) I want my data back (anyone know a good program to help, I'm considering buying Disk Warrior) and 2) I'm not sure if I buy the coincidence that after upgrading my Mac, all of a sudden my Western Digital drive is damaged (anyone else have this problem?)<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 10:58 AM

Welcome TSchick.<br><br>When you upgraded to OSX 10.2.6, I'm assuming you had the FW harddrive plugged in? Did you unplug it at all?<br>I do know that firewire drives can be tricky as far as unplugging correctly and all that. I'm sure someone around here can help or confirm that you do need to send it off to WD.<br><br><br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:01 AM

As a matter of fact, it wasn't plugged in. Mac OS 10.2.5 was having problems with hub drives and so I was getting kernel errors and shutdowns. I called AppleCare and they told me to disconnect all my firewire drives and USB hub devices....which I did. The next day I upgraded to 10.2.6 after hearing about the USB hub problems. I tried to plug back in my FireWire drive and that's when it wouldn't mount. Sigh.<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:05 AM

I hope you ejected the drive prior to unplugging....<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:07 AM

AppleCare had me turn off my computer and then unplug everything. So, I didn't drag it to the trash, but I didn't think I needed to if the computer was off. Did I mess up?<br><br>(Thanks for helping with this!)<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:09 AM

Uh oh....I don't think that was good. I think that was your problem right there..<br><br>I'm hoping someone comes along and tells me I'm wrong...<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:11 AM

You know..I bet some cool guy named OSXaddict told you to come here and ask..didn't he? LOL<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:12 AM

I'll sit tight and see if anyone else knows. <br><br>Not to be a pest, but did you see my other question about error messages that fsck and Disk Utility can't fix? Can you be of any assistance there?<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:13 AM

As a matter of fact a really cool guy did. Is that cool guy you by chance??<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:14 AM

Hehe..busted! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:16 AM

Welcome aboard tschick.. And sorry about your HD.. <br><br><br>WaleedsGallery - DigitalEye

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:18 AM

Thanks! This is my first day ever using a discussion group. <br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:23 AM

Was the drive still on when you disconnected it?<br><br>have you tried another firewire port if you have more than one? Have you tried it on another mac?<br><br>Is there a way you can try another Firewire cord? A friend of mine thinks that you may have caused a short in the firewire bus itself if it was still on..and that's a guess. <br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:31 AM

I just went over to the Apple Discussion group and it seems other people are having this problem. I'm wondering if its a 10.2.6 thing.<br><br>The drive was on. Forgive me...what do you mean that I shorted a firewire bus? Does that mean I damaged the cord?<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:34 AM

Oh, and yes, I did try it on another Mac, and it didn't work. And I tried it by booting to OS 9.1 and it didn't show either. <br><br>Another thing I noticed...sometimes the System Profiler doesn't even recognize the firewire drive. Then if I play around with unplugging and restarting, I can get it to recognize that something is connected to the slot, but the drive still doesn't mount.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

My firewire HD is doing fine after the 10.2.6 update, for what that's worth.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: walzuhair

I don't think so.. I have a firewire CD writer that I plug and unplug without powering off my TiBook with no problems.. In the case of HDs a drag to the trash is the same as a shutdown, they both dismount the HD<br><br><br>WaleedsGallery - DigitalEye

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:38 AM

Do you have another firewire cable to see if it's the cable? I'm just trying to eliminate everything else first...<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:40 AM

I don't, but I will go get one. I can't get ahold of DiskWarrior today...apparently something is wrong with their downloading.<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6, FireWire Drive not mounting - 05/10/03 11:42 AM

Well...wait before going out to buy a new cord. Don't want to spend money unnecessarily.<br><br>I'm thinking..<br><br>