MTR 4 is out.

Posted by: Jim_

MTR 4 is out. - 12/07/09 09:13 PM

For registered users, http://www.ripdifferent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11686
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/08/09 05:55 PM

Excellent.. I'm on it.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/08/09 09:46 PM

Copy of my license has me stumped a little.

Is this what they want?

Also I have sent him gifts using a yahoo email addie and my comcast addie. I've made 3 gifts over the years.

I'm getting really anxious to see the new 4.0. I've had pretty good success with RipIt, but I've used MTR for so many years it is like my old friend. smile

Well, what the heck. I'll send the lic and my name in subj using both addies.

Anyone gotten into the new forum yet?

Here is a discussion by geezer on the old forum link to click

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/08/09 10:19 PM

That's the file.

Your email address doesn't matter, it's the PayPal transaction ID's you'll need later. If you didn't keep them you can go back into your PayPal History/Find a transaction. You'll get an automated email, then a reply from 2socks when he gets around to it telling you that you can log in, then go to Announcements to see how to get it.

He's the only one doing the Activation emails so it may take a short while. He mentioned that they kind of didn't plan that right. He has to sleep, and has a day job so it may take a few hours to get the official okie-dokie. Also remember GB is about six hours ahead of us, nine hours for you.

I'll PM you GB's info to search for in PayPal.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/08/09 10:35 PM

I bet he has a lot of folks who've donated over the years. Sounds like a big job. That's why I didn't mind giving more than once. I use that hummer a lot. smile

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 05:22 AM

I'll need his info too... I donated in 2006 and have lost my license.
Posted by: zwei

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 06:22 AM

Wow …that sounds like an EXTREMELY crappy activation process.

Have they even been updating v3? I figured they gave the project up. At least RipIt is maintained.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 07:59 AM

It's not they, it's a he, one person does it all, and he has a day job too.

The activation scheme is due to pirates. GB mentioned one time that he had been gone a few days, had 1300 license request in his email, only 2 were valid. He also gave some other astronomical figures. When the way to get 3.0 originally was through a download link that made it to torrent sites, and not with the current licensing scheme where he emails the app, he had something like 50,000 downloads in a period, with less than 100 donations.

The new version will do automatic updates, but you initially have to send proof of donation via your PayPal transaction ID to get the app.

MTR does much more than Ripit, separate title extraction for example. Removing most region restrictions. Removing languages, subtitles, and unneeded audio so compression is less. Movie only so you don't have to compress the movie to fit a standard 4.7G DVD. Now it does full disc but will eliminate the extras so you don't ned to compress so much and lose quality, but keeps the menus. Yes, I know it can be burned to dual layer too to eliminate all compression, but DL discs have just begun to come in to the reasonable priced range. Some features that were in 3.0 are not in 4.0 yet but will be soon.

Edit - I just checked and RipIt's help forums and feedback are DOA for some reason.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I'll need his info too... I donated in 2006 and have lost my license.
Don't know, I'll find out. I mentioned to 2socks he might want to amend the instructions for that scenario. Currently you need to email the license, if you don't have it you'll have to get one, that's what I asked him about since the scheme for getting 4 requires a license.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 09:28 AM

How is MTR any different than Handbrake?

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 10:02 AM

Handbrake doesn't decrypt unless you use FairMount along with it, it needs an unencrypted source. MTR doesn't change the video to other formats, it copies DVDs and removes decryption that won't let you burn the copy to a DVD, plus the features I mentioned above. They do two entirely different things.

Even though we're allowed by fair use to make a backup copy of DVD's we own, the makers of the DVD's are allowed to put in decryption so we can't.

It's a pretty complicated thing the rip, compress, burn process, with the decryption process having as many opinions as Carter's little liver pills. Too much for me to explain. Here's a good place to start.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 10:22 AM

oh, so MTR is only to make it possible to burn the movie to DVD?

I use Handbrake to rip mine so that I can store them on my AppleTV.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux

Um.. yes...er... no.

Read this... esp. what Hasa says...

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 11:09 AM

That's a pretty good explanation.

HB doesn't let you burn it to a playable DVD format so you can get the files off the computer, but lets you keep a file on the computer that you can play on AppleTV. It all depends on your needs. With the price of HD's HB is fine, but you'll need two for a backup in case the drive goes bad so you wouldn't have to re-rip all your stuff.
Posted by: Clark

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 12:53 PM

Goody, goody gumdrops. Thank you!

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/09/09 08:57 PM

Quote:
The activation scheme is due to pirates. GB mentioned one time that he had been gone a few days, had 1300 license request in his email, only 2 were valid. He also gave some other astronomical figures. When the way to get 3.0 originally was through a download link that made it to torrent sites, and not with the current licensing scheme where he emails the app, he had something like 50,000 downloads in a period, with less than 100 donations.

While I definitely think developers should be paid for their work …that's so ironic it's funny.
People who want to build up their movie library with pirated content don't want to pay for the software that helps them do it? Who saw THAT coming laugh

Yeah, I'm aware that you can pull off pieces of content instead of ripping the whole disc, but I've always just used Toast to compress/burn the DVD or main track.

Not that I've burned any DVDs lately anyway …it's far to easy to stream them to my PS3. Handbrake is my app of choice! (which works hand in hand with RipIt btw)
Posted by: starmillway

What is this? - 12/11/09 01:06 PM

Wait! I know smile

Delicious . . .

Oh, my gawd! Worth the wait. Worth the money too if you haven't contributed. wink Anybody? Add it to your Application stash. . . smile

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 02:22 PM

I'm still waiting…

The email reply I received said something about it may not rip correctly without the proper "libraries", and they will not tell where to get them or support it.

Do you know what this means?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 02:26 PM

One question: I cannot find a current version dl link anywhere. The most recent version I see is, 2.6.6 at Versiontracker and MacUpdate.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 02:47 PM

You have to sign up on their website and send a "gift" to get current version.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 03:33 PM

are you serious? What type of "gift" are you talking about?

Time to go look. But I find it a bit ridiculous that you have to jump through so many hoops just to download the software.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 03:43 PM

ok, this is a bit too confusing.

Quote:
If you want to make a Gift, Send an email to
Please Include Your e-mail Address so we can contact you AND your RD User Name

At the current time Only PayPal can be accepted or used for payment.

If you Gift via PayPal, please make your donation in Swiss Francs.

How come I have no problems downloading software and purchasing it when I want to buy it, but this guy makes it much harder than it should be?

Email me for information on how you can give me money and then I'll send you the secret handshake to get the secret code to find the hidden download link that lets you access the secret site so that you can decipher the gobbleygook that I have encoded the url to download the key to access the site to download the instructions on how to pay me for the software so that I can give you access to my super-secret site with the software. crazy

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 03:57 PM

Umm…
I couldn't have worded it better myself. crazy

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 04:08 PM

If you haven't looked at RipIt …do. They have a free trial so you have nothing to lose. (It also just got an eddy from MW today …one of their top 13 software gems of 2009)

http://ripitapp.com/

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 04:23 PM

That can't be right. I just downloaded that software. What's up with that??

And it's only $20 compared to MTR's $50 "gift".

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 05:01 PM

Then handbrake is what you need. MTR would be of no use to you.

As to why the hoops, I explained that above. Pirating. He's a one man operation, and that's the way he needs to do it to make any money.

GB mentioned one time that he had been gone a few days, had 1300 license request in his email, only 2 were valid. He also gave some other astronomical figures. When the way to get 3.0 originally was through a download link that made it to torrent sites, and not with the current licensing scheme where he emails the app (Edit - and you need the license file I mentioned above to activate it), he had something like 50,000 downloads in a period, with less than 100 donations.

BTW guys, Kate figured it out. grin

You go girl!!!!!! cool

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 05:01 PM

$50!? Is it really that much?

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 05:05 PM

That can't be right. I just downloaded that software. What's up with that??

And it's only $20 compared to MTR's $50 "gift".
I explained that above too.

MTR does much more than Ripit, separate title extraction for example. Removing most region restrictions. Removing languages, subtitles, and unneeded audio so compression is less. Movie only so you don't have to compress the movie to fit a standard 4.7G DVD. Now it does full disc but will eliminate the extras so you don't ned to compress so much and lose quality, but keeps the menus. Yes, I know it can be burned to dual layer too to eliminate all compression, but DL discs have just begun to come in to the reasonable priced range. Some features that were in 3.0 are not in 4.0 yet but will be soon.

I don't know where you got $50 either, there is no set amount.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 05:10 PM

What are the differenced from v3? Is it faster? Does it have a new (more reliable) ripping engine? From what I've read, the reason RipIt works so well is because it acts essentially like a DVD player …it reads the DVDs exactly like Apple's DVD player does and misses all those corrupt bits and other things that try to make DVD rippers choke. That is also why it's faster than MTR (at least v2-3)

Can one of you post a changelog?

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 06:00 PM

OK. Here's the deal. I have version 2.6.6 and it is working. But! I have ne pref file by that name.. in the user folder or in the main folder. What gives?

Oh ho...found it.... my pref files name is "com.Geezerbuttz.mtr.plist"

I open it up and there is no serial there.

Am I screwed? Don't really want to have to donate again...

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 06:23 PM

At my first try, the process took 30 min. MTR is a work in progress. After this debut of 4.0 they are already receiving and making a list of tweaks and things to do to make it better.

RipIt is okay. I bought it in a bundle. It does not appear to have any "options" and I've had two DVDs it would not process. Can't remember what they were though. RipIt wanted me to submit the name automatically, etc. but I was a little reluctant*. I'll check out their forum to see what's wat!

*I've used MTR for 4 or 5 years -- can't remember -- and feel somewhat better about the way they try to keep things secure, etc.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 06:26 PM

The speed of the rip is determined mainly by the DVD player, but the prescan and post processing is faster, prescan is only a few seconds now.

It's entirely different from v3. There is no old code in it. He calls it a more future proof codebase. He has made it so that keeping up with the latest encryption schemes will be just updates, you won't have to send another email to replace the whole app. The app auto updates now.

Exclusive access to the DVD while ripping so the rip won’t get interrupted.

It has a setting for scratched discs now.

He's added an ISO feature so that you can burn it with Disk Utility to a dual layer DVD, no need for Toast or anything.

After the first hoops it should be seamless if you make backups of your license and the app in case you need a reinstall. It is a free update for anyone that paid for v3.

BTW, the license is tied to only one machine. The app will not run with the license in a different machine. If you want to use it on two machines send in two gifts. Since you'll be splitting up the use of it you can adjust the gifts according to what you feel it's worth to you if you want.

As far as an in depth changelog, a lot of the inner workings he doesn't say anything about due to the competition from other developers, and the movie houses.

Can you burn RipIt rips to DVD? I chose the VIDEO_TS file from the package it makes and it just chokes Toast 9 and 10. I'll try a different movie.
Posted by: Clark

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 06:31 PM

Disregard

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 06:35 PM

I bought GraphicConverter many times over the years. When I first bought it, it came on a floppy disk. I also got a manual. The manual was photocopied, stapled, had a green cover and on 8 x 11 paper.

What does an upgrade to Photoshop or any of your other apps cost?

If this MTR is not worth the suggested gift, maybe it is an app not worth having. Get RipIt!

smile

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 06:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you got $50 either, there is no set amount.

I've been using 2.66 for years for free.

Because of that, I wanted to be legit, and give geezerbutz the contribution he's due.
So i signed up to get 4.0 and yes, the email I got "suggested" a gift of $50.
I don't mind paying, but I do mind the hoops.
And I don't have paypal.

Ripit was (not is) spotty at best.
Quote:
Can you burn RipIt rips to DVD? I chose the VIDEO_TS file from the package it makes and it just chokes Toast 9 and 10. I'll try a different movie.

And that's why I stopped using it.

Just like music, I like having a library of movies that I (we) can watch when the moment strikes.

And I like having a backup if something goes bad.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 06:48 PM

OK. Here's the deal. I have version 2.6.6 and it is working. But! I have ne pref file by that name.. in the user folder or in the main folder. What gives?

Oh ho...found it.... my pref files name is "com.Geezerbuttz.mtr.plist"

I open it up and there is no serial there.

2.6.6 doesn't need the license so you won't have one to send in to get into the forums. It's not a serial, it's a file particular to your machine to activate the app. I'll find out what to do. You will need to get your PayPal transaction ID from your PayPal history to get the license and app so in the meantime dig that up.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek

So i signed up to get 4.0 and yes, the email I got "suggested" a gift of $50.
Okay, that's new, thx. When I got in there was no suggestion. He probably got tired of people sending in $5. I've put out $30 twice over the years, once with 2.6.6 even though it was free, and once with 3 when I realized how much I used it, it was worth it.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 07:00 PM

Aha.. I found the Paypal transaction!!

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 07:08 PM

The recommended amount is $50 , or Sf50 ( Swiss Franks ) or 45 Eu ( Euro )
If you are using the application in a multi user/machine enviroment the suggested gift is $100 or Sf150 ( swiss Franks ).

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: starmillway

It does not appear to have any "options" and I've had two DVDs it would not process.
30 min is lucky with as busy as they are right now. I started the process around 11:00 PM, and around 2:30 AM I got the app, but there is a 6 hour difference. Right now they're saying give it a day or so possibly.

When MTR can't read discs there are other options. I know you know, but for the benefit of others, movie only, bad cell removal, etc, and their support forums are great for title specific problems.

RipIt's forums and feedback are non existent right now. Have they ever been online? This is the first time I've tried it.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info. $100 for a site license is reasonable. I use mine on one machine only anyway.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 07:17 PM

I still own a PPCG5 that does everything I ask of it.
Think I'm staying with 2.6.6 until I have to upgrade to Intel. smirk

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 07:18 PM

2.6.6 runs on Intel.

MTR 4 WHY? - 12/11/09 07:30 PM

Quote:
2.6.6 runs on Intel.

Umm… Uhh…
Then why upgrade???

???

???
confused

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 07:30 PM

Yep... 2.6.6 does run on Intel. I have a 3 month old Mac Pro and just ripped a movie with it an hour ago.

Re: MTR 4 WHY? - 12/11/09 08:05 PM

Because the encryption schemes have changed quite a bit 5 years. A lot of the newer movies don't work with it. If 2.6.6 works for what you need no need to pay to upgrade though.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 08:08 PM

Did you watch the rip to see if it really works?

A lot of new movies may finish, but part of the encryption is to corrupt the VOBs if they aren't read right.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: starmillway

At my first try, the process took 30 min. MTR is a work in progress. After this debut of 4.0 they are already receiving and making a list of tweaks and things to do to make it better.

RipIt is okay. I bought it in a bundle. It does not appear to have any "options" and I've had two DVDs it would not process. Can't remember what they were though. RipIt wanted me to submit the name automatically, etc. but I was a little reluctant*. I'll check out their forum to see what's wat!

*I've used MTR for 4 or 5 years -- can't remember -- and feel somewhat better about the way they try to keep things secure, etc.

I think I was not very clear in my post. [So what else is new?] smile

Repeat with amplifications:

At my first try [using MTR4], the process took 30 min. MTR is a work in progress. After this debut of 4.0 they are already receiving and making a list of tweaks and things to do to make it better.

RipIt is okay. I bought it in a bundle. It [RipIT] does not appear to have any "options" and I've had two DVDs it [RipIT] would not process. Can't remember what they were though. RipIt wanted me to submit the name automatically, etc. but I was a little reluctant*.

I have other apps I use for other rip related tasks:

DVDRemaster, DivX Converter, FairMount, VLC, HandBrake, Flip4Mac, QuickTime Pro

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/11/09 09:44 PM

Yeah.. it worked but it was an older movie...The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Re: What is this? - 12/11/09 10:34 PM

RipIt had forums up, but I think they prefer one on one contact.

I've never had any disc choke RipIt, and I've burned a couple things with toast 7 without any problem. Are the discs that are failing in bad shape? With the reviews it's been receiving it can't only be me with the luck laugh

oh, and I use it with the .dvdmedia extension …handbrake, toast, and PS3 media server all work with it.

Re: What is this? - 12/12/09 04:51 AM

What I have seen happen with Handbrake is when a new movie rips, it may seem like it is finished, but when you watch it, it skips all around in the movie.

Re: What is this? - 12/12/09 05:26 AM

What I have seen happen with Handbrake is when a new movie rips, it may seem like it is finished, but when you watch it, it skips all around in the movie.

It's the new copy protection schemes.

Re: What is this? - 12/12/09 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I tried the same movie using MTR, the resulting VIDEO_TS folder doesn't crash Toast, it makes a playable/burnable disc image just fine.

It's the new copy protection schemes, this movie was from 2006 so the scheme is 3 years old that RipIt can't handle.

Re: What is this? - 12/12/09 05:33 AM

That's why I asked NG4 if it played. They will seem like they rip, but have problems when played back.

Re: What is this? - 12/12/09 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: zwei
That's not good. No online support? I thought it just might be temporarily down. This is 2009. Not very conducive to quickly helping others out with the same problem. MTR has one subforum just for title specific problems. If you're having problems chances are someone else has too, so a searchable database is handy. You get what you pay for I guess. It takes time and resources to run a forum.

Re: What is this? - 12/12/09 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: zwei
That's not good. No online support? I thought it just might be temporarily down. This is 2009. Not very conducive to quickly helping others out with the same problem. MTR has one subforum just for title specific problems. If you're having problems chances are someone else has too, so a searchable database is handy. You get what you pay for I guess. It takes time and resources to run a forum.

Good point. I want easy to find help with any product.

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 12/13/09 09:53 AM

I have been checking for you.

Since you never did get v3 and don't have the license to send to get into the forums to find out how to get the app, PM geezer from the RipDifferent forums to see what you should do. I thought it was a lifetime license for contributors, but one of the mods suggested you PM him directly to clear it up. Maybe put something like 2.6.6 gifter needs v4 in the subject, and include your PayPal transaction # and amount in the body with a brief explanation. It sounds like you don't really use it much since you never needed v3 as many newer movies don't work with 2.6.6.

As an aside, got to love the internet. The perennial busybody there, GrannySmith had this to say about your situation.

It is very hard to understand why anyone would continue to gift and not want
to update from the free version. Do not want to speculate too much about why
he/she is trying now to get the newest version or access to the MTR 4 forum.

I lit him up, don't worry. laugh
Posted by: FSM

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 01/05/10 08:49 PM

i donated $30 back in 2006. will i be asked to donate $20 more?

that being said, i upgraded to 3 and i think i used it once. i used to back up every DVD my kids viewed in the car, but i've grown lazy and i think they've probably ruined 2 or 3 that i never backed up. doh. but perhaps jumping through all of these hoops will cause me to become more diligent this time. ;~)

Re: MTR 4 is out. - 01/05/10 09:35 PM

Just follow the steps, I've never heard of him refusing anybody, although the suggested gift has grown over the years. If the new one works for you, you use it more, and it saves you money send more in later.