OLD Mac Games

Posted by: DLC

OLD Mac Games - 08/02/08 05:44 PM

I had a few minutes to kill the other day in Lab and I had my old Apple Laptop 180 open recording some data... yep spreadsheet still good for archiving daily results.... and it's right by the microscope and has a small foot print.<br><br>Anyway was looking on the HD and LO and behold there was Armor Alley . Fired that up and played for 10-15 min... STILL addictive !!<br><br>WHY hasn't someone rewritten that for OS X? ... and maybe added some new twists? Back in the 1990s, I was entertained for hours playing that SIMPLE game. Great time killer. The other game I had on there to pass a few minutes was Dalecks<br><br>anyone have any other OLD favorites ?<br><br>I see they're coming out with an updated Pirates (Sid Meir) another old favorite !<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/02/08 07:37 PM

Dark Castle!<br><br>There's a beta port for X, but I think it's not final yet.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: andybloom

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 12:14 AM

Lode Runner was the best fun ever. The Legend Returns wore out the keys on my Duo.<br>Infotron was also a goodie but more difficult as it progressed.<br>Have a look at Macintosh Garden @ http://209.120.136.205 for all the old favourites.<br><br>

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 06:46 AM

Oh man you both have great ones... Dark Castle which they're re-releasing... and LodeRunner... loved them Both !!<br>Why hasn't some game company updated these ? they'd still be fun !!<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 08:09 AM

XBOX360 Live Arcade are just about to release a new 3D-version of LodeRunner and the screenshots look fantastic. Bit of the old, some of the new. <br>GT Interactive did produce an isometric grid-style version called Lode Runner 2 in the 1990's for Mac and it was a complete dog... half-way between 2 and 3-D but not quite either.<br><br>Have a look a Infotron at the MacIntosh Garden... I could not stop playing it when I first discovered it about five years ago.<br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 08:43 AM

I'm sure you all will laugh but I like Apeiron which has a version for Mac OSX also and Hangman which also has a X version but, they make you pay for the X version. Last but not least Scrabble which also has a X version. <br><br>Too many lives they've spent across the ocean. Too much money been spent upon the moon. Well, until they make it right, I hope they never sleep at night. They better make some changes and do it soon. -Things Goin' On/Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: markjos

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 02:46 PM

Hey I love Apeiron. But an even older favorite is Marathon. Truly a classic...<br><br>Never raise your hand to your children; it leaves your midsection unprotected.<br>~ Robert Orben (1927- )
Posted by: MrB

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 06:08 PM

I was going to say, Lode Runner also. Loved to play that on my old Apple II which is where I got addicted.<br><br>When it went to the Mac the second update it became to complicated for me to handle. I like simple<br><br>dave<br><br><br><br>

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/03/08 11:22 PM

I'd forgotten about Marathon.<br>That's also available for download for free...<br>Better than Halo methinks.<br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/04/08 05:13 AM

'AlephOne' works great on OS X!<br>I love 'Marathon'!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/04/08 04:20 PM

Hey Gang heard today that Blizzard is coming out with StarCraft II and Diablo III for the Mac !! Probably later this year... Game development is "heavily under way" !!<br><br>I loved Diablo I and II. My son and I used to team up (him on PC , me on Mac) and take on the Computer minions in StarCraft... he was much better than I was. But I saved his azz many times because when they counterattacked I was there. We had many a blast. amazing what simple networking did back then.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: OLD Mac Games - 08/04/08 07:20 PM

Blizzard actually announced the Mac versions of StarCraft II and Diablo III at the same time as the PC versions -- Blizzard has always been good in that way, World of Warcraft -- and the expansions came out for Mac at the exact same time as their PC counterparts.<br><br>Along with the two games just mentioned before, the other games I'm eagerly awaiting (and which are supposed to come out at the same time as the PC versions) are Spore and The Sims 3 from EA games.<br><br>But to come back on the original thread topic, one of the old mac games I used to play and really miss is Escape Velocity. The original one. Not Override or Nova, which followed (and I also played.) I loved EV, especially the way you could customize it with plug-ins you could download and/or easily create yourself!<br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)
Posted by: AmbrosiaSW

Re: OLD Mac Games - 11/24/08 02:01 PM

I'm not laughing. heh. Apeiron has been listed as one of the top classic games for Mac on many many sites. We do also offer a $5 upgrade to those who had the old version and want the MacOX version.

I'm hoping that one day we can bring back Slithereens, it's just something to bang away on during lunch.
Posted by: AmbrosiaSW

Re: OLD Mac Games - 11/24/08 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Piper_14
But to come back on the original thread topic, one of the old mac games I used to play and really miss is Escape Velocity. The original one. Not Override or Nova, which followed (and I also played.) I loved EV, especially the way you could customize it with plug-ins you could download and/or easily create yourself!<br><br>[

Thanks to the plug in nature of the game, EV Nova has something for you then. There is a plug-in for EV nova that allows you to play not only the original EV but EV Override. It works really well, and sort of is a 3 games in 1 idea. I'm very happy that it was made and the fans of old games can get a chance to go back and play these nostalgic titles.
Posted by: SteveS

Re: OLD Mac Games - 11/26/08 08:40 PM

Some of my favorite Mac games have been: X-Wing, F-18, A-10, Marathon series, Myth I and II, StarCraft, Sim City.

Games I'm playing now... Sky Fighters 1945, Star Wars: Empire at War, Call of Duty 4.
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: OLD Mac Games - 10/01/09 06:29 PM

Myst, Sim City
Posted by: polymerase

Re: OLD Mac Games - 10/05/09 12:02 PM

Space Invaders, Dark Castle, Lode Runner and my favorite last game I played was Glider. Played Myst but my brainy wife and son would solve the whole thing way before I could play.

I can still do a fair imitation of the crows, (mock, mock, mock mock) and the Dungeon dude whacking the guy in the head, (whoaha, woahaaaooa) from Dark Castle.

On the iPhone I enjoy Blocks or whatever it is called. Slide the blocks around until you can exit stage right. And Rag Doll. First time I am almost tempted to pay fro the upgrade. But I only play them for about ten minutes a week. Games don't suck me in like Space Invaders did on the Apple IIc back in 81.
Posted by: carp

Re: OLD Mac Games - 10/09/09 11:22 AM

Anybody remembers the old system 7 game called "The Factory" ? looked like a kids game but very challenging where you put things together on a assembly line that gets even faster at the next level .

I did a google search but nada
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: OLD Mac Games - 10/09/09 12:43 PM

Lack of mention of the Descent series (which I first played on DOS!) is a shocking oversight smile

Too bad the Descent 3 OS X port died. But there are still rumors of Decent 4....