utilities apps

Posted by: musicalmarv7

utilities apps - 03/28/10 06:29 AM

I am new to mac as yesterday I accidentally deleted the apps folder which was located in the dock.I then retrieved it by dragging it from the home folder to the dock it worked. My problem is the utilities apps I cannot get to open in the dock when I try to open it.It keeps copying these items which I know is wrong. How do I drag the utility apps into the apps folder in the dock? My Hd does not show in the screen it is hidden.I try and try with no success at all. Please help me J
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: utilities apps - 03/28/10 08:01 AM

I'm not sure what you're asking. The utilities folder is inside the Applications folder, and should show up in the Applications icon on the dock. If you want to have a separate icon on the dock for the utilities, just drag the utilities folder to the dock. You can choose to have the HD show up on the desktop if you wish. While you're in the Finder, go to the Finder menu up in the left corner of the menu bar. The preferences are in the second menu item. When you open the preferences, go to the General tab, and select the things you want to show up on your desktop. The first item there is the hard disk.

Incidentally, you could drag the HD image to the dock as well. That's kind of overkill, for my tastes.

Re: utilities apps - 03/29/10 03:51 AM

Thanks I understand now. What i did was make a new folder and copy all utilities in the new folder. Dragged it into my documents folder and it works fine now. This takes me a little bit of getting use to know as i am 65 yrs old and not that quick as I use to be.What Mac do you use may I ask? J

Re: utilities apps - 03/29/10 06:20 AM

We have four Macs at home. For my job I got one of the new 13" MacBook Pros with the 2.26 GHz processor. My desktop is an old G5 dual 2 Gig tower. My wife uses a G4 laptop, running at 1.5 GHz. And we have a "house laptop" downstairs, an old 900 MHz iBook G4. I've been using Macs for over 20 years, and have had many machines. They all still work (except for the iBook clamshell that I baptized with some coffee--milk and sugar, please smirk ), so my original Bondi Rev A iMac still works, as does my original Mac 512 Ke, back from 1986, and assorted other machines that are in what my wife calls my Mac museum laugh

What machine do you have?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: utilities apps - 03/29/10 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: jerryfox3
Thanks I understand now. What i did was make a new folder and copy all utilities in the new folder. Dragged it into my documents folder and it works fine now.
The problem with that is when you run system updates it won't update those utilities that you copied over, so as a result some may stop working eventually with updates to the system. It only looks into the Utilities folder to update Utilities, and the Applications folder for Applications to update.

Throw those utilities out of your Documents folder and use the method yoyo mentioned to put an alias of your real Utilities folder in the dock.

Important!!!! Before you throw the utilities away from the Documents folder make sure that you actually copied them and didn't just move them from the original utilities folder. Look in your Utilities folder that is in your Applications folder and make sure they are still there.

Re: utilities apps - 03/29/10 02:11 PM

Good catch!
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: utilities apps - 03/29/10 07:37 PM

Yeah, this is a disaster just waiting to happen...

Re: utilities apps - 03/30/10 04:48 AM

I just bought this Mac which is the new model unibody white plastic 1 month ago in the Philippines where I reside.That is why I am brand new to Mac.I use Windows all my life when i worked in the states.Sometimes I encounter where the touchpad freezes and I cannot scroll at all. This happened twice on the website PC magazine.I have these utilities in my documents folder where i copied it. Why does the moderator say this is a disaster waiting to happen? Thanks for your response J

Re: utilities apps - 03/30/10 08:39 AM

Why does the moderator say this is a disaster waiting to happen? Thanks for your response J
Between MacGizmo and myself there is well over 30 years of Mac experience and repair knowledge.

Trust me, I never lie, and I'm always right. grin smile

I explained why you shouldn't move or copy the utilities in my post above.

The problem with that is when you run system updates it won't update those utilities that you copied over, so as a result some may stop working eventually with updates to the system. It only looks into the Utilities folder to update Utilities, and the Applications folder for Applications to update.

You can make folders and delete folders and files you've made, but never delete folders or files or move stuff around that the operating system installed unless you know for sure it's okay. Most everything that was installed needs to be there and needs to stay where it was put by the installer.
Posted by: zwei

Re: utilities apps - 03/30/10 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
[quote=jerryfox3] Trust me, I never lie, and I'm always right. grin smile

AMEN! laugh
Posted by: Lea

Re: utilities apps - 03/30/10 11:56 AM

I'll ditto, high five and second that. smile

Re: utilities apps - 03/30/10 04:14 PM

Sorry Jerry, I was commenting on the fact that as a new Mac user, you really stepped into a difficult situation. As already stated, you're best off not moving Applications, Utilities, Library folders, or the contents inside them. You're just asking for trouble by doing so. And as a new Mac user, it makes it even more difficult to diagnose and fix the problem because you don't have the knowledge or "Mac vocabulary" to understand what we're saying in some cases.

We'll do our best to help you out, and hopefully you'll get things running properly in short order.

Re: utilities apps - 03/31/10 06:55 AM

I will take your information you gave me and learn from it.Now I have the app activity monitor hanging up on me. I cannot open this app.It worked okay before but now nothing happens.How do I go and undue this mess I made for myself? My Hd is not showing on the screen it is hidden.I made this folder and it copied about 20 apps and it is inside the document folder now. I appreciate it if you can list the steps to get the utility apps and activity monitor back to where it was before. Thanks J Incidentally I use to live in Phoenix Az for 6 months years ago.

Re: utilities apps - 03/31/10 07:13 AM

Since you've only had it a month I would suggest using the Restore discs that came with the computer and wipe and reinstall the whole thing to start fresh.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: utilities apps - 03/31/10 07:48 AM

That is my thought, too. Wipe it clean and start over.

Re: utilities apps - 04/01/10 04:10 AM

When I do this recovery what about all the 650 songs I downloaded from Limewire? I should back it up before I wipe everything clean from the Hard Disc?Thanks J what do you think happened to the Activity Monitor App? cannot open at all.

Re: utilities apps - 04/01/10 04:23 AM

When you launch Activity Monitor does it say Activity Monitor next to the Apple in the upper left of the screen, but no windows open up? Go to the Window menu in the menu bar and reopen the Activity Monitor etc window.

Remember, on the Mac, closing the application window doesn't usually quit the program except for certain Utilities.

Back up what you don't want to lose if you wipe it.

Re: utilities apps - 04/01/10 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Back up what you don't want to lose if you wipe it.

That would be before you wipe it. wink

Re: utilities apps - 04/02/10 04:44 AM

When I went to the menu this cannot open up as it keeps going the little circle round and round and the app just hangs.I really messed this app up.Yesterday I used the apps dvd and all the apps went into the HD and when I opened it up no activity monitor was listed at all.I am really confused. J

Re: utilities apps - 04/02/10 05:31 AM

Yesterday I used the apps dvd and all the apps went into the HD and when I opened it up no activity monitor was listed at all.I am really confused. J
I don't understand what you did exactly, maybe it's just a matter of we're using different terminology.

What is the "apps DVD" and what do you mean by they went into the HD, did you run an installer?

Re: utilities apps - 04/04/10 06:48 AM

I am old and stupid at 65 years old and maybe should have stuck with the windows applications instead.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: utilities apps - 04/04/10 07:10 AM

Actually... once you learn a few basics of the Mac system... you will have less problems than with Windows.
I guarantee it.

Absolutely no viruses is a good example. Have you ever been tearing your hair out trying to rid a PC of an infection? Most people have to call someone.
Then there is the cost of an antivirus app with subscription renewals each year.
While it is prudent to run AV on a Mac... I don't and haven't in several years.

You have inadvertently moved system files and it's not a common problem.. I hardly ever see this issue.

Do you have the install disks that came with the machine?

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 06:52 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I would like to ask you can you open apps and utilities under the finder app? Is not the dock just a short cut for the other apps and utilities? One more question please when you make a new folder how do you drag the apps into the folder on the dock? Thanks J do have all the install discs.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 07:05 AM

Yes, you can open apps/utilities under the Finder. Just open up the Finder and navigate to the program/utility you want.

OR, you can go to the Spotlight icon (top right of your window), type in the application/utility that you want and it'll start right up.

Not sure why you would want to create a new folder and put applications in it and put it on the dock? Yes, the dock is a shortcut to applications/folders, so what you are asking is to duplicate something that doesn't need duplicating.

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 07:19 AM

One more question please when you make a new folder how do you drag the apps into the folder on the dock? Thanks J do have all the install discs.
Make aliases (shortcuts) using the Command-L keys, of the applications and put those into the folder in the dock.

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 07:29 AM

If you put a folder in the dock, the icon that ends up on the dock is what you call a shortcut to the actual folder (in Apple-speak we call it an alias). So if you want something to show up in the folder that appears in the dock, just put the item into the actual folder. If you want to put something new into the folder, to get to the actual folder just click on the dock icon and select Open in Finder.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first question about opening apps under the Finder. The Finder just gives you visual access to all of the material on your hard drive, from utilities to apps, from documents to preference panes. So you use the Finder globally to see the object you want to open, and you double click on the object to open it. The dock, as you know, just gives you immediate access to whatever you've put on the dock via the alias for the item. If it helps, here's a picture of my dock:

(Open in a new window to embigify)

I have all of the apps that I use regularly immediately in the dock, starting from the Finder at the left to the icon for Excel on the right, which is on there because the application is open. To the right of the Excel icon, I have an icon that looks like a typewriter. That's an alias for the folder where I keep all of the writing/office applications, from the MS products to Text Edit, Keynote, Pages, etc. Next to that is the icon of a projector, an alias for the folder where I keep all of the apps that have to do with visuals of any sort. The next one is a Mailbox icon, and that's an alias for the folder where I keep all of the utilities. The next two icons are for documents. The first is for all of the files I use in my work, and the second for all of the files I use for my house stuff.

One more thing. The folders represented by the typewriter, projector, and mailbox have in them the aliases of the actual applications. The reason I do that is what Reboot explained earlier, that the applications themselves ought to remain in the Applications folder. I could have put the Applications folder itself in the dock, but as I think I said somewhere or other, for me that's overkill. I don't need immediate access to every single application on my HD. Anyway, some applications are nested inside folders within the folder for the particular application, and so it's awkward to get to the application if what's in the dock is the Applications folder itself.

Do you know how to make aliases of things on the HD? Just click on the object, whether an application or a document, and control click. In the menu that pops up, select Make Alias. That's it--and you can move that alias wherever you want and when you double click it, or click its image in the dock, it will invoke the original object.

One more thing. I use different icons for folders that include different categories of applications and documents because I find it easier to navigate the dock that way. I know what's in the typewriter icon, for instance, without having to search around for the folder that I need. You can change the icon that designates a folder very easily. To do so, select the folder and get the information window on the folder (Command-i or under the File menu). Do the same for the icon that you want to use to replace the default one--get the information window for the icon. In the upper left of the information window you'll see a representation of the icon. Click on it and hit Command-c to copy it. Then go to the information window for the folder, click on the icon in the upper left of that window, and hit Command-v to paste it. Presto-change-o the icon changes for the folder.

Again, changing the icon is not necessary, but at least for me it makes life easier.
Posted by: Ben Dover

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 09:05 AM

Yeah, what you said.

The way I do it is to just have the most frequently / repetitively accessed apps in the dock, along with the Terminal app, Activity Monitor, etc. The Activity Monitor is more to just kill processes if the OS hangs, since the dock still normally remains responsive if the OS hangs or freezes (but it's really unnecessary, as the OS doesn't do that, but it's always nice to have a backup plan).

All apps go in the Applications directory, of course, however with a ton of them, my penchant for visual organizational structure suffers (despite that being an obsolete concept, but then I'm a dinosaur), so what I do is to make categorized folders with the aliases of corresponding apps in those folders, such as a folder for the Apple apps (with those aliases in them), a folder for third party utilities (with those aliases in them), graphics folder, etc, etc. This comes in handy as I use FinderPop a lot as a launcher or to open docs in other-than-their-mapped application, as well as to move, copy or alias docs to different locations, etc.

Ed

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 04:32 PM

Jerry,

When I want an app in the dock I navigate to that app in the App folder, launch app and then navigate back to the Dock. It will active on the right hand side of Dock.
Click and Hold for a few seconds... you will get options which include letting it reside in the Dock permanently. For apps which I have launched recently and are not in the Dock.. I navigate to the Apple in the upper left corner and down to Recent Items/Applications.

Otherwise I just hit the key combo Shift-Apple-A which brings up the app folder quickly.

It may seem weird at first... but it will become second nature very quickly.

Oh.. and to organize the app aliases in the Dock... just click and hold on one foe a moment.. then drag to where you want it.
Posted by: carp

Re: utilities apps - 04/05/10 09:34 PM

Dang it , Yoyo read your email laugh their stacking up

Re: utilities apps - 04/06/10 07:01 AM

Thanks for responding back to me. It takes some time to get use to.Like everything in life.J

Re: utilities apps - 04/06/10 07:04 AM

Thanks for helping me out as a novice to Apple.J
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: utilities apps - 04/06/10 07:38 AM

I hope you got things figured out.

If needed, look me up on iChat: jbr123064 Sometimes it's hard to get across what you need/want over this.

Re: utilities apps - 04/06/10 02:48 PM

Most of us have learned by doing exactly what you've been doing. Trash it, get help, fix it. Just remember, a file system is a file system. Whatever you did (and couldn't do) on a Windows PC is pretty much the same on a Mac (unless, of course, you really trashed a PC too).

Re: utilities apps - 04/06/10 04:57 PM

Thanks for responding back to me. It takes some time to get use to.Like everything in life.J

Amen Brother!!

Here's some help on the Apple site that you might find useful.
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Re: utilities apps - 04/07/10 04:27 AM

I reformatted the HD and everything works fine. I was really amazed at what the apps Garage band can do for you. No where can windows come close to this at their programs at all. I read the support you can get from Apple from their own website and all you guys helping me out I appreciate this immensely.I use to belong to the Asus site and hardly anyone responded at all not like Mac here.J

Re: utilities apps - 04/07/10 08:32 AM

Great!

You have a veritable wealth of knowledge in this forums members.. right at your fingertips.

Enjoy.

Re: utilities apps - 04/08/10 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Great!

You have a veritable wealth of knowledge in this forums members.. right at your fingertips.

Enjoy.

Jerry - David is right .
Not only Mac help questions but pretty much anything else , this forum has a broad range of members in many different industries .

Re: utilities apps - 04/08/10 05:59 AM

I really appreciate all the help you gave me so far. I reside in the Philippines and their knowledge of Mac is not like in the states.I really miss the USA a lot as it has been over 3 1/2 years I have not been back there. J
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: utilities apps - 04/08/10 03:03 PM

Another satisfied user! I'm so glad you've gotten back on your [Mac] feet, J. Hope you stick around here.

You know, many of us have been a part of this forum over 10 years! Some of us didn't know diddly squat about a lot of Mac stuff. We still continue to grow and can relate to you and the problems you had in getting started.

I'm retired but worked for the State of Oregon for 22 years. Much of the latter part of that time, I worked on a PC! I was so happy to get home to my Macintosh in the evenings. Now I've forgotten much of what I knew about PCs and am confident using my iMAC 24inch.

Later,
Kate

Re: utilities apps - 04/09/10 05:53 AM

Kate it is refreshing talking to a senior as I am a senior myself. I have been semi retired since 62 years old. I discovered the garageband lately and would like to ask you about the magic garage band which actually is the purpose of this app? I find out quit intriguing when I did it the first time.Do you think in your opinion Mac will start using the new i processors soon in their laptops?Take care J

Re: utilities apps - 04/09/10 08:55 AM

I will let Kate answer for herself.. but here is a decent overview off the app.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GarageBand

Re: utilities apps - 04/09/10 11:06 PM

Jerry

Check out Apples , Garage Band How to Videos

In fact on Apples web site they have How To Videos for every app . Go for it .

Re: utilities apps - 04/10/10 06:08 AM

I was referring to the Magic Garage Band Apps.What can you do with this? I know you can make different melodies and have various instruments play and fade out.Thanks J

Re: utilities apps - 04/10/10 07:50 AM

Ahhh.. I don't use that app and thus wasn't aware of this new "Magic" stuff.
I did find some Q and A's on the discussion forums.
http://discussions.apple.com/search.jspa?objID=c127&search=Go&q=magic

Re: utilities apps - 04/11/10 04:43 AM

Does anyone know about this magic garage band app? thanks J

Re: utilities apps - 04/11/10 05:04 AM

Looks like it is part of Garageband. A simple Google search turns up quite a few articles on it and how to use it. I'm sure there are Apple tutorials on Apple's web site as has been pointed out already.

Re: utilities apps - 04/12/10 06:31 AM

Kate I am sorry if I offended you by mentioning senior. J

Re: utilities apps - 04/12/10 11:11 AM

It takes a lot to offend Kate. wink

I was asked recently if I wanted my senior discount. I thought, but I'm not....wait! I guess I am that old. OK. laugh

Re: utilities apps - 04/12/10 11:46 AM

Yeah, I doubt you offended Kate, Jerry. Most of us have pretty thick skins around here.

smile

Re: utilities apps and secondly Ruski - 04/12/10 07:21 PM

"Kate it is refreshing talking to a senior as I am a senior myself. I have been semi retired since 62 years old. I discovered the garageband lately and would like to ask you about the magic garage band which actually is the purpose of this app? I find out quit intriguing when I did it the first time.Do you think in your opinion Mac will start using the new i processors soon in their laptops?Take care J "

Oh my gosh Jerry. I missed your post. No offense taken at senior mention. I am the second senior female in this forum. There is one older woman forum member who has been known to dance on a table top in her elder years. Ha! Her name is Ruski. She's a neat lady who hasn't participated actively in the past couple of years. Her son stops by the forums now and then too. If it were not for the fact that I suffer oldtimerz, I could remember his name. smile smile smile

magic garage band
I don't know about that. The only time I get into Garageband is when my son or grandsons are in my home messing around with it. It looks fun but I soon lose interest when putzing with it myself.

i processors soon in their laptops
Don't know much about processors or laptops. I like to read discussions on most anything Macintosh. Sometimes I will even Google a subject and offer up things I find there if I believe it might be enlightening to someone having a problem or asking a question.

This year I will be 74 years old. It is my practice to then say, when asked how old I am, I am in my 75th year! I will be too until next year when I will be 7t and in my 76th year. Ha. [And, six months into the year I actually forget just how old I actually am!]

Posted by: drjohn

Re: utilities apps and secondly Ruski - 04/12/10 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

Her son stops by the forums now and then too. If it were not for the fact that I suffer oldtimerz, I could remember his name. smile smile smile

That, I believe, would be Missasauga (Alec).

Re: utilities apps and secondly Ruski - 04/12/10 09:26 PM

That's it!

I forget my own sons names at times. . .

I was trying to think how I could search the forum to find his name, but if I don't know his name . . . ?? either one of them . . .

Re: utilities apps and secondly Ruski - 04/13/10 04:50 AM

GOD BLESS YOU and may you have many more good years ahead to enjoy your Mac and have good friends on this website as I can see.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 03:46 AM

Let me ask you a question please I just bought this new unibody white laptop $1000 in March in the Philippines. Now Apple came out with the new i processors 5i and 7i in the pro series. Would you sell this laptop if you were me and get the newest processors or keep what you have? Is there a big difference you think? Thanks J

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 05:11 AM

The white MacBook nor the 13" aluminum Pro models didn't change to the new i processors, just the MacBook Pro 15" and 17" lines. Your model has been through 2 speed bumps, yours is a 2.0 Ghz that came out in January 2009, the 2.13 was in May, the 2.26 Ghz was in October. The clock speeds changed a little but the logic board speed changed quite a bit with each model. 667, to 800, to 1066 Mhz, so the newer ones are a little faster. Probably not enough to justify spending another $1000 unless you have an extra $1000 laying around you don't know what to do with.

I doubt the 13" MacBooks will get the i processors for a while. They are a very nice machine, but Apple keeps the price low by not changing much on the 13" models.

The 15" and 17" Pro line got the i chips, they are faster, and more for people that do graphics, video, etc on them, but they are also a lot more expensive. The 15 and 17 have the dedicated graphics chip, along with the shared video chip for longer battery life if one wants to use it.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 08:03 AM

The 15 and 17 have the dedicated graphics chip, along with the shared video chip for longer battery life if one wants to use it.

Really? Isn't that unusual...or do you see that in other brands?

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 08:13 AM

Not sure if that is unusual, but the new MBPs can switch, on the fly, between the dedicated and shared GPUs depending on the need. Previous models required the user to switch between them.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 08:45 AM

The 15 and 17 have the dedicated graphics chip, along with the shared video chip for longer battery life if one wants to use it.

Really? Isn't that unusual...or do you see that in other brands?
I don't care about other brands. grin

I don't know if the PC world does that or not.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Not sure if that is unusual, but the new MBPs can switch, on the fly, between the dedicated and shared GPUs depending on the need. Previous models required the user to switch between them.
I didn't realize that, you used to have to log out to switch.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 09:02 AM

From Apple's site :

Quote:
On-demand performance.
Off-the-charts efficiency.

The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models come standard with automatic graphics switching. Itís a breakthrough technology from Apple that switches graphics processors on the fly to give you performance when you need it (when youíre playing the latest 3D game, for example) and better battery efficiency when you donít (such as when youíre reading email). MacBook Pro transfers the workload between the powerful discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor and integrated Intel HD Graphics so seamlessly, you wonít even notice. Whether youíre using applications like Aperture, Motion, or Final Cut Pro or just surfing the web, your MacBook Pro always knows which processor to use. You donít have to log out, shut down, or change your preferences. Automatic graphics switching does it all for you.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 11:12 AM

Let me rephrase.. on what models did this start?

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 11:19 AM

I'm guessing the previous product refresh?

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 11:48 AM

Just the current models. I haven't been in front of one yet but the ones that came out last year can't do that.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 11:50 AM

Is NG4 referring to the dual GPUs or to the new auto-switching?

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 11:52 AM

I looked it up with MacTracker. Early 2009 which was 2 refreshes back.

I was referring to the dual GPUs.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 12:01 PM

Back to your original question: Are MBPs the only laptops to use multiple GPU configurations, or are there similar designs/options on the PC side?

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 12:34 PM

Go back a couple of clicks, Late-2008 was the first dual GPU. I have donated to MacTracker a few times, I use it all the time.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Back to your original question: Are MBPs the only laptops to use multiple GPU configurations, or are there similar designs/options on the PC side?
Looking around it seems some PC's have dual GPU's, but I think they run in parallel or something for more speed, not one for power saving and one for performance like the MBP.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/6931/1

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 03:29 PM

Yes, you are correct. I was only looking at the 17". It was introduced first in 15" in late 08.

:rollseyes:

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 06:51 PM

Yes, you are correct.
Well, yeah.

But you own the dancing girl. cool

What year was that?

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 07:35 PM

I started "using" grin the dancing girl in Sept 04.
She was retired from time to time..

Thanks for reminding me.. I should change her out for something else again.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 07:38 PM

No no no!!! At least relegate her to avatar.

Re: utilities apps - 04/14/10 07:39 PM

There... is that better???
grin grin wink

Re: utilities apps - 04/15/10 04:25 AM

That is a great asset when you play games I presume. For a novice like me just browsing the net or doing creative writing this machine is good enough for me.Also downloading songs from limewire and using the photos apps good for me also. Are you going to buy this new pro laptop with their new i processors eventually? J

Re: utilities apps - 04/15/10 04:53 AM

Also downloading songs from limewire

I don't condone or condemn.... but such topics are usually not discussed in here. No harm.. just letting you know that we keep everything on the up and up in here and if such things are discussed it is via PMs.

Re: utilities apps - 04/15/10 05:59 AM

There... is that better???

I liked it but, but, but... grin

Re: utilities apps - 04/16/10 06:11 AM

I do not understand when I download songs from limewire this is not illegal at all.Why is this a problem you might ponder about?I do everything the right way.J

Re: utilities apps - 04/16/10 06:44 AM

If the songs are copyrighted material, which about 99.9999% of all mainstream music, and the music on Limewire is, it is illegal to obtain it without buying them. What are some of the artists you listen to?

Re: utilities apps - 04/16/10 05:30 PM

I do not understand when I download songs from limewire this is not illegal at all.Why is this a problem you might ponder about?I do everything the right way.J

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_downloading_songs_from_LimeWire_illegal_or_legal
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/is_limewire_illegal.html

Re: utilities apps - 04/17/10 06:18 AM

I download classical music, jazz, and popular music from frank sinatra to diana krall.

Re: utilities apps - 04/17/10 06:58 AM

That's also copyrighted material. I have all sorts of conceptual problems with the way that copyright works in relation to digital music--but the law's the law, and until the law changes . . . well, it's the law.

Re: utilities apps - 04/17/10 10:15 AM

Jerry - not trying to scare ya but be careful with that stuff .

My daughter downloaded some movies from some web site P2P kind . Later we got a real nasty letter from our ISP saying that they have gotten a complaint (movie industry I guess)

Anyway the letter basically said - If we don't stop downloading copy righted material , THEY WILL TAKE ACTION . So they gave us a warning at lease .

Re: utilities apps - 04/17/10 12:14 PM

Oh you can't be serious with that comment... NOBODY is that stupid.

Re: utilities apps - 04/18/10 04:40 AM

I live in Asia and this is a file sharing website. Limewire will charge 27cents a song if you belong to the Limewire Pro which I do not. J

Re: utilities apps - 04/18/10 11:20 AM

Does not matter what country or what planet you live on , if it is copy righted material , it is illegal sharing , more so them P2P sites .

Certainly there are some free music and movies out there but those are at the artist request or their permission .

If I bought a music CD for example and you listen to it then that fine .
If I bought a music CD and gave that to you then its a gift then thats fine.
If I bought a music CD and up loaded to a P2P site and you Download the CD then thats illegal .

Keep in mind that;
Business like restaurants pay a subscription to play music while you dine .
Radio stations now I believe pays a small fee for music over the air to RIAA

Bottom line;
Its not free unless the artist or studio says so .

Re: utilities apps - 04/18/10 04:40 PM

He may be referring to this.. in which case I stand corrected.

http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2008/03/limewire-launch/

From Wiki..

LimeWire Store

LimeWire now offers a service called LimeWire Store that offers single songs for US$0.99 each as well as subscription plans that discount the per-song cost to as low as $0.27. Video content is available as well but has a limited catalog.[17] This service is currently only available in the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire

Re: utilities apps - 04/18/10 05:11 PM

He lives in the Philippines , which that service is not available .

I don't think that Jerry knowingly is doing anything wrong , just not informed .

After all millions didn't think anything about it either until RIAA and artist started to bring up that issue of what is legal sharing . Before even I downloaded some stuff .

Re: utilities apps - 04/19/10 04:32 AM

You are correct this service is not available here in the Philippines. This is the reason I have downloaded these songs. Thanks J