Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac

Posted by: Anonymous

Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 05:50 AM

Is it possible to set up my HP Deskjet F4200 printer as a network printer on my IMac? The printer is directly hooked up to my Mac Mini and I want my I Mac to be able to print to this printer. I enabled printer sharing on both machines. So could I set up this printer as a network printer for my I Mac? How can I do this?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 06:34 AM

What version of OSX are you running on your mac mini? and your iMac?

You should be able to. I'm at work on a PC, so I'm going by memory, but I believe this is all you have to do is go to the System Prefs and..dang it, I think it's Sharing or Printers (Check both) and select Share Printer.

Found this on the net:

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 07:05 AM

You only need to enable Printer Sharing on the Mini since that is where the printer is connected. Oh, the Mini has to be on and awake to print from the iMac.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 07:14 AM

Never thought about it having to be awake since I only put my monitor to sleep.

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
You only need to enable Printer Sharing on the Mini since that is where the printer is connected. Oh, the Mini has to be on and awake to print from the iMac.

What would I do on the I Mac? Just click add printer and have it find the printer driver on the Mac Mini?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 09:21 AM

You may also need to install the drivers for the printer on the mini if it can't find the drivers when you click add printer.

You have to have them networked in some way of course.

You only need printer sharing on on the machine that has the printer connected to it BTW.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 10:02 AM

In my wireless printing experience, I haven't needed to install the printer driver on the remote computer. The remote computer finds the driver on the target computer and creates a driver on the remote one. At least that's what seems to happen--I have had four different laptops printing through my G5 tower and haven't had to install drivers.

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 08:35 PM

The I Mac detected the printer, HP F4200 Deskjet which is installed on my Mac Mini. However when I printed a test page from the IMac nothing printed. I didn't even get an error message, nothing happened. Did I miss something?

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 09:16 PM

Delete the printer from the printer list on the iMac. Re-add it, but before you click the Add button, what driver does it say it's using, to the left of the Add button, it may be greyed out, but readable.

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Delete the printer from the printer list on the iMac. Re-add it, but before you click the Add button, what driver does it say it's using, to the left of the Add button, it may be greyed out, but readable.

There's also another option that says printer model. Do I need to choose this? I installed the HP drivers on the Mac Mini are there any settings that I need to change?

Re: Network printing with a mac mini and I Mac - 04/03/09 09:52 PM

What printer driver does it say above and to the left of the Add button, next to Print Using.