Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack

Posted by: Anonymous

Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/06/01 02:19 PM

OK, am I cheap or what? At the last MacHack, Woz himself released a hack that made the trash (under Classic) act in a way that I feel is more intuitive. When you drop a removeable disk in the trash it gives you the option of ejecting or formatting. <br><br>Call me a UI fanatic, but that seems to be a step in the right direction.<br><br>So - how can I get this bit of software without buying a (pretty cheap) $20 CD for one tiny bit of software? I have not been able to find something like that at VersionTracker, likely Steve W never bothered to submit it. <br><br>Again, forgive my reluctance to support a noble and worthy cause such as MacHack in this instance by asking about the software. I hope they aren't mad at me for asking if it was freely available (yes I looked on woz.org).<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/06/01 07:18 PM

What else would be nice under classic (you may be able to do this in OS X, I don't know) is use the eject command on net volumes. Instead, I have to reach my finger over to "Y" every time, and I rather would just use "E".<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/06/01 08:18 PM

Why don't you just resedit comand/shift/E or something to erase?<br><br>Not as elegant, true, but when I drag that sucker to trash (which I rarely do) I want it to eject.<br><br>Wouldn't slow you down that way. Personally I hate options. And I'm so lazy I'll hit the arrow key until it highlights the volume I want erased/ejected anyway. ;)<br><br>OTOH, I so rarely erase anything anymore why do I need command/shift/E?<br><br>Do have a Zip 250 in tower but only use one piece of media..... for a startup disk with all utilities on it. Have maybe two dozen of those blank suckers.<br><br>(Obviously at this time of nite my mind starts to wander.)<br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/07/01 07:20 AM

You cannot add "shift" to a command via "ResEdit". Yea, it sucks.<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/07/01 10:43 AM

Details, details, details, details........ :)<br><br>How about command-Z?<br><br>I used to use that for something, but forget what. Now command-B was restart, comand-........ (I never was very original.....often used command-T for empty Trash like everyone else in the universe.....but what the heck, it worked.....) :)<br><br>Actually, what about F12...... smile :)<br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/07/01 12:02 PM

I actually use "F12" to show/hide my Extension Strips.<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/07/01 08:29 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I actually use "F12" to show/hide my Extension Strips.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Wouldn't work with the Apple Extended Keyboard II I bought in 1994 (ADB + iMate) that I use with my G4 DP Tower. F12 ejects the CD drive and I don't think it can be reassigned. :P<br><br>(gimme a break!) :)<br><br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 08:45 AM

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I use F12 on my iBook (the highest "F" key), otherwise, on my iMac, I use F15.<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 09:43 AM

No problem. I understood your meaning. My comment about using F12 was a bit sarcastic. :)<br><br>What you need is an Apple Extended II keyboard. Best keyboard ever invented for any computer. They only cost about $180. when discontinued.<br><br>I have about five or six in storage. Can't give them away anymore. I believe once in a while someone advertises one on eBay and they sell for twenty or thirty dollars, but shipping is $10. plus.<br><br>Grand old keyboards. Of course they're ADB, however, hence the need for an iMate ($40.??). I also have an Apple Pro which I merely have to plug in to my 7-port USB hub, unplugging the iMate at the same time, if I have a special need or problem on restart (or want to do something really dumb like hack the firm ware). :)<br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 10:02 AM

I did something very interesting with two pro keyboards.<br><br>I was ordering some for stock at work, but appleorder sucks, and so I got 3 spanish pro keyboards. I was looking at the keys, and said to myself "hey, there are some cool looking keys on here". So, I popped off some of the "cool" keys, and swapped them with my english pro keyboard. Now it's awsome. I may take a picture of it some day, and then I could show you. My favorite it the page up/down keys. It's a wierd looking arrow. Very nice.<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 04:38 PM

post em soon b... that'll be cool to see...<br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 06:03 PM

Seems to me I saw a Pro Keyboard for French, but twas long ago, that had some odd keys. Same as what you're referring to maybe? I don't recall. Been too long.<br><br>My beef with the Pro (and old type USB) is "spongy" feel. The older ADB keyboards, especially Extended II, all seem to me to have better feel to them.<br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 07:31 PM

Yea, as soon as my lazy ass gets out and gets a camera.<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/08/01 07:31 PM

Actually, that's the part I like best about the Pro keyboard, the "sopngyness" of the keys. :-)<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/09/01 09:33 AM

Hmmm.... it occurs to me that "sticky" or "mushy" (mushi? mooshie?) might also be suitable.<br><br>Once upon a time daughter spilled major contents (large or xtra large, whatever; was large enough) of a Dr. Pepper on her standard USB keyboard. Used tried and true method of 1. soak in bathtub (period of time varies; it's not wholly intuitive) 2. shake and air dry (also not intuitive; lean into it; 2-3 days recommended).<br><br>Tried and true? Have had past experience. But this tale involves my daughter and her family.<br><br>This summer her young sons presented a new challenge to her Pro USB keyboard then in use, forcing jello (strawberry or cherry; it was red; am not certain of relevance of flavor; raspberry?) into the crevices aka cracks of same with their spoons.<br><br>I personally thought use of the spoons was rather clever to force larger quantity between the keys. Grandparents are like that. Proud of all accomplishments of their grand kids.<br><br>Disassembly of keyboard suggested amazing skill with spoons, likely through use of rounded bottoms. Methodology employed wasn't discussed with grandsons as I recall. <br><br>(Did I mention the bananas in jello; dunno if that's a factor or not considering adept use of the spoons to squash same.)<br><br>Garden hose plus soaking in bathtub seemed advisable. Ah, the sometimes impatience of youth. Perhaps the water pressure of hose was too high. Or perhaps it was the hair dryer employed instead of air dry. Hard to say.<br><br>Conclusions. Possibly "mushiness" is best term for the USB keyboard models. With or without bananas in (red) jello.<br><br>It's possible fresh cup of hot coffee solves this attribute of USB keyboard. Don't know. Have no experience in spilling cup of hot coffee on keyboard. Qualification. A USB keyboard.<br><br>(Squashiness?)<br><br>

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/09/01 10:31 AM

Once I spilled an ENTIRE cup of ramen noodle onto my co-worker's PC keyboard. :-)<br><br>Cleaned with hot water under sink, air dried with pressure hose, then let it dry some more. Plugged into PC, started PC up, and got a "keyboard error" @ starup. LOL<br><br>Oh well, just gave him a new keyboard, put the other into storage for some1 else.<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com
Posted by: jeffhot

Re: Woz MacHack Trash/Eject Hack - 11/12/01 12:51 AM

Command-Z is undo in most applications. I wouldn't recommend using that for any new keystrokes, unless you don't make mistakes of course.<br><br>