Dead Air: Invalid Node Structure; command line Qs

Posted by: Nagromme

Dead Air: Invalid Node Structure; command line Qs - 09/10/09 11:45 PM

Long story short: my Air crashed and won't boot (spinning grey wheel, then shuts back down). It seems I may need to reinstall the OS... so I've decided to just go for Snow Leopard.

Problem: the installation needs 5 GB free, and my HD is full!

I want to delete Unreal Tournament 2004. It's an app package 17GB in size.

Questions:

1. Should I boot up with Cmd-S or Cmd-V? (I think the machine and HD are physically OK.)

2. What's the proper, safe syntax for deleting an entire app package and its contents? (There are spaces in the name FWIW.)

TIA!

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/11/09 12:13 AM

Ugh. It gets worse.

Disk Utility (via Remote Disc) sees the drive and volume OK, but refuses to repair: invalid node structure. (SMART status is fine.)

I followed Apple's single-user directions, but cannot get past /sbin/fscky -fy:

** Checking Catalog File
disk0s2: I/O Error.
Invalid Node Structure
(4, 888)
** Volume check failed.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

frown

This is an Air with no DVD drive (and getting that plus DiskWarrior would cost $200 and might not even help).

MOST of my stuff is backed up (the vital stuff) but a lot of non-vital but still wanted stuff is currently not. So just wiping the drive is not an option.

Are there any command-line commands that might help me here? (A little cd-ing around tells me my stuff is OK... as near as I can tell. cd and ls are about the extent of my know-how :p ) Dare I try fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2 which I found on macosxhints? Dangerous?

Can I delete the (4, 888) file?

Can I find out what that file is (so I know to restore it from backup)?

Can I use the command line to clone my (corrupt?) drive to a USB, ethernet or airport volume? (I have all 3.) Or at least clone certain files? (DVR recordings, downloaded games I never checked out yet, etc.)

I hope I don't have to try to extract the HD physically from my Air.

(This happened when attempting to update to iTunes 9 as it happens. Or rather, when that hung, I Safe Booted, ran YASU, and then tried again. The update to 9 went fine that time, but when I rebooted the machine wouldn't start--in Safe mode or otherwise.)
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/11/09 08:10 AM

DW would probably fix it. If you can beg, borrow, or steal a current copy on a bootable external drive, I'd do that. I believe cloning would also copy the bad node structure. DU will clone your drive via the Restore option. I wonder if cloning it to a larger drive would cure it.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/11/09 08:59 AM

I'm in the process of moving 250 GB of archived files from an external HD to Time Capsule (dozens of hours?) and then I can reformat it to boot the Air, back up the less vital stuff, and run DW. Better to spend $100 than $200--at least I won't need the DVD drive.

The process will take all weekend. It's like one of those sliding number puzzles with one block free. I have to keep moving the same huge masses of data around, often wirelessly, to have enough room.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/11/09 05:13 PM

Can you use the USB 2.0 port to speed things up?

I wish I knew more about Unix commands, but I haven't taken that course at college yet, so can't offer any advice. Keeping fingers crossed that you can save your data, though!

I'm really sad that Apple did away with Firewire on their new MacBooks, because that used to be a lifesaver at times like this.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 08:27 AM

As far as I know, the data is recovered. (Carbon Copy Cloner's log shows only a single file that failed to copy--if I read it right. Nothing important.)

However, I lost the $100 gamble on DiskWarrior. The drive cannot be repaired. DW reports physical damage even though the SMART status is OK. Should I trust that?

So the next (expensive) question is: where can I buy a replacement 80 GB HD for a first-gen Air? (I know they're a more obscure kind than later Airs: they use a ZIF connection of some kind.) What kind of drive should I even be searching for? Info is surprisingly scarce. (I found takeapart instructions though.)

I'd even consider an SSD if the cost wasn't much different, but I doubt that.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 10:47 AM

Hard Drive.

I didn't realize they're 3600 RPM.

I think this one would work too. A little quicker.

Did DW give the warning "speed inhibited by disk malfunction?" That almost always means hardware problems, only one time that I saw that did repartitioning take care of it, the rest were actually bad.

Not sure about the SSDs. I'll check but I'm sure they're much more.
Posted by: carp

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 10:58 AM

WoW 3600 , I would have thought 5400 at the lease

Is that for the heat ? or because of the small size of the drive , the new ones comes with the 4200 now

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 12:03 PM

Just a guess but I'd say price, probably $5 cheaper crazy and battery life on the first generation. Probably not heat so much.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 12:10 PM

Humm I guess your right

Well 5 bucks more , errr maybe not on a 1,500 machine Apple can pass that along but on a cheap arse Dell the 5 bucks becomes a big deal

The battery I agree makes more sense.
Apple seems to rather dumb down and then ""brag"" about how much battery life you get <-- seems that way to me ?

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 12:32 PM

When 7200 RPM desktop drives were introduced mainstream Apple still put 5400 RPM in as default for a couple of years to save probably $10 or $20 each machine. I never have understood it. From what I have read they have a wide profit margin on hardware anyway.

I've seen quite a bit of $5 here and there over the years. Who are we to question the almighty Steve though, he's the one with all of our money. laugh

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 12:48 PM

Wide profit margins or Apple Tax laugh

Thats why I think it is more for battery bragging rights , since Apple always takes a beating over that , in every product review .

I mean
A 5400 drive -vs- a 7200 drive , how much battery time is saved ? hours maybe ? if not and only a slight battery gain then what the point . Then your 5 buck ideal would kick in

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/12/09 12:52 PM

You're questioning Steve again. Shame.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/13/09 12:26 PM

DW is never a "gamble." If it saves your bacon once, it has paid for itself.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/13/09 12:27 PM

Also, I would trust DW's report. SMART does not test the integrity of the media itself.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 03:27 PM

Yes, I got the speed message. Maybe the drive would be OK after a reformat, but I don't trust it. I'll never use it again. But I'm up and running on an external drive, with no data loss. (Time Capsule saved most, and some assorted other stuff I was able to copy manually: the drive may not boot, but it does seem to function if you boot from another drive.)

Thanks for the eBay link. That seems to be a different drive (my Air came with is a Samsung HS082HB) but either way they can be had on eBay. eBay scares me though--I'm not experienced enough to protect myself, and I know in the end you really can't know what you're getting. (I don't want a discarded drive that already failed, claimed as "new" for instance.)

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 03:29 PM

Watch seller ratings and recommendations. Also, check to see if they have a return policy/guarantee.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 03:37 PM

Yep--sooner or later I have to try eBay smile And the prices are encouraging. (Maybe suspiciously so?)

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 03:40 PM

Usually, if it is stated "New in sealed box," it's probably OK.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 03:42 PM

Cool. Thanks for the tips. (I see a lot of "New" but not many "New in box".)

Noob Q: What enforces that you really do get something new, sealed in box, and not, say, a rutabaga? Mainly just the bad reviews that would result?

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 03:53 PM

I've never pulled the trigger on eBay, but my wife does regularly w/o disappointment - she doesn't buy tech stuff, though. Basically, you have to know exactly what you want and how much you're willing to pay and don't get into bidding wars. I'm still waffling on getting an AP Express with AirTunes.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 04:09 PM

Well it will come as no surprise to learn that I recommend a Time Capsule... it just saved my bacon smile

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/14/09 04:15 PM

I have a TM back up drive. It's a really good safety net.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 09/30/09 09:05 PM

Is there any way to tell if I have likely physical damage that will come back to bite me again?

My bad disk seems to have reformatted OK (including 7-pass wipe). If my data copies back onto it without error, should I feel safe?

Or should I get rid of this disk?

Should Disk Warrior's "speed inhibited by disk malfunction" that I saw earlier scare me into getting a new internal drive? (Which is massive hassle, but my credit card's warranty-doubling would probably pay for it.)

TIA

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 10/01/09 06:12 AM

That's a pretty definitive warning from DW. New drive time for sure.

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 10/01/09 08:15 AM

I've slept on it, and even if the warning CAN mean other things, I can't risk it. Will probably have to cancel a trip over this frown But I'll be up and running at no cost in the end!

Re: Boot to command line and delete an app package - 10/09/09 12:46 PM

OK--end of story: Apple replaced my drive for $224. I dropped the Air off on Saturday and got it back Wednesday. (It didn't have to ship out--in fact they were going to do it while I waited--except they were out of the drives and had to get more in.)

I can live with that price, and my credit card seems to double warranties, so I'm likely to be reimbursed smile