About This Mac - More Info

Posted by: Anonymous

About This Mac - More Info - 05/04/09 01:38 PM

After I did the reinstall of my iMac, I cannot get into More Info when I click on About this Mac. How can I change this so that I can get in?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/04/09 03:56 PM

More Info just launches System Profiler which is in your Utilities folder, so you can launch it from there.

Other than repairing permissions using disk utility, I don't know what to do to fix it, but you can still launch it manually.

If you have a Previous Systems folder on the machine it may be trying to launch the one in there, if it's a different version it may not launch.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 01:44 PM

I cannot even access my System Profiler. The System Profiler bounces on the dock and quickly disappears. Will have to set a Master Password to access this?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 01:53 PM

Not normally.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 01:54 PM

How can I access the System Profiler?

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 02:04 PM

If it won't launch, you can't. Period. Sometimes when an app won't launch, there is a problem with the hard drive. As far as I can tell, you've spent way more time on this iMac than I would have. Its technology is 10 years old. If you want a Mac to just get to know, find a refurbed Mini - Intel based at that. Also, don't worry about OS 9. That is dead tech, too.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: James C
I cannot even access my System Profiler. The System Profiler bounces on the dock and quickly disappears. Will have to set a Master Password to access this?
James, please start providing us with some details about the exact steps you take or I will have to bow out. It's always hard to tell if you followed our instructions or not. In this case I recommended to repair permissions but you didn't mention whether you did, you also didn't respond to whether you have a Previous Systems folder. Both factors I have seen cause your problem. Work with us guy, we like to help, but we can't read minds. smile

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 06:27 PM

Ok well I did repair permissions and I even started up the iMac repairing permissions using First Aid. I still cannot access the More Info tab. I do have a Previous systems folder and deleted most of everything in it except for 2 files I cannot delete: boot.efi and bootX. Will that help? Anything I can do at this point?

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/05/09 09:48 PM

Throw away the whole Previous Systems folder. You may have to reboot to get the trash to empty.

Make another user for testing purposes in Accounts and log in to it, if the same thing happens then run this;

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_Combined_Update_10_3_9

The combo updaters not only will let you update to 10.3.9 from 10.3 through 10.3.8, it is also a known trouble shooting step since it replaces so many system parts.

They also have smaller incremental updaters that only do point upgrades, for example from 10.3 to 10.3.1 only, they are much smaller in size than combo updaters.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the OS but don't do an Archive and Install, erase and install instead.

You can also during the install choose Customize, and not install any extra printer drivers, fonts, or foreign language support to save a bit of disk space.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 06:16 AM

First Aid? Are you sure that wasn't Disk Utility? Disk First Aid is OS 9. Disk Utility is OS X.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 09:25 AM

I tried deleting the Previous Systems folder and it won't let me delete it because these two boot files that are locked.

What is the Set Master Password and Turn on Filevault do? I noticed that in the security settings.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 10:00 AM

To unlock a file, go to the information window on the file, remove the check mark next to the "lock" option. Do that for the folder as well as for the individual files. If they still won't delete, put the previous system folder in the trash. Reboot. Delete.

Don't mess with Filevault at this point--perhaps ever.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 10:29 AM

Hold the Option key down when emptying the trash to delete locked files.

How did my other suggestions work out for the More Info problem?

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 12:10 PM

I tired that and I still cannot access More Info
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 12:48 PM

I'm coming in late to the game here, but from what I've read it seems to me that the best thing to do is back up any important USER-CREATED FILES (photos, documents, music, etc.) - then erase the hard drive and install a fresh system.

Trying to troubleshoot a system that has multiple system folders that (if I recall) were installed by someone else is enough to drive you mad.

Just my 2

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 12:51 PM

Time for an erase and install to get rid of everything instead of just an archive and install.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 12:53 PM

My thoughts exactly, but we've been over this already.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 01:12 PM

Yep. Archive & Install is only useful when you're running a very clean system that you installed and maintained yourself - so that you know exactly what is installed and where.

Archiving one OS version and trying to migrate to another OS version can be troublesome - as witnessed in this case.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 01:22 PM

And if that doesn't work, I prefer the old tried and true method: sledgehammer to computer. wink laugh

But wow...he's putting way too much effort into an old iMac.
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 03:04 PM

Is this a true story ? laugh
I have been on mac forums for a number of years and never seen a trilogy such as these threads about his iMac.
Most posters problems are solved in a very short time.
SO I RESPECTFULLY SAY WIPE FIRKIN HARD DRIVE AND FIRKIN INSTALL OS X !
Or give up on raising the dead and realize it's time to get really really real and go to the Apple Store and buy a mac !

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 04:49 PM

Oh whatever, to hell with you!

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 05:11 PM

Been there done that shocked

Honestly you should take the advise of the other members and wipe your hard drive and do a clean install of OS X
http://homepage.mac.com/edwardhinton/.Movies/Apple.mov

Here listen to some calming Apple Music Ok laugh
http://homepage.mac.com/edwardhinton/.Music/Apple.mp3
Posted by: starmillway

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/06/09 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Swatcat

Here listen to some calming Apple Music Ok laugh
http://homepage.mac.com/edwardhinton/.Music/Apple.mp3

I like that! Made me laugh. Authentic Apple music. Great!

smile

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/07/09 03:09 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/edwardhinton/.Music/macmusic.mp3
Posted by: polymerase

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/07/09 05:21 AM

I found the music relaxing but my dog went ape sit. It his her time of the day for walkies and she waits until I have read all my mail which is signaled by my getting a half dozen system beeps as I run out of things to delete.

Had her spinning like a top then the Wilhelm scream finished her off.

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/07/09 06:54 AM

Well, that's the spirit! cry :b
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: About This Mac - More Info - 05/07/09 10:06 AM

LOL

smile