Fight Spam

Posted by: Anonymous

Fight Spam - 05/26/01 11:19 AM

go here: http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html<br>"This JavaScript program enables you to encode your e-mail address with Character Entities, a hexadecimal code to produce the 256 ISO characters. Simply enter your regular e-mail address in the first text form, click the encode button, and then highlight and copy the resulting code produced in the second text form. This coded e-mail address can be read with almost any browser and doesn't require any JavaScript or Java. Just replace all instances of your e-mail address on your pages with the code, and you won't have to worry about spam lists."<br><br>further: http://www.creativesconnect.com/stuff/ascii to entity.run.sit.hqx it's an AppleScript that will encode any text from ASCII to entities... quoth the fine folk at creativesconnect.com: "We've used the script for some time for other purposes, I just made some minor adjustments to cope specifically with email addresses. Should run on MacOS 9.x, may run on 8.x." <br><br><br><br>

Re: Fight Spam - 05/26/01 11:24 AM

MacInTouch !<br><br>;-)<br><br>Vijay<br><br>

Re: Fight Spam - 05/26/01 11:27 AM

well of course it is, and glad to see you have some knowledge of Mac sites... now, gather up info and tips from those other Mac sites and post them here...<br><br>

Re: Fight Spam - 05/26/01 11:43 AM

Ok. I will see what I can dig up.<br><br>Vijay<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Fight Spam - 05/27/01 02:02 PM

another great thing for "earthlink users" is the Spaminator.<br><br>I didn't know about the spaminator for almost a year, but if you're an earthlink member, (or mindspring, or one of the other ISP's they've bought over the years, I'm sure) goto:<br><br>http://spaminator.earthlink.net/ and sign up for the Spaminator... it'll grab the spam at earthlink's end... and let the rest of your email through... it's damn near perfect... and better than Entourage's spam filter by far....<br><br>Used to be at that other Mac website... like it here now.

Re: Fight Spam - 05/29/01 10:09 AM

Another great way to "help" fight spam is to tell your friends who forward yahoo! jokes to you (I am sure we all know a few of those!)<br>that instead of just forwarding that email to you, they can send it to themselves and in the "BCC" (Blind Carbon Copy, dugh) they can put as many people as they like so when you/we receive that email, we only see the address of the sender. And that goes for us too! never send out emails with private email addresses to people. You never know who is a spammer. and who and where that email will eventually end up. So...There is my tip. <br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Fight Spam - 05/29/01 04:52 PM

apart from the bleeding obvious which is never ever give anyone your email... you can turn off auto download of HTML graphics... you can set the size of mail to be automatically retrieved at say 40k or less, thus leaving all attachments on server and able to be deleted without bringing them in.<br>you can filter known annoying spammers who have found you to the trash and set scripts to empty trash after each mail collection.<br>you can use an email account which allows you to leav all mail you don't want there and be deleted from there.. I find hotmail useful for this as if you want to send me mal via hotmail, don't ever expect me to read it...but mac.com is by far the best method of co-ordinating and deleting all spam, without needing to read it and without letting them know your real mail.<br><br>its all a dream, light passing by on a screen, speeding through the universe, thinking is the best way to travel. ~ Pinder ~