File Sharing Won't Start

Posted by: yoyo52

File Sharing Won't Start - 12/21/01 04:38 PM

My poor old iMac crashed this afternoon, and when I started it back up, File Sharing wouldn't come on. The poor little thing kept grinding away for a long while, until I finally aborted the start up.<br><br>I've trashed the File Sharing Preferences, did a clean install of 9.21, reuilt the desktop, ran DiskWarrior--all to no avail. Any suggestions?<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: File Sharing Won't Start - 12/21/01 08:45 PM

Well, I got it to start, finally, but I'm not sure that it was anything I did. It started after I ran TTP. The only "correction" that it performed was defragmenting the HD. Could a fragmented drive make it hard for file sharing to start up?<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: File Sharing Won't Start - 12/22/01 06:11 AM

Can't imagine fragmentation being related in any way.<br><br>Don't recall what your connection is. DSL and cable modems, along with all computers on the network (even if network consists of only one computer), seem to have a problem of some sort after a particularly hard crash.<br><br>ISP tech support and IS tech support often advise to shut down all computers (not just Macs) then turn off/disconnect power from modem, then power up modem and then all computers as would normally be done.<br><br>I have no idea why this works. It does for my DSL and I've read the same recommendation for cable modems. May also apply to ISDN (or other digital), but am unsure. Have never heard of it being needed for dialup which makes some sense.<br><br>OS9 is also a little flakey in terms of how the volume (System?) wrapper becomes functional ("experienced") and final installation of the driver is completed. The restart process itself actually completes the "installation," unlike earlier versions of the OS.<br><br>For whatever reason during the clean/full install (or major upgrade) of OS9.x there is a reasonable possibility that PRAM will be corrupted. Apple has never so stated but it's believed by some that this odd procedure of finalizing the install is done to force a restart to clear badly fragmented RAM. The only problem is that the process also, once in a while, also causes some problems with PRAM, sometimes minor and with various consequences.<br><br>The same problem can occur for similar reasons if an outdated version of an installer is used by a vendor. Epson is notorious for doing this will their driver installers and updates. They used a version of the Aladdin or Vise or other installer that's about two versions outdated.<br><br>I mention this because the results tend to be the same but the reason why the Apple installer may cause PRAM related problems is known only to Apple.<br><br>So the safe thing to do, especially if you know you're dealing with a major System update like printer drivers from Epson (which you have no way of knowing unless you "get info" on the installer, not a common practice by most users) or doing a clean/new install or major System update from Apple is: (1) Zap PRAM during the required restart (2) when the desktop is reached immediately restart to be certain RAM is cleared.<br><br>Many people have never considered doing this and had no problems. I have no idea how often it does cause problems but I know for a fact that it will avoid problems with Apple OS installs/updates and with old versions of installer software. I suspect this is the cause for the laments that are often posted on some forum stating that their hard drive was hosed or the many posts on Version Tracker, inevitably, along the same lines after running an Epson installer. Or the printer no longer works. Or, in your case, for some reason the Mac won't restart. Or some function, especially telecomm or networking, doesn't want to work.<br><br>By waiting until after you both zap PRAM and do the extra restart then the critical data telecom and networking have to have, if nothing more than the name of the Mac, is properly registered in PRAM, when each control panel is closed.<br><br>The problem is there's no simple or definitive explanation because your mileage may vary. But I consider it asking for trouble to do a clean install and required restart and then immediately start entering data into the OS' control panels. What could well have occurred is that you restarted, by way of example only, with the TTP CD and in doing so cleared RAM, the source of your problem with PRAM in no way involved.<br><br>But both problems are avoided using the simple method that takes a few minutes noted above. Ever had an OS9 new install where you had a screen freeze or bomb shortly after returning to the desktop after restart? That's relatively common and the cold boot or whatever is required usually solves the problem.<br><br>The danger lies in the major upgrade/update where this isn't followed. If the original OS9 is also badly fragmented that complicates it further. The result in a worst case scenario is a hard drive that's hosed. (This is a different issue of fragmentation than contemplated at beginning of this epistle.)<br><br>(These issues do not apply to Mac OS X. Theoretically they may apply to System 8 but in practice rarely occur.)<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous
Posted by: bdog

Re: File Sharing Won't Start - 12/22/01 10:11 AM

I once had a problem with this on my iBook, and I was going to let filesharing start up for 30 minutes, but after 5 minutes, it crashed my computer, and after the restart, it stars up in 3 seconds!!!<br><br>--------------------------<br>John Bailey ([color:red]Bdog</font color=red>)<br><br>Email Me! ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com