"dinging" tones from Safari

Posted by: murrayandallie

"dinging" tones from Safari - 12/31/08 07:52 PM

This is weird - I have an Intel 2.4GHz core 2 duo iMac 24" , and my wife has a new alum. Macbook. I get a repetitive dinging tone which I discovered seems to only sound when Safari is running and docked and I am using whatever other program. My wife has experienced this on her brand new MacBook as well, though not as often as I get on the iMac. Both machines are running OSX 10.5.6 with all the latest software updates.
Any ideas?
Posted by: whitlock

Re: "dinging" tones from Safari - 12/31/08 09:02 PM

That sounds really weird. I haven't come upon this before, so I checked Macintouch to see if anyone else had reported a similar issue. Nope.

Have you tried turning off system sounds to see if that helps? Do they happen when its muted? Could you describe the sound? Do they sound like "Mac" sounds?
Posted by: flippy10

Re: "dinging" tones from Safari - 01/01/09 10:05 AM

With new OS X builds comes new weird bugs. For 10.5.4, there was this awesome one where going into dashboard would kernel panic.

Does it sound like whatever you have your OS X error/alert noise set to? Does the icon on the dock hop during it?

Re: "dinging" tones from Safari - 01/01/09 11:14 AM

The dinging is a repetitive bell like tone , unlike any sound I have heard from any Mac I have used. the dock icon doesn;t bounce,but the sound stops if I restart Safari. I am totally mystified, specially since I heard it on the MacBook as well! It was there before the latest upgrade to 10.5.6 so i don't think it is a specific bug to that upgrade.
Posted by: krusher117

Re: "dinging" tones from Safari - 01/01/09 11:17 AM

can you get a recording of it?

Re: "dinging" tones from Safari - 01/01/09 11:33 AM

I'll try:)
Posted by: krusher117

Re: "dinging" tones from Safari - 01/01/09 11:35 AM

sounds like a great youtube vid smile