Copying DVD?

Posted by: ZoeR

Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 09:06 AM

Hello all,

I wanted to try and copy a DVD. It was so easy on my old PC, just pop it in and copy away. But I can't find any way of doing it on my new Mac and no information about how to either. Is this something that the lovely Mac doesn't do? Do I need special software? It is not a commercial copyright film.

Hope someone knows the answer please.

Posted by: carp

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 10:22 AM

What Mac do you have ? ?

My iMac 24 I just drag and drop the file on the DVD icon
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 11:35 AM

If it's a home movie type DVD, then I would try the drag/drop method. Open up the DVD and drag it to the desktop.

But I haven't done it before so I'm not really sure.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 12:57 PM

I'm going to have to try that just to see what happens. I'm wondering that if it is a video DVD, will the copy play as it should?

Otherwise - Toast

I haven't checked, but I assume that there are other DVD copy utilities available.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 01:06 PM

there is mactheripper but I don't know about home movies. I'll have to make one and then try it.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 01:47 PM

Hi Zoe!

From the desktop/finder, I chose help and wrote copy disk and got this:

Home Index

Duplicating a CD or DVD
You can make copies of a CD or DVD and the information it contains. To do so, use Disk Utility to create a copy or “disk image” of the disc, and then burn that image onto another disc.

For more information, open Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder), choose Help > Disk Utility Help, and search for “duplicating a CD or DVD.”

===========

There is a link at the bottom that says:

Open
Disk Utility

Click on it and it opens application Disk Utility where you can do the above mentioned stuff!

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 02:28 PM

You get today's genius award! cool
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 02:37 PM

Apple "Help" gets the award!

I forget about using it most of the time.

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 05:06 PM

There are about a dozen free apps at MacUpdate that make copying/burning CDs and DVDs easier than using Apple's incredibly stupid Disk Utility program.

But to be honest, the Disk Utility app works perfectly fine - it's just not a "user friendly" app.

Here's a few of those apps:
BurnX
LiquidCD
SimplyBurns
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
there is mactheripper but I don't know about home movies. I'll have to make one and then try it.
MTR is only for copying commercial movies with encryption, not home made movies. smile
Posted by: carp

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 06:46 PM

I just insert DVD and drag contents onto the desk top - once copied - I insert a blank DVD and drag copy to new DVD

That easy

Now if you want more control then go with what the others have mentioned - but out of the box Macs have similar to what XP has , if not easier .

Keep in mind you do need a DVD burner to burn DVDs - So when you said "new Mac" does this mean new to you a G3 , G4 , G5 yada yada ? ?

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/27/09 11:17 PM

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. My Mac is an OX S 10.

there doesn't seem to be aDVD icon for me to drag it to.

It is not a home movie - recorded from TV.

In Disk utility it told me I could copy home movies that had been made on my computer - I tried it but the DVD, though it looked burned, seemed to have nothing on it . .

Keep thinking Guys!

Posted by: SmilesLots

Re: Copying DVD? - 01/28/09 03:49 AM

What model is your Mac - not operating system. And does it have a super drive or a combo drive. You need a super drive to burn dvd's. But you can burn cd's with the combo drive.

Re: Copying DVD? - 02/04/09 12:50 AM

Thanks everybody that is really helpful.

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Copying DVD? - 02/04/09 01:03 PM

Zoe,

Just wondering:

Was it successful? Were you able to do what you wanted?

smile

Re: Copying DVD? - 02/08/09 02:47 AM

I found out that the DVD I was trying to copy didn't actually have anything on it - although it was burned and you could see that. So I haven't tried it again but feel sure that what you said is what I did in the first place and that it will definitely work!

Thanks again!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Copying DVD? - 02/08/09 09:33 AM

If you are trying to copy a dvd that was made on someones computer, then you can copy it using disk utility.

If it's a Movie DVD you bought from a store, it will be encrypted and you will need a third party app such as MTR to rip it to your drive.

If you have the money, Toast is the over-all premiere disc burning app for the Mac.