Serious problem

Posted by: papabill

Serious problem - 02/05/10 01:53 AM

Finally got an unused copy of 10.2, but EVERY TIME I try (3 times so far) I try to install it, it goes up to a certain point and everyting freezes. Usually within 15 minutes (so it says) of completion.

HELP!!!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 06:09 AM

Which machine are you attempting the install on? Clean HD, or just installing over what is already there?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 07:33 AM

When the installer is launched and before you begin installing, go up to the menu bar and find "Disk Utility"... format the drive and do a clean install.
I'm assuming this is the iMac you are installing X on, right?
Posted by: Trog

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 09:16 AM

Why 10.2?? Just curious why anyone would be so many years behind, since there wouldn't be any updates and support for it.

The first thing the OS X installers do is a (very lengthy) check of the disk. On an older system it could easily take 15 minutes or more. Does your install get through that portion or could you have a faulty DVD by chance?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 11:27 AM

We'd love to help you on this so if you answer our questions, try what we suggest or let us know why you didn't or couldn't, and give us follow-ups on the results it would make our job easier. I tried in a couple of posts to find out how much RAM and how big the hard drives are on each machine but have got no response. We suggested replacing the PRAM battery which can cause all sorts of weird problems too.

Which machine are you trying this on. How big is the hard drive, and how much RAM.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh, it is good to have you join the forums. There's a good group of knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to bend over backwards to help. Help us help you papabill. smile

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Trog
Why 10.2?? Just curious why anyone would be so many years behind, since there wouldn't be any updates and support for it.

The first thing the OS X installers do is a (very lengthy) check of the disk. On an older system it could easily take 15 minutes or more. Does your install get through that portion or could you have a faulty DVD by chance?

Trog... he is new and retired and on a fixed income. He is making this work on less than a shoestring budget.
Someone most likely gave him the 10.2 disk.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 12:09 PM

Just to fill you in a bit more stranger Trog. More that you've missed. smile He has beige G3, and a Grape iMac. The G3 will only take up to 10.2 without the geekery of XPostFacto.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 02:21 PM

All right, I'm back again. Been volunteer teaching today.
Quote:
Which machine are you attempting the install on? Clean HD, or just installing over what is already there?
I'm trying to install 10.2 on the Platinum G3. I booting from the CD and when it asks, I tell it to format the HD and do a clean install. I tell it NOT to install all those foreign languages (I speak North Carolina English-that's all smile )
Quote:
Why 10.2??
The reasons I'm trying 10.2 are these: I was told that 10.2 is the newest OS the old G3 would run without serious geek-ifying (which I'm not), and yes, a shoe string-budget (this was the CHEAPEST I could find.) I tried to get a copy of OS 9.2, but the other bidders bit it out of my reach.
Quote:
We'd love to help you on this so if you answer our questions, try what we suggest or let us know why you didn't or couldn't, and give us follow-ups on the results it would make our job easier.I tried in a couple of posts to find out how much RAM and how big the hard drives are on each machine but have got no response. We suggested replacing the PRAM battery which can cause all sorts of weird problems too.
I apologize if I seem non-responsive. I thought I had already posted all I know about this machine. If not, here is all I know:
Code:
PowerPC G3, 266Mhz, 512 Cache, 32Mb/6Gb/24X CD/Zip/AV MM4405
As far as the PRAM is concerned, it's in a place I cannot get (Osteo-arthritis prevents me from doing any serious hardware work)
Quote:
He has beige G3, and a Grape iMac.
And since the iMac is the only thing running now (and I still haven't found a keyboard for it), I'm not about to attempt to even touch it for now.
Quote:
The G3 will only take up to 10.2 without the geekery of XPostFacto.
And again, with the minitower not running, I can't even try to download/install it (even if I did know what it was and how to install it.)
Quote:
He is making this work on less than a shoestring budget. Someone most likely gave him the 10.2 disk.
Actually, I hadda buy the OS, but you are right, I AM on less than a shoestring budget. wink

I'll be glad to do anything I can to co-operate. And I do appreciate all the help I've already gotten.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 02:53 PM

Okay, if that G3 only has 32M of RAM, I don't see how the 10.2 installer even starts. I would not have even recommended that you try and run it. If that is all that's in it that may be the problem. Is that info on the tag on the computer, or did you get it from the computer when it was running 8.6. When it was running 8.6 it was possible to see how much RAM was in it by About this Computer under the Apple Menu, or with System Profiler

I don't know if the 10.2 installer offers a System Profiler option in the menu. After you chose a language go to the menu bar and see if it is under any of the drop down menus. It is in what is called the Utilities menu on 10.4 and later, I forget if it's called Utilities or Other or something else in 10.2.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 03:12 PM

This is the info on the tag on the rear of the machine.

I just opened the machine and found 3 sticks of memory with this on them:
Code:
pc-100-222-620
256 mb synch 100 mhz

So, I'm sure there is more than 32Mb of memory.

Should I try to reinstall 8.6 on it and go from there (upgrade to 10.2)

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 03:32 PM

Here's the latest update:

I restarted everything. As I was closing the machine up, I hit the reset button again and rebooted.

I told it to install on the 6Gb HD, erase and install, leave out the foreign language stuff, and continue. It did everything pretty well, installed the "Base System", counting down to 24 minutes left, started installing the "Essential System Software" till it got to 9 minutes. The screen froze, mouse stopped responding, and one minute later, the monitor went to sleep.

So, here we are.

Ideaz??

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 03:43 PM

Plenty of RAM, 768M. Try installing 8.6 again, let's see if it can still do that.

You might try 10.2 one more time, but this time go to the menu after the Language choice and look for Disk Utility, see if you can successfully format the disk from there. Make it Mac OS Extended, it may say HFS+, and if they have a choice for Journaled use that. You'll see a disk with some manufacturer name/#, with the name of your hard drive to the right and down one step. Choose the one with the manufacturers name/# to erase, also choose a name for your disk on the right before you erase, it defaults to untitled when you erase it.

10.2 not installing could even be a bad RAM chip. OS X is less tolerant of marginal RAM. What ran in 8 or 9 may not in X. You could try it with one 256M RAM chip at a time. It will install and run with 256, but much slower than with 768.

Sure would like to try that battery out though. They are around $15 at Radio Shack, a bit of change to spend if that's not the problem, but ebay has one for $5.98 shipped.

I'm surprised the iMac doesn't need one too. If you turn it off and unplug it for a while, or over night, does the time reset?

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 03:50 PM

Installing 8.6 as we speak. Seems to be doing well.

The iMac bettery holds good time. It took several days to ship to me and a day or two before I could find a USB mouse to hook to it, but the time was still correct.

What is the max mem this G3 Minitower will hold? I have several sticks of 500Mb PC 100 memory from my PCs

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 03:53 PM

I don't know if the manual erase before installing thing I posted above would matter, probably not, but it won't hurt to to try, I'm leaning more toward bad RAM, or even a bad installer CD.

Edit - Are the CD's clean and not badly scratched?

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 03:55 PM

You're at the maximum RAM BTW.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 04:02 PM

Well, it took 8.6 without a hitch. Nothing on here, though, can't connect to the internet (LAN is in place, just not set up on the machine.)

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 04:09 PM

Set TCP/IP in Control Panels to Ethernet DHCP? Restart with the LAN cable plugged in, some models were funny like that, they needed to see a live line at start up to activate the port.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 04:12 PM

Just wonering--is a 6 GB drive large enough to install 10.2? Reboot?

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 04:30 PM

If you don't install languages, printers, cups, if it had a choice, or X11, if X11 was on 10.2, I forget. There would be plenty of room, so to speak. Slimmed down 10.2 would probably only take about 2G I'm thinking. Full blown it was maybe around 4 or 5?

How much does the installer say it's going to install papabill? Did you uncheck printer installers too? You can install those manually later if you need to.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 04:49 PM

With everything unchecked (languages, etc) it was only asking for 1.9Gb

There is nothing in the control panels except AppleTalk and Startup Disk

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 04:52 PM

WOW!! I tried to reboot, and all it will say is "Can't open" no bootable hfs partition. hadda put in the CD again.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: papabill
With everything unchecked (languages, etc) it was only asking for 1.9Gb
Got it, thanks.
Quote:
There is nothing in the control panels except AppleTalk and Startup Disk
That's because you were booted from the CD, it has to be from the hard drive to load the system you just installed, but I see it won't boot now.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 05:30 PM

It's a pain.. but you should also try what Reboot said. Pull all ram except 1 module and see if OSX will install. If not try another.

I have the 9.1 and 9.2 update discs..
I could make copies and send them to you.
BUT, I would much rather see you get a kb and set up the newer machine.
OS 9 is so.....quaint.

I have a kb also.

PM me an address.

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 05:34 PM

Well, after the third reboot, it finally started. Now I need help in getting my LAN set up and working. Volunteers??

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 05:46 PM

Quote:
I would much rather see you get a kb and set up the newer machine. OS 9 is so.....quaint.

No go with pulling the memory. It still won't install. I need both machines to work. Could it be that I got a bad copy of the CD??

Re: Serious problem - 02/05/10 05:56 PM

Well, this old fat cripple is exhausted, and must go to bed. I'm gonna check my YIM for a couple of minutes to see if anyone wants to chat, then I'm going to bed. Got a meeting at church tomorrow, but I'll be back around noon (EST).

If I don't see ya in YIM (cw_gordon@yahoo.com), I'll see ya tomorrow.

Night...

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 02:53 PM

Trying again for a minute or two. Reloaded the OS 10.2, got to it's 'crash point' and crashed.

Reloaded 8.6 on it, but still gives me a 'can't load' error for about 4 lines of text, then finally boots to the HD. Still cannot get my network to work properly.

Can't do too much tonite, got a meeting at the church this evening. Probably be too tired to tinker when I get home.

L8R

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:00 PM

Once it has booted to 8.6, go to your Control Panels and open Startup disk and select the HD. It sounds like it is spending some time looking for a startup volume that is no longer there. Networking in pre-OS X systems was not as easily accomplished. When I had X installed on my computer and my wife's was running 9.2.2, hers could either be networked to my computer over our home LAN or it could connect to the internet, but not at the same time.

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:05 PM

O.k., did the control panel thing, and it still gives me a "can't OPEN" for about 5 lines of text, then boots up without a hitch.

I certainly hope that iMac is easier to get along with.

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:07 PM

Now, I'm thinking there really is an issue with the RAM.

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:12 PM

I'll go out to the garage tomorrow and see what memory I have. Maybe I have some that I can switch.

Is memory memory, or is it PC memory or Mac Memory??

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:16 PM

It takes PC66, 10ns.

Edit: Oh! That PRAM battery really needs to be replaced. Like I've said, that can cause all kinds of odd behavior.

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
It takes PC66, 10ns.

Edit: Oh! That PRAM battery really needs to be replaced. Like I've said, that can cause all kinds of odd behavior.

Just a plain old LS14250 rechargeable battery from Radio Shack, huh?
Posted by: carp

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 03:23 PM

Check the recommended spec - Yes Radio Shack has them

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 04:34 PM

That's a good number, but it's not a rechargeable though. It's a 1/2 AA lithium 3.6v.

Radio Shack link.

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 04:44 PM

That's the "beast!" laugh

Edit: Second item for $19.49

Re: Serious problem - 02/06/10 05:34 PM

That's probably why it's not recharging.... smile

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 10:36 AM

Well, it's October now, and I'm trying to install 10.2 on my minitower G3. It still has the 768Mb of memory, and the new PRAM battery. I had it installed, but when I tried to install the 10.2 to 10.2.8 upgrade, I messed something up and it told me to re-install 10.2.

So, now it's up to it's old tricks: getting through the first disk, but the second one causes it to lock up and not respond to anything. I start out with the disk utility and formatting the HD so I can get a clean install.

Ideas? (Baseball bat?? Brick??)

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 10:51 AM

If my memory serves me, on those old machines, OS X preferred to be on the first 20 GB of the HD. Are you formatting the HD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 11:24 AM

What Michael said but it's the first 8G, so you need to make the first partition slightly less than 8G and install on it.

Also there was a bug in the 10.2.8 combo updater where on some systems you had to update to the combo 10.2.6 first before applying the combo 10.2.8.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 11:46 AM

Also, going back to the "Can't Open" problem leads me to suspect a ROM failure of some sort. I've seen the gray screen black type thing a lot on the beige models. It's in what's called Open Firmware mode. That only comes up if you invoke it at startup with Command-Option-O-F, or if there is a problem with the logic board, usually ROM.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 12:23 PM

Holee Crap... I feel as though I'm in the WayBack Machine..... grin

I had forgotten most of this stuff...

Of course.. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know...

Really.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 12:31 PM

Hehehe, probably. I don't know much. Macs are VERY NEW to me. And this IS a WayBack Machine (nearly qualifies as a dinosaur!)

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 12:38 PM

Clarification... I was poking fun at Reboot. laugh

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 01:12 PM

Hehehe, probably. I don't know much. Macs are VERY NEW to me. And this IS a WayBack Machine (nearly qualifies as a dinosaur!)

Glad you understand your machine is old.

Keep in mind at the time the machine was new it was the tech at that time. Now your sorta trying to get it to do things that was kinda not designed for back then.

Simply
If you got a new iMac, you would have had a better experience (for the first time) user. I do take it you like to tinker around and thats a good thing too.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Keep in mind at the time the machine was new it was the tech at that time. Now your sorta trying to get it to do things that was kinda not designed for back then.

No, I'm not asking it to do anything it can't do. It says in the Apple data sheets that the G3-266 Minitower WILL handle OS X 10.2. It ran it for several months, but MY foul up caused me to have to reinstall it.

Quote:
Simply
If you got a new iMac, you would have had a better experience (for the first time) user. I do take it you like to tinker around and thats a good thing too.

Simply if you'd lend me the money for a new iMac, I could get one.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 03:39 PM

LOL. Good one. grin

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
LOL. Good one. grin

H3ll I'll get one too

Reboot we seen this before, people buying a old Mac then get all pissed off.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 04:34 PM

No one's pissed off. confused

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
No one's pissed off. confused

Your missing my point - I guess I did not give more detail.
My mistake.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 06:12 PM

Now is your chance... give more detail.
Don't be unclear.

You said he would be happier with a new Mac..and that we have seen this before...someone buys an old Mac and then pulls their hair out and gets all pissed off.
And I say... no one in here in this thread is pissed off.

Re: Serious problem - 10/12/10 07:14 PM

carp's pissed off because no one will buy him a new Mac.

laugh

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 08:43 AM

No, not P.O.'d, I'm just confused why, if it WAS running properly, why is it not now.

I don't get that P.O.'d that easily

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 11:25 AM

LOL

Did say Bill was pissed off ? ?

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 12:20 PM

LOL

Did say Bill was pissed off ? ?
What was the purpose of this then?
Quote:
Drop it now please, let's just stick to helping papabill.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 12:23 PM

No, not P.O.'d, I'm just confused why, if it WAS running properly, why is it not now.
One of those mysteries of bits and bytes. grin It all depends on how the ROM loads if it's a failing or marginal ROM. Sometimes it will load its info right, sometimes not if the circuits inside decide to not cooperate at the moment. Kind of a loose connection in the ROM chip. Get a bigger hammer.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 01:22 PM

What was the purpose of this then?

I dunno? Somebody missed read that I said Bill was pissed off ? ? - go figure.

Bill
Is getting great help from all.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 03:24 PM

Well Mr I have to have the last word, but why did you say?
Quote:
we seen this before, people buying a old Mac then get all pissed off.
What was the point of it?

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 04:48 PM

To be eligible to contribute to a thread, one must be able to make a point? Next you'll want people to be able to comprehend what others are saying. This is going to be boooooooring . . . [ wink] Leaves me out . . .

Well, good-bye . . . !!

wink

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 04:59 PM

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 05:07 PM

[ smile]

I don't want to argue the point.

I don't understand.

Ha! e flat double fortissimo . . .

I see what I want to see,

I hear what I want to hear,

Ah, that describes me or someone else here. . .

The best of all: "You don't have to have a point to have a point!"

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

To be eligible to contribute to a thread, one must be able to make a point? Next you'll want people to be able to comprehend what others are saying. This is going to be boooooooring . . . [ wink] Leaves me out . . .
Well, good-bye . . . !!
wink.
Yeah, well if you ran across a pack of flying blue tailed monkeys while trying to put your RAM in what would you do then, you know how they are. The manta rays might be pissed.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 06:37 PM

Next you'll want people to be able to comprehend

Right Kate.
Sadly it does lack here.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 06:44 PM

Right Kate.
Sadly it does lack here.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 06:49 PM

Right Kate.
Sadly it does lack here.

You said it Pal - LOL

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 07:02 PM

How's the Regal?

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 07:07 PM

Buick!

laugh

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 07:24 PM

They can both hit ya' head on. laugh

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 08:00 PM

If we are talking about Buick,s - train wrecks as normal.

The US has to decide to make cars last for a long time - this 3 year self destruction has got to stop.

Re: Serious problem - 10/13/10 11:11 PM

Well, regardless why it's not working, I'm not quite ready to do a Lizzie Borden on it. (Yet!!)

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:11 AM

Now, I'm thinking there really is an issue with the RAM.

FINALLY!! I decided to do what was suggested and pull all the RAM except one stick and see if it would load. Well, it did.

Now, I've got several more to choose from, so how do I test to see which ones are good and which ones are not? Replace what I KNOW is good and just reinstall till it craps out?

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:15 AM

Do one stick at a time until it goes wonky, I guess.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:41 AM

Do one stick at a time until it goes wonky, I guess.

There is a math puzzle way of doing it faster but one at a time is probably the best. But also keep track of the slots. You may have a bent snapped pin in the slot. Once you verify a bad one try a "good" one in that slot.

If it is a slot you can get your magnifier, your clean air blaster, your DW40, your emery board (in that order, each is more dangerous) to clean.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
There is a math puzzle way of doing it faster

If it'll save me time, I'd love it.....

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:22 AM

Halving it.
2..then 2...whichever 2 is bad.. then try each 1 at a time.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 11:29 AM

Well, I think the center slot must be bad.

Every time I put ANY memory into it and try to load OS X, it freezes up and I have to reboot. I take out the memory stick, and it does fine.

So I guess I'm stalled at 512Mb (there is NO WAY I can fix that slot-I can bearly see it smile ) There doesn't seem to be any obstacles keeping the stick from seating properly.

Now. To find some software that will actually do some work.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 11:42 AM

Try a blast of WD40 then a blast of air. A tiny mirror and a bright light to look into it helps too. It might be just one pin touching another. I bet it is a short and the the short grounds out when you seat the stick.

Don't worry about WD40 mucking anything up. Short blast and let her sit for twenty minutes before you fire it up because there might be an infinitesimal chance the short causes a spark and you would really fire it up.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 02:12 PM

WD40? Are you out of your mind? Don't do it papabill.

Reseating the chips a few times is enough to clean the contacts.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 02:23 PM

I just use Listerine.. I swish it around and spit it on the contacts. It doesn't help connectivity, but my 'puter sure smells fresh.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 02:46 PM

Your to funny.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:46 PM

WD40? Are you out of your mind? Don't do it papabill.

I got three solutions. WD40, Duct tape or a hammer. This calls for WD40. WD40 is completely non ion passing solvent. As in nonpolar. It will do nothing to electronics. It will lubricate, clean and free parts. You can pour it in a computer. If that does not work, dip the entire computer in WD40.

Pour it in papabill.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:52 PM

If that does not work, dip the entire computer in WD40.

And if that doesn't work, beat it with the hammer?? wink

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 06:58 PM

Wouldn't do it while powered up, though. laugh

WD-40 (the WD stands for Water Displacement) was/is a necessary "tool" in my cars when distributors get wet. A couple of shots of WD-40 and they'd start right up. My '90 Isuzu pickup still has an old fashioned distributor and I have used WD-40 on it on cold and damp mornings (after it has sat for a couple of days) and the occasional splash from flooded intersections.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:12 PM

Wouldn't do it while powered up, though. laugh

WD-40 (the WD stands for Water Displacement) was/is a necessary "tool" in my cars

Hey, brother, you are talking to an old North Carolina country boy. The three major things in our toolboxes was WD40, duct tape, and a ball-peen hammer-seriously!

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:18 PM

If it moves and shouldn't: Duct tape!
If it doesn't move and should: WD-40!
If Duct tape and WD-40 don't work: Hammer! laugh

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:20 PM

If that does not work, dip the entire computer in WD40.

And if that doesn't work, beat it with the hammer?? wink

Well in this case, maybe not but right before I threw it in the trash, sure, I would beat it.

Back wehn MacSEs were showing up at the dump I couldn't pass them up. I would bring them home and plug them in. Before popping the case the ones that did not boot I would slam down into the concrete basement floor after pushing the on button until I got a chime. More often than not, it worked.

I have used a hammer directly on a drive, most to get by "stiction" a drive that won't spin up. I've also popped drives open and with a phillips given the axle a spin while I push the on button and spray WD40 on everything.

We're talking last resort but it works sometimes.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:23 PM

We're talking last resort but it works sometimes.

Hey, whadda got to lose? It'll either fix it or finish it.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:28 PM

Well, unfortunately my eyesight is too poor to work on them any more, especially when you are talking about these little areas like memory seating slots. And arthritis prohibits doing much of anything else. So if the answer can't be had by "normal" means, I'm just out of luck.

I did get the G3 Minitower working and OS X 10.2 loaded today, even though it's only showing 256k of memory. Hmmm, I've got (2) 256k sticks in place, but they are separated by a blank slot. Seems it's either all or just one.....

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:31 PM

I think they needed to be in adjacent slots in those machines, so if the next slot is bad, I guess you're out of luck. 256K is really not nearly enough to get any performance from 10.2.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:34 PM

So true, so true.

Oh, well. I've still got my little Grape iMac

sniff cry sniff

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 07:58 PM

This maybe?

But my guess is you can get an AGP G4 for around $50 that will let you go to at least to 10.4.11, have a much better and more compatible internet experience, be much more expandable, and be many times faster.

Do you have a good craig's list in the area?

If you want to learn something resembling the modern Mac and its OS cheap, that is the way to go. That G3 is so far removed.

Free advice. smile

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 08:15 PM

I agree. A G4 AGP (make sure it's not the "Yikes" model) would really be the cheap way to go. They were rock solid machines, too.

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 08:28 PM

Well, the craigslist around here shows several computers for sale, but the owners are TOO PROUD of them. They want prices I cannot afford. Not trying to sound pityful, but I cannot even afford to pay attention cry

Gotta go now, folks. This old fat cripple is exhausted, or as we say down here, "I'm tarred"

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 08:29 PM

Right, no PCI aka Yikes machine.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 09:04 PM

Check out Powermax

Re: Serious problem - 10/27/10 09:43 PM

Way too expensive. They have an MDD for $500 but you can get an Intel mini new with 7 year newer technology for $200 more. If one just browses ebay or craig's list for a few weeks you can get the low end G4 that they have listed for $250 for $50.

Besides, even $50 is stretching papabill's budget anyway. grin

Re: Serious problem - 10/28/10 03:45 AM

Also, check out pawnshops... they quite often have working, older Macs laying around for cheap.