Need Help with Mail

Posted by: DLC

Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 10:36 AM

Recently I've had some problem sending Mail with Mail 3.5. Only started last week and was intermittent ... now it's more consistent. All the smpt data appears correct- account Name and password.... I check mail connections and they're green "Go" .

Forgot to mention, I have NO problem receiving mail, just sending!
What's going on ?
I don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance. smile
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 01:39 PM

I think I have been getting the same message. When you try to send an email, does a window come down saying unable to use the server, try another one? (Or something like that?)

I changed something in the outgoing server information and now mine works fine. Wish I could be more specific, but I didn't write it down.
Posted by: carp

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 03:08 PM

John I've been getting the same prompt lately a lot

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 03:39 PM

BINGO !! .. . . . that's it ! grin

If you remember - please post...

think it something going on with mobile.me ?? or the mac (me) account ?

and Carp, at least we now know it's not just a "continental" problem !! wink
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 03:49 PM

From the MobileMe status RSS feed:

5/24/09, 14:30 15:15 PDT

Some MobileMe members were unable to access MobileMe Mail. Normal service has been restored. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You can get that feed by logging into MobileMe, clicking Account, and under System Status, click More information.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 03:57 PM

I've had the same problem using Mail.app on three different computers. And when I go to the me.com web page, it claims that all services are up and running. Because it happens on three separate computers, and now because others are having the same problem, it's got to be at the server end.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 04:10 PM

Verrrry interestink! I get the error message, too, but when I click "Use Selected Server," (which is my mac.com account) it sends OK. Sent from my me/mac.com email account to my Earthlink account. smirk

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 04:30 PM

I sometimes get the error message two or three times in a row before the message gets sent.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 05:59 PM

Nope, it's not just you.
It's happened to me several times throughout the years, but so sporadic, I assumed it was the server, not my machine or software.
Sometimes it's better not to troubleshoot, and let the problem heal thyself! grin

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 06:15 PM

I don't have .Me, so it's not that.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 06:18 PM

I think what you are describing is that the mail.app is unable to reach the "outgoing mail server SMPT" which you have selected for that account. Mail.app needs to do nothing more but check into that server. If it can't reach it you then get a dialog box, "SMTP server unavailable would you like to try another one?" and the list includes all of your SMTP servers you have listed in all your accounts.

If you use a laptop and go between secure and firewalled campuses then out to unsecured comcast you can get these messages all the time each time you move. (Actually not all the time. I'll get a string of days where it will pop this up then it will go away for months. Likely someone jerking around with the security levels.)

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/24/09 07:58 PM

It happens to my G5 tower, which is highly immobile. The whole thing started happening almost every single time I try to email something just about the time that Dave reports, about a week or so ago. Sometimes the error shows up right away and sometimes the little spinning wheel grinds away for several minutes before the error comes up. Whatever it's about, it's a PITA.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/25/09 11:31 AM

I guess it can be due to many things - it's working OK today so maybe it was a "mobile me" thingie... at work the other day- could have been the firewall...

WTF knows ! grin

any way THANKS to ALL, !! laugh

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/25/09 01:00 PM

It happens to immobiles too if the SMTP server you have selected as your default is wimpy and cannot be found when you mail out.
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 06:02 AM

It's NOT mobile me. It started on my wife's ibook the other day - she has been prompted to try another server, but we have only one for her: smtp.comcast.net. She has no online storage accts a la mobile me, and, the same airport connection and comcast account (different userids) work well for the boy and me. No settings have been changed, and incoming mail presents no problem. I'm glad this problem is not ours alone, but I'd be more glad if none of us had it.

Tried all the usual reboot/permissions/pram bullshirt, now going to go out on the limb and see if reinstalling the app makes ANY difference.

I think the problem is not local, but I have little choice but to act locally.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 07:02 AM

If you keep telling Mail to try with the same server, eventually it works. PITA!

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 07:29 AM

I've had no problem since Sunday. Maybe it's Apple's way of letting us know that the release of Snow Leopard is imminent? laugh

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 08:12 AM

It ought snow on Cupertino until this sh!t is fixed.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 09:23 AM

I didn't mean it was a mobile me problem, just that it shows up when I go mobile especially bouncing between a heavily firewalled location and a commercial provider. My institute will not allow me to use an smtp server from within the institute that is outside but when I am outside I cannot use their smtp server. So I get this message all the time which I then have to switch.

I would guess that it is not an Apple problem but a internet provider problem or whoever else lights up your outgoing mail server. If you check "account information" and look at the "outgoing mail server (SMTP) that is what is screwing up. Not Apple. At least when I get that message I know it is not Apple's fault.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 09:26 AM

You're having a different issue--not a problem, but an issue. What other folks are having is a problem, and I think it's not a problem with the server or with the particular computer set up but with the app.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 11:18 AM

Uhm, I thought it was a problem with the server, not the app? I don't have any more problems with Mail outgoing but when I did, it was giving me the message Poly said earlier "SMTP server unavailable would you like to try another one?"

I think we are all talking about the same issue.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 01:00 PM

Poly's issue is different because he has to change settings depending on whether he's behind his office firewall or not. I used to think that for everyone else it was a server problem with Apple's servers, but Beemer says that he experiences the same thing but doesn't use an Apple server. You don't have a .mac account either, do you, John? So if the problem occurs on many computers and doesn't involve a particular server, it must be in the application. So it seems to me, anyway.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 01:07 PM

no, no .me for me

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 01:22 PM

That's what I thought. So the problem crosses different companies' servers--it can't be the server!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
That's what I thought. So the problem crosses different companies' servers--it can't be the server!

It's just the smtp mail servers 99% of the time. Been following this thread and the one thing each poster has in common is that no one found a fix, it just goes away, which is my experience in the field too. One day sending mail is working, the next day not. You hammer on it for an hour or so with no luck, then all of a sudden tomorrow it works again, and not due to any more interaction.

I see this all of the time with many different clients, mail programs, and providers. Someone calls and says my mail can't send, I tell them to take two bytes and call me in the morning, I almost never hear back because it just fixes itself. If it persists, the client is impatient, and they can't use for the interim or can't wrap their head around the webmail all ISPs provide, I go over to the client, contact the ISP and find it's a mail server problem almost every time.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 02:48 PM

You be the Man laugh

When I get those prompts "server not available" , normally about an hour later it goes out and yes its a PITA

Also not sure but maybe this memorial day weekend them servers were over whittled so to speak . I even had problems with cell phones and even my friends had similar cell problems . Millions of calls , millions of email all going out at the same time thingy ?

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 02:57 PM

MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter, oh my! laugh

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

Also not sure but maybe this memorial day weekend them servers were over whittled so to speak . I even had problems with cell phones and even my friends had similar cell problems . Millions of calls , millions of email all going out at the same time thingy ?
You're on the right track. It may have had something to do with the holiday weekend. Not necessarily because there was increased traffic, but because there was so much traffic on the servers that were still up. In general holidays are slower for the tube traffic, I even get less spam, more people outside, parties, etc, so that is one of the times to do long range maintenance on servers, when it bothers the least amount of people. If they take some servers down for maintenance it could put a strain on the ones left or make them unreachable.

Or maybe that's all just BS and the darn thing just slipped cog. laugh

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 03:28 PM

LOL

It really was a China Commie Preemptive Internet Virus Strike.

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/26/09 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
LOL

It really was a China Commie Preemptive Internet Virus Strike.
I was going to mention that but didn't feel like having to provide a link. laugh

Re: Need Help with Mail - 05/30/09 10:27 AM

swine flu