Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered?

Posted by: John Rougeux

Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/23/09 03:28 PM

Has anyone (NG4, I'm looking at you wink ) done this?

I'm reading up on how to do this now.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/23/09 04:16 PM

Yep... done it. It works.. pretty sweet. I'm still trying top navigate that way since I was raised on capture Ones software and we use it at work. But yes... if you have the money, spring for it.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/23/09 05:21 PM

I have had Aperture since it's 1st release, so naturally I have 2. smile

Just tried it out. It's pretty neat! Will come in handy for the shoot in Feb.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/23/09 09:59 PM

OK, I'll bite: What does Shooting Tethered mean?
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/23/09 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: scottyb
OK, I'll bite: What does Shooting Tethered mean?

The camera's connected directly to a computer.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/24/09 01:11 AM

...and you see your images full size on your screen immediately. It's how we shoot in studio.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/24/09 06:23 AM

Well, with Aperture it's not immediately. You have to click import and then it'll show up.
Posted by: carp

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/24/09 10:38 AM

But does the computer sees what the camera sees before you take the shot ? I can see where that would be handy

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/24/09 07:48 PM

Nope, the computer only sees what the camera shot.

Why would that be handy if the computer saw it first? A lot of cameras have Live View, which is like what the point & shoot cameras have. But I don't ever use it except when I'm holding the camera above my head.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/24/09 09:14 PM

Not here.. I set it up and 16.7 MP files show up in about 5 seconds.

Yes Carp... some apps such as C1 support/show the Live View function on the computer screen as you shoot.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/25/09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Nope, the computer only sees what the camera shot.

Why would that be handy if the computer saw it first? A lot of cameras have Live View, which is like what the point & shoot cameras have. But I don't ever use it except when I'm holding the camera above my head.

Like what David says;

Live shot on the monitor gives a better display then the small lcd screen on the camera .

I am not a pro - you guys are
But I would think on the monitor ""larger pic"" you can see maybe you need a different aperture setting , F-Stop , more lighting , yada yada before you take the shot ? ?

I dunno just wondering

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/25/09 02:14 PM

But Aperture 2 does not support live view, at least for the Nikon D700.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/25/09 02:49 PM

You should still see your photos right after shooting without the need to click "Import".
I don't have Live View on my cameras either BTW...it came out after my models.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/25/09 02:54 PM

I have live view on mine, but Aperture 2 doesn't have live view.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 12/25/09 03:26 PM

OK.. but we are talking 2 separate issues here.
Posted by: FSM

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/05/10 09:01 PM

i wanted to get Aperture 2, but for some reason my Aperture 1 is not upgradeable to 2 and the full price is $199 and the education price is $179. seems silly to buy the education price and not be eligible for $100 upgrades such that i'd pay $358 for version 2 and then version 3 education price, yet i'd only pay $299 to buy the full version 2 and then get version 3 as an upgrade. not sure that makes sense, but i currently have version 1 and i gave up on it and went back to iPhoto. i think i'll wait for version 3 of Aperture now since 2 has been out since 2008. i'll probably be able to get version 3 even a bit cheaper on Amazon for the full version at that point. ah well.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/05/10 09:34 PM

Sean

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think you can upgrade to full versions ? Like

1.0 to 1.3 <- sure theres an upgrade path

1.0 to 2.0 <-- I believe you have to buy the new version ? Maybe someone can correct me on this

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 04:09 AM

they sell an upgrade to ver. 2, but you have to have version 1 to qualify and it only works for the regular version (it's $99 in the Apple Store to upgrade). Apple just doesn't allow education prices to upgrade to another education price. and the education price is only $20 less than the full price. i know there seemed to be a reason for this and it probably makes sense, but not moving forward from version 2 to 3. so when i say upgrading to the full version, i realize i'd have to buy the full version (non upgrade) to get into that rotation.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 05:07 AM

Apple does this with all their applications. And so does Adobe. Try buying CS3 educational and then CS4...they'll charge you full price rather than the upgrade price.

This isn't new, it's been this way for (at least) several years.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 08:56 AM

Adobe CS web premium is priced at $1699 regular.
education price is $599 (no upgrade option).
upgrade from the $1699 version is $599.

in this case, it makes sense for me to buy the education version as my whole cost is the same as the upgrade cost for commercial users. when i upgrade to CS4 (i am on 3) it'll cost me $599, which is the same as a regular business user upgrading from 3 to 4. that makes sense to me. my initial cost is just cheaper and Adobe benefits because i push my university to buy this product and get some students to do so as well -- that's potentially new customers buying the $1699 version down the road so Adobe feels comfortable offering this promotion to get their product into regular work cycles of young adults.

i am not sure why Apple isn't currently doing a cheaper education price to be more similar to Adobe products and more similar to the upgrade price for the regular version ($99), but it must not be as simple as it seems. i have no clue what i paid for the education price versus what you paid for Aperture 1 (i think there was a refund at one point because it was too expensive or something like that so my memory is all sloshed up). i just know that if the education price is going to be only $20 less than the full price then there is absolutely no reason to buy the education version 2 from my perspective and not just pay $20 more to get into the cheaper upgrade rotation for the regular product. people who have bought the education version have probably still bought 1 and 2 for less than the regular commercial editions (and i don't know that this is true, but it must be true); however, that certainly won't be true by version 3. i suspect that Apple will either have to allow the education price to be upgraded for the same amount as the typical upgrade ($99) or they should just drop the education distinction on this product.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 09:25 AM

Geez, Apple seems to have raised their education prices for software.

Final Cut Pro used to be at least half off for education. Now it's only $100 less.

You could always buy Aperture 2 via ebay for $110. Then you can upgrade to 3 whenever it comes out for less. I think that's how I got 2.

BTW, I got Aperture 1 educational price for something like $299, and then Apple lowered it by $100 and gave a coupon or something.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 09:26 AM

Rumor has it that CS5 will be out in April, you might want to wait.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 09:28 AM

Or you could get Nikon's software Camera Control Pro 2 for $145

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 09:29 AM

I would be interested in seeing what CS5 brings. Any rumor sites with possible info?

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 10:36 AM

i didn't mean to imply that i was upgrading to CS4; i am not. i still have CS3, but i did buy the education version of Dreamweaver CS4 shortly after it came out. i plan to get back into the rotation for CS5 when it appears, think. my work flow is to pretty much use iPhoto for organization and quick edits and then to transfer to Photoshop for stuff i plan to print. i didn't see a need to upgrade to CS4 for what i do in anything other than Dreamweaver. i wish i could drop Illustrator and Fireworks and get a bit more of a discount but beggars can't be choosers. ;~)

Dreamweaver and Photoshop get the bulk of the use from me but buying them separately costs the same as just getting the whole Web Premium Suite, so i am not complaining at all (it was just a wish).

regarding Aperture, i have considered buying the Adobe Lightroom 2 as the education price on it is just $99 . . . but i want to wait and see if Apple lowers the 3.0 price for educators. plus, i haven't really looked into whether Lightroom is what i'd want. i just assume that it's quite similar to Aperture???

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/06/10 12:43 PM

Let's ask our resident graphics expert.

Flash stuff.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/09/10 02:07 PM

just tried to open my Aperture for the first time since upgrading to Snow Leopard . . . and it seems as though Apple has found a way to force me to upgrade:

i have to see if i can first get the photos out of it so i am not forced to upgrade. this is crummy as i needed a photo from Aperture that i took in 2006 right now for some visitors here. doh.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/09/10 02:36 PM

That really sucks. I can't believe their own stuff broke, and won't even launch. Most of the stuff that flat out won't work with SL is mostly things like file system utilities, networking utilities, mainly specific need software that is adding functionality to the system, not a photo manipulation program. CS2 still freakin' works.

Well, they sell Snow Leopard cheap, but recoup the cost in other things I guess. crazy

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/09/10 02:40 PM

Launch iPhoto/Go: File: Show Aperture Library and navigate to your Aperture library...

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/09/10 04:31 PM

doh, i just missed seeing that before we took off for dinner. thanks. while it's crummy that i can't open the software i bought from Apple, the photos are what is most important and using iPhoto to get them is pretty easy. thanks again.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/09/10 04:34 PM

There's always the free trial of Aperture 2

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/10/10 06:23 PM

I have found out that I wasn't shooting tethered! Here's how you do it in Aperture 2:

http://blogs.oreilly.com/aperture/2008/02/aperture-2-tethering.html

Quote:
To use the tethering feature, you must connect your camera to your Mac via a USB or Firewire cable. Then choose File > Tether > Start Session. The Tether HUD will appear, which offers many of the same controls that you find in the Import dialog box.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/10/10 09:12 PM

Great but I don't see the reason - again I am not a Pro like you guys

If you can tether and see what the camera sees and make exposure adjustments via the Mac - Then just use the cameras SD card and up load ?

I don't get it .

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/10/10 09:25 PM

LOL... thanks but I already know how...lol
I thought you did too... but now you do for sure.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/10/10 09:31 PM

Definitely for the pro. One advantage I can see is that if one is shooting and then printing each shot out immediately on site, such as pictures of Santa and kids, you don't have to pull the SD card out, wait for it to load with all the pics on it, then transfer the file so you can print it out for the waiting customer, then unmount it, and put it back in the camera, rinse and repeat. Instead you could just shoot and print, shoot and print. While you're shooting the pics can be in the print queue printing away.

You can also immediately see for yourself full size on the screen instead of on a small camera display, or ask the subject you're shooting how they like that shot . <----Get it now? wink grin j/k

Not something you'd want to cart around on a hike in the woods or anything of course. laugh

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/10/10 09:32 PM

Carp.. you can't see squat on the little camera lcd... whereas you can everything on your Macs screen. If I am shooting models I don't want to have to squint and see if their eyes are really open or if they were blinking in the shot. I can also see if my focus is spot on...and a number of other issues.
I can't see detail on small items like I can on a large screen.

Right click to embiggerize...
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/10/10 10:45 PM

Yes, we were using a tethered camera on my job a couple of years back, taking product shots, and it speeds the process up immensely - you can shoot, tweak or discard and shoot again, very quickly, then when you have the pic you want to keep you can just rename the file, store it and move on to the next one. Much less hassle than processing a batch of photos later on called IMG000234.jpg or whatever. Also, the software we were using let you batch process, i.e. save the image in several different dpi/sizes at once to different folders.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/11/10 05:03 AM

If you don't get it, it's not for you. wink laugh

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/11/10 05:44 AM

Nope, I didn't know. I figured you didn't because you didn't mention how to do it. :P laugh

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/11/10 09:12 AM

Hmmm... maybe I should make an effort to be more clear in my posts..

Not here.. I set it up and 16.7 MP files show up in about 5 seconds.
grin

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/11/10 09:18 AM

I saw that post...but I didn't see how I could do it on mine. wink

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/11/10 09:38 AM

well, if i ever switch back to Aperture then i appreciate the directions. ;~)

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/11/10 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

Not something you'd want to cart around on a hike in the woods or anything of course. laugh

Nonsense!

LOL.
I carry my laptop with me and pop in the cord and handhold the shot and see what I'm shooting.. even if it's too bright I will just shoot several frames, scoop the laptop up and check it out in the shade of a tree or my truck whatever.
It's a bit of extra work, but worth it to guarantee getting the shot. Also, when I get back the files are already loaded. Or I do the tweaking to the files in the capture app, hook it up to power in the truck and let er' rip. I get back and it's finished.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/25/10 04:46 AM

Adobe Lightroom is on sale today for $188 (over $90 off) as the Amazon Gold box deal of the day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Tempting way to break into that app. i don't really have time to research Lightroom today so dang, but i'll pass along the info for others.

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/25/10 07:04 AM

Lightroom 3 is coming out soon. Why buy the older version then have to turn around and get an upgrade?

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

And besides, as an educator, you can get Lightroom 2 for $98

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/25/10 10:24 AM

i wasn't considering it enough to check the education price. i just figured it might be a good deal for someone who otherwise felt the price was prohibitive to break into the app. but if the new version is coming out soon then it might be cheaper overall to just wait and pay full price on version 3???
Posted by: trey

Re: Aperture 2 lets you shoot tethered? - 01/25/10 07:50 PM

Having used both apps., I prefer Lightroom. Its keyboard shortcuts and stuff mesh better with the feel of the rest of Adobe's suite. Using Aperture felt... weird. Like when you use the mouse with your left hand if you're right handed.

And for 100 smackers, you can't beat it!