You Gotta Check This Out

Posted by: Anonymous

You Gotta Check This Out - 01/01/02 01:24 AM

Apple<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/01/02 09:01 AM

Wish I could, but for some reason I can't get on any of the Apple sites--and my Mac.com account isn't functioning at this point. I hope they fix the problem soon!<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/01/02 10:56 AM

Finally got on the Apple page and saw the message. Good grief--can I get a ticket to MWSF now? I know it's a long walk from PA, but what the heck <br><br>Unfortunately, mac.com is still down--no email. The Apple Support page is down as well, as is the iTools page. But I guess someone's working on it, since earlier I couldn't get even to plain old apple.com<br><br>edit: just went to the Apple Store, and got this message:<br><br>We are busy updating the store for you and will be back within the hour.<br><br>Wonder what's cooking.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 01/01/02 01:58 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/01/02 11:25 AM

yoyo52<br><br>This particular grandfather has been napping and now notice my mac.com email accounts fill the error log of Entourage to the brim.<br><br>(The delights of spending much of New Year's Eve with one's four grandchildren can also result in a condition commonly referred to as exhaustion.)<br><br>I see what you mean about all of apple.com. I tried macdev for heck of it and it is no go. apple/support is up. store and iTools are still down.<br><br>Isn't that message at main apple.com interesting? Apple usually doesn't try to stir up the troops in that manner, i.e., with extravagant promises before a MW Expo.<br><br>By next Monday all the regulars of the mac rumor sites should be drooling, or, should I say, foaming at the mouth? <br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/01/02 11:56 AM

I noticed that my little doohicky-image-avatar came up as I was reading your post, so I suspect iDisk is up. I tried getting onto iTools, and couldn't, though.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/01/02 01:08 PM

Looks like mac.com came back up in part around 3:30 PM EST. But it's off and on again. Entourage X sometimes successfully checks or retrieves email, sometimes returns errors.<br><br>Most of apple.com seems to finally be up.<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/02/02 03:19 AM

I think the information I linked to above will get the troops all lathered up (even more than usual) and the counters on the rumor sites are going to ring like crazy giving their webmasters something to pitch to banner adv. people in the future. <br><br>But the rumor sites won't have any more accurate idea of what will happen Jan. 6 than they usually do. It should flesh out a few of the less popular rumors, however, sort of stir the pot if you will.<br><br>Let me add mine: Mr. Jobs will announce the merger (acquisition actually) with Microsoft and will announce that Mr. Bill Gates is coming out of retirement and will head up software engineering for Apple.<br><br>I, 128k_Mac, will then be introduced by Mr. Jobs as the new C.E.O. I will announce that Mr. Jobs is retiring, but in return for his expertise in acquiring Microsoft for less than a penny on the dollar, he will be given a retirement gift, a 10k plated gold watch, and the right to terminate Mr. Gates from his new position.<br><br>That's really all Mr. Jobs ever wanted in life.<br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/02/02 07:00 AM

I hate to disagree with Stan Flack on MacMinute, but today's (1/2/02) apple.com page is the third, not the second hype message.<br><br>I may have stated it elsewhere incorrectly in this thread, but the first one was up on the 31st, then the 1st, then today, the 2nd.<br><br>Whatever.<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/02/02 10:51 AM

I love today's "Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond." message. Over at the AppleInsider forums people are soiling themselves.<br><br>I usually resist the pre-MW hype, but I can't wait for this one. I'm going to try to get into the Apple retail store here to watch.<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/02/02 05:13 PM

heh... I'm just suprised that the AppleInsider forums are up....<br><br>heh...<br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/02/02 06:16 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Over at the AppleInsider forums people are soiling themselves.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Love it!<br><br>I may have to steal another one from you CaseCom. <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/03/02 09:02 AM

Now it reads, "It's like a backstage pass to the future." Maybe we'll see the first version of a warp drive? <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/03/02 09:05 AM

Or taking it litteraly a time machine ;-)<br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/03/02 11:47 AM

Noticed the change. Will be interested to see what their advertising people come up with next. <br><br>I personally like the new approach, sort of a out rumor the rumor sites tactic. I notice there are a lot of fires burning.<br><br>But I tend to agree more with MacGuru's idea than merely a warp drive.<br><br>I'm guessing a time machine with a large capacity , say 100 Windoze users, and will be set by default to take them back to 1435. Reusuable. Desktop, not portable, though.<br><br>Was 1435 one of the years of the Black Death? <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/03/02 04:18 PM

If it's for Mac users, it would take you back to January 1, 1904 -- until you replace the battery, that is.<br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/03/02 05:34 PM

C'mon, CaseCom, you need to have more imagination than that!<br><br>But let's assume there are such temporal limits as batteries in the new iTime MacMachine.<br><br>What would be the limit into the future a time voyager could take?<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/03/02 09:50 PM

I like the time machine idea, but we all know what a temporal discontinuity could do--next thing you know, the whole universe would function like windozes <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 12:16 AM

Well if you take todays litteraly: "To go where no PC has gone before", it could just be a Mac with a warp drive wink (star trek reference) Or maybe including yesterdays ideas a Time machine Mac with a warp Drive.<br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 02:38 AM

Definitely an iTime MacMachine. None of this gibberish about a temporal discontinuity resulting in a world which functions (oxymoron?) like windoze.<br><br>Clearly out of this world with the Star Trek allusion. If there's a Star Trek metaphor Saturday that will cinch it. <br><br>(Beats the heck out of a mundane iWalk anyday!) <br><br>iWalk<br><br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous
Posted by: siletz

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 06:33 AM

For some reason the name P.T. Barnum comes to mind.<br><br>Bondi "B" Maxed out

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 06:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>For some reason the name P.T. Barnum comes to mind.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>He's dead. King of the snake oil salesmen is S. Jobs.<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 12:21 PM

Wow, 4 anonymous users and me!<br><br>For those interested in the real advance details of the Keynote I recommend this link. <br><br>(How long am I going to be stuck at being a "Jr. Member?" I have over 200 posts, trailing yoyo52 by a mere 80, and catching up fast. Yet he is an honored "member" and I am a mere "junior" in the world's eyes.) :rolleyes:<br><br>(Good grief! Now there are siletz, myself and seven anon users. Has word of our famous iTime MacMachine spread that far and wide?) <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 128K_Mac on 01/04/02 03:28 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 02:04 PM

The word has spread as it is obvious we are the only ones who know what we are talking about when it comes to new mac products at the expo ;)<br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 02:54 PM

Hey, i was a jr. member for donkeys years (at least months). But since rank has no privileges at all, this grasshopper learned to be patient--and lo and behold, rank was given unto me. And verily, as I look into the iTM (Apple's own ATM for time travel), I see you too will be exalted soon. So keep on postin'!<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 04:45 PM

[censored].com/" target="_blank">native and artificial of MacGuru and yoyo52, I can only bow to their obviously rich and brilliant wit.<br><br>iQuit<br><br>But don't forget to tune in Saturday and Sunday for the only rumors that count. <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 06:30 PM

The brilliant wit link is priceless. Thanks!<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 08:30 PM

Ain't search engines grand? <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 09:34 PM

So how [b]do[/] you open an .avi file? I've tried everything I've got, and it still won't work.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/04/02 10:24 PM

Seems to me I used to play or convert them in OS 9 with SoundApp. Just took a look and I don't see .avi as a supported format. <br><br>I have something called ConvertToQt located at http://homepage.mac.com/cgodefroy/macosxdev/index.html which converts divx .avi files (whatever "divx" means) to Quick Time and it's an OS X app.<br><br>You use ConvertToQT (if I understand my notes correctly, a questionable assumption....) with Avi2Mov and xxx something else to convert them to QT ???<br>(my note says: also see http://divx.jamby.net/. Quite frankly this looks like one of my "projects" gone astray. <br><br>Wait, a FAQ, this looks promising (?) at http://http:www.ferae.de/divosx/faq.html.<br>Maybe not. It says that an application called Avi2Mov converts AVI files to QT format, but QT Pro may be required. Avi2Mov is at the previously mentioned jamby.net URL apparently.<br><br>I think I'd grab this ConvertToQt and Avi2Mov and double click and drag and drop a few things and see what happens. <br><br>I have about two dozen old Beatles songs on my PC that play with something called AVIPlayer.exe (clever name). Why don't you play the .avi sounds, presumbably Nixon's, on your PC? That's where I have mine. <br><br>OTOH perhaps that's where ole Dick belongs, with Mr. Bill's best. <br><br>Good luck. :rolleyes:<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/05/02 12:49 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Clearly out of this world with the Star Trek allusion. If there's a Star Trek metaphor Saturday that will cinch it. <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Looks like this clinches it then:<br><br>"Full speed ahead: Lust Factor 10"<br><br>Definately some crazy warp drive equiped mac <br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/05/02 01:44 AM

No one ever claimed Steve Jobs was bashful. <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/05/02 08:39 AM

I tried that ConvertToQT and QT couldn't open the converted file <br><br>I can't use my PC, though, cause I seem to have misplaced it somehow <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/05/02 09:47 AM

I'm still trying to make sense out of my notes.<br><br>(a questionable idea at best) <br><br>Have you tried Avi2Mov with ConvertToQt? I can't figure out exactly what role it plays, but apparently the files are converted for it to play them (??). All three work together somehow.<br><br>I found two AVI files on my desktop Mac which I converted somehow to QT. They're sitting in a folder with several ReadMes (I created from that German and/or jamby.net link(s) in previous post.) There's also a FAQ (if you're into reading those) that I got somewhere.<br><br>OTOH your problem might be a missing codec if you don't have QT 5.x X Pro. There are several references to QT Pro (it appears they are to QT Pro 4.x) in the readmes I created.<br><br>Suggest you download that Avi2Mov app. It's on the jamby.net site (just checked), hidden over to the left side of screen. The source, a readme, and something else are with it. Can't tell where I got that FAQ (Germandy) URL but try poking around a little with that jamby.net site and the original download site for ConvertToQt (or any readmes enclosed)<br><br>The more I think about it (a questionable practice) I had to have both ConvertToQt and Avi2Mov. I had the items just mentioned (actually an alias for QT Pro X 5.x, ConvertToQt, and Avi2Mov all in the same folder) together and when I do that that normally means (another questionable comment) that I was playing drag/drop with all three on the desktop. (Also had an alias of OS9 ver. of SoundApp)<br><br>I have a habit of doing this with a new project. I just dump all the "tools" and the raw material on desktop along with readmes/docs then try (whatever) and see (what happens). When finished I scoop up the remnants in a folder and it usually gets buried 10 or 12 deep in a "stuff," "junk," or "whatzis" folder. <br><br>Sometimes (rarely actually) I document whatever happened in using the folder's contents. Didn't this time. All I know (yet again, a questionable comment) is I have two .avi files, one a Beatles song and the other Hemingway reading his Nobel Prize acceptance speech, that have creation dates of 1994 and double clicking them plays them.<br><br>Both files were modified/converted 12/01 which means they're old enough I've forgotten (a frequent occurrence) whatever I knew (oops, questionable again) about them in the first place. <br><br>Hmmm.....I can't remember what I played the two files with, QT Pro or Avi2Mov?? I've deep sixed them again and they be lost forever (not even Sherlock can find some of the stuff I "file" away).<br><br>Good luck. :rolleyes:<br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/05/02 09:56 AM

Just checked the "views" of this thread. Tis all time record for any one thread. <br><br>[color:red]What do I win?</font color=red> <br><br>Do Dah <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/05/02 10:28 AM

Here's a new rumor I haven't seen before.<br><br>In the future iTools will be based here. <br><br><br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Microsoft Windows or better' so I bought a Macintosh." :rolleyes:

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/06/02 01:07 PM

What, no excitement about the Just one more sleepless night, today's last attempt to play with your mind by Uncle Stevo.<br><br>Guess everyone not at Expo will be tuned in tomorrow.<br><br>For some reason that URL has changed slightly, although the one published earlier last week may also work.<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh. :rolleyes:

while you were sleeping... - 01/06/02 10:21 PM

<a href="http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=general&Number=3530&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=6&part=1&vc=1&o=31">the story got leaked</a><br><br>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/07/02 02:52 AM

Guess I lied about going back to sleep. <br><br>What in the world is every Mac webmaster on the 'net doing up at this hour trying to find links to the new Tower and iMac? iPicture? Take your pick of Mac sites.<br><br>Alternate links seem to be going up (and coming down) faster than you can count them. <br><br>It seems that the whole 'net is suddenly leaking like a sieve. So much for the "and one more thing"......sort of takes a good deal of the fun out of it.<br><br>Great fun I suppose, but there certainly will be a bit of an edge missing from the actual Keynote. Wonder if that Apple dealer in France is going to keep their franchise?<br><br>This is all really quite sad and hilarious, both at the same time.<br><br>Hmmm.....nine anonymous visitors to forum. Why don't you folks post something or are you just passing through to the next leak? <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 128K_Mac on 01/07/02 05:55 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/07/02 11:28 AM

Time to wind this thread down.<br><br>The slip up by Time magazine dampened the intro of the new iMacs and iPhoto, probably the highlights of the Keynote.<br><br>At least it did for me. While I'm unlikely to buy a new iMac myself I always enjoy the intro of a major new product. Such is life.<br><br>I would offer the opinion that the new iMac may be the most revolutionary design of a desktop computer since the 128k Mac in 1984.<br><br>It's more than a revolutionary design, however, because form follows function and it certainly has that. I'd upgrade to 1GB RAM, buy an external FireWire drive, say 120 or 150 GB, and enjoy life if I needed a new computer.<br><br>In my not so humble opinion the intro of new products lived up to the hoopla of the past week's homepage comments on apple.com. <br><br>The new iMac, with all the existing included software, plus iPhoto, and running OS X, is the first of many great innovations in desktop computers in this relatively new century.<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/11/02 02:07 PM

Anyone notice this topic is approaching 1,000 views? <br><br>I suspect it may die (unless I keep replying to myself). <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/11/02 08:35 PM

I've always thought that talking to myself makes it possible to have intelligent conversations without contradictions. But I guess writing to yourself trumps talking <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: You Gotta Check This Out - 01/11/02 09:06 PM

Had never thought of that before. <br><br>Will now be corresponding with myself endlessly....... <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>The box said "Requires Microsoft Windows or better" so I bought a Macintosh.