how do you have your system setup

Posted by: TCPMeta

how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 03:28 AM

Just to kill some time of my bored'em I thought it would be fun to post hardware setups we all use.

Heres my B&W setup.
(Software)
Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.3
Xcode 2
DarwinPorts
iLife 05
XDarwin
Tons of Unix like programs and toys.

Dashboard disabled. Spotlight also disabled and Custom Bezil icons.

(hardware)
As you can see on the buttom of my post you can see the system specs but not in full detail.
So here goes.

Both 40GB drives are set on IDE controller 1. Master has OSx and the second one has been partition into two partitons. One is set for a 1.5GB swap partition while the other uses a link alias to DarwinPorts and Xcode 2. My 120GB drive is a one partition connected with my Pioneer surper drive on IDE controller 2. This drive is used for backing up files, MP3s, Games and Classic emulation. Kinda sad because I use Classic in OS X then use the vMac emulator for playing some real old classic games like SimCity and PT109 lol. I have a external IDE 40GB drive I use as my final backup for just in case and also comes in handy for my iBook since it only has a 20GB HD. I had YellowDog installed on the external but I got rid of it.

I have the Radeon 7000 PCI video card with 64MB vRam with my primary monitor connected and my left monitor pluged in the DVI with a DVI-2-VGA adapter. I also have my old stock Rage 128 in for my Right monitor, works quite nice.

I use a standard PC 3 button scroll optical USB mouse and a small size 105key Logitech USB keyboard that is made for the PS2 gaming console.

JVC computer controlled receiver with 5.1 surround sound with two Jensen 100watt bass speakers and two RCA 10inch 100watt speakers, 200watt Sony sub woffer and and Awia 100watt speaker used as the center speaker. I could,'t stand the speakers that came with the tuner.

All of this sitting on a cheap 90 dollor desk from walmart with a cheap addition I made for it to be L shaped from a old book shelf lol.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 06:34 AM

i mostly do video editing and graphic design, so my setups mostly reflect that.

4x2.5Ghz G5QUAD, 4 gig RAM, 16x DL superdrive, 2x500 gig HDD the first drive with two partitions, one used for a dedicated swap file disk. I'm working on adding an old 4gig 4200rpm laptopdrive as the swap disk, with custom HDD activity LEDs. A 20in G5 LCD (Shared with my g4 laptop) I opted to go with a graphite imac keyboard cause i like the key layout a little better also provides a power key (me likey)

it's very sparse on programs:
no printer drivers, additional lauguage support, or addtional programs. not even ilife 05.
usually not connected to the internet either.
installed are:
adobe CS2
final cut studio
and a few neccessary audio/video programs.
thinking about getting doom 3
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

1Ghz G4 15in Powerbook, 1.5 gig RAM, self installed 100gig 5400 RPM HDD and 8xDL superdrive (yes i did void my apple care when i did it, be warned) the HDD also has two partitions one for use as a swap file disk. i use my Project::B.O.M.B. 400gig external HDD (custom cased 2x400 gig external HDDs) An RCA truFlat TV for monitoring video output, shared with the QUAD. Also shares a set of Logitech 2.1 speakers with QUAD (can't remeber the model ,too lazy to look)

This compy is used as my plaything
i have done tons of GUI mods short of buying any Unsanity products to modify the interface. though it is my next logical step.

i have installed:
adobe CS2
finalcut studio
ilife 05
lots of little apps that allow me to do a number of fun things with graphics, video,and audio
quake 3
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

450Mhz G4 Cube, 512Mb RAM, laptop combodrive w/ custom mounting bracket. 60gig 5400 RPM latop HDD w/ custom mounting bracket. added a red LED basefan, removed the inner metal lining of the case, added an ATI 7500 (popped off the heatsink and added one w/ a fan) though it mostly runs headless. Keyspan digital media remote, and imic.

this compy is my stereo juke box. it only runs itunes. no printer divers, additional lauguage support, anything. i think tiger was installed under 2 gigs. it's conected to an ONKYO tx-8511 stereo reciever with custom built speaker cabinets (each with an 8in fullrange, 8in sub, 3in fullrange, and 1in tweeter), a 12inch sony hometheater Sub, and the logictech speakers on my desk for psuedo-quadrophonic sound.

i need a biger desk. it's kind of cramped having the Powerbook, QUAD, and TV occuping the same 24x60in area. :pinch:

macDeviant laugh

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/12/09 14:36
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 07:32 AM

1.33 12" AlBook sitting on a sweet glowing blue acrylic stand
- OS 10.4.3
- 21" Sony Trinitron monitor for the dual
- Creative 2.1 computer speakers - nothing special there
- HP all in one printer
- 160 GB firewire drive, has ripped movies and my photo/video applications
- FCP 4.5
- DVD Studio Pro 4
- Photoshop CS1
- The Godfather parts 1,2&3 (was going to put them on DVD, but not till I get some DL discs, too good of a movie for compression)
- My roommate bought a 16x DL firewire DVD burner, so I've got that plugged in now
- White USB apple keyboard
- BT mouse that I don't use often cuz I sorta messed it up, I'll fix it eventually
- iLife 05

All sitting on a sweet desk I built in the beginning of the semester, 2x6 with a 2x1.5 square sticking out each end for a bit of a wrap around. I wish I'd made one of those ends longer.

Posted by: modyourmac

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 07:56 AM

My setups are pretty straightforward as well. My portable is an 800MHz G4 iBook, with 640MB of ram, an 80GB hard drive, and a DVD burner, all running 10.4.3.

At home, my desk is home to 3 mac's, and a sparingly used PC. My primary desktop system is a G4 DIgital audio running at 1.4GHz, with 1.5GB of ram, 650GB of storage, a radeon 9200, a radeon 9600, and a DVR-110 in the drive bay. Its also outputting to a 20" dell and two 15" apple flats. There's a Yamaha USB audio processor putting out to the home theatre.

Also on my desk is my Mac Mini (1.25GHz) with a gig of ram, and my 500MHz Blue & White, running 10.4.

On my bench at work, there's two Digital Audio machines, both running at 1GHz, and an 867MHz quicksilver. Between them there's about 1800GB of storage space, 2 DVD burners, and 3GB of RAM. These machines are primarily for data backup, clones, transfers and diagnostic work smile

This is what I use on a daily basis. I wont get into all the other stuff I have lying aound, running or otherwise. :silly:
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 09:08 AM

Nothing too fancy here, My "Main" desk has a Blue&White 450 running 10.3 with 350mb memory and a 10gig Hd hooked to a 21" dell trinitron, shared with my gaming pc. Old apple keyboard and the soap bar optical mouse. And a 20 gig usb hard drive full of music and video. This was my second Mac and is an old friend.
Beside this and rarely used is a pc I built: Athlon 64 3300 80gig, nVidia gforce 5700 256mb running Windoz Xp ina cool mini case about the size of a toaster.
And to the rear; my new iMac G5 2 GHz with 160 gig ultra ata Hard drive and dual layer superdrive, 512 megs (I need more) running 10.4.3 with a Kensington scroll wheel mouse and the white keyboard that came with it. iLife and all the gee-gahs :P

Reason for edit: I cant spell
:silly:

Post edited by: anil8tor, at: 2005/12/09 17:10
Posted by: maestro

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 09:58 AM

I pretty extensive setup. My main system is a G5 2.0dp, 2gb, 500gb, overclocked and modded ati 9650 with dual 17," and an ADS pyro FW, wireless keyboard and MX510 mouse, custom built speakers, Onkyo amp, Logitech usb headset. My iPrint server is hooked up to a HP color and soon to be laser. The MacMod Server mod is a G3 400, 512mb ram, h20 kit, 6gb and 12gb ata on ata pci card, dual 160gb satas on sata pci card, 17" ati 7000, 17" Apple crt, Apple keyboard and mouse. Powerbook Pismo loaded, stock. B/W G3 stock (for now) 17"crt, Apple keyboard and mouse. PowerMac 7500 with G3 card 128mb ram, ati rage card, no monitor, Apple abd keyboard and mouse. All and networked except 7500. Thats about it.
-maestro

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 11:23 AM

What'd you do to custom build speakers?
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 12:25 PM

I'd like to upload a picture of my current setup, but unfortunately, my Exilim charger is AWOL and the one that worked for a while stopped working a while ago. :P So, here (I hope it uploads...) is a picture of an older setup:

Here, you can see (from left) my Exilim dock, MX900 dock, Studio Display, MX900, AlBook, LaserJet 1300, screen cloth, PageUp, Advil bottle (LOL), and Wireless Keyboard tucked underneath in its keyboard tray. Hidden in the background are my external hard drive in the old ADS case (now in the Metal Gear Box case) and the SoundSticks. Currently, my AlBook is on top of the cooling pad, attached to the docking station; my printer is out of the picture on the left; my mouse is on a tray attached to the keyboard tray; the old external hard drive is in a drawer; and the new LaCie Big Disk occupies some of the space taken up by the printer in this photo. the exilim dock is no longer connected to my USB hub, and the MX900 dock is on the other side now. Way out of the picture on the left is my old Purple Pill, as I call the iMac, which still has its original keyboard, but a new Macally IceMini. The empty G4 case from eBay is sitting on the floor near the Pill. My Mighty Mouse is in my laptop carrying case, along with a round Panther mouse pad that I "borrowed" from Fry's... What?!!! They had, like, millions of 'em!!! whistle

EDIT: Any ideas on how to get the picture upload to work?

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/12/10 02:43
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 12:26 PM

I'm very impressed with everybody elses systems... rather, I'm impressed with all the money people have to make these systems happen laugh

My main setup is quite simple:

iMac G5 Rev B 20" | 2.0GHz G5 | 1Gig RAM | 250Gig HDD & 80Gig Ext HDD | Mactallic 20" Black Bezel & Touchturn

At the moment I'm focusing all my energy and money on Project: Surgius--a radical and highly upgraded PM 9600/200. I won't get into the actual modification(s) yet because it will be displayed later. Here are the specs:

Power Macintosh 9600 Logic Board "Type A"
Custom Power Macintosh G5 Aluminum Case
9600 Mach V Power Supply @ 560 Watts
1,536MB RAM 168-pin, 5v EDO 64-bit, 2k refresh, 60ns DIMMs, interleaved
PowerLogix PowerForce 750GX G3/1GHz PCI w/ 1024k (1MB ) of cache running @ 1GHz
ATI Radeon 9200 PCI @ 128MB VRAM
ATI Radeon 7000 PCI @ 64MB VRAM
Western Digital Raptor 40GB SATA 10k HD
Sonnet Tango Firewire/USB PCI
Serial ATA PCI
Pioneer DL Superdrive
OS X Tiger w/ XPostFacto
Dual 15" LCD

And still upgrading...

I may buy a Sonnet Crescendo G4/800MHz PCI for Altivec, but the G3 is actually faster in many cases. You'll see a lot more on this project later.

Great job on everybody's rigs!

Post edited by: shadowboxer47, at: 2005/12/09 20:28
Posted by: iProd

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 12:55 PM

Sigh...my set up doesn't match up to most of yours, but here I go...

14" iBook | 1.33ghz G4 | 512mb DDR RAM | 60 gb 4200prm HD

80gb 7200rpm in a Ścomdata 3.5" USB/FW enclosure | iPod Mini + Dock

Graphite Apple keyboard | Belkin 3button mouse | 15" Princeton monitor with a

bad backlight | USB HUB | Canoscan N1220U scanner | speakers (dunno what

brand they are...I got them for free and they are very nice laugh | And an unused PSP

aluminum case being used as a laptop stand

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 01:18 PM

iProd wrote:
Quote:
Sigh...my set up doesn't match up to most of yours, but here I go...

If I were wise (I'm obviously not), I would only spend money on computer equipment I need. Don't worry about it wink

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 01:38 PM

After reading all of that it makes my system seem weak and heck. I need to even it out with my two main PCs lol, I know, they're not macs but I need to feel like a man here instead of a shrimp.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2GHz) with 1MB Cashe 2000MHz FSB DualCore
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D with nForce 4 chipset socket 939, PCI Express, Gigabit lan, USB 2.0 and Firewire, Serial ATA with RAID.
4GB of DDR400 (PC3200)
XFX GeForce FX 6600LE PCIe 256MB vram.
WesternDigital 200GB Serial ATA HD
Sony DVD+RW 8x4x16
Thermaltake Silver Armor Aluminum Full-Tower ATX Case with 11 drive bays.
Ceap 10 dollor 3rd party speakers and cheap GE PS\\2 keyboard and 5 button mouse.

Sadly this is my system at work. Funny thing is this system was for a client that I built for and crashed it not even two hours later and demaned a refund. So I gave him the refund and reinstalled XP and also tossed on Linux and wrote it off as a tax write off.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1600MHz FSB 512KB cashe
Forgot the motherboard model, it's from Gigabyte.
gigabit lan, USB 2.0 firewire, Serial ATA, RAID, IDE, RealTek AC'97 Codec sound. nForce 3 chipset.
GeForce FX 5200 256MB vram AGP, 2 GeForce4 Ti PCI 128MB vram.
160GB Serial ATA HD from WesternDigital.
Pioneer DVD+RW 8x4x16
SoundBlaster Live Plat 5.1
100watt Marshall guitar amp (used to power my sound hehehe, can't go past volume 2 or it will blow up the soundcard or my ears)
2 old Marshall half stacks with cheapo 200watt speakers.
36inch Sony Trintitron TV
two 17inch Dell P780 CRT monitors.
Crummy MS bluetooth keyboard and 3 button mouse.

This system is wasting away at my band's house, currently using it for recording and mixing music.

Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2005/12/09 21:44
Posted by: destructospin

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/09/05 08:11 PM

i sold my ibook, because i was strapped for cash
so now im down to my beige powermac g3
233mhz, 64mb ram, and a dead hard drive
im gonna turn it into a file storage/media/folding@home thing
when i get 10.2

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 12:03 AM

Heres my B&W's setup. Don't mind the buttom pic, it's a PC mod i've been working on.

http://68.209.133.69/
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 12:36 AM

I am strapped for space, time and cash so I mothballed my "SawSmurf" (destined to make a triumphant return) and got rid of most of my junk, I mean extra parts and stuff. I basically used all of my best parts to convert my iBook G3 500 into a jukebox. My current set up is based around my wireless network. Two airport express hubs form a seamless network in our apartment, with speakers on the living room hub (Ad Astra Primus) and speakers and a little HP all in one printer on the bedroom hub (Ad Astra Secundus) The G3 500 Jukebox sits on the bookshelf above the tv and streams music through the house. It has a little usb remote (keyspan) and an iPod dock. I have no desk. My wife and I each have an iBook, hers is a gorgeous 14" G3 800 I scored on ebay in perfect condition for $500. It needs ram though, at 256 mb. Need to get on that. My iBook is a 12" G4 1.2 It is still stock except for 768mb of ram. It just came off warrenty so watch out. Either machine can controll the stereo in either room from any room, thanks to iTunes sharing. We can also print from anywhere too. My next project is to integrate my 120 gig external hard drive into the network. I am sooo over wires. I am sitting on no less than 4 motherboards right now, 2 wallstreets, a smurf and a sawtooth. Think I'll use one of the wallstreets (or maybe the smurf) to build a little wireless server and BAM! network storage good to go.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 01:46 AM

There will be a big write up on the custom computer speakers, stay tuned!
-maestro

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 02:23 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
-maestro

Hah! Custom speakers rock, most literally too laugh gotta watch the RMS power and Ohms though or you'll blow the amp over time. that or get the extended warranty wink

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 04:04 AM

maestro wrote:
Quote:
-maestro

I for one welcome our custom speakers overlord

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 04:09 AM

shadowboxer47 wrote:
Quote:

since he is the overlord. does that mean i can be the underlord...? hmm nevermind that just sounds wrong :pinch:

macDeviant :woohoo:

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 04:12 AM

macDeviant wrote:
Quote:
shadowboxer47 wrote:
Quote:

since he is the overlord. does that mean i can be the underlord...? hmm nevermind that just sounds wrong :pinch:

heh heh heh heh...

Ha Ha Ha Ha...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 07:58 AM

just to satiate my curiousity, do mean building a speaker starting with a magnet and coil of wires, or do you mean using a speaker you bought from somewhere and building a cabinet?

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 09:17 AM

ooh good question *gives a gold star* :woohoo:

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 03:55 PM

You will soon see.
-maestro

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/10/05 10:42 PM

that's a fairly lame atempt at satiating my curiosity, but I suppose there is nothing for me to do but wait.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 08:14 AM

Mirror Door G4 with 768MB RAM, 120GB, 80GB, 40GB, and 30GB HDs, DVDROM and CDRW. Running Tiger Server but also has Tiger and Panther Server on various drives.
Has two extra ethernet PCI cards and a USB 2.0 Card for iPod Universal Dock (with 4GB Nano).

PowerBook G3 333MHz Lombard with 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, DVDRW (won't burn DVDs though), wireless. Running Panther and 9.2.2.

Xserve G4 1GHz waiting for a case, its own RAM (as opposed to borrowed from the MDD), a drive module and blower to arrive and the DVDRW from the PowerBook (have a spare DVD for that). Also needs a couple of riser cards and an optical drive cable. Maybe some extra fans.

Also arriving with the drive module is logic, CPU and PSU for another G4 Xserve 1.33GHz. Begging to be finished off when the first is done.

I have a stack of old Beige G3s and a couple of old PCs about too.
Posted by: hookem2oo7

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 10:18 AM

12" 1.33GHz iBook G4, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb Toshiba crap 4200 rpm hdd, 10.4.3
iBook Clamshell Indigo SE 366Mhz overclocked to 450Mhz, 40Gb HDD, 576MB RAM, 10.4.3

and since I am a new mac convert...

Dual Athlon 2000+ workstation (1.67Ghz OC'd @ 1.78Ghz), 1gb RAM, 80Gb 7200rpm Seagate, winxp pro (would be runnng FC4, but no one has written a driver for my wireless card that will play nice with the SMP kernel frown )
Posted by: maclover1986

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 10:47 AM

Blueberry iMac 350
USB-To-IDE adapter
Logitech USB Wireless MouseMan
Epson Stylus Color 777i
JVC Integrated Stereo Amplifier with four speakers and a sub
Mac OS X Panther v.10.3.9

Future additions:
Maybe a DVD burner, or fastest possible CD burner
Any given iPod

I would give my iMac 350 for an iMac G4 with SuperDrive... ... That 350 drives me insane. It freezes way too often. I try to defrag it but its no use.
Posted by: maclover1986

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 11:09 AM

TCPMeta wrote:
Quote:
After reading all of that it makes my system seem weak and heck. I need to even it out with my two main PCs lol, I know, they're not macs but I need to feel like a man here instead of a shrimp.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2GHz) with 1MB Cashe 2000MHz FSB DualCore
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D with nForce 4 chipset socket 939, PCI Express, Gigabit lan, USB 2.0 and Firewire, Serial ATA with RAID.
4GB of DDR400 (PC3200)
XFX GeForce FX 6600LE PCIe 256MB vram.
WesternDigital 200GB Serial ATA HD
Sony DVD+RW 8x4x16
Thermaltake Silver Armor Aluminum Full-Tower ATX Case with 11 drive bays.
Ceap 10 dollor 3rd party speakers and cheap GE PS\\2 keyboard and 5 button mouse.

Sadly this is my system at work. Funny thing is this system was for a client that I built for and crashed it not even two hours later and demaned a refund. So I gave him the refund and reinstalled XP and also tossed on Linux and wrote it off as a tax write off.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1600MHz FSB 512KB cashe
Forgot the motherboard model, it's from Gigabyte.
gigabit lan, USB 2.0 firewire, Serial ATA, RAID, IDE, RealTek AC'97 Codec sound. nForce 3 chipset.
GeForce FX 5200 256MB vram AGP, 2 GeForce4 Ti PCI 128MB vram.
160GB Serial ATA HD from WesternDigital.
Pioneer DVD+RW 8x4x16
SoundBlaster Live Plat 5.1
100watt Marshall guitar amp (used to power my sound hehehe, can't go past volume 2 or it will blow up the soundcard or my ears)
2 old Marshall half stacks with cheapo 200watt speakers.
36inch Sony Trintitron TV
two 17inch Dell P780 CRT monitors.
Crummy MS bluetooth keyboard and 3 button mouse.

This system is wasting away at my band's house, currently using it for recording and mixing music.Post edited by: TCPMeta, at: 2005/12/09 21:44

Hey TCP,

You think your system is bad? Wait till you read about mine. Your system probably makes my iMac 350 look like its obsolete.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 12:06 PM

Yea, that is a bit sad but hey as long as it can access the web and run some simple word prosseing then it's a good system.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 12:56 PM

which is more than can be said for the 4 week old 2.8 ghz pentium 4 boxes my family just bought - already barely moving from spyware and crap. i tried my hardest to get them to get a mac, and i think i can get a g3 for free to set up just to show them what they are missing.

reason for edit: missing verbs

Post edited by: soundmann18, at: 2005/12/12 20:58

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 02:16 PM

(Whoah, oh-oh-oh...) For the longest time (LOL, I hope someone else gets that...), I ran OS 9 on a 333 MHz iMac, and even played stuff like Episode I Racer and Droidworks (am I the resident Star Wars geek?), and on top of that, it was purple... So don't feel too bad about your blue 350.

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/12/12 22:24

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 03:05 PM

Simple fix for the PCs. Install SUSE Linux or Fedora Core.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 04:16 PM

JediJoker7169 wrote:
Quote:
(am I the resident Star Wars geek?)

My name is Luke, and I have longish dirty blonde hair that makes me look somewhat like Mark Hammil, so i'm star wars geek since birth - but i suppose i'll leave that title for you, as "jedi" is in your alias. And as for Linux, I may try that out on one of the boxes over break and see how my family can handle it (they aren't very tech savvy)

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/12/05 06:25 PM

Well, at least I'm not alone...

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 12:25 AM

My fiancee is a starwars geek. She plays knights of the old republic 1 and 2 all the time on her xbox. She even went and saw Ep III so many times I lost count lol.

That's why I said SUSE and Fedora since it's urber easy to config and work with. To me they're like the Mac OS X of Linux lol.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 12:31 AM

uh, you're so not alone. my car's license plate is:

"OBIJUAN"

had that plate for ten years now, and I'm NOT giving it up smile

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 12:39 AM

modyourmac wrote:
Quote:

"OBIJUAN"

That's awesome! :woohoo:

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 12:47 AM

Kinda funny on the plate thing. When I got my new car lastyear I went over to my fiancee's parents house and her mom is a big StarGate geek. She looked at my car and noticed the plate was a planet code name on StarGate. to this day she wants my plate.
Posted by: anil8tor

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 01:04 AM

Let me guess; P3X somthing somthing?
Yep I like StarGate too wink

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 02:36 AM

My mother in law has the same fascination. She has virtually all the episodes of StarGate on DVD. I don't watch TV really so I don't get it. Then again, I thought Star Wars was lame too so maybe that's why... :P

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 03:56 AM

i was born May 25th 1983, the same fateful release date of Return of the JEDI. Uber-geek from birth, though i didn't ask for this calling.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 05:54 AM

okay, just to make the young feel young, and the old feel old (today is my 30th birthday). My favourite New Order album (power, corruption & lies) came out 4 months before macDeviant was born whistle

okay, off to hang out with the adults. I cant loiter out back and smoke with the cool kids anymore...

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 06:31 AM

hey you're not over the hill yet. :evil: and here on Macmod.com we're all "the cool kids" no matter what age. *offers a cigarette* wink

macDeviant laugh

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 06:34 AM

word to that. smile

although, I really am quitting smoking at midnight. Always said I would, so now I'm gonna own up and do it.

Now to see if I can smoke a carton before midnight :silly:

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 06:43 AM

HAH... did near the same thing when i quit drinking. downed a bottle of Stolichnaya. (durn good vodkee) i had a hangover for 2 days. it was great laugh

macDeviant

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 06:46 AM

heh, I've not given up the boozorz yet. I'm stil a conniseur of rums, vodkas and scotches. But I need to give up the other vice. Ten years of it is enough for me. Course, if I actually tried to smoke an entire carton, I think that would up and kill me straight away. Either that, or my lungs would crawl out my mouth and beat me.

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 06:52 AM

that could have been what my liver and kidneys were trying to do \\... it all makes sense now.

boy this thread took a strange turn for the odd. laugh

Post edited by: macDeviant, at: 2005/12/13 14:52
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 07:32 AM

My System:

Fast processor with leaky cache;
Slow system bus;
Lots of RAM but leaks worse than the cache;
Graphics card frequently displays millions of colours. Not always when appropriate;
Hard drive safely storing everything, but doesn't always allow access (permissions need repairing);
Optical drive: I can read fine in the absence of beer;
Airflow frequently contaminated;
PSU overworked and probably slightly clogged;
Water cooling kicks in more often than it should;

OS: Holding up remarkably well all things considered....

smile

Post edited by: waragainstsleep, at: 2005/12/13 15:33

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 07:04 PM

modyourmac wrote:
Quote:

"OBIJUAN"

I'm hoping for either an Apple or Star Wars inspired vanity plate for my first car. Originally, the car I was looking at was a '92 Mitsu-Bitchy Eclipse, which I affectionately called "The Wedge," and so I was thinking it might have been--yep, you guessed it--ANTILES. My family got a Honda Odyssey a few years ago, and we were hoping for ODDISHE, but wound up with URSOVAN (think Carly Simon).

In terms of SciFi TV shows, though, FarScape pwns all...
Posted by: longbow

Re:how do you have your system setup - 12/13/05 10:01 PM

My main machine:
quicksilver 867 with a gig of ram running 10.4.3 (it is also custom light) I have it set up on one desk running two 19" monitors.

On my second desk I have whatever computer I am working on at the time, currently it is an upgraded 9600 that is doing file-sharing and running a webcam for me. I also have a se/30 running off to the side. And of course there are plenty of old macs laying around my room waiting to be worked on.

Post edited by: longbow, at: 2005/12/14 06:04

Post edited by: longbow, at: 2005/12/14 21:35