You know what I said...

Posted by: Silver_Moon

You know what I said... - 11/06/09 02:23 PM

... About The Sims? Well I'm having problems with it now. Sims 3. Watch this video on youtube and read the description. It's irritating because I'd wanted 3 for so long. mad No this isn't on a Mac. frown

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05t6eLwUXs[/video]
Posted by: Jim_

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 02:46 PM

What comes to mind is you may need a video card update, sound card update, or an update for Sims 3.

Maybe the computer isn't powerful enough to keep up.

Or it's because you're on Windows. smirk

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 02:47 PM

aww man this thread has been moved! frown

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
What comes to mind is you may need a video card update, sound card update, or an update for Sims 3.

Maybe the computer isn't powerful enough to keep up.

Or it's because you're on Windows. smirk
Did you read the description? Just asking. Sims 3 has all the latest patches. and it only does that sound thingy when recording.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:01 PM

Yeah, I did read it, that's why I asked the questions. The video and sound drivers are probably used for recording. Also because of the most important thing though, is the PC powerful enough?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:06 PM

Yeah, I did read it, that's why I asked the questions. The video and sound drivers are probably used for recording. Also because of the most important thing though, is the PC powerful enough?
Yes...

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:08 PM

The video and sound drivers are up to date? Do you know how to do that on the PC, and are you allowed?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:10 PM

The video is, dunno about the sound. and yes, I'm allowed.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: PChaterosx
aww man this thread has been moved!
I'm the donkey that did it. laugh It's about help with a Game so I moved it to the Games forum. Not like the one in the Lounge when you were sharing the fact that you played Sims waaayyyy too much. grin That was just chit-chat.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:13 PM

Cool, check the sound driver then.

Have you tried to make sure that Sims 3 is the only program running at the time? Reboot the computer and then launch only Sims.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:14 PM

oh ok.
9with added emphasis on waaayyyy) grin But the main problem that I want to fix is the create a Sim black screen. We can worry about the rest later.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:15 PM

Have you tried to make sure that Sims 3 is the only program running at the time? Reboot the computer and then launch only Sims.
Yes.

(he heh, Reboot. ) laugh

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:52 PM

Yes.

(he heh, Reboot. ) laugh
That's the nice thing about new people, they laugh at that joke. All the rest here are tired of it after 10 years. laugh

In regards to your problem, I'm kind of at a loss then if everything is up to date and the machine is fast enough. The effects you're getting are similar to if I'm processing video like in Toast and doing something else that is processor intensive is why I asked.

Or it's a bug in the program specific to your hardware/software setup. Is their Support any help? They may have seen this.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 03:55 PM

No. They won't help. They keep saying send the game back but I KNOW it's not that! frown

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 05:49 PM

There HAS to be something! Shutting down processes?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 06:14 PM

There HAS to be something! Shutting down processes?
Possibly, but is your machine right on the edge of specs, what machine is it exactly, what are the specs. RAM, processor, graphics card, Vista or XP, HD space left.

Look in Task Manager, anything taking a lot of CPU?

Virus sucking down CPU cycles?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 06:55 PM

I Don't know! I don't know enough about windoze! I just know how to use it and preform basic maintinence tasks. all I know is that you CAN shut them down, not HOW! frown and All I really know about this Dell is that it's an Inspiron 6000 Has XP, and it looks like this.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 07:26 PM

You don't meet the specs for Sims 3 in a lot of ways.

Needed;

FOR WINDOWS XP
2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1 GB RAM
At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

Yours;

1.6 GHz Intel Pentium M 730 (Sonoma), 533MHz FSB and PCIe x16 chipset
512 MB DDR2 400 MHz ram
64 MB ATi Mobility Radeon X300 video

Your Pentium M is a P4 made low power for a laptop, and runs a bit slower than a P4 at the same speed, and your video is lacking. I don't know about the Pixel Shader 2.0 thing but it's still too small in video RAM.

That is probably why they said to send the gane back if you told them which machine you have.

Sorry about that.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 07:49 PM

It's a centrino! It was a BTO PC! it's different! and those specs don't really count because it's been proven that it works in PCs with lower specs.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 08:04 PM

Go to Control Panel/System. The first window will give you processor speed and RAM. The Hardware tab/Device Manager will get you to the Display adapter properties.

The Sims 2 had much lower specs so it probably ran fine.

If Sims 3 has been proven to work on lower specs then you need to go to where it was proven and ask around as to what they did to get it working because it's beyond me. Sorry.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 08:13 PM

They said it just worked. They did nothing.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 08:38 PM

Other than lowering your settings I don't know. Try with them at the lowest and work your way up.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 08:46 PM

Like turning reflections off?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 08:50 PM

Everything down, and work your way up, starting with detail maybe to make it look better.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 08:51 PM

ok.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/06/09 09:09 PM

Give me some specs too, just curious, how much RAM and processor speed.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 08:41 AM

I can't find it in the control panel. frown

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 09:17 AM

If the Control Panel is in Classic view go to Control Panel/System. If the Control Panel is in category view go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance. The System icon is on the bottom right.

The first window will give you processor speed and RAM. The Hardware tab/Device Manager will get you to the Display adapter properties.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 09:34 AM

ok, now what?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 09:51 AM

What is the processor speed and RAM?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 09:54 AM

(Info: It's been proven to work on a 1.4 gHz P4 with 512 MB RAM)

1.5 gHz Pentium M
512 MB (W/ Virtual Memory up to 1 GB)

It should work, because of what's been proven, so I KNOW it's powerful enough.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 10:06 AM

(Info: It's been proven to work on a 1.4 gHz P4 with 512 MB RAM)

1.5 gHz Pentium M
512 MB (W/ Virtual Memory up to 1 GB)

It should work, because of what's been proven, so I KNOW it's powerful enough.
You don't know if they had their settings low or high, like I mentioned above. You're way below system specs, especially on the RAM. My guess is the video card is not up to speed either in that old of a machine.

Have you tried what I suggested above, setting everything to low and seeing if the music syncs correctly? If it does your machine isn't fast enough to run with everything set to high.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 10:08 AM

Let me see what the Video card is. but what about the create a sim black screen?

EDIT: It's an ATI Mobility Radeon X300

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 10:47 AM

Go to Display/Settings tab/Advanced button/Adapter tab. How much video RAM. Displays will be under Appearances and themes in category view. If it's less that 128 M that's another thing that is not powerful enough.

Try what I suggested with the settings. I'm heading outside to play in the leaves for a while.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 10:50 AM

but what about the create a sim black screen?
Locking up due to lack of memory maybe.

Click on My Computer, right click on the C drive for Properties. How much free space on the HD?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 11:19 AM

25.4 GB

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 11:22 AM

Go to Display/Settings tab/Advanced button/Adapter tab. How much video RAM. Displays will be under Appearances and themes in category view. If it's less that 128 M that's another thing that is not powerful enough.

Try what I suggested with the settings. I'm heading outside to play in the leaves for a while.
128MB

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 02:26 PM

The Centrino is faster than a P4 at the same speed so that's probably fast enough. I'm wondering if the CPU is running in low power mode especially if you're on battery. I don't know how to check that though, I don't have a laptop, you'll have to Google that. It's probably somewhere in Performance and Maintenance Control Panels.

If that checks out it has to be the low RAM from what I've been reading. You're running anti virus software, anti spyware and who knows what else is running at startup too. 512 is just not enough to run it all at full tilt. Here's one that fixed it with more RAM. I've yet to run across anybody saying it ran fine on low specs.

Here's a site that says that laptops need even more RAM to run it.

Here's a site that will run the specs on your computer to see if it can run it.

Try the settings I suggested too. I hate to say it but I think you need more RAM.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 02:36 PM

How do I shut all of that extra stuff down?

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 06:25 PM

I would have to be in front of the machine and see what you have installed.

You can use msconfig to turn off startup items and Task Manager to turn off running processes once it starts up. Google msconfig, then Google task manager. It's too involved for me to walk you through, plus you need to read up on it first so you can also learn how to back out of anything. If you can't get what it does you shouldn't be doing it, especially on a computer others need to use. Beware, you can screw up your computer if you don't read up on it first. Also I don't recommend disabling your anti virus software if you connect to the internet, but I know that's causing a big hit. I really wish there was more I could do.

Even after turning off all unneeded processes, I bet you'd still have problems with only 512 RAM.

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 06:29 PM

there IS no antivirus!

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 06:30 PM

Just looked at task manager, Scary stuff. all this stuff with all these numbers... shocked

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 06:31 PM

there IS no antivirus!
wait, yeah there is! duh.
Posted by: Lea

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 06:59 PM

Yo, girl. You're getting the best advice that can be had. I know how hard it can be to face the limitations of a system. But sometimes, it just is what it is.

I completely admire your spirit and smarts. Me at your age? Mmm, OK, I could pop the hood of a car, load a 22 and bait a hook. But ~ My compliments are totally intended. My advice? Knowing that it's unsolicited ~ Stop. Breathe. Listen.

You can't break every horse, and that's really OK. Promise.

LL

Re: You know what I said... - 11/07/09 07:30 PM

Uhhh... ok? confused