Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix

Posted by: Anonymous

Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 10/29/01 08:30 PM

Rodent a bit slow when set to maximum speed?<br><br>You need to edit the file:<br><br>/Users/your_name/Library/Preerences/.GlobalPreferences.plist<br><br>Note: This is an invisible file. To edit it with BBEdit 6.1.2, for example, select "Open Hidden" from the File Menu.<br><br>Once you have that file open scroll down to:<br><br><key>com.apple.mouse.scaling</key><br><br>There will be a number, probably set at 1.7 (with a bunch of zeros after it).<br><br> Set that number to whatever you want (be careful, 4.5 to 5.5 is probably adequate). I prefer 5.5 but that is a little fast for some people. Edit will look like, ex., 5.500000000etc.<br><br><br>Quit/Save file<br><br><br>Now to get the mouse to actually start moving faster, open up the Mouse Preferences in System Preferences and close it without making any changes. Voila.<br><br>Do not adjust any settings in the mouse preferences in future, otherwise you'll have to do this all over again.<br><br><br>(Stolen from a post on Ars Technica.)<br><br>(Microsoft free)<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 10/30/01 05:00 AM

you know what really make X hard to use? no mouse acceleration... figure out to turn that on...<br><br>thanks <br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 10/30/01 04:01 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> <br>you know what really make X hard to use? no mouse acceleration... figure out to turn that on...<br><br>thanks<p><hr></blockquote><p>Life is good. <br><br>Lowered my speed to 5.3 this a.m. (just a touch) and feel very comfortable with it there.<br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/02/01 04:34 AM

Interesting observation.<br><br>By adjusting the "scaling" property like you've suggested 128K, you are adjusting the "mouse accelleration" not just the tracking speed. <br><br>I've been playing with my mouse quite a bit to make sure that I'm write. This setting really affects the accelleration...<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/03/01 04:02 AM

Sounds good to me. I've been struggling with "scaling" since day 1 with hack.<br><br>That's why I was using still using "speed" with second post.<br><br>Think that makes me the middle man. I only found the idea that works and you explained it. :)<br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/03/01 04:16 AM

very true... and I greatly appreciate it....<br><br>now all I need is for someone to write the M$ Intellimouse Drivers.... so I get the use of the extra buttons back... I've got to hand it to Kensington for getting their X drivers out promptly...<br><br><br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/03/01 03:03 PM

Presumably you are referring to the Explorer (I get confused about "Intellimouse" and "Intellipoint") and/or Wheelmouse.<br><br>My experience is that both the Microsoft rodents have right buttons that also work with default control-click and that scroll button works. Don't recall if Kensington scroll button works without driver. (Am presently using the Apple Pro and can't find my Kensington.)<br><br>(It's been several weeks since I used the two MS models with 10.1. I used the two-button WheelMouse for several days, but used the Explorer for several hours because never have particularly liked its "feel," so take my comments with limited experience and/or passage of time as qualified.)<br><br>signed....an obvious mouse freak because you name it and I've foolishly bought one. ;)<br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/04/01 06:37 PM

heh... yes, I'm refering to the Intellimouse Explorer (the first revision) and the two of the buttons and the scroll mouse work fine. It's the other two buttons that I wish worked really badly. I've grown so accustomed to them, it's like having my left hand chopped off to not have them (the buttons) available... or worse, to click them - then expect something to happen - and not have them working....<br><br>oh well, it's small potatos compared to the 8GB of data I just lost ... see iTunes2 post...<br><br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/04/01 07:15 PM

OMFG! That sucks John! I have always said to everyone "always back up EVERYTHING onto a seperate HD". I know that in this situation that even your backup HD coulda got erased, but I have an HD devoted ONLY to backup (& to boot from when doing optimzation). And thusforth, it is usually off, and never in harms way (software wise). I keep apps & docs backup on the fly, while I backup my ENTIRE system about every 2 weeks. :-)<br><br>As for your lost mouse buttons, just wait for USB Overdrive OS X version to come out!!!! YEA!<br><br>--John Bailey( [color:red]Bdog</font color=red> )<br><br>Email Me ---> bdog_111@yahoo.com

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/04/01 07:20 PM

Consider yourself lucky your Explorer works at all (the big gray beast with the buttons on the side). I'm on my third one.<br><br>The first two died after a month or so. After tracking down an 800 number for Microsoft sales I discovered they are nice enough to mail out a freebie replacement. With the second replacement they didn't even want the original mailed back.<br><br>I feel awkward, Microsoft basher that I am, to admit to even using both models. The "WheelMouse" is basically like the standard two button model and is shaped exactly like the fairly common (forget name!) standard mouse with ball that ships with many Peecees.<br><br>As a matter of fact that el cheapo ball mouse with two buttons and scroll wheel will work with same (free download) Microsoft software (same software as Explorer; you wind up with two different Pref files & etc.).<br><br>Yep, stranger than fiction. Your one button Mac just loves the $12.00 Microsoft mouse/traditional ball.<br><br>Going off to hide my face for using both Micro$loth rodents for Macs......<br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 11/04/01 07:27 PM

I do daily backups, Retrospect scripts, of my two ATA drives and two SCSI drives with two FireWire drives. Quick. Inexpensive (in terms of hardware/media investment).<br><br>Usually takes no more than five minutes to backup about 60GB of OS/apps/data. Of course Mac OS X backups are not presently accurate. There appear to be some low level drive issues that aren't settled, hence no Retrospect X, Norton X, Tech Tool Pro X, Disk Warrior X, etc. etc.<br><br>Only utility I'll even consider using on OS X drive is Disk Warrior 2.1. It works. Norton and TTP I don't trust except on my OS9 drives (the other three). I have reasons. Long story.<br><br>Highly recommended method of backup, i.e., FW drives.<br><br><br>

Re: Slow Mouse OS X 10.1 Fix - 02/26/02 04:52 AM

Slow mouse fix? Get USB Overdrive. It actually makes OSX somewhat usable... moreso than by default, anyway.<br><br>