I might go back to Leopard (10.5)

Posted by: John Rougeux

I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 03:30 AM

If this wonkiness with the finder keeps up, I'm going back to 10.5 Starting last night, my mouse is not acting right. It keeps moving over my desktop. If it's at the top right of the screen and I move it just a little bit, it'll skip down to the lower middle or wherever...I have to move the mouse again to find it.

First though, I'll do a clean install (if it's possible with the 10.6 disk I got for $29) and see if that clears things up.

If not, then I'll wipe and reinstall 10.5 and wait until 10.6 gets it's act together.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 06:20 AM

Still, not a single problem on two computers here.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 06:32 AM

I don't know if it's the OS or the hardware, so this way I can at least possibly narrow it down.

I'm wondering if it's hardware because my firewire CF card won't mount until I plug/unplug it several times. It'll mount on the 1st time at school on their macs.

My usb hard drives keep disconnecting unexpectedly from the desktop.

And the finder just sometimes becomes unresponsive when I either stick a DVD/CD in the drive, or mount something (either from an installer or external connection).

So that's why I'm going to do this. Just need to make sure things are backed up first!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 10:08 AM

You're having a lot of I/O problems, odd. Try a Clean install of 10.6 first. The disc you have will do it BTW.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 12:17 PM

Ugh! Arrrrrrrgh!

I just ordered SL from Amazon and it is on its way to my PO box.

I guess I'll just put it on a shelf for a while smile

Posted by: polymerase

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: starmillway

Ugh! Arrrrrrrgh!

I just ordered SL from Amazon and it is on its way to my PO box.

I guess I'll just put it on a shelf for a while smile

Just load the disk and click install. You will enjoy the speed boast. They likely half sold more than a million. A small percentage will screw up the install. WE will have to get used to this as Macintosh popularity increases. The screw ups will be measured in the tens maybe even hundreds.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 12:39 PM

Even if you screw it up, you can go back and unscrew it. laugh
Posted by: starmillway

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 01:01 PM

okay

smile

Posted by: Swatcat

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 03:38 PM

I did two clean installs starting off with Leopard added my third party apps then ran Snow Leopard .
Both times things ran smooth for a day then Finder crashes freezing on start up and shutdown if the computer went to sleep it would shut down the power button would not start the computer up I had to unplug the computer from the wall socket then plug it back in then the power button would work.
I took my iMac to the Apple Store twice and I was without it for 12 firkin days Apple said there was nothing wrong.
All they did was yank my chain.
On the second trip they replace the power supply and cable and said everything is perfect.
I took it home it ran fine until I started it up in the morning it F'in froze,restarted the finder crashed,reset the SMC for the millionth time and the next restart it froze as the dock was loading.
USB problems as soon as I put my 3GS in the dock the mac would freeze.
Firewire three firewire drives chained no problems loading sometimes the disks would take two minutes to eject.
Photoshop adding text to a jpg the mac would log out of my user account then log back in.
Freezes using Disk Utility.
No problems with airport very strong connection.
Printer sharing,file sharing worked Ok.
I do a lot of video rendering no problems.
Time Machine worked very well in Snow Leopard
There are a lot of other bugs in Snow Leopard I will not go into.

So I reformatted again doing a clean install this time Leopard only and Guess What ?
Everything works as it should.
I booted into Snow Leopard last evening for two minutes the Finder Crashed and booted back to Leopard and will continue to stay until Apple gets it's S_it Together

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 04:20 PM

And I still have had absolutely no problems either on my 2.0 GHz Mini (refurbed model - two generations ago) nor my wife's refurbed 1.66 GHz Mini.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 06:34 PM

Check this out. Now my 2 external drives show up as folders AND as icons.

Here they are all together:

This is when the icons for the external USB HD's disappear

I don't know what's going on, but I haven't been this frustrated with an OS since I left work!

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/02/09 06:51 PM

It seems like it's more than just user level, but does it do it for any users?

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 03:50 AM

I only have 1 account set up. Let me create a new one and try that.

Came down this morning and the iMac appeared to be off. Moved mouse, hit keys on keyboard, even pushed in power button for a second to wake it. Nothing.

So I held in the power button and I heard it shut off. Push it in again and it started back up.

Oh, and I plugged back in my firewire HD that I use as Time Machine and it mounted just fine and isn't giving me the grief the USB ones are.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 04:06 AM

Well, created a new account, logged out and into the other one. Same prblems as before (mouse, harddrives ejecting) almost immediately. Logged back out and now I'm staring at a blue screen. Log in screen JUST now came on after about 5 minutes of ablank screen

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 05:14 AM

You know what you gotta' do now. cry

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 05:40 AM

I stuck the 10.6 install DVD in and reinstalled it (I'm at work now). I didn't see an option to do a clean install.

There was a Customize where you chose what to install, but I didn't see the other options. I'll check when I get home.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 06:24 AM

I was under the impression you had to do a clean install from Disc Utility on the SL DVD.
(Too early to look it up, not enough coffee yet)

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 07:02 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out when I go home for lunch. My wife called and asked what was up with my computer. Apparently the desktop is up but there is the spinning beachball.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 07:03 AM

I'd have opted for a pass through DW first.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 07:05 AM

I don't have DiskWarrior to do that with, so that option was out. For me, the quickest and easiest option is to do a clean install first. If it continues after that, then the Apple Hardware test, if I have that.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 03:09 PM

Couldn't find that option. But I did do a disk permissions and this is what it came up with:

Permissions differ on "private/etc/postfix/Main.cf.default" should be -rw-r--r--, they are -r--r--r--

Warning. SUID file "System/library/CoreServices/Remote Management/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/03/09 07:09 PM

Upgraded two MacBook Pros, a MacPro and a Mac mini with no problems. However, I did have that jumpy mouse problem a year or so back in Leopard. It turned out to be a bad mouse driver (Logitech or Kensington, I forgot which). The mouse driver uninstaller didn't actually remove a .kext file from the system. Once I manually deleted it, the problem went away.

But that wouldn't explain your disc mounting problems - at least, I wouldn't think it would.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/04/09 03:19 AM

I'm using a mighty mouse, I know..one of your favorites. laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/04/09 04:59 PM

Only problem I've had with SL is losing the wireless connection at work. I don't lose it at home. However, at work, I'm sure their wireless router needs a firmware update or something, because it keeps dropping the signal. I lose the signal on my iPhone, as well, so it's a problem with their router.

BUT, with the original version of Leopard, when the signal dropped, it would pick it right back up again. Now I need to either shut my Airport card off and turn it on again, or else log out and log back in again to pick it back up.

Of course, it's a secure, invisible, stealth type of wireless network that requires my MAC address to be entered into their server, even if I know the password and hex code and all that stuff. You can't see it at all as being available.

Otherwise, no issues with SL, except that ImageWell doesn't work with it and I'll have to upgrade to a newer version of it, and my ancient version of Microsoft Office PowerPoint doesn't work with it. Oh, and my ancient version of iWork doesn't work with it. I have to use NeoOffice, which works just fine. Adobe apps are playing nice, as are all the other apps.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/04/09 05:00 PM

John, you don't have a cell phone near the Mac when these problems are happening by any chance? I've seen problems with my mouse when my cell phone is near it.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/04/09 05:45 PM

I usually always have my iPhone with me, so yeah, there is one by it.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/04/09 05:52 PM

Try moving the phone away from the mouse before reformatting, unless it's already too late. I'm working on my final exam in economics right now. Back to it!
Posted by: lanovami

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/05/09 11:07 AM

I can't say I wish problems on anyone with SL, but I feel less alone to know some people are having issues. As a refresher, I did a clean install (with disk utility) of SL and skipped straight to SL from Tiger.

I had the "won't wake up from an off-like sleep thing, and won't restart unless I unplug it" problem twice, but it hasn't resurfaced again even though I don't believe I did anything to fix it. The funky trash problem also did not resurface after I was advised to do a disk repair. My newest problem is a lot smaller thankfully. The function keys simply stop functioning after a few days. All I get is a that "you are pushing a key in futility" appearance sound that OSX always plays in those situations. Logging in and out fixes it. Any suggestions?

One extra thing, SL is supposed to be faster, but I don't see it. Any number of operations take longer than they did before. Admittedly, my computer is not the newest - 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1 GB of Ram. Is that slow these days? Either way things are definitely slower with than Tiger, though I don't have a Leopard experience to compare to.

Anyway, hope you are all doing well out there. It is 4:06 am and the turtle's tank needs a-washin'.
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/05/09 02:17 PM

Just remember this is brought to you by LEOPARD !
http://homepage.mac.com/edwardhinton/.Movies/SL.MP4
Posted by: Silver_Moon

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/05/09 02:22 PM

LOL! laugh

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/05/09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
It is 4:06 am and the turtle's tank needs a-washin'.
Never heard it called cleaning the turtle tank. grin
Posted by: carp

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/05/09 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
It is 4:06 am and the turtle's tank needs a-washin'.
Never heard it called cleaning the turtle tank. grin

I think PCers call it cleaning the Slug Tank laugh

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/06/09 02:42 PM

Ha!

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/06/09 03:46 PM

Just watched that SL "tribute" video Swatcat. Funny stuff! Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong...

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 12:51 PM

So no one else is having problems with their function keys losing "function" after a day or so of being logged in (logging in and out fixes it). I thought my Finderpop (the best 3rd party little app in the Maciverse) was the problem but it happens with or without it on..
Posted by: carp

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 01:28 PM

So no one else is having problems with their function keys losing "function" after a day or so of being logged in (logging in and out fixes it). I thought my Finderpop (the best 3rd party little app in the Maciverse) was the problem but it happens with or without it on..

Humm

I maybe wrong but I don't think it needs to be turned on to inflict pain on ya ? It just needs to be there to instill conflicts .

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 02:07 PM

Nope, my Function keys seem to work. Is there anything in particular that doesn't work or is it all of them? (Brightness, Dashboard, etc)

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 02:20 PM

I'd go along with carp, uninstall FP to be sure.

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 02:23 PM

I can confirm no function key problems for me either. Just bought my wife a new aluminum kb on Saturday. Works just fine with her 1.66 GHz Mini with 10.6.2.
Posted by: trey

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 08:04 PM

I thought my Finderpop (the best 3rd party little app in the Maciverse)

Wow, thanks for the reminder about Finderpop. It's been awhile since I've tried it for OS X, and I see that it's matured a bit since then. I'm gonna' have to give it another shot. I considered myself quite a FinderPop power user back in the OS 9 days. cool
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 08:18 PM

I never used FiderPop in 8 or 9, but I just downloaded it and read the guide, and wonder how necessary it is in the OS X environment. I see it would've been very neat in pre-X systems. Have you started using it again, trey? Is it all it used to be?
Posted by: trey

Re: I might go back to Leopard (10.5) - 11/16/09 08:26 PM

Well, I just installed it like twenty minutes ago, so I'll take it for a spin and let you know. I rely heavily on QuickSilver, and only go to the mouse if I really have to, so it might be a bit cumbersome. But I'm willing to give it a shot, and I definitely owe Turley a pint either way.