Eject Disk

Posted by: Anonymous

Eject Disk - 05/24/01 09:57 AM

I do a lot of support for friend's Macs and one thing I do for them all (this is OS 9 and below only!) is to put an alias for the Trash on the desktop, near the hard drive icon. I have a couple of nice disk icons and I make the new Trash alias's icon a disk, and rename it Eject Disk.<br><br>Now people dump stuff that they no longer want into the Trash, and use Eject Disk to eject disks. No more hesitation about putting disks full of important information into the Trash.<br><br>X has a tweak for this, when you put a disk into the trash there is an indication that you are ejecting it. But for OS 9, this is a good use of (normally very precious) desktop space.<br><br>Opinions???<br><br>
Posted by: Alex

Re: Eject Disk - 05/24/01 06:36 PM

BRILLIANT!! I've been a Mac user and "local support friend" for years, and this is the first time I've ever seen this trick. Definitely wins my award! (um... that may be "Coolest Simplest Safest Friendliest Most-Environmentally-Friendly Mac OS Tweak Of The Decade" or something...)<br><br>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Eject Disk - 05/25/01 12:28 AM

I'm with Alex on this one -- it's one of the best tips I have seen in a looong time. Thanks Charles!<br><br>

Re: Eject Disk - 05/25/01 07:36 AM

Blush!<br><br>
Posted by: NeilMac

Re: Eject Disk - 05/25/01 11:03 AM

Neat solution but isn't it easier to simply highlight the disk then keystroke Apple-E? Works for me.<br><br>

Re: Eject Disk - 05/25/01 01:42 PM

Neil (?) -<br><br>Actually it is a lot easier and faster to do many things from the keyboard (saves moving your hands among other things) but the whole idea of a GUI is that it is usable without training. Without re-writing a book about how to design a "Humane Interface" - if you can give people an interface that does not require training, remembering arcane key combinations (all key combos are arcane to someone!), etc you will give them a system that will allow them to create and not cripple them with trying to remember how to use the computer (etc).<br><br>The beauty of this little idea (basically modified from the ideas of others of course!) is that you can figure out the use of the icon by just looking at it. I never have to tell anyone what it is for - they just know.<br><br>The beauty of this idea is in it's simplicity.<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: apple y - 05/25/01 06:46 PM

y (why) do I use apple/command "y"?<br><br>when you said apple e, i thought "hey that is wrong". i looked and my sys 9.0.4 says "e" for eject disk.<br><br>hmmmmmmmm<br><br>* * * * * * * * ** * * *<br>Kate<br>

Re: Eject Disk - 05/25/01 07:46 PM

ti htiw enod eb dna hsart eht ot ti gard tsuj ...zeej ...gnihtemos gnissim saw i fi ees ot eciwt ti daer ot dah i !yrros ! fo draeh reve i pit tsebmud eht si taht yas ot evah i<br><br>¥À¥

Re: Eject Disk - 05/26/01 01:31 AM

Point taken Charles and the GUI is one of the many reasons why I'm a Mac person, but while the keyboard/mouse are an integral part of the user/Mac interface (bloody hell, this is a bit heavy for a Saturday morning) it makes sense to use them both.<br><br>

Re: apple y - 05/26/01 01:37 AM

You really should consider moving up to OS9.1. Despite the fact that I'm using a Rev B iMac, 9.1 has brought a considerable speed increase and the stability is astonishing. The downside is that it uses 62 meg of RAM, but this is still a pittance compared to OSX!<br><br>Keep on chatting…<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

9.1 - 05/26/01 08:20 AM

I plan to move up as soon as my DSL is activated. I'm on a 33 modem now and too slow downloading stuff. June 1 is activation day. I've waited 2 months.<br><br>* * * * * * * * ** * * *<br>Kate<br>

Re: 9.1 - 05/26/01 09:16 AM

You have my sympathy. I went broadband a couple of months ago when it was finally made available for long-suffering home Mac-users in the UK!<br><br>

Re: 9.1 - 05/26/01 10:59 AM

Neil is the real deal... 9.1 and broadband are the only way to go, that is, if those are even options for you... some people have some softwares (though i can't remember which those are) that are broken by 9.1 and not everyone can get broadband in their area. but 9.1 is by far and away the best, it even clobbers 9.04 badly and 9.1 is soooo stable. a dream.<br><br>¥À¥