10,000 switchers!

Posted by: margadagio

10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 11:53 AM

Axel Springer<br><br>"Axel Springer AG, one of Europe’s largest newspaper publishers, with 10,000 employees and more than 150 papers in 30 countries, including its flagship Die Welt, announced on Friday that it is switching its entire operation from Microsoft (MSFT) Windows to Mac OS X."<br><br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 12:17 PM

I wonder how many systems they are replacing? This should put a little dent in microsofts bottom line.<br><br>
Posted by: Alec_Fromm

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 12:32 PM

Actually, all their production computers are already Macs. Because of the nature of their business, I would assume Macs make up at least one half of their computer inventory, if not more.<br><br>Not to burst your bubble - it's still good news!<br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -
Posted by: carp

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 12:58 PM

Yes they do make it sound like all 10,000 will be switching. So sounds like the administration and accounting departs are switching - good idea. I could never figure out why when you walk in a newspaper agency here the creative department is all Macs walk around the corner and administration is all PC<br><br>
Posted by: Mike

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 01:04 PM

Wow...I didn't know Google was the biggest Apple customer!<br>It's interesting to listen to the reasons why the Axel Springer GmbH is doing this!<br>Among them: It's cheaper to run the Mac machines; Macs are more user-friendly and therefore more 'fun' to operate; and Macs are 'esthetically more appealing'. Actually he used the word "prettier" or 'nicer looking'...lol!<br>In addition: Macs can also run Windows XP.<br>And this was an IT decision!<br>I wonder how many other publishing companies will come to the same conclusions and make the same decision?<br><br><br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: Mike

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 01:07 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I could never figure out why when you walk in a newspaper agency here the creative department is all Macs walk around the corner and administration is all PC<p><hr></blockquote><p>Me neither! <br>Surely there must be a lot of graphics departments using Win PCs since all the software is available for both platforms.<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: carp

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 05:00 PM

[color:blue]Wow...I didn't know Google was the biggest Apple customer!</font color=blue> - Me neither I always thought it would be MS who bought 350 Macs at one crack or NASA which bought almost 300 Macs at one shot.<br><br>Here;<br><br>The only all PC publishers as far as I know is Kauai Magazine and West Hawaii Newspaper,, the other 80% is Mac mixed<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 05:12 PM

I'm not at all surprised about Google. They and Apple have a great relationship. <br><br>If you think about it, makes sense. They are both highly innovative and forward thinking. Many employees have worked at both companies. <br><br>Google is cool. Of course they use Macs. <br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 06:43 PM

Well considering that only 33 of their 10,000 PCs worked... it's a BIG step UP!! <br><br><br><br><br><br>Great News.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: 10,000 switchers! - 07/04/08 07:01 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> I could never figure out why when you walk in a newspaper agency here the creative department is all Macs walk around the corner and administration is all PC<p><hr></blockquote><p>That has been due to the lack of accounting solutions on the Mac side. With OS X that may be changing, or Google just has their own home grown solution. A lot of companies, smart ones anyway, have software that backs up off site. To streamline this process and to accommodate the computer illiterate that punch in the data, packages are sold that companies can subscribe to that do it automagically. Many times it is a program/solution tailored to the business. Mainly Linux or Windows so far.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game