Leopard Woes...

Posted by: oojacoboo

Leopard Woes... - 10/26/07 05:13 PM

OK, just wondering how all you guys are coming out with your Leopard installs.  I just tried to "upgrade" my MacBook without much luck.  It basically killed my OS.  So, I am now doing a fresh install!  No worries though as this is a backup system, I will just copy over all the files from my main rig.  It just worries me though; will this happen to my main rig as well? 

I will def be doing some serious backing-up before attempting it on this machine, but still...  I got some error about not being able to verify the "Essentials".  Then it was saying the system will reboot and reattempt the install. 
Posted by: echebon

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/26/07 07:53 PM

At least you got yours, I Pre-ordered 2 weeks ago waited all day never came. I called Fedex and they said the plane from California to Las Vegas was late and it wont be delivered till monday. And that maybe if I call early tomorrow i might be able to pick it up. But anyway hope you get you Macbook up and running soon.
Posted by: zenstate

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/26/07 11:28 PM

Upgrade installs are always a bad idea anyway.

Always better to do fresh installs.
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 06:39 AM

that happened to me when I did an Archive and Install, but then it rebooted and worked swimmingly.  Now I'm rocking with leopard, which I am really liking so far.  Especially since as a college student, I live with a bunch of people, 5 of whom have macs.  So the family edition price of $40 each is much better.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 08:24 AM

I have it running on my MacBook and an iBook G4. Both upgrades without issues.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 08:58 AM

True geeks start fresh guys!  smile

I find clean installs to be more stable and also slightly faster at things like rebooting and general finder use.

If you bake a pie in a pie dish and then go to make another do you not clean the dish first?  Maybe thats a bad analogy but hey..  I tried. 
Posted by: soundmann18

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 10:05 AM

well i certainly don't....
but yeah, I just did a fresh install of 10.4 about a month ago when i put a new harddrive in this machine, so I figured that what was on here should still be clean.  So far my favorite feature is dictionary in spotlight, it was quite useful while I was writing a paper last night.  I have a nice 22" external monitor for my PB, so I won't be using spaces while the laptop is on my desk, and I'd already been using stacks by having folders full of aliases on my dock - these actually got converted into stacks, which was pretty cool.  I've gotta go get some blank dvds so I can clear up space on my externals and then I'll set up time machine.
Posted by: whitlock

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 11:12 AM

My Leopard woes come from waiting.  Sure, I could go down to the Apple store and buy a copy.  I could do that.  Though I should wait until Monday and buy it from the employer for $65.

It's nice to work for the University.

Seriously tempted to go to the Apple store though...I'm pathetic!

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 11:24 AM

Well, I resorted to a fresh install; not by choice.  And, while I do agree with you Zen, I got so many things in so many places on here, it would take me days to get everything back in order.  Its already a hassle moving around files between drives and backing up things to make this install.  I just can't risk to lose any files and I have so many settings and such that make productivity much better that it would be a shame to lose them...

I may have to do another fresh install and then manually transfer everything back on this main rig.  I am just hoping thats not the case, sooooo many files....

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 01:01 PM

Personally I think its geekier to maintain an install without erasing it for as long as possible. And thats no mean feat. The number of machines I see which are on their original installs 4 or 5 ears down the line is higher than I thought it would be.

Here is a Leopard tip for anyone unfortunate enough to use Entourage. Exclude your mail database from your time machine backup. Since its a continuous file, TM will copy the whole thing every day. Your backup drive will run out fast.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: "whitlock "

My Leopard woes come from waiting.  Sure, I could go down to the Apple store and buy a copy.  I could do that.  Though I should wait until Monday and buy it from the employer for $65.

It's nice to work for the University.

Seriously tempted to go to the Apple store though...I'm pathetic!

You're a geek..  how can you be pathetic?  HEHE

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

Personally I think its geekier to maintain an install without erasing it for as long as possible. And thats no mean feat. The number of machines I see which are on their original installs 4 or 5 ears down the line is higher than I thought it would be.

Here is a Leopard tip for anyone unfortunate enough to use Entourage. Exclude your mail database from your time machine backup. Since its a continuous file, TM will copy the whole thing every day. Your backup drive will run out fast.

I do fresh installs about every 6 months.  Its just a habit I have developed over many years of geekery.
Posted by: echebon

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/27/07 02:22 PM

I got Leopard today. I can't believe Fedex delivered it on saturday, I went the easy way and upgraded, took 30min on my Mac Pro. No problems all my settings stayed the same. It's cool that Front Row is now in the Applications folder, and the keyboard shortcut works after you enable it in the keyboard preferences. So far I like it alot.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/28/07 06:36 PM

Where are my custom buttons for Dashboard and ExposeŽ?!?

Whats with the semi-transparent menu bar? 

The new dock is HUGE and UGLY!

New folder icons suck, and let me change the folder icons in the dock for stacks!  How the hell am I suppose to remember what each of these stacks are?

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/28/07 06:54 PM

well, to answer one of my questions, if you want custom keys for dashboard and Expose, go to your Keyboard and Mouse settings in the CP and hit the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/29/07 06:45 AM

I think you mean SP. Otherwise someone has sent you a copy of Winblows with a Leopard skin for joke.

My dock isn't huge though. And stacks should show their names when you hover over them. You're right when you say the dock isn't all that pretty though. I guess there isn't that much you can really do with it aesthetically.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/29/07 08:11 PM

War, yes, system prefs wink

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/30/07 02:13 AM

smile

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/30/07 07:57 PM

Does anyone know if Time Machine will allow you to backup to another partition on the same hard drive?  Let's not argue about how stupid that may be, but for some of us who tend to keep good backups (myself) and just want to have their project folders backed up using this method, then it's worth it.

Sure, the partition may have a different name, but it would be mounted as disk0s3 (example)...which would be the same in Unix. Just curious if Apple prevented Time Machine to operate on the same physical media this way. 

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/30/07 09:45 PM

Thats a good question Whitlock, I dunno.  I am getting another HD for Time Machine, personally.  But, I would be interested to know.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 10/31/07 05:52 AM

My Boot Camp partition shows up as available for TM, though it warns me I would need to reformat. So I would say yes you can backup to another partition.

Re: Leopard Woes... - 11/01/07 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

My Boot Camp partition shows up as available for TM, though it warns me I would need to reformat. So I would say yes you can backup to another partition.

Well if it will detect the Boot Camp partition and allow it, then I'd take that as a yes.  Thanks War!