DVD WR Rom for my old IMac

Posted by: Anonymous

DVD WR Rom for my old IMac - 03/30/09 07:26 PM

Is it possible to replace my current CD Rom/DVD Drive with a DVD Readable/writeable drive for my old IMac. It's an IMac Power PC 750 (2.2) with a 350 MHz processor, Power PC G3 with OS X 10.3.9. If it is possible, can you please provide with some links to online stores to where I can purchase it.

Thank You
Posted by: Jim_

Re: DVD WR Rom for my old IMac - 03/30/09 07:49 PM

What do you want to burn? What program are you going to use to burn it?

There was never an internal DVD burner made for that so you'd need an external, but due to the age of 10.3.9 there are limitations.

Re: DVD WR Rom for my old IMac - 03/30/09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
What do you want to burn? What program are you going to use to burn it?

There was never an internal DVD burner made for that so you'd need an external, but due to the age of 10.3.9 there are limitations.

I'd like to use it for large amounts of data and for back ups. So this is no way that I can install an internal drive in this IMac? Currently I have a Mac mini, I Mac and Windows Dell laptop and none of them have DVD WR capabilities.

Re: DVD WR Rom for my old IMac - 03/30/09 08:33 PM

That iMac should have firewire, get an external, one of these.

Then download Patchburn, the links are on that page. You can get the same model for $7 US less, but this one includes DragonBurn software to burn data discs. It says Finder burning should work after Patchburn, but I installed the Pioneer 116 mechanism in a tower this week and Finder burns didn't work, they needed a third party solution, like DragonBurn, or Toast.

Re: DVD WR Rom for my old IMac - 03/31/09 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
That iMac should have firewire, get an external, one of these.

Then download Patchburn, the links are on that page. You can get the same model for $7 US less, but this one includes DragonBurn software to burn data discs. It says Finder burning should work after Patchburn, but I installed the Pioneer 116 mechanism in a tower this week and Finder burns didn't work, they needed a third party solution, like DragonBurn, or Toast.

Yes both Macs have FireWire. I will look into getting an external. What's the advantage of using patchburn?

Re: DVD WR Rom for my old IMac - 03/31/09 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: James C
Yes both Macs have FireWire. I will look into getting an external. What's the advantage of using patchburn?
It installs a driver for newer burners to make them work with with Finder burning in older versions of OS X. It usually works, but sometimes not, that's why I recommend getting the one with DragonBurn in case Finder burning doesn't work. Finder burning explained.

Here's the PatchBurn page. Click on the FAQ link on that page, it explains what it does.