Headlines and earnings

Posted by: yoyo52

Headlines and earnings - 04/17/02 05:00 PM

Here's the headline from Reuters: "Apple Steadies as It Rolls Out New iMacs." Here's the headline from CBS: "Apple's second-quarter net income drops." And news reporting is totally objective.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Headlines and earnings - 04/21/02 01:24 PM

One could argue that the CBS hed is more "objective" as it simply sticks to the numbers. That's the bottom line in an earnings report: your net income and whether it's up or down from the same quarter last year.<br><br>But there's a big push to tell readers "what it means" -- the story behind the numbers and what it says about where the company's headed. This can be a tough nut to crack, and often business reporters have to rely on the interpretation of various analysts. My guess is that's what Reuters did.<br><br>As one who makes his living, in part, by writing headlines on business news stories, I can tell you that it ain't always easy. <br><br>Then there's the whole philosphical debate about whether one can even truly be objective ... but that's a whole 'nuther thread. <br><br>I usually think in terms of not is it objective, but rather is it fair.<br><br>