MUST have!

Posted by: Anonymous

MUST have! - 05/25/01 04:26 PM

I asked myself, "What widget could you absolutely not live without on your Mac?" And the answer was (drum roll, please)... ApplWindows! No, it has NOTHING to do with Microsoft... It is an old control panel that allows you to access your Finder menu just about anywhere you want and upon switching to an app in the Finder menu, ApplWindows will hide all other apps for you. "Other softwares do stuff like that", you say? Well, yes and no. FinderPop is great and I use that heavily. Wapp Pro is cool too. BUT, ApplWindows behaves in ways they don't! Let me say it again: I can't imagine not having this widget, ApplWindows, on all my Macs. And everyone that I have gotten to use it says the same, "a must-have". Glom it: http://207.208.148.74/files/ApplWindows.sit IT IS FREE, and works with OS 9.1 perfectly even though it is an oldie (1992!)<br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 08:01 AM

Old habits die hard--I'm glad to see you're still loving ApplWindows, nycdewd. ;)<br><br>What are my must-have utilities... probably CM Tools 3, for quick and easy file management... A Better Finder Rename comes in mighty handy for renaming MP3s and the likes... GoMac is exceptional, as well, although I'm trying to use my new iBook without it to see if I can manage... finally, ResEdit, so I can remove those blasted ads from AIM. :)<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 10:49 AM

well application windows will maybe do some things I don't do.. I have had it installed in the past but I have so much other stuff I must have removed it thinking what does this do that I don't already have... I have some 175 items in my extension folder (and we all know how many of those items are folders full of more extensions), lugging 50 control panels around so I may as well be patriotic to the American nature of this equipment and install 51.... see if that gives me some more conflicts.<br><br>Oh yeah and I concur I am a GoMac addict... ResEdit is probably the application I use MOST whether I am online or not..(apart from ICQ AIM and Eudora which all run whenever I am on net, which is mostly). Almost every application I have has been opened and scrutinized, pulled apart and put back together again in ResEdit. None of them have a standard splash! (why just an hour ago for an experiment I removed Eudora's splash entirely, even though I had recently made a batch of 30 splash's for it). Some applications like IE now have animated splashes, others like Virex have a single pixel splash. MS Office has all its splashes removed.. golly it loads fast without them! I have changed bits here, bits there to suit myself with absolutely no knowledge of how that will make me come unstuck until it happens. Then I have to back out of that corner, see why that happened, see if I can do anything about it, see whether I want to bother trying that particular hack or not... It is and has been all a learning process not really going anywhere with any purpose just seeing what makes these things tick and whether I can change defaults to suit my tastes or whether I want it at all. .<br>Maybe I will get a life and a job and go back to just using a database application and a word processor but I doubt I could ever live that simply... I would always be saying "I wonder if ResEdit can change that..." <br><br>..
Posted by: johnengler

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 08:11 PM

I like the entire AB series... especially ABFC&T to get all of those files into BBEdit or iTunes documents... and ABFR to rename them when needed.... <br><br>I also like having my hierachy of files listed in a folder in the Apple Menu, so that I can get to them quickly...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 08:41 PM

My must-have tip - BeHierarchic. It is awesome, organises your Apple menu. Well worth the money, and then some. Its just about the only 3rd party system enhancer I use...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 08:42 PM

Oh, and, USBOverdrive if you use USB mice. The ultimate USB driver... it rocks. Set your mouse to the fastest speed...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 08:58 PM

For me at work most of all i could not live with out ResEdit i spend about a hour of my day just fixing students Flietype and Ceator problems uuurghh Quark and Indesign are the biggest problem!!!<br><br>And at home since i only use X on my macs I would have to say Snard its a dockling that acts like a launcher keeping you dock nice and clean....<br><br>Oni<br><br><br><br>this is my signature do you like it?

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 09:09 PM

yep Be Heirachic is one of those In my 51 control panels<br>but I would have to say that Default Folder and Sleeper which apart from GoMac and Finder Pop were my first purchases. These two fine apps from StClair are must haves.<br>Extension Strip and DragThing are also must haves, well at least one or the other.<br>I have USB overdrive somewhere but haven't bothered to install it yet<br><br>..
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 11:00 PM

Agree about both BeHierarchic and USB Overdrive. I just wish that Overdrive were available for X. Alessandro Levi, who wrote the app, says it's forthcoming, so I'm hopeful.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MUST have! - 06/02/01 11:02 PM

IMO, USB Overdrive is sort of pointless, for Mice at least...<br><br>If the company that makes your mouse can't write their own drivers, then it's probably a bad mouse... MS's Intellimouse Explorer control panel is great....<br><br>Also, Behierarchic is good, but last time I used it, it had some incompatabilities with some software I was using... so I started making my own aliases, and organizing the folders the way I wanted them... too bad I guess....<br><br>Oh, and yes, St. Clair's software is tops...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 05:16 AM

I use Apples mice for normal use... and the driver doesn't allow for max mouse speed... I use the fastest setting USBO has.<br><br>And a company can make great mice and very crappy drivers...<br><br>USBO is great.<br><br>And yes, how could I forget, ResEdit... my personal all time favourite application :)<br> <br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 05:55 AM

do you remember which software you had incompatabilities with Be Heirachic? as well it would be good to know and may help me understand things...better<br><br>oh and for those who love ResEdit.. Resorcerer does do things better when you use it a bit.<br>although the ResEdit and Vanishing Cream combo has done so much for me.. and like an old coat... can't leave it in the closet. <br><br>..
Posted by: scaught

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 07:59 AM

i think logitech mice are just as good as the microsoft ones (i had a logitech optical wheel mouse for a while), but the drivers are sucky and the wheel wouldnt work with certain programs and would do all sorts of weird things. with USBOverdrive it was all better. <br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 10:50 AM

You're probably right, John, but on the other hand I have the Logitech mouse and although its drivers are abysmal, with Overdrive the mouse works very nicely. Logitech doesn't have X drivers either, by the way.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 11:25 AM

TreeBeard.... It was years ago, under System 8.0 or maybe even 7.x<br><br>I couldn't begin to remember... I just haven't looked back since.... (also, I like to run as "clean" as system as I can, so the move was more aligned with my preference of having as few Control Panels as possible)<br><br>thanks for the offer to help though ;)<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 11:26 AM

Cipher... I hadn't though of using USBO with Apple's Mice... I might just try that... thanks for the idea.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 11:29 AM

yoyo... hence, bad drivers mean that I won't bu the mouse... why sell something when you're telling your customers that you're not committed to making their lives better... Better yet, why should I buy Logitech's products when they have products on the shelf that aren't fully supported...<br><br>At least M$'s MBU does a good job of supporting and trying to fix their software issues and making their software work well... (I love Entourage, IE, Office, and yes, even Age of Empires was a great game on the Mac)<br><br>hehe... let's not make this a MS thread... sorry to start to do that.<br><br>On the same note, my Brother MFC (printer, fax, scanner, copier) has terrible drivers, and thus I'll never buy another Brother printer again... <br><br><br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 03:58 PM

Oh I'm not denying you're right, just saying that I've got the Logitech mouse and need to be able to use it. I'm not dead against M$, by the way, although they are, of course, evil <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MUST have! - 06/03/01 06:50 PM

And of course everyone should know that the MS IntelliMouse control panel was written by none other than Alessandro Levi (USBO)...<br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/04/01 01:38 AM

Hm... I like Super ResEdit sooo much more than ResEdit... maybe cause I've been using ResEdit for so long, but I just really dislike Resourcer...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/04/01 04:55 AM

Misha, really? Damn... I didn't know that... he's a class act that Alessandro... I think I'll tell him right now via email...<br><br><br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: NeilMac

Re: MUST have! - 06/05/01 01:59 PM

Hi yoyo<br><br>M$ evil, surely not! I don't have any M$ stuff of any description so I went for a MacAlly iOptimouse (good deal at the time in the UK -- something that can be problem in these fair Isles). Driver works fine except only works in the Quark menu windows, or whatever they're called, not the main window! You'd think some one would try something like this in all the main Mac apps before unleashing it on the user.<br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/05/01 09:16 PM

Look, I've corresponded with a few of the MS MBU engineers, and those guys are a class act. They've always been helpful, and most of the project manager lurk on the many MS mailing lists out there... and try to help out as much as possible... much more than I can say for a lot of software development companies... so, is M$ evil? not my bag baby... is the Mac BU evil? I'd have to say HELL NO to that question....<br><br><br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: MUST have! - 06/06/01 10:03 PM

I don't think M$ is evil either--hence the in my post. I do think that M$, like any corporation, is interested primarily in making bucks. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. Apple wants to do the same thing, after all, but M$ jus does it more efficiently. On the other hand, sometimes those on whom efficiency happens feel it as ruthlessness more than anything else. Well, them's the breaks.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MUST have! - 06/23/01 12:02 PM

I had to use usb overdrive on my new ibook because the fastest setting for the stock mouse driver was not even close to what I find useable. USB overdrive brought it up to speed quite nicely.<br><br><br>

Re: MUST have! - 06/24/01 12:23 AM

I'll second that...<br>I run it at "Fast 100". Hate it any other way...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>
Posted by: Alex

Re: MUST have! - 06/24/01 09:58 PM

When it comes to system enhancements, ACTION Files and ACTION GoMac are my top 2 cannot-survive-withouts. Power Windows is also up there; then probably Tiger Technologies' Menuette (cute, plus I like the Window menu) and Window Monkey. Oh, and Prestissimo (set-and-forget, nice and simple). And ABFCT/ABFR. And last but not least, Mickey Hand (colour hand cursor)... and NoAliasBadge (to get rid of those STUPID Windows alias arrows).<br><br>Oh yeah - and while I think of it, PAY FOR SHAREWARE IF YOU LIKE IT!! I do... it's good for you, good for the author, good for the environment... everyone wins!

Re: MUST have! - 06/24/01 10:46 PM

well since I first bought GoMac anmd Default Folder as one package bulk deal...when GoMac was at version 1.4 no I think it was 1.3.1... I'd have to go look...Anyway the result was that when Action Files came along I was never going to give up Default Folder just to install it so I stayed the way I was.. except of course I had to go up to "Action GoMac".<br>Yes I not only use "Alias icon killer" on my system icons but I vett EVERY new Kaleidoscope scheme I investigate with "Alias icon killer" and before you ask... NOPE .."NoAliasBadge" never ever worked for me..<br>my other fave is Extension Strip .. could not do without it, can't stand using control strip. <br><br>=============================================================<br>| "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." |<br>=============================================================