FireWire vs File Sharing

Posted by: Anonymous

FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 05:44 AM

I want to move a large amount of data from my Mac Mini to my Imac. It's 1.5 to 3 gigabytes worth of data. So would it be better to transfer the data using a FireWire cable between both machines or just setting up File Sharing between both machines and moving it that way. How long would it take to transfer over a gigabite's worth of data from a Mac Mini to an older IMac?
Posted by: zwei

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 06:26 AM

You should be able to transfer that amount of data in just a couple minutes. Use ethernet or firewire ...whichever is easiest for you.

If I didn't already have sharing on, I'd probably just restart the old machine in target disk mode and transfer via firewire (restart holding T down)

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: zwei
You should be able to transfer that amount of data in just a couple minutes. Use ethernet or firewire ...whichever is easiest for you.

If I didn't already have sharing on, I'd probably just restart the old machine in target disk mode and transfer via firewire (restart holding T down)

How would I transfer the files using an ethernet cord? What process would I use?

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 07:26 AM

You would use file sharing to transfer via ethernet. If you have a firewire cord ...just reboot in firewire target disk mode and copy the files that way. That would be easier for you.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 07:48 AM

Target disk mode.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 07:59 AM

One question: That many Macs and no network?

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 09:34 AM

How long would it take to transfer files from MAC to another using an ethernet cord? I tried transferring via a wireless network and it took hours to trasnfer the 3 GB of data to the other Mac.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 09:44 AM

Depending on the wireless speed (I'm assuming that the iMac has only 802.11b which is slow) Even 802.11g is half the speed as Ethernet at 100Mb/s (also assuming the iMac is limited to 100Mb/s - the Mini has Gigabit ethernet). Firewire400 is going to give you the fastest transfer speed at 400Mb/s maximum.

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 03/31/09 09:48 AM

less than 10 min ..unless it's an old 10-base ethernet card

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Firewire400 is going to give you the fastest transfer speed at 400Mb/s maximum.

Iíve never used fire wire. I do know that there are 4 pin and 6 pin firewire cables. How will I know which would be the right firewire cable to get for my older iMac and Mac Mini?

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 08:06 AM

You'll be looking for a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. The image below is a 6-pin (left) to 4-pin (right)

The 4-pin connectors are mostly used to connect DV camcorders to your machine. All Macs ship with 6-pin connectors on them. (unless you have a VERY recent one that only ships with a FireWire 800 port)

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 09:58 AM

I have a 2 yr old Mac Mini and an older IMac. Now I do remember seeing that 6 pin connector on the back of the Mac mini and I think there's one on the IMac. Can I buy these FireWire cables at the Apple Store?

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 10:08 AM

I would think so ...or somewhere like best buy.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 10:31 AM

If you're not in a hurry for the cable, get it on line from somewhere that's as cheap as can be--do a search at Amazon or at Froogle. Do not just go to a brick and mortar store and pay through the nose!!
Posted by: carp

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 11:56 AM

or go to Radio Shack if its closer and you can't wait for online

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
If you're not in a hurry for the cable, get it on line from somewhere that's as cheap as can be--do a search at Amazon or at Froogle. Do not just go to a brick and mortar store and pay through the nose!!

I just cheked amazon and I saw a 6ft cable for $4.51

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Ft-Firewire-Cab...8673&sr=8-1

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 12:50 PM

Not going to find one much cheaper than that. Looks good.
Posted by: carp

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 01:02 PM

add 6 bucks for shipping though

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/02/09 01:08 PM

Click the link, not quite that much. Out the door for $5.97.

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/03/09 05:38 AM

Well I checked the IMac and it appears that there is no FireWire in there. I even went into About This and in the FireWire setting and there was no information in there about it. This is an older CRT, blue IMac. I checked where in the area where the USB ports and modems are located and there was no FireWire hookup in there. Would it be located anywhere else?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/03/09 06:37 AM

Nope, I bet you got the pre-firewire iMac.

Is this the one?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_350.html

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/03/09 08:59 AM

Yes I do believe that is the model
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: FireWire vs File Sharing - 04/03/09 10:10 AM

The first iMac with firewire ports is the fruit-colored slot loading ones.