Office for X

Posted by: yoyo52

Office for X - 10/17/01 09:19 PM

Does anyone know when MS will make the upgrade to Office for X available for purchase? I really can't justify spending another four or so hundred bucks to buy the software, but the early adopter upgrade offer for 145 (is that right?) I can manage. Playing around with the Word preview makes me want the real thing, I guess.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Office for X - 10/17/01 09:41 PM

yoyo, do you really "need" office? BBedit rocks, and AppleWorks kicks ass in OS X... do you really really need office?<br><br>

Re: Office for X - 10/17/01 09:48 PM

I think so, John. Keep in mind that I work in a place that almost decided to get rid of Macs (and didn't do so in large part cause we Mac users howled loud enough). I know that I can use AW to make documents that can be translated into .doc format. But Excel and PowerPoint are not so easily translated back and forth. I can live without PowerPoint (and I wish the whole world would do without it--wouldn't it be a better place? maybe not as good as if bin Laden were eliminated, but certainly better than it is now), but Excel is really essential.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Office for X - 10/17/01 09:51 PM

I have been playing around with a beta to Office v.X for about 2 weeks now. I gotta say it's nice..even for M$. Entourage is very nice..I use it solely now instead of Mail.app. <br><br>I just hope that I can buy Word/Entourage separately..as that's all I want.<br><br>

Re: Office for X - 10/17/01 09:53 PM

Yeah, I like Entourage too. Liking all these MS apps--embarrassing it is.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Office for X - 10/17/01 09:57 PM

yeah. I wish I didn't have to use M$ apps, but unfortunately they do make some good stuff. At least the OS isn't MS!!! <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Office for X - 10/18/01 12:32 PM

i love bbedit, too; however, appleworks still cannot do some of the things in word that i need. for instance, i grade a lot of papers sent to me in email. word has editing features and allows me to add comments to papers without the edits and the comments showing up on printouts (unless, this option is specified). these features are quite top-notch. the latest appleworks cannot read these edits and comments. if it could, i would switch, but...it can't. word for me so that i can optimize my work with my students.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Office for X - 10/18/01 12:48 PM

Office is the only app for me for word proccessing, it is what i have used and also my college is windoze based and so my iBook needs compatible software. I ofcourse can get the accedemic licence of office though so it will be cheaper for me. :-)<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Office for X - 10/18/01 01:46 PM

that's cool that you guys don't use AppleWorks, I don't either honestly... starting to really learn Excel and all of the really really intricate stuff if can do for you... <br><br>I agree, MS Office is the app for you if you need to be able to interact with anyone else, but that's really a shame that Apple Works didn't take off.... hmmm... churn, churn, churn... I think they forgot one of the churns or something back in the 90's...<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Office for X - 10/23/01 08:00 PM

Well, if you buy Word+Entourage now - which I've seen for as little at $119 online, you can get the Office v X office for $150 directly from Microsoft. It's like getting Excel and PowerPoint for free (I said almost!). :-)<br><br>