Blue Ray firmware update...

Posted by: Jashue

Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/13/08 05:04 PM

Last night I rented a Blue Ray disc from Blockbuster to help to justify the purchase of the player (frankly, my ATV has been more than satisfactory for my entertainment needs). When I began to play the disc, it loaded up and within a few seconds the player shut itself off and restarted! This happened repeatedly and after observing that the only Blue Ray disc I own played okay-- I figured that there was something wrong with the one I rented so I returned it to Blockbuster-- where it promptly loaded up and played in PS3 that they had in the store....<br><br>Sigh...<br><br>The kid that was helping me had no ideas, but kindly credited my account. Now tonight I see a little googleing has revealed that the issue lies with the model number of my player-- a Sony BDP S300. Its firmware needs to be updated.<br><br>Trouble is-- the download is for Windows only!<br><br>Does anyone have any advice?<br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/13/08 07:01 PM

Update: I called Sony customer service and was assure that I'd have a firmware CD within 7-10 business days! That's cool, I guess. But it would have been more cool to have the ability to D/L the update myself <br><br>
Posted by: SmilesLots

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/14/08 04:16 AM

I had the same problem with my BDP-S1. SO I downloaded a trial version of CrossoverMac, installed a program to unzip the firmware update, and burned the iso image to disk using Apple's Disk Utility. After so many firmware updates I finally installed bootcamp and Windows XP in my Mac Pro and am able to take care of the firmware updates much more easily. But it was a pain for sure.<br><br>Stuff
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/14/08 02:45 PM

Hmmm... that's interesting to know. I was researching the Sony BDP S300 and S350 are supposed to be pretty kick-ass compared to previous models.<br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/14/08 03:42 PM

I don't know why they don't just post the iso file that extracts from their downloadable exe, or just zip the iso so anyone can extract the iso and burn it. I'm surprised as Sony is highly rated for service.<br><br>DiskUtility or Toast can burn an iso to CD or DVD, then you pop the disc made from the iso file into your player.<br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: MrB

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/15/08 04:56 PM

after reccommendations hear and elsewhere, I got the PS3 to just play video. ON instaliation, It updated the firmware. I supppse I am glad I got the player instead of just a BD player.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/15/08 07:34 PM

Hey MrB, check this out:<br><br>Medialink for PS3<br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>
Posted by: SacredBovine

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 01:30 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>after reccommendations hear and elsewhere, I got the PS3 to just play video. ON instaliation, It updated the firmware. I supppse I am glad I got the player instead of just a BD player.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm guessing that you weren't an English teacher Mr B. <br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 01:35 AM

In spite of poor grammar, last Saturday, I sliced open my right thumb, which has thrown off my typing rhythm especially my ability to press the space-bar.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SacredBovine

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 02:25 AM

Actually the space bar stuff was quite good really. It was mostly spelling and grammar that stood out. <br><br>I imagine your math skills are somewhat superior to your English skills...<br><br>But only you can say for sure.<br><br>Hope the thumb is healing nicely Mr B. <br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 04:15 AM

Well, after backspacing and otherwise adjusting my typing, I just didn't spend time on those things and I didn't spellcheck<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 07:19 AM

When I was buying a Blue Ray player the kid that was assisting me told me that I should forgo a stand alone player in favor of the PS3. He mentioned that it loaded faster and that you had the bonus factor of acually being able to play games.<br><br>That's when a flag went up in my mind... Mr B, you have no idea how much time I'm capable of wasting. I do declare that I'm a genius in that capacity. If I got a game console it would be all over! <br><br>When I wond up buying the machine I did, I got the feeling that the kid thought I was being pig-headed. I thought I was just being wise.<br><br>I might be the only person in the U.S. my age that has never had a game console. Ever. Never had a Nintendo as a kid. Never had Atari. But I probably spent a hundred dollars worth of quarters at 7-11 playing Asteroids Deluxe. I was the master of that game. And if my passion for that is any indication it's probably a good idea that I never got a console!<br><br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jashue on 10/16/08 07:36 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 08:25 AM

When, I bought my unit last month, I went to the list of games they had for it. I couldn't find any that I really wanted to play. I gave my son in law a project to find two that I would like. He found "Monopoly" which is not out yet I think and a golf game. We rented the golf game and played it for a while that last night before I started having problems. It was enjoyable. It was the one with graphic characters and not the ones that have an overly buffed up Tiger Woods. <br><br>I would like the game I played and the Monopoly. I don't want games that are too complicated because I don't want the great learning curve. <br><br>I might rent some to check them out sometime. <br><br>What I have found with my PS3 playing movies in Blu-Ray is that I am not all that impressed. I think the IQ of the reg DVDs played on my upconverting Pioneer player look as good as the BD ones. BDs have more capable sound but the disks don't have that on them but only 5.1 surround. I also don't get into the extra features much. <br><br>AS for extra features, When DVDs first came out they had the bios of the cast members which I found to be interesting. But they don't have those anymore, even on BD.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 04:19 PM

So you are saying that Blu-ray doesn't look anybetter than upscaled DVDs??<br><br>There has got to be something wrong. The blu-rays I've seen in stores looked waaay better than DVDs.<br>You might have movies that are older movies that don't translate well to BD. If so, try a blockbuster that has been released within the last couple of years.<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 04:36 PM

I have the Sony BDP S300 and the PS3.<br>The load time on the PS3 is extremely fast compared to the Sony BDP S300.<br>The HD picture quality on the PS3 is fair as well as the 5.1 sound.<br>The Sony BDP S300 picture quality is outstanding and the 5.1 sound rocks<br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 07:20 PM

Yes, I am saying that for most of the BD and reg DVDs I have rented there is not much difference in the IQ. There might be some but not for the price difference: Over $400 for the PS3 from a upscaling player and the price of the BD disks are more at my block busters. The sound is better if the sound is 7.1 but not so much more for the 5.1. <br><br>also, I have the extra PS3 movie remote and the ergonomics of it is much worse than the remote for my Pioneer upscaling player. <br><br>Block buster is jsut getting BDs in the store so the selection is not good. What they are doing is that when they get the reg DVDs in they also get the BD version so it will increase. Most of the BDs are from older movies that were not shot on HD cameras. Some are way old, like the Godfather series and others. <br><br>Not giving up on BD but just my observations so far<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/16/08 09:16 PM

I have the Sony BDP S300 and the PS3.<br>The load time on the PS3 is extremely fast compared to the Sony BDP S300.<br>The HD picture quality on the PS3 is fair as well as the 5.1 sound.<br>The Sony BDP S300 picture quality is outstanding and the 5.1 sound rocks<br><br><br>Thanks Swatty. I was going to go with the PS3... but from your post and what Mr B. is describing, I'm going to hafta rethink it.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/17/08 03:03 AM

I still would recommend the Ps3 as a BD player the capabilities of the Ps3 as for game play and graphics are amazing I was shocked to see Metal Gear Solid 4 truly astounding.<br>The Ps3 is upgradeable I installed a 250 gig hard drive which took about 15 minutes the chipset in the Ps3 will format the new hard drive and install the Ps3 software.<br>Add Media Link and you can access your mac to play movies or listen to music,pictures.<br>Upscale on the Ps3 it is hard to distinguish between HD and standard definition.<br>The Sony BSD 300 does a great job but is extremely slow loading BD movies.<br>I have both units hooked up to my Samsung DLP 60 inch along with DTV through HDMI ports I do find myself using the PS3 more for watching BD movies.<br><br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/17/08 03:08 AM

Thanks MrB I changed my settings to 7.1 the surround sound did improve.<br>I have rented some older movies in BD and the quality was terrible. <br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/17/08 05:20 AM

Thanks.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/17/08 08:55 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I still would recommend the Ps3 as a BD player the capabilities of the Ps3 as for game play and graphics are amazing I was shocked to see Metal Gear Solid 4 truly astounding.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Exactly. For $400 you get so much more than the capacity to watch movies. And trust me, unless you're a complete nitpicker when it comes to your sound, you'll be completely satisfied with the purchase.<br><br>And just the other day, the firmware just got upgraded so that the PS3's internet browser can now watch video clips on Hulu! <br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/17/08 11:22 AM

I tried the Ps3 browser and it really sucked I will run the Ps3 update later this afternoon and check out the browser.<br>Thanks Pete<br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/17/08 01:34 PM

I've found a piece of software I'm going to buy. ...sucks that it's PC only, but I have a reason to run my VMWare Fusion now. It's called PlayOn from MediaMall.<br><br>http://themediamall.com/playon<br><br>It streams Hulu (full screen, unlike the new PS3 browser), Netflix, Youtube, ESPN, CBS, etc all to your PS3 (or XBOX360)<br><br>I can tell you now that with the new Starz content added to Netflix's Watch Now library I'll never even think about subscribing to cable. I'm watching something from Hulo or Netflix nightly. The above plugin makes it very enjoyable.<br><br>If you have a decent PC you can download a free trial. I highly suggest people look into it. It's great!<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/19/08 05:28 PM

Actually, you don't need Windows, though I use Windows in VMWare to download it.<br><br>When you get the file, you can create a CD with it using Toast and then it will work to update the Firmware of the BDP300. <br><br>THe problem with the BDP300 is that some Blu-ray discs are not likely to be compatible with it. Dan In Real Life isn't. But most of them will at least play the movie, even if they don't play the extras. But not Dan In Real Life. That was some kind of java thing. <br><br>I don't think the BDP300 will ever be 2.0 compliant. I'm giving mine to my dad. I got a PS3 so I would have the most upgradeable Blu-ray player around.<br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/21/08 07:59 PM

If you are not using an HDMI cable, you may not see any difference<br><br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/21/08 11:56 PM

I watched Indiana Jones, the Chrystal Skull, yesterday, great sound effects. It had airplanes flying across the room etc. Plot was just okay but IQ and sound was great.<br><br>I use HDMI.<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/22/08 12:59 AM

IQ?<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/22/08 04:57 AM

Image Quality<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/22/08 08:16 AM

Off topic ...but those of you who have a PS3 and a PSN account feel free to add me to your friend list. (zweiosx)<br><br>Right now the only thing I am playing online is WipeoutHD ...but I've preordered LittleBIGPlant and plan to play that quite heavily. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/22/08 10:44 AM

I'll add you the next time I log on.. I'm playing a lot of GTA IV right now, so if you have that I'll be happy to jump online and plug you full of holes.. <br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/22/08 11:08 AM

Never got GTA4 ...actually, LBP is going to be the first game I've actually bought for it that wasn't from the PSN store. WipeoutHD is awesome. Very challenging.<br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/22/08 05:25 PM

Cool, I'll check you out. Can't remember my PSN name. But I'll find you. I've been thinking about getting WipeoutHD. <br><br>Have been looking for you on ETQW. It's been quite fun. In fact, I think I like it more than the Mac version of COD4 multiplayer. But it's growing on me too.<br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/23/08 06:35 AM

Anyone wanna buy my ETQW. Played it 5-6 times and it's just not my style, plus COD eats all my gaming time. $35.00 takes it.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Blue Ray firmware update... - 10/23/08 10:17 AM

I like ETQW a lot ...unfortunately most of my clan members won't jump in and play it so it's taken the back seat to Wolf:ET again. I'll have to hop back on sometime.<br><br>zweisoft<br>