ETQW problem...help

Posted by: NucleusG4

ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 06:09 AM

OK.. so I got a ETQW and installed it. Immediatley upon launch it crashes...even after a restart.<br><br>Ideas??<br><br>Is there an update? If so.. where... I can't find it.<br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 09:35 AM

Welcome to the club...<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 11:34 AM

In what way?..... <br><br>Yours crashes... or you can't find the update?<br><br>Or just welcome to the ETQW club? <br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 05:04 PM

Mine won't run, period.<br><br>I have been trying to get ETQW to run under Boot Camp since it hit the street, to no avail. I gave up and have since packed away the game.<br><br>My problem is OpenGL exception errors or some bs like that and apparently my Vid card is lacking.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: leicaman

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 05:40 PM

There is a known problem with Leopard. If you have cloned the hard drive, and restored it, or using a drive it was cloned to, there are problems with lots of programs. It happened to me with ETQW. I had to do an archive and install to get it, and a few other programs/games to work right. <br><br>Both SuperDuper and CCC seem to have this problem with Leopard.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 07:38 PM

If you are running it under Boot Camp and have an ATI card you need to update to the latest ATI drivers. <br><br>What graphics card do you have? I doubt it's lacking.<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 07:41 PM

Have you tried contacting Aspyr? What machine are you trying to run it on again?<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 07:50 PM

I'm trying to run it on a Mac Pro quad 2.66 w/ATI XT1900 and 5 gigs o' ram. Plenty of power...<br><br><br>I did clone the drive... so what though.. it should be the same in every way. Plus .... I cloned it months ago... I just put the game on yesterday.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 07:53 PM

<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 07:54 PM

Are there any updates on the Mac side? I see PC is up to v1.5.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 08:02 PM

Have you tried repairing permissions/ repairing your disk? ...no idea why something like that would cause a problem.<br><br>You may go to aspyr's website and put in a help ticket too. Have you tried deleting the games .plist file? Maybe it corrupted on first launch. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 08:02 PM

Have you tried contacting Aspyr?<br><br>OK.. I used the game agent.. opened a ticket and sent message and screenies.<br><br>What a drag.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 08:04 PM

The 1.5 patch is supposed to come out next week or so. Apparently the guy that was in charge of patching the game was off on vacation or something (according to one of my other Mac buddies)<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 08:06 PM

I just ran Drive Genius/ Cocktail on both Intel Macs 2 weeks ago and defragged/repaired perms, emptied caches/ and ran scripts.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 08:08 PM

I dig how Game Agent shows what game my computer can handle... that's cool. I think I remember seeing that a couple of years ago... still nifty though.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 08:53 PM

My MBP is a clone of my MP.. ... I installed it on my MBP... and same thing.. crashes on launch.<br>Hmmmm....<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/25/08 10:26 PM

Oops, you're right. I didn't know Boot Camp 2.1 has been available since the end of April.<br><br>I upgraded BC and Quake Wars now works just fine. In fact, I am able to use my XBox wireless controller with the game. <br><br>The training aspect of the game is a bit annoying with fifty things flashing on the screen and not knowing what keys to punch.<br><br>Thanks zwei.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/26/08 05:18 AM

Ooohh...ooooo..ooooo... (hand in air...) <br>Fix mine too Mr Z.. fix mineeeeee.... I wanna play.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/26/08 09:34 AM

What was the problem? What's your in game handle ..I'll add you to my buddies <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/26/08 09:34 AM

What's your in-game name? Forgot to ask! <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/26/08 11:08 AM

PLz read it again.. I'm asking you to help me fix mine too... like ya did G4Dualies....<br><br>Mine's still broked. <br><br>[image][/image]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NucleusG4 on 05/26/08 06:29 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/26/08 12:55 PM

How aggravating.<br><br>So it this a bug in Leopard, or bug with the Leopard support in the cloning tools, or a bug in the game?<br><br>Maybe the makers of the cloning tools would have some advice.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/26/08 05:00 PM

I have no idea what the matter is with the Nuc's mac and Quake.<br><br>As far as my situation is concerned, Leopard was not a factor and Quake was the first Open GL game that refused to play on my Windows-running iMac. <br><br>I never had a problem with Unreal or XPlane or Half-life or even earlier versions of Quake. But for some reason ETQW would not install properly. I attributed that to ATI being behind the power curve to deliver the latest drivers to perhaps the smallest segment of their consumer-buying public; Mac users running windows.<br><br>The game runs flawlessly now that I updated to Boot Camp 2.1 which included the newer ATI HD2600 drivers I needed to get the game to install properly.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 06:45 AM

I tried a new user... no good.<br><br>I then installed on another copy of OS X (10.5 still...) on another drive... it runs!<br>Now I have to figure out what is on my main boot that is different from the Back Up boot drive... groooaaaannnn.<br><br>Other thoughts... this may not be the game for me. Too frikkin much going on! Auuuuugh!<br>Great graphics though... even if there aren't many graphic options to tweak.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 09:36 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Other thoughts... this may not be the game for me. Too frikkin much going on! Auuuuugh!<p><hr></blockquote><p>It definitely has a higher learning curve than most FPS games. That's the good part though. Once you DO get it learned it has an amazing amount of depth. <br><br>My advice, pick a class and stick with it until you have learned the ropes. Medic is a GREAT class to start with. Just follow everyone else around and concentrate on healing instead of killing. You'll know where the objectives are in no time, and then you can branch out into other classes easier.<br><br>Good to hear you got it working on your system ...just sucks that the cloning caused such a weird problem. Good luck finding the answer to that one!<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/28/08 09:37 AM

You guys still never told me your in-game names so I can add you to my buddy list <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/28/08 11:31 AM

Haven't made one yet for ETQW...but it's gonna be NG4.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: ETQW problem...help - 05/28/08 11:33 AM

k ...when you DO make an acct ...you can just add "zwei" to yours and I'll get the message too. I can add ya that way<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 12:38 PM

Some tips to learn the ropes:<br><br>* Play offline with Easy bots. The Training voice will guide you.<br><br>* Play offline under Custom difficulty with no ememy bots, and bots set to NOT complete objectives. In essence you are playing alone and can try all the classes (got to Limbo menu, change classes, and click Respawn at will).<br><br>* But don't be afraid to play online--I did from the beginning, and I sucked but it was still fun. I avoided stealing vehicles and shooting teammates, so nobody really minded my presence <br><br>* Don't worry if you die a lot--you have endless lives. Every bullet you take is one that your team would have taken without you! It's a dirty job, I know.<br><br>* If you play on Ranked servers you can see your stats improve as a reassuring measure of your progress.<br><br>* Visit http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/ or ask other players for tips.<br><br><br>Two roles you can start with that aren't too complex:<br><br><br>Best choice: play as a GDF Medic, and if you do the following you WILL be helping your team:<br><br>1. Look on your screen for a floating yellow diamond showing the direction to the current objective. If you don't see one, look at the sides of your screen for a little yellow arrow. Go there! If you can't survive in the heart of the fight, spend more time on the edges.<br><br>2. Aim at anyone--human or Strogg--who is lying on the ground and press F (or whatever other button you chose for Use). One tap will do it.<br><br>That's all it takes to help your team a lot. There's much more you can do (press 6 to be able to toss health packs around the battlefield--which you can even pick up yourself) but simply hitting Use does a lot:<br><br>* Use on a fallen teammate revives them.<br><br>* Use on a fallen enemy makes them impossible to revive.<br><br>* Use on a glowing red "spawn host" body destroys it. (Spawn hosts are a secondary way that Strogg can "revive.")<br><br>* (Use on a body that's not "twitching" and not a spawn host is useless--it's already fully dead.)<br><br><br>Second best choice: play as GDF Covert Ops or Strogg Infiltrator, with whatever weapon you prefer:<br><br>1. Hit 5 twice for your radar tool. Walk forward and click on a green spot. Now your team can see enemies (red) on radar. Hit 3 to get your gun back. (If sometime you later find your radar gone then deploy it again.)<br><br>2. Approach the battle (yellow diamond) and find an out of the way sniping place with a nice view. <br><br>3. Hit X to lie Prone (and spacebar to rise if you need to flee). Click the right mouse button to zoom in. Hit Use to increase the zoom even more. Now you can see really well, but the enemy can't as easily see you.<br><br>4. Shoot enemies until they catch you! Anyone with a red triangle or no triangle. (White or green triangles are friends.) Aim for the head if possible. Sniper gun/railgun are very powerful but their trails give away your location. Assault rifle/lacerator are good choices too--weaker, but they fire multiple shots and don't give you away as blatantly. It's OK to shoot vehicles too--they're easier to hit!<br><br>That's it. Again, when you're ready, there's always more you can do. (Hold down Use on an enemy body to disguise yourself, then sneak up to enemy deployables. Hold down Use to disable them.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 01:13 PM

Let me amend that: choose Strogg Infiltrator over GDF Covert Ops.<br><br>Covert Ops are often expected to hack objectives--which is great, but goes beyond the "simple start" I outlined.<br><br>Infiltrators can only do that in one map (Volcano) and nobody is likely to notice if you don't. There will be other Infiltrators doing the hacking anyway.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 02:11 PM

Wow.. thanks for that post. LOL<br><br>I tried Engineer last night... completed some objectives and got some promotions. Killed some enemies... drove the tank and 4 wheeler. Can't seem to get the Anasis? chopper... kept flying backwards out of area till I died.<br><br>Laid mines/used snips/pliers once. Having a bit of a time finding objectives... but hey... it was my first 1.5 hours of play.<br>After playing CoD for so long... it's abit difficult to get used to the team play. Much diff. than CoD!<br><br> See ya there...soon.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 02:30 PM

Easy to find objectives ...just make sure that little icon is in the center of your screen... Just keep running forward till you get there!<br><br> ...etc.<br><br>Fly forward in the anasai/tormenter with the shift key. <br><br>PS ...I just got my "Stroyent" t-shirt today!! <br><br><br><br><br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 09:14 PM

I was in a game where I could tell nearly everyone else was a noob like me, and there was a Tormentor sitting there... so I went ahead and took it.<br><br>And immediately careened into a bridge support and got wedged permanently. I felt like a real idiot.<br><br>Until I bailed out and saw the enemy's titan tank floundering in the water <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/28/08 10:44 PM

That's been my experience with the Tormentor. I crash more than I fly. But I'm getting the hang of it.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Sort of solved... - 05/29/08 12:03 PM

FYI, someone just pointed me towards these extensive QW tutorial videos:<br><br>http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11603<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Sort of solved... - 06/04/08 12:18 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Until I bailed out and saw the enemy's titan tank floundering in the water <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>LOL. I know what you mean. But I'm noticing that most servers I see are filled with bots. Hard to find a decent server with a bunch of real people in them.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Sort of solved... - 06/04/08 05:50 PM

Until the Mac version gets the 1.5 patch, it's gonna be slow <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Sort of solved... - 06/04/08 06:24 PM

That sux! Oh well, see you online! That European friends server often has people.<br><br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Sort of solved... - 06/05/08 02:06 PM

Yeah--I've found a few serves with a full (small) group of humans playing, but not often. (And before this patch issue there were TONS of players available all the time.)<br><br>A couple of emails from Aspyr (very vague) re the patch:<br>http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5535068<br>(Scroll down to TFMTASAD.)<br><br>Not very encouraging. I know they can't always say much until it's time to announce, but I hope the situation is better than it sounds <br><br><br>"Hello, <br><br>The patch for Quake Wars is still being evaluated for porting to the Mac. If you have not done so, you can subscribe to our newsletter or download GameAgent, which is sent out via email on a monthly basis. This newsletter is where we announce new projects and patches. <br><br>Regrettably, if the information is not shown on that page, or we have not made an announcement about them, then we have no public comment. <br><br>Have a nice day, <br>Aspyr"<br><br><br>"Hello <br><br>Regrettably, that the patch is in evaluation is the only information I am at liberty to give. I cannot say if we are working on it, programing it, or testing it. I will be able to give further information once a formal announcement has been made on the website. Until then the only thing I can say is to check the website regularly or download and check GameAgent regularly. <br><br>Have a nice day, <br>Aspyr Tech Support" <br><br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Problem solved - 06/05/08 10:03 PM

10.5.3 software update fixed it. Hmmmm... oh well.<br>Cool by me!<br><br><br><br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Problem solved - 06/06/08 08:13 AM

Well sweet!<br><br>zweisoft<br>

1.5 patch - 06/06/08 11:44 PM

An update on the Mac 1.5 patch--from Activision of all places (on their 1.5 page):<br><br>"The Mac version of the update is still rumbling through Aspyr's QA department and should be released within the next few days."<br><br>Sounds good to me.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: 1.5 patch - 06/07/08 11:28 AM

I think that was the exact same line I heard on the official QW forums when they announced the PC version was shipping. <br><br>Yup ...just looked. The same line is written in this press release.<br><br>link-o<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: 1.5 patch - 09/09/09 06:31 AM

Anyone test ET:QW with Snow Leopard? If it works, there's a great deal going on at

http://deals.yahoo.com/?name=woot#woot

I've got the PC version, but I'm seriously thinking about picking up the Mac version at this price.

Re: 1.5 patch - 09/09/09 07:19 AM

I will sell you mine. I didn't enjoy the game and only used the disc once. PM me if interested.