programs all quit

Posted by: Anonymous

programs all quit - 02/27/02 09:45 AM

I have a problem where all my programs "unexpectedly" quit one after another, including Finder -- which of course means I have to restart. Our tech guy has tried everything he can think of, including installation of a faster hard drive. The weird thing is that this almost always happens at the end of my shift -- as if the computer (a blue and white G3) just got tired.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: programs all quit - 02/27/02 04:59 PM

I think the timing is just coincidence (unless of course you surreptitiously pull the plug on program after program ).<br><br>What has the tech guy tried, do you know? This is what I'd do, anyway:<br><br>1) make sure enough RAM is allocated to each app<br>2) use DiskWarrior<br>3) rebuild the desktop<br>4) zap pram<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: programs all quit - 03/03/02 10:30 AM

I have a feeling he's tried those things, or at least something similar, but I'll go through your list anyway -- just in case. Thanks for the suggestions.<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: programs all quit - 03/03/02 12:27 PM

not sure what system you are talking about, or if it is hacked in any small ways but if it is OS 9.1 or 9.2 and you are still using older extensions, controls, csm's, cmm's then you likely have a conflict or a memory issue or damaged files. Usually it is something of the above that keeps corrupting your system heap. If you use MacsBug you may notice a constant like "set icon device- failed". <br>•Do a check of the system folder for corrupted files with Conflict Catcher (if you have it) and you may find a corrupted font perhaps... If you use IE or Office reinstall them. <br>•Check that here is more than 10% on each partition.. free disc space.<br>•Memory is a biggie.<br>•Use Norton/Tech Tool to look for damaged files elsewhere, do a DiskWarrioring.<br>•Turn all extensions off and start again installing them one by one until a problem any problem resurfaces and repair it.<br>•Back up optimize and reinstall system and renew or update all programs<br>•Carbon lib will play havoc with all sorts of things unless you check that you have the latest carbon lib or that the applications you are using have a preference for a particular version#<br>•Extension strip plays up for me but then I have a heap of old csm's.<br>I did all the above and installed OS 9.2.2 then found that I really had to chuck out a lot of my older bits and pieces and dodads, I found damaged files everywhere.<br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================

Re: programs all quit - 03/05/02 08:07 AM

Actually, we're still using OS 8.6 -- but I'll make sure we've checked out your suggestions.<br><br>Why, you might ask, are we not using OS 9? Here's the story I get. Keychain is to blame. We're on a LAN with several servers, some of which have tons of huge files. Keychain apparently wants passwords for all these servers, and takes forever to check them out because they have so many files on them. Apparently it's easier to just stick with OS 8.6.<br><br>Has anyone else run across this problem? Is there a workaround?<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: programs all quit - 03/05/02 04:59 PM

no problemo with keychain, if you trust each other.. just switch it off .. drop all Keychains parts into respective (Disabled) folders.<br><br>I have always disabled Keychain .. it really does make computing a horrendous or useful experience depending upoin your own requirements and trust levels.<br><br>For me personally, with my typing skills and sticky old keyboard .. Keychain and voice recognition are security threats .. far greater than the thought of others breaking in.. I want to be able to access my computer .. and within 24 hours.. smile so disabled they are.<br><br>In many ways .. I think you are probably much better off to stay in OS 8.6 <br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================