Water cooled Processor

Posted by: modyourmac

Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 01:01 AM

dunno how many people have seen them, or if anyone's really that interested. But if there's desire, I snapped off several good photos of the water cooled dual 2.5 Ghz processor assembly at work today. those who wanna see, post here and lemme know. I'll throw up the photos smile
Posted by: JavaDog

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 01:09 AM

Sure, post them up! Who is making waterblocks for the G5s?

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 01:59 AM

Ask and you shall receive! Actually, Apple is making water cooled processor setups. The dual 2.5Ghz G5s, the high end biatches lost their usual heat sinks. The were replaced with a radiator, two water fed cooling blocks, and a fluid pump to drive the whole assembly. Its some pretty tight engineering. All solid metal with vulcanized rubber fittings. they built the thing to last! Here's the photos!

Post edited by: modyourmac, at: 2004/09/22 09:00

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 02:04 AM

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 02:06 AM

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 02:07 AM

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 02:08 AM

Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 02:17 AM

thats the first time that I have seen the radiator up close. That does look as if it was built to last, no kidding. I guess when you have a 2 G5s that put out as much heat as the 2.5s do, you will need this kind of cooling. I am glad that apple released this technology. Now, the megahertz gap between pcs and macs is basically no longer an argument. Everyone knows that sys bus and other measurements are where the speed enhancements will be coming for a while, and apple is ontop there! laugh

Re:Water cooled Processor - 09/22/04 02:25 AM

Well, the whole Mhz thing was really clever marketing because Motorola couldnt produce at the speeds apple wanted at the time. Now, as for sheer awesomeness, apple wins. How many other players are shipping a dual 2.5 Ghz watercooled machine as a standard item? nobody, thats who smile

Of course, the safety precautions are impressive too. I'm supposed to wear rubber gloves when handling anything with fluid on it, should the assembly leak. I should wipe up any spilled fluid with paper towels or rags and then dispose of them according to local ordinances, and replace anything that got coolant on it. Chances are its mostly water and antifreeze, but who knows what else is in that crap. With my luck, it'll make me sterile or something equally screwed up. wink
Posted by: maggot

Re:Water cooled Processor - 02/02/05 02:33 AM

Can you give me hints to how to take apart your Power Mac G5?

Also is it safe to operate with the case on it's side?

I am trying to rackmount my G5 and would like to have it position on its side rather than
standing. Apple manual recommends to operate w/ the case standing upright.

Thanks