(X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mail?

Posted by: Nagromme

(X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mail? - 11/07/08 09:38 AM

I just quoted an email in a reply, and when I mouse over the quoted text, a round-cornered frame appears around it, with a Dashboard-style (X) close button at top left. Clicking it deleted the quoted text.

I have never seen this before. I then tried quote-replying to other emails and did not get that feature. Tried replying to the same email again (nothing fancy, no attachments) and there it was. Now today it doesn't happen!

Has anyone seen this? Did some bug accidentally enable a feature that was disabled by Apple?

It's nothing terribly useful, but it's very polished and certainly seemed intentional.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: (X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mail? - 11/07/08 09:57 AM

I just had that happen to me yesterday for the first time. I'd copied from a web page and pasted onto the email message. It sorta weirded me out.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: (X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mai - 11/07/08 11:00 AM

Yep, it started happening to me a couple months ago.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: (X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mail? - 11/07/08 11:03 AM

It has been there for a long time. If you use Safari and want to email a page you are viewing to a friend, hit "command" "i" and the page will be in a "Mail" new document. The page is fully HTML like in Safari.

But if you have mail set up for RTF instead of HTML it doesn't work.

In fact, if I just want RTF, after making the new Mail doc with HTML web page, I just change the document to RTF and most of the garbage, except the text, goes away. I have some stuff left to delete but for my friends still on modems appreciate getting a 'lighter' email smile

Re: (X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mail? - 11/07/08 11:42 AM

I see--so that particular email (if I coudl find it again) must have been HTML formatted? But when I quote known HTML email messages (like Apple's weekly ones) they don't get that (X).
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: (X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mail? - 11/07/08 01:45 PM

That's right. A page may have several of those boxes with circled x in upper left-hand corner. I'm no HTML expert, but to me it looks like tables or cels or some new stuff I don't even know about.

This forum at the top of view source has this code
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr">
<head>

I wrote HTML at the earliest stages of development and never even heard of that stuff.

Look at all these circle x on the forum page I can send to a friend. There are probably more. Clicking on one will delete that boxed in area the circle x controls.

Experiment with practically any web page in Safari and using Mail prog. Send it to yourself or a friend. smile

Re: (X) Close button on quoted text in Leopard Mai - 11/07/08 05:03 PM

Bizarre. Mail.app has a feature for easy deletion of parts of forwarded web pages... as an alternative to the delete key that works for ALL content?

HTML emails don't seem to consistently behave this way--but maybe forwarded HTML pages do. (EDIT: Nope, I can't get it to happen even with pages mailed from Safari.)

Harmless but weird!