Which mac is for me?

Posted by: qwertyuiop

Which mac is for me? - 09/14/07 04:39 PM

I currently have a nice vista machine, but I'm looking for another laptop just for web browsing and basic tasks, I've used clamshells, and modded them ;), I have also done some mods on iBook g3 Snow books, painting hard drive etc., I was wondering if a clamshell would be sufficiant (I'm fine with 802.11b) or a snow book, or any other mac laptop, I'm looking for somthing durable and with good batterylife.  I just would like to know what you guys would think is best for that purpas.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/14/07 05:02 PM

get a macbook, grab a copy of parallels and ebay the vista machine wink

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/14/07 06:06 PM

I cant sell my vista machine, we've had so many good times together :), I'm not buying anything intel either, I have had nothing but bad luck with intel, my vista laptop is a VIA C7-M 2.0ghz, I stay away from intel
Posted by: Tigaernach

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/15/07 02:59 AM

My father uses an old PowerBook G4 1.67 for everything he does,
and he gets a good 1,5 hrs of battery life if I'm not mistaking.
It handles everyday tasks really well, and even some heavier things.
They do have some issues with the power port, so you should
be careful when buying to see if that still works.
I don't think they are that easy to find, but when you find one, you
will be happy with it if it still works fine. I'm a big fan of the old G4
Macs, don't think you could go really wrong with one of those.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/15/07 05:02 AM

I had a G3 500 13 inch snow iBook, I loved it and passed it on to my wife to get her off the Dell we had. Now she loves it!
I am using a Titanium I got off of flea-bay that needed an new LCD. It is great, and I love the bigger/wider screen. But for battery life the wifes iBook wins. I will go a good 4 hours of web surfing. A full hour more than my Titanium.

I have had a couple clamshells, They seem a little slow now, even after over clocking. But for web surfing that should be enough. if your on a budget like me.

Oh, my titanium is a 667 ans is the only "stock" Mac I have.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/15/07 05:18 AM

Apple Intel machines are built by Apple. Not by Intel. I bet any problems you have had are with the build quality of boards, not the quality of chips on the boards. For all we know, intel have their mobos etc put together by the lowest bidder. Apple does not operate this way. Parts are well chosen and well-assembled more often than not. And a MacBook would be under warranty.

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/15/07 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By: "Waragainstsleep "

Apple Intel machines are built by Apple. Not by Intel. I bet any problems you have had are with the build quality of boards, not the quality of chips on the boards. For all we know, intel have their mobos etc put together by the lowest bidder. Apple does not operate this way. Parts are well chosen and well-assembled more often than not. And a MacBook would be under warranty.

I think it was the processer, not the chipset, it happened on my old p3 dell, it ran 1200MHz, when I unplugged it according to intel the processer would step down to 800MHz, it didn't for about 20min, and by then my battery was at 10%, On my new laptop it's VIA C7-M changes the speed instantainously, and it can go down to 300MHz (for simple tasks), it gets almost 4hrs, I love it, the laptop is just big and thick, and it has a glossy screen; I still have to find the advantage of those...
Posted by: 987687

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/15/07 08:05 AM

Intel CPUs have come a long way since the P3, you can't say that intels are bad because of a bad experience with  a P3. And it was probably windows' fault anyway...

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/15/07 08:59 AM

I only had windows on it for a couple of months, then ubuntu linux
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/16/07 06:38 AM

And did you check that the step-down features were supported by Ubuntu?
And don't overlook Dell as a culprit either. They may be one of the biggest makers around, but to sell boxes at their current prices they must be cutting corners somewhere.

Re: Which mac is for me? - 09/16/07 08:26 AM

mine was over 3k!, it wasn't that cheap, the features was in the bios anyway
Posted by: 987687

Re: Which mac is for me? - 11/04/07 04:09 PM

My current laptop is a thinkpad t61p running Debian linux with dualboot vista so I can play DX10 games. And the Centrino Duo CPU has scaling all the way down to about 200MHz from 2.2GHz. So the intel CPUs scale nicely now. Crysis looks really nice on the Quadro FX 570M and DX10... smile