Pages, OK, I changed my mind

Posted by: polymerase

Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 06:04 AM

I downloaded the 30 day copy of iWorks and this might do it. I never changed over to Pages because I collaborate with everything. I cannot actually tie my shoes without a coauthor so anything I do has to be Microsoft Word compatible. If I used Pages I would never get to use the cool formatting imbedding and general goodness that is Pages because I would have to convert to Word before sending.

But I am rebelling. Why should third rate crap software force itself into my life because the rest of the world is stuck with it? Screw it. I am imbedding delicious photos into my documents and I might even drop shadow.

Keystone has charts which the X or Y can be log scale! Be still my heart. I haven't even gone inside numbers yet. I am giddy with excitement holding off on looking at the new spreadsheet program. Lets all load up the nerd song, hold hands and sing!

OK, my wife has beat me to it. After plotting a growth curve in Numbers she is now dancing in the living room.

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 06:39 AM

I used Pages 2 for a 300 page manuscript that was loaded with images. It was so much easier doing the image layout and cations than with Word. I just saved it as a PDF and the publisher took it without complaint.

I still use Word as my word processor though.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 06:55 AM

I'm thinking the saving to PDF and send is the way to go too. Although some stuff gets passed back and forth in reality most of it is one way. Everyone can pop open a PDF.

Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 07:30 AM

Excellent news, congratulations smile

I too downloaded the trial, as I can only buy from Amazon (Jan, 19th). Geographically, I'm not allowed near the online Apple store frown
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 06:17 PM

I haven't looked real close at them, just dabbled. Change is hard.
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 06:43 PM

Yo, Reboot. Love that avatar, man.

LOL!

Gotta check out Pages one of these days. Just out of curiosity, mind. I'm also wondering about Numbers. For script breakdowns in TV land, I'm using NeoOffice's spreadsheet module. Lets me rank what graphic I need to finish is up first on what shooting day, that sort of thing. Also lets me sort it all according to what graphic jobs will be most time-consuming... wonder if Pages can accommodate that use more elegantly... how much text can a cell take before it's full, I wonder? Usually I do everything pretty much in point form anyway...
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 06:58 PM

Downloaded the trial myself! I guess I now have 30 days as well to make up my mind (or find the money) if I decide to make the switch...

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 07:00 PM

I'm only joshing about being ticked they they were moved. Well, maybe a little annoyed.

Anyway, Pages, I went nuts today and created a PDF with all sorts of imbedded html links jumping out to web pages and imbedded pages. Most of the text I placed on text boxes that looked like they were pieces of raised paper. Gave it a real folksy look.

There was one thing I could not figure out. I could make a link using text but I could not use a jpeg. One of the links was to my Linked in page. I wanted to use the a LinkedIn button jpeg but had to settle for using "LinkedIn" as text.

The other dumb thing I did was send it off to where it was to be mounted without reducing the size. It is going onto a site I do not own. Once it was there I clicked on it and it opened slowly because it weighed in at 1.6 MB. I then went back and in the menu is a "reduce file size" since it keeps several copies of an image if you edit it. I did the slimming exercise and it came in at 235KB.

Off to check out Keynote and Excel. There is a lot of verbiage that says saving a Keynot as a Powerpoint works perfectly. We'll see.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
...created a PDF with all sorts of imbedded html links...
You put a PDF with what? It's Embedded.

Class dismissed.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 07:18 PM

Maybe that's why it didn't work. I shouldn't be using a hammer ...

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 07:23 PM

Roget's Thesaurus notes that both are correct homey.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/09/09 08:51 PM

*SNAP!*
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 01:08 AM

The i- words seem to be preferred in the US - imbed, insure, artifact as compared to embed, ensure, artefact etc. But they're still considered acceptable 'variants' in British English too.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 07:13 AM

I don't care what Roget says, Embed is the correct usage.

Imbed is there only because there are so many idiots in the world that it's become accepted - kind of like people who spell Web site as "website." Web is a proper noun, which describes the site. At no time is it proper English to make Web site one word, or lowercase the word Web when it's used in reference to the World Wide Web. It's just accepted because there are so many retards out there, that Internet shorthand has become the norm.

Unfortunately, the stupidification of people on the "interwebs" is so widespread, these things are becoming normal acceptable speech. Kind of like "we be" in the ghetto (as in "we be goin to rob the liquor store). wink

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I don't care what Roget says, Embed is the correct usage.

If you don't like website and someone calling you a looser you should very much care what Roget and his kissing cousin Oxford's English Dictionary says.

Because Embed is the new word, imbed was the first and best usage but we let the damn english get their way and embed is now more common.

1778 was the first use of either word and it was imbed that Whitehurst used to describe marine fossils imbedded in a mountain top. (Darwin thought this very interesting.) It wasn't until more than 60 years later in 1861 before Hulme the idiot described leeches embedded in the earth. (His paper's thesis was proved wrong but his mouth breathing spelling lived on.)

Although imbed is still common usage in biology and physics the common usage on the street is embed. The idiots won but I will stick with imbed. sick

Website I would argue is a new word, not a misspelling. My editors tell me to use e-mail and not email but I think they will lose that fight. New word.

Now if looser shows up in Oxford's I am going to protest.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 08:57 AM

Do you mean that one usage is looser (as in not so tight) than the other?

I think that there's a semantic difference between the two words. With the "i" it suggests that the foreign object is incorporated into the base material; with the "e" it suggests that the object merely lies on the base material.

OK, so I made that up . . .

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 09:23 AM

No, I meant looser as a jarring misspelling of loser. It is the type of misspelling that is becoming more and more frequent as writers use the crutch of a spelling corrector. "To funny" always makes my brain pause no matter what. Looser makes my head spin as it is usually something that needs more brains, not more tightening.

Your two definitions match up to what the biological definitions for the two words are as I think of them. The only times I have seen embed is when a sample is stuck to the surface of paraffin. If the paraffin is melted and the cells are within the paraffin I would call that imbedded.

Embedded reporters in the Iraq War seems to follow that logic. They were not soldiers and do not belong in the patrol so they are embeds. It seems like the Iraq War was the beginning of the end for the word as the proletariate has taken embedded and run with it polluting the word by using both intonations.

My html links were imbedded into the PDF document. They are legitimate occupants of the document and live within not upon the file. But that could be argued semantically ad infinitum. I call that one a toss up.

I love discussing spelling because I wish I could spell better. I submit stuff to an OCD web editor and I swear this a-hole finds two grammatical errors per sentence. A lot of them one could go either way but I thank him and never argue with all the red ink.
Posted by: MrB

New Portuguese - 01/10/09 09:29 AM

i remembe a thing a couple years ago about the people in Portugal getting upset with the changing of Portuguese mostly coming from the use in Brazil.

To me it's a compromise of what is normal usage and what is historic usage. I rather like the historic myself but quite often I will bastardize it to make an effect. I do like the word "interweb" as it makes fun of itself so that it gets more attention. Except, many people with whom I use it, think it normal so it goes over their heads.

dave

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 09:32 AM

Quote:
I love discussing spelling because I wish I could spell better. I submit stuff to an OCD web editor and I swear this a-hole finds two grammatical errors per sentence. A lot of them one could go either way but I thank him and never argue with all the red ink.
To your defense (not defence - another common Internet typo), there's a difference between your accidental misspelling and ignorant fools on the Internet who truly don't know the difference between "too" and "to" or "your" and "you're."

Everyone makes a typo now and then. It's when you begin to see a pattern in the "typos" that you just want to smack the shat out of someone and tell them to pay attention in class, or go back to school!
Posted by: MrB

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 09:35 AM

I certainly am not excellent at English or grammar but some things, when I see them, really hit me in the head: Like "your" instead of "you're". And the missuse of the words "to, and too".

Another thing that gets me but doesn't seem to get anyone else is the use of "fewer" and "less". Somehow I was taught to use "fewer" when the quantity is discrete or can be counted and to use "less" when it is the whole amount as one. (i.e. "Less" money and "fewer" dollars. or Less sand and fewer rocks)

dave

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 09:57 AM

You and Giz both had to bring up your and you're. I swear I know the difference but if I am typing something that is going to be posted with my name on it in a public place my fingers type the wrong one. I have painfully learned that my fingers are out to paint me as a complete moron. My other one I have to read three times before I move on is our and are. My inner hayseed sneaks in to beat me with the stupid stick.

My favorite line of dialog I have ever heard in a made for TV movie is one uttered by the submarine commander as he is hunched over the map. He barks, "What are our alternatives?" He sounded like a trained seal. A movie with a few more bucks to spend may have rewritten that on the spot. I just saw the first season of 30 Rock. "Rural Jurors" are two more words that should not go together.

But back to Pages. I downloaded all three to my MBA and have been messing with Keynote now. I think I may retire Powerpoint. I am finally getting the hang of "Inspector". Since it is common to all of them it is worth the effort to figure out the advanced features.

My wife bought the family pack and supposedly I will be able to use her serial number on my downloads. I like the way they do this copy protection. Not a huge hinderance. I'll buy another family pack for my lab if we switch. I will gladly spend money on programs that have CP which is not a pain in the ass.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: polymerase
My wife bought the family pack and supposedly I will be able to use her serial number on my downloads. I like the way they do this copy protection. Not a huge {hinderance?} hindrance. I'll buy another family pack for my lab if we switch. I will gladly spend money on programs that have CP which is not a pain in the ass.

I keep three running Macs in my home. Just for entertainment I guess. Family uses them when they visit. I hate it when they want to use "MY" personal Mac smile

I've wondered how Family Pack apps work. If I install it on three Macs, can I run all three apps at once? Do they each have individual serial numbers [or authorizing identifiers]?

If I had 20 Macs running in my home, could I run the Family Pack on all of them? Is there a limit as to how many?

Poly, you mention you 'supposedly' will use your wife's S/N to download, etc. So if you don't know the answers to my questions, I'm asking anyone to respond.

---------

I know I've asked allot here? smile Just adding my favorite mis-used word[s].

Quote:

First, the Family Pack Restrictions (per Apple):

"The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users."

A laptop taken on the road or back to school is not an issue; you are part of the same household.

Second, it is not illegal or unlawful to install in violation of the EULA. Apple is not a law-making entity. It is actionable however, and subject to civil suit, as it is essentially a breaking of a contract agreement between you & Apple. You will not go to jail, but you can be sued. Exceedingly unlikely, in any case.

Third, this is all based on the honor system.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 11:21 AM

Sorry, in the Oxford English Dictionary, 'defence' is the default, 'defense' is the alternative (older) spelling. It's a US/UK thing again. So they're basically both correct.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 11:43 AM

And here I always thought that "to funny" was an infinitive! It makes a great verb. wink

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 11:44 AM

I wrote "supposedly" since I have not tried it with the new software. What seems to be functioning in the old or present system is that virtually all of Apple's copy protection is by the honor system. There is no difference between a family pack and a single use. Both have a single serial number which can load on an infinite number of machines.

I try to buy as many copies as I am using. That Apple does not make that chore difficult with restrictive serial numbers that call in and register themselves is something that I want to reward and keep on rewarding.

That Apple allows a 30 day fully functional download and then I can use my wife's serial number from her family pack without feeling guilty while I try it out is great. If it turns out I load Pages on more machines at work another family pack should cover the EULA somewhat. I private NIH funded academic lab is not "commercial". (At least I don't think so.)

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
And here I always thought that "to funny" was an infinitive! It makes a great verb. wink

Woah, English Department Chair nerd alert. But that is how my brain processes it. Especially twisted is when Carp does "To funny LOL." I picture someone thinking of the infinitive funny and then laughing about that process of being, "to funny." When you think of it the infinitive is hard to use in a sentence. Try it.

Some clowns are sitting around having beers and are thinking of the existential crisis in their lives the day after 9/11. To funny or not to funny, that is the question.

That's all I got.

Posted by: carp

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I certainly am not excellent at English or grammar but some things, when I see them, really hit me in the head: Like "your" instead of "you're". And the missuse of the words "to, and too".

Another thing that gets me but doesn't seem to get anyone else is the use of "fewer" and "less". Somehow I was taught to use "fewer" when the quantity is discrete or can be counted and to use "less" when it is the whole amount as one. (i.e. "Less" money and "fewer" dollars. or Less sand and fewer rocks)

dave

Me neither but here in the forums I don't care about the to or too or your or you're
However at work I do run the grammar checker , something I wish Apple made better
Posted by: DLC

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 12:02 PM

Hey Poly... I love Keynote... if you have a big enough screen open 2 inspectors (or 3 if you like) I leave one selected on Slide Transitions (2nd icon from the Left) and the other on item builds (3rd) that way I don't have to switch back and forth. If you open 3, use the 3rd for all other activities (Text, graphics, & metrics), and leave the first 2 as is. I played around with the new features last night... Magic Move is cool... so is "Perspective"... neat slide to slide transitions. Plus you can easily add music, audio, and movies.

The thing that does it for me over PowerPoint is the programming is SO easy and versatile; if you can imagine it - you can probably do it ! The 2004 PowerPoint programming was a BIG PITA !! (not the bread) laugh

Good Luck ! wink

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 12:07 PM

I guess "to funny" is transitive, right?

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 12:07 PM

The both of you should show us a keynote sorta like give a demo that would be nice ?

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 12:41 PM

Thanks for telling me more than one Inspector can be open. That might never have occurred to me but is extremely helpful. There are iWork08 workshops ten minutes away. I think I need to check one out so I can see an expert in action. I bet they would have two open also.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 12:52 PM

Hey thanks. "That Apple does not make that chore difficult with restrictive serial numbers that call in and register themselves is something that I want to reward and keep on rewarding."
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I guess "to funny" is transitive, right?
What does RuPaul have to do with all this, I don't even know where to move this one to now, thanks a lot.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 01:43 PM

"The clown funnied his way to the big top." Isn't that intransitive since the prepositional phrase "to the top" acts as an adverb and needs to be there? Or something like that. Good grief I actually liked diagramming sentences in grade school but that might have been the last time i had ever thought of it.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 03:02 PM

The direct object is "his way," not the phrase, which you've correctly identified as an adverbial prepositional phrase. If I could imbed ( wink ) a sound file, I'd put in this one.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 03:29 PM

PITA.... Pain in the Azz !! laugh

just made it up ! ....I'm sure someone else beat me to it.

I'll see if I can set up some slide demos for you to observe.

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/10/09 03:32 PM

For some reason I liked prepositional phrases. Maybe because they were easy to spot but then they were so devious and could trick you. I also could have had a wicked crush on my english teacher who taught me them but she was extremely hot and drove a trike motorcycle. I would diagram her sentences anytime anywhere, on the floor, under the tree, in the ...

KeyNote Special Effects. - 01/10/09 04:38 PM

OK IF you go to my iDisk Site:

Look for :
OLD Keynote Effects
Test KeyNote 09 Effects

Download and play those. You can open the Inspector and see how it's programmed.

Enjoy. grin

I love "The End" Slide of the Old Keynote... course you can do that now even better.

What does PowerPoint offer and how HARD is it to get to work like you want ?

Re: KeyNote Special Effects. - 01/10/09 06:39 PM

Mahalo David
But its a no go - I guess I need KeyNote installed ?

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/11/09 01:34 AM

"Bush funnied, oblivious, but no-one was laughing." How's that for intransitive? And ready for the soapbox too!

Re: Pages, OK, I changed my mind - 01/11/09 09:53 AM

A dual use verb . . . OK!