X-Plane

Posted by: Clark

X-Plane - 08/30/08 09:04 PM

Pretty neat video. Not mine!<br><br><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WPy4JQ6FjE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WPy4JQ6FjE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: X-Plane - 08/30/08 09:22 PM

It's a pretty mind-boggling program for sure!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 04:54 AM

I tried installing the Demo, apparently it doesn't like the HD4850.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 07:18 AM

What happens?<br><br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 07:22 AM

I fixed it.<br><br>The installer would simply quit. Crash log pointed to atioglxx.dll (the ati opengl driver).<br><br>I downloaded an older version and swapped them. Then the installer started right up.<br><br>Strange, I found people saying the update to Catalyst 8.8 fixed problems with that driver but it didn't help me. When the game installs I'll swap the drivers back and see if the game launches with the latest driver or not.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 08:19 AM

Still downloading and installing.<br><br>Is there a timedemo you can run to gauge performance?<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 10:38 AM

I'm not totally sure what you mean.<br>In the "Rendering Options" menu I am running X-Plane at "Extreme Res" and the Anti-aliasing level is set to "4x(hardcore)"<br>Then go to "Data Input and Output" and check the last box of "Frame Rate."<br>Now you will be able to see your frame rate in the upper left-hand corner.<br><br>My frame rate with the Cirrus Jet is 38 to 43 fps.<br><br>I'm not sure if that is what you asked.<br><br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 12:35 PM

With Quake there was a small fly-by demo in the beginning that everyone used as a benchmark for FPS. I think that's what Sarge is referring to...<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 02:30 PM

Oh, okay.<br>I've never tried it. Never even heard of it before.<br>I found what they call a "framerate test."<br>It doesn't sound fun. You have to use the command line (I think).<br>It also sounds like it it more for developers than for consumers.<br>I was going to type out the command-line options for X-Plane but I would suggest not doing it. <br>The command-line options were for X-Plane v8.50. Do they work for X-Plane v9?<br>http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=27602<br>http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=22302&st=0<br>http://xplanescenery.blogspot.com/2006/10/howto-use-command-line-options-in-x.html<br><br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 05:19 PM

I can't get the darn thing running, I think it's still due to Open GL issues.<br><br>It won't start at all if I have the latest OGL driver. Reverting back to the older driver it installed, and it acts like it's starting up but then dumps. The progress bar gets about 1/3 through, and as soon as it says "Finished region" or something like that the program dumps.<br><br>Bah. <br><br>So far this is the only game I've had any iota of trouble with.<br><br>BTW, how is that 8800 running? I've been reading of a lot of the nVidia GPUs taking a crap, even the new 260 and 280's. Kind of scary.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: X-Plane - 08/31/08 08:08 PM

That's strange.<br>Sorry, I don't know how help you. <br>My suggestion would be to join the forum at x-plane.org and ask them what the problem is.<br><br>My 8800GT runs absolutely fine. <br>It's nice and quiet. <br>At extreme resolution I am getting a nice smooth frame rate so I can't complain at all.<br><br>I see complaints that the 8800GT's driver isn't optimized for Mac pro applications. <br>It's doing well enough for me.<br><br>Some people love the 3870. Some people think it is too noisy.<br><br>You are always going to have complainers. And the complainers are the ones who are always the most vocal.<br>Me, I'm just sitting back, having a good time. <br><br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 09/01/08 05:36 AM

I've searched around there and other places. I don't know if it's because I'm running 64-bit or if it's the ATi OpenGL. I've read at least a few posts stating they were running it on x64, so I'm leaning towards ATi.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: X-Plane - 09/12/08 10:11 PM

No joke: X-Plane for iPhone!<br><br>http://toucharcade.com/2008/09/13/flight-simulator-x-plane-lands-on-the-iphone/<br><br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: carp

Re: X-Plane - 09/12/08 10:56 PM

Holy shiit - with the accelerometers in the iPhone and touch , would be very compelling in deed . Not sure how you would do the other controls buttons , knobs , navigation but flying would be a breeze<br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 09/12/08 11:47 PM

It's something of a stripped-down novelty, I'm sure. According to the official site, it's limited to 4 aircraft and the demo area (which is some part of the Wester US IIRC?), and they say the flight physics model "only" has 95% of the full versions's accuracy.<br><br>But I look forward to reviews--all I do with X-Plane is play with the demo anyway. Could be fun on my phone!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: X-Plane - 09/13/08 04:51 AM

I guess it's a good thing for Austin Meyers and Apple.<br>I don't have an iPhone of iPod Touch so...<br><br>Austin says, "This is fun little mini-version of X-Plane that lets you fly 4 planes around the X-Plane demo area! The flight physics of the iPhone are actually about 95% as good as the physics in X-Plane, and the scenery is even pretty decent! You TILT the phone to fly! It is so cool that it is ridiculous."<br><br>Here is what a couple other people are saying:<br><br>"It works, it's possible to fly a little circuit and land.... It's no replacement for the fully fledged thing, but aye carumba, is that cool. Appears to be based around LOWI and allows for four aircraft (Cessna Vision, Piaggio Avanti, 172 and... Lancair I think). You control flight with tilt and pitch off the iPhone, with a throttle bar slider to the left and a flap slider to the right. At the bottom are two buttons, gear and brakes. A tap on the screen brings up an overlay at the top allowing you to change viewpoint (HUD, circle, chase, view towards the nose) and a link the options panel where you can change weather, situations and other options that I have yet to delve into.<br><br>It's not X-Plane 9 per se, but it all feels VERY X-Planey. Most awesome. Think this will be getting some use on the train tomorrow.<br>Prepare people, this will push lots of iPhone sim junkies to the fully-fledged X-Plane I'd warrant. Prepare for immigration!"<br><br>"Goodbye productivity. . ."<br><br>"Too cool! I'm having a blast playing around with it!"<br><br>"Austin knocked that one out of the park"<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 09/13/08 07:46 AM

Cool! I may have to try it.<br><br>I suppose it uses all 3 axes of phone tilt, for stick and rudder?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: X-Plane - 09/13/08 08:03 AM

You would have a better guess than I do.<br>Enjoy.<br><br>[color:blue]"Raised on a small farm in the north Atlantic, Nagromme was taught to face hardship from a young age. Then, one fateful day in 1903, a rodeo clown knocked on the family's crude duct tape door, and his world was changed forever."</font color=blue><br><br>You are older than I am and I am older than Israel. <br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 09/13/08 11:33 AM

It's been a crazy century--I'm just glad I lived to see this day! Pocket flight simulation!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: margadagio

Re: X-Plane - 09/13/08 03:32 PM

"but flying would be a breeze"<br> <br>You need to give me flying lessons. Steve, I think I'll need to hide my iPhone from you when you see this. <br><br>Hey guys, this iPhone app is way cool. I haven't a clue what I'm doing. My take offs into the side of the mountain weren't so cool but once airborne it is a hoot.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: X-Plane - 09/13/08 08:28 PM

LOL<br><br>I can see the next Airplane IV movie - passengers grab their iTouchs to control the crashing airplane <br><br>

Re: X-Plane - 09/14/08 07:32 AM

You've got an iPhone and X-Plane, Marg?<br>You are way cooler than I am.<br><br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: X-Plane - 09/15/08 05:13 AM

"Raised on a small farm in the north Atlantic..."<br><br>Was that a fish farm, then? I suppose it was the pressure differential in the domes that made the duct tape good enough for a door <br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>