Where do the fonts go?

Posted by: yoyo52

Where do the fonts go? - 12/18/01 10:21 PM

I just downloaded the iTunes scripts that Apple put out recently, and found a folder full of scripts. I have no idea where they're supposed to go (someday I'll get all this small stuff under my belt in X as I did in the classic system). I assume that the fonts are connected with AppleWorks, since they came in the folder that had other stuff for AppleWorks. Any help on placing the fonts?<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Where do the fonts go? - 12/19/01 02:22 AM

You have some fonts that came with AW6 (or iTunes or the iTunes scrips?) and aren't certain where to put them for use with X?<br><br>If they not font type .dfont, which are OS X fonts, I wouldn't put them anywhere, especially if you use Office X. Office X for some reason I don't understand uses OS 9 True Type fonts if classic is running. Some True Type fonts are also in Library/Fonts.<br><br>Note this is not Users/username/library/fonts. I assume fonts placed there are unique to that particular user. And I'm baffled by what Users/username/library/FontCollections is all about. It appears to be something like the old embedded fonts prefs and Microsoft prefs for OS9.<br><br>Because Office X reportedly has problems with certain fonts, mostly older ones and/or those not compliant with Apple guidelines for the classic Mac OS, I've removed all fonts from the OS9 System folder, other than the 4 System fonts and those not already installed in OSX Library/Fonts. All fonts includes fonts in Fonts, Fonts (Disabled), Applications Support, and any others as Office X accesses all fonts in the System folder of classic when it is running. I suspect this also causes classic to load a little faster.<br><br>I've deleted all things Microsoft from my OS9 volume. I knew where to start with OS9 fonts by using TomeViewer with the Tome Installer file from OS 9.1 update as I do not believe there are any fonts in later updates. Not knowing if there might be a problem (I doubt it) I removed all the "duplicate" fonts as noted above which are also in OS X Library/Fonts. By doing so I also got rid of any AW6 fonts installed in OS9 as well as Microsoft fonts with the same name as Apple's. All Microsoft applications and assorted odds & ends related thereto have been deleted from my OS 9 volume.<br><br>Just checked my Word font menu as it's always running and I must have access to at least 50 fonts. Some are Adobe and presumably were installed by Acrobat. (Noting the names of the files in the FontCollections folder, mentioned earlier, may be useful.) <br><br>I have traced the source of all fonts in the Word X menu when classic is running and believe all of mine are in Library/Fonts of the OS X volume or Fonts folder of System folder of OS9 volume.<br><br>I've had no problems with this. Office X apps "quit" and launch faster than previously on my TiBook. ~50 fonts is more than adequate to meet my needs for the present.<br><br>For the time being I'm leaving well enough alone. Any fonts installed in Library/Fonts by OS X, Word X, Excel X, AW6, or Acrobat Reader I'm leaving there. If and when I find that folder of fonts you're talking about I'm going to make certain it's tucked away with all my Adobe Type 1 and 2 fonts, misc others in a folder about 55MB in size on my OS9 volume.<br><br>I don't use fonts in Photoshop 6.01 all that often but have had no problems. The only OS9 app of any consequence which I've used in OS9 is GoLive 5. In that case since I was editing existing files I simply quit classic in OS X then moved all the Adobe Fonts from Applications Support, other Adobe and other TT back into the OS 9 System folder and booted into Classic/OS9.2.2. <br><br>I had a Fonts folder already standing by for this eventuality. It simply has all the stuff I removed from System folder, OS 9 in the first place.<br><br>This is a bit of a pain, and may serve no good purpose, but I do know that various misc. OS9 apps I run in X, along with Photoshop, have no problems. I haven't had classic crash, for example, since updating to X 10.1.<br><br>Personally I'm not adding a single font (or removing one) from Library/Fonts until I get a better handle of what is going on. I don't run ATM under classic as I have two good inkjet printers and have no use for a laser printer.<br><br>I didn't really try to answer your question at all, did I? If for some reason you think you need the fonts I'd dump them in Library/Fonts, logout and log back in. <br><br>Actually I like your question. I'm hoping someone who knows what they're doing will jump in. <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: Where do the fonts go? - 12/19/01 07:32 AM

"Found" the fonts folder you mention for AW6.<br><br>I have no interest in their intended purpose so did not install them in Library/Fonts.<br><br>Why not try moving the folder into AW6's folder, logout and login and launch AW6 and see if they're available? I'm too lazy to try. There is another folder with many ITC fonts designed for use by students and teachers. It is part of the standard install of AW5 or AW6 and it's found in the AW folder under OS9 where it is non-functional as I recall.<br><br>At one time I dumped all of those fonts into the OS9 System/Fonts folder. I never had a use for them and later uninstalled them. I like to use a variety of fonts, but after seeing more than 20 or 30 in a Fonts menu I tend to wonder "why?"<br><br>I realize this is heresy and at one time used ATM Deluxe and its predecessor, Suitcase (which has an OSX version available), et al to use and/or manage a host of Adobe fonts. Everyone knows that any Mac user worth their salt can readily access 1,500 or more fonts, one way or another. But I find the 50 mentioned in my other post adequate. <br><br>I gave up use of Adobe fonts when I stopped using a laser printer and started using my two inkjets. One is an Epson Pro 9000 for which I have a seldom used RIP (for OS9). With decent paper I have no interest in laser printers anymore and the RIP probably hasn't been used for at least 6 months. <br><br>(My other printer is an inexpensive Epson 740i which I use to knock out virtually all text including PDF files. I use the Epson Pro 9000 primarily for printing photos of my grandchildren, a bit of over kill. But I happen to have photogenic grandchildren. )<br><br>I wander.....<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Where do the fonts go? - 12/19/01 08:20 AM

A friend of mine has a whole CD library of fonts, of which he uses a couple (of fonts, not CDs). But he insists that it's essential to have them all.<br><br>I guess I'm not all that eager to use the fonts in question, just curious about where they should go. The one thing I don't like about X is my unfamiliarity with where things ought to go. I realize that it's my problem, not the system's, and that given time and experience the problem will disappear, but still I find it a little frustrating, like being a two year old again (although I wouldn't mind the age change since then I could look forward to gaining hair instead of losing it ).<br><br>edit: editing for spelling is a lost art on line :rolleyes:<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 12/19/01 11:22 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Where do the fonts go? - 12/19/01 09:08 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>edit: editing for spelling is a lost art on line :rolleyes:<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Give it up. Until OmniWeb or someone comes up with a decent interactive spell checker I think it's a waste of time. In cyber space my impression is that grammar, vocabulary, spelling and other matters have been abandoned in favor of (I haven't figured that out yet.)<br><br>I fit right in. <br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous

Re: Where do the fonts go? - 12/19/01 09:22 AM

This is the kind of problem I've been trying to avoid by going through the Library/Fonts of X and the Fonts folder of OS9 folder. <br><br>From Today's OSX MacFixIt:<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Font problem, again Craig Rumpel was having odd symptoms, including crashes, in a variety of programs (especially iTunes). The crash logs kept making references to fonts. He eventually found that the cause was the Adobe PostScript version of the Times font installed in his /Library/Fonts folder. When he replaced this with the default TrueType version of Times, the problems vanished. This is just another example of how fonts can be the source of OS X symptoms (see also previous item, for example). <p><hr></blockquote><p>The link included in quote is also useful for OS X fonts.<br><br>And yet another reason why the good sites like MacFixIt are worth a subscription fee if necessary.<br><br>The other link mentioned is especially good for troubleshooting all Office X problems that are related to fonts and startup applications issues.<br><br>128k_Mac<br><br>"The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better' so I bought a Macintosh." - Anonymous<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 128K_Mac on 12/19/01 12:27 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>