Free versions of OS 9 to download??

Posted by: Anonymous

Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/02/09 01:24 PM

Is it ture that you now can download a free version of OS 9? If so, where can this be done?
Posted by: SmilesLots

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 04:14 AM

You can try this lin:

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-Mac-OS-Update-9-0-4/3000-2098_4-10042689.html

Maybe it will do. IIRC there were lots of extension conflicts going on at that time, and it really took some effort to give programs enough memory as well as resolve conflicts. Good luck.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 06:27 AM

The bigger question is: Why do you want OS9? To play around with is fine, but it's dead technology.

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
The bigger question is: Why do you want OS9? To play around with is fine, but it's dead technology.

I was just curious about OS 9 that's all. I've been exploring and studying Apple technology lately and just wanted see what OS 9 was like.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 04:34 PM

The last version of OS 9 was 9.2.1.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 05:03 PM

Wasn't it 9.2.2?

And by the way, there is no free OS 9 available. You'd still have to pay.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 05:13 PM

Maybe it was 9.2.2. These days, I can't remember that long ago. laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/03/09 05:30 PM

I know, I know!

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/06/09 04:30 AM

Someone gave me the OS 9.1 and 9.22 discs. However, when I go to install the OS 9, the Classic menu opens and get this message "No Classic system folder: You do not have a version of Mac OS 9 installed that supports Classic. Install mac OS 9.1 or later." I'm unable to install the OS 9. I even checked the startup disk and OS 9 is not there. So any ideas on this one and what I can do to get OS 9 on there?
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/06/09 06:06 AM

Are you able to start up the computer from the 9.1 or 9.2.2 CDs that you have? It's possible that they are update only CDs or not for your computer (e.g., software restore CDs for some other model). Try starting from the CD by pressing and holding the "C" key until the computer is obviously booting from the CD. If that works then try looking -> here . Otherwise, you may have to start with your former 9.0.x and update it to 9.1 -> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103>

Good luck.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/06/09 08:52 AM

Try what Scout said.

You're in a Catch 22, the reason you can't install OS 9 is because you have to have an OS 9 system installed to run the OS 9 installer. The only way to do it is to boot from the CD. When booted from the CD it will be running OS 9 so the installer can run.
Posted by: SmilesLots

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/07/09 03:41 AM

The hard drive also has to have certain OS9 drivers for it to install, which means an earlier version of OS X, like Panther maybe, reformatting, and selecting to install the OS 9 drivers.

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/07/09 06:13 AM

Good point, been so long I forgot about that.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/07/09 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: James C

I was just curious about OS 9 that's all. I've been exploring and studying Apple technology lately and just wanted see what OS 9 was like.

Instead of trying to get OS 9 to load onto a modern CPU you might find it easier to go to EBay or a swap shop or even your town dump pick over area and grab an elder Macintosh.

If you really want to see and feel the experience of OS 9 complete with Chooser a nice Mac SE20 is the perfect box. That little screen is necessary to see how much good stuff was crammed into that operating system.

Come to think of it OS 9 won't run on a Mac SE20. You have to go with OS 7.55. You're not missing much using that instead of OS 9.

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/07/09 05:36 PM

Read through this page which discusses "Chubby Bunny" - a free opensource SheepShaver emulator that already has the Mac ROM installed. It's very easy to work with and has OS9 already installed. Double click the app and OS9 launches. Simple.

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/07/09 06:13 PM

From reading some of his other threads he has PPC machines I believe, not an Intel machine though.
Posted by: trey

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/11/09 05:55 PM

I do miss the old Mac OSes. Not that I'd want to go back to using them on a daily basis at this point, but I wouldn't mind having a couple of machines around to run Photoshop 6.0 on OS 9.X. And FinderPop, who can forget FinderPop!

Ah... the old days.
Posted by: carp

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/11/09 07:36 PM

What about "At Ease" and Conflict Catcher - LOL

My first PhotoShop was 3.5 , came with a great tutorial CD , well I bought a 3rd party book with the CD . Anyway that was the days
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Free versions of OS 9 to download?? - 04/14/09 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: trey
And FinderPop, who can forget FinderPop!

Ah... the old days.
FinderPop is available for OSX.