Remove apps

Posted by: papabill

Remove apps - 01/23/10 01:00 PM

I have just become the proud owner of a platinum 266Mhz G3, and it has so much stuff loaded on it. For example, whenever I log off, Nortop pops up and start it's mess. Now, personally, I HATE norton with a passion. How do I delete all that garbage off this box??

Thanks
Posted by: Mike

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 01:51 PM

Did you get the original system install CD with that G3? If so, simply erase the entire hard drive and start from scratch. I believe this G3 can go as far as system version 9.2.2.
'Norton Utilities' is a pain to delete from the hard drive...
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 01:51 PM

For the most part, just dump the app in the trash and flush. For things like Norton, though, you'll need to go into the Extensions folder, which is located in the System folder, as I reacall. There may also be stuff in the Control Panel folder for Norton--it's been so long that I can't really recall.
Posted by: carp

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
For the most part, just dump the app in the trash and flush. For things like Norton, though, you'll need to go into the Extensions folder, which is located in the System folder, as I reacall. There may also be stuff in the Control Panel folder for Norton--it's been so long that I can't really recall.

I think your right , go to those folders and drag anything Norton to the trash - I would restart and see if anything is broken and then empty the trash

Me too been so long , hard to recall

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 04:20 PM

So, like DOS, and unlike Windoze, everything is still in it's own folder??

That's great-should be pretty easy...

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 04:43 PM

Any idea why my browser hangs up and my G3 locks up when the URL requested cannot be found? How do I recover short of unplugging and starting all over??

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 04:49 PM

I dunno Bill , I'll leave that up to our forum Gurus .

I suspect everything your running now is pretty dang old - so if you hit a web site with the latest embedded Java , could crash your browser . Even IE is up to 8.0 , I believe , strange for even MS to keep up .

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 04:54 PM

Also noticed that when I log on, I get a note that the browser is not supported, so I click on a link to upgrade, and that's when the lock-up occurs. Messenger is the same way.

Plus, why is there a 45-60 second delay between the time I hit the 'on' switch and the monitor shows the machine is actually booting up??

Wierd!!

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 05:01 PM

I suspect (cobb webs) laugh

I would if you can is go to Apple Web site and crawl around - They do have great How to Videos or do a Google search . The videos help me more then just reading about a subject .

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 05:33 PM

Here's another one: I downloaded YIM3.0, and when it comes to "exploed & load it", I get a dialog box that says "Could not find the application program that created the document named ......

To open the document, select an alternate program, with or without translation"

Then it lets me choose between excel, quicktime, and stuffit expander, none of which work.
whassup??
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 06:03 PM

This is prolly why someone got rid of the box. It's OS is buggered.
Do a clean install and quit trying to figure out a quite likely buggered system on an OS that you don't know.
You'll drive yourself nuts. Plus this will give you a better idea of how Apple intended you to start. Also, quite likely, a faster boot and faster running sys.

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 06:07 PM

I found an old thread with some links to browsers for OS9. I clicked on the one for IE and it started d'loading the file.. so I know that one is good.

OS 9 Browsers...

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 06:48 PM

YIM (Yahoo Instant Messenger) 3.0 is for OS X. It will not install on your system. You will have to find things that are, at least, 10 years old.

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 07:48 PM

The same goes for browsers. Nuc's link gives you some good information and links to compatible apps, but face it--yu're not going to be able to download and install most stuff.

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 08:45 PM

That's why I pointed out the IE link... it downloads IE 5.1.7
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Remove apps - 01/23/10 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: papabill
Plus, why is there a 45-60 second delay between the time I hit the 'on' switch and the monitor shows the machine is actually booting up??

Wierd!!
Probably because you had to shut the machine down hard, the hard drive is doing some clean up. You should do as suggested and invest about $100 in a newer G4 Mac that is running OS X. You have a hard battle ahead otherwise in OS 9, and the results won't be satisfactory.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 05:17 AM

Well, all this spawns another vital question:

I got the machine for free. It has OS 9.2 installed on it. I am disabled, living on Social (in)Security, and have a VERY limited income. I was able to secure an Apple Macontish CD for the Power Macintosh G3 . It has OS 8 on it (must be the install disk).

My question would be if it'd be better to reload OS 8, since the current OS seems "damaged" or try to fix the current OS?

OR -- would it be better to load OS X on this thing - 1- would OS X work on this G3, and if so, 2 - where would I locate an OS X install CD

Thanks

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 06:13 AM

Unfortunately OS 8 will be worse than OS 9.2 on the internet, probably almost impossible. You'd go from something that is somewhat usable, to something that is pretty much just a novelty and not very functional for everyday use.

You can put OS X 10.2.8 on that machine all depending on how much RAM is in it and how big the hard drive is. ebay usually has Jaguar (10.2) install CD's for $25 shipped. It would give a better example of what the Mac really is right now, but even with it some internet stuff isn't going to function right.

Did you try moving anything with Norton in the name from your Control Panels folder and from your Extensions folder like yoyo suggested?

You can also set Extensions Manager that is in Control Panels to Mac only extensions and it will move all the Norton stuff to the appropriate (Disabled) folders in the System Folder, and also move any other third party stuff that might be causing problem too.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 06:36 AM

Yeah, I got rid of Norton. Just deleted all the folders, and I don't see any Norton activity now.

The machine is 266Mhz, with a 6Gb HD, and 640Mb of memory.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 09:58 AM

Did you delete the files from Extensions and Control Panels along with the folders?

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 10:34 AM

Well, no, not too sure how...

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 11:01 AM

Just go into the System > Extensions folder, and dump the files you don't want into the trash. Same for System > Control Panels.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 11:04 AM

What yoyo said, then reboot after moving the files to the trash. If you have any trouble moving them start up the computer with the Shift key down till you see Extensions Disabled on screen, and try again.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 11:16 AM

Well, it's confusing when you do things right without realizing it. Already taken care of.

I'm gonna read a little and see if I can figure out how to download something and then install it to the machine. Something easy, I think to start with.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 11:50 AM

Why don't you try that browser link I provided?

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 12:05 PM

Nuc's link is full of good stuff. As for installing--if the application doesn't have any extensions that it installs, all you have to do is open the .sit file (that's probably what you'll get) and drag the app to wherever you want to keep it on your HD.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 04:28 PM

PapaBill.. you are in luck since Apple still maintains an OS9 Discussion/help forum. You can find it here .

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 06:24 PM

Does Mac OS not have screensavers??

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 06:39 PM

There were hundreds in the pre-OS X days. There are plenty for OS X, too. Finding the old screensavers could be a challenge, though.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 06:44 PM

but there is nothing built in??

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 06:54 PM

I can't recall if any were built in pre OS X. It has been, at least, 8 years since I dumped OS 9 aka: Classic.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 07:43 PM

There were no built in screen savers, and many of the third party ones were buggy. Here's a link to OS 9 software.

Re: Remove apps - 01/24/10 07:47 PM

Some were much better than others. Of course, that applies to OS X screensavers and apps, too. I can't believe all of the shareware that is out there that does the same thing you can do natively within the OS.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 06:19 AM

Whoa! I'm seeing Flying Toasters. Was that 9? Surely not 8. Whatever, I really liked those little suckers ~ After Dark! . . . I'm having flashbacks, folks, but they don't make any more sense than usual. Anybody? Anybody?

laugh

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 08:10 AM

I loved screen savers, I made a decent amount of money in the OS 9 days troubleshooting them.

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I loved screen savers, I made a decent amount of money in the OS 9 days troubleshooting them.

No kidding laugh

I had that fish tank one was pretty cool

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 01:43 PM

Hey, thanks. I found one I like. Now I'm not afraid of leaving my "new" G3 on 24/7. smile

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 01:54 PM

I would not leave it on 24 / 7 to begin with , and you don't need a screen saver for a color monitor either .

In OS 9 , your gonna need to reboot anyway to gain back spent Ram <-- well thats what I understood back then . So better to shut down at lease every few days .

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
and you don't need a screen saver for a color monitor either .

Huh.. what? Based on what?

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 05:53 PM

With a CRT, yes, you needed one. Even LCDs can have image burn in if the same image is left displayed for an extended time.

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 06:01 PM

Why not just let the monitor go to sleep? No point in wasting the electricity on a pretty screensaver.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 06:07 PM

Seriously. Mine's set to sleep after five minutes. Hey, if I can't figure out what I'm staring at in that length of time? I need to walk away. smile

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
With a CRT, yes, you needed one. Even LCDs can have image burn in if the same image is left displayed for an extended time.

You don't have to tell me... I'm questioning where Carp heard that.. and based on what?

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 06:08 PM

laugh

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Originally Posted By: MacBozo

You don't have to tell me... I'm questioning where Carp heard that.. and based on what?

Based on what I read back then link in the Mags - Anyway a B/W would burn in , a color monitor would not unless you went for a 3 month vacation somewhere with the same desktop pic , frozen in time . Or something stupid like that

Re: Remove apps - 01/25/10 07:57 PM

It can take as little as only a few weeks for noticeable ghosting to set in,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Remove apps - 01/26/10 10:40 AM

Lea, I was a great fan of After Dark.

Carp, I have loaded on this iMac 24 inch the aquarium of fish! I don't use it but every once in a while it is fun to show people. Hm, I haven't run it since I put Snow Leopard on the iMac. Wonder if it still works. smile

Edit: Nope! It doesn't work now.

Re: Remove apps - 01/26/10 11:22 AM

So you got a tank full of dead fish laugh
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Remove apps - 01/26/10 07:29 PM

P

U

smile