Gaming questions (FPS gamers)

Posted by: droogie

Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 04/30/08 03:47 PM

Ok, I've been out of gaming for a little over a year now. I have some time coming up and want to know opinions from Sarge, SteveS, Nagromme and/or any resident (and serious) gamer as to what's worth buying/playing and what isn't. My inquiry is aimed mainly at older games (FPS)... as in pre-Call of Duty 4, Quake 4, etc.<br><br>I have Quake 4 and Call of Duty 4 as an example. I played the first Call of Duty but never played 2 and 3, for whatever reason(s).<br><br>It doesn't matter whether they're Mac or PC. I prefer the Mac versions, but if the PC versions are better or if there is no Mac version then that's fine... either will do, actually.<br><br>Anyway, how is/was:<br><br>- Call of Duty 2 and 3?<br>- Other war-style games?<br>- What are the better games in the Star Wars series? Haven't done a Star Wars FPS for quite awhile.<br>- What about the Tom Clancy series games?<br><br>This is going way back, but I really enjoyed Return to Castle Wolfenstein... I don't know, I thought it was a blast... and graphics were decent. <br><br>Also, I'm not really looking for the ultimate online/multiplayer experience at this time... although that is an added bonus. I'm mainly concerned with quality single player missions with decent stories and/or just plain old decent single play.<br><br>I think you get a good idea of where I'm coming from. I would like to play some of the older series games because the prices are extremely cheap now, and this may present a chance to catch some titles I never got the chance to play, for whatever reason.<br><br>Any and all suggestions are welcomed, of course. <br><br>Thanks<br><br>droog<br><br>And no, Nagromme... I don't require "stroyent" at this time! <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/01/08 11:20 AM

Portal (PC Only, very short game but great)<br>Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. (mucho stroyent)<br><br>And the kinda old, but one of the best games ever made. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (FREE) I have the 2.60d UB version I can send to you if you can't find it online. <br><br>If you get QW or W:ET let me know and I can lead you to some great servers. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/01/08 11:59 AM

I tend to play 1 game to death at a time. It's been CoD for about 4-5 years now... ever since it was released for the Mac. I got CoD 2 as soon as it came out. I play nearly every day. The last time I didn't play was when a dog bit my thumb right thru the nail. Couldn't play due to pain... not that I didn't try.<br><br>Anyways, I play it multi-player and it never ceases to entertain me. Same server... same guys. Killing each other like a big boisterous family.<br><br>I have been thinking about ETQW though.<br><br>[image][/image]
Posted by: DLC

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/01/08 03:33 PM

"I tend to play 1 game to death at a time."<br><br>Yeah I did that with Age of Empires II and Rise of Nations... <br>I'm looking for new games too...<br><br>anyone have suggestions ?? I'm not into the shoot 'em up ones... I like simulations like the 2 above... also played RR Tycoon years ago and even up to RRTycoon III. ...ah also liked CaesarII and III, and Pharoh... those series.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Pete

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/01/08 05:27 PM

Battlefield 2, Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 1942 before that, Doom 3, Far Cry, etc.<br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/02/08 06:01 AM

The FPS game I remember playing and finishing was Marathon, but that's very very old <br><br>[color:blue]flick</font color=blue>[color:red]r</font color=red>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/02/08 11:58 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I like simulations like the 2 above... also played RR Tycoon years ago and even up to RRTycoon III<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'll go rounds where I'll play FPS games, then switch to RTS games like Company of Heroes, then to sim games like Roller Coaster Tycoon or Sim City, then back to FPS games. But for the FPS games I usually just play one all the way through before starting another.<br><br>Is there a Roller Coaster Tycoon for Mac? RCT3 is pretty cool, as it went from 2D to full 3D and you can ride the coasters you build. The graphics aren't the best though, and when you build a large park with a lot of guests it will destroy anything but the fastest newest machines.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/02/08 12:14 PM

If you're seeking older titles (no Quake Wars or Prey--two recent ones I'd recommend) then I say you can't beat Unreal Tournament 2004. It's not a real-word war game nor Star Wars (I haven't played anything in those two genres) but it DOES have a big player base, a lot of variety, and mind boggling tons of high-quality, fun free add-ons, maps, mods, characters and weapons. And it has good bot support for offline play.<br><br>Star Wars Troopers is a pretty cool Star Wars based mod (free, with official Lucasfilm approval I think) for UT2004. I tried an older version of it and it was impressive, but I know there's a new version out.<br><br>And UT's included Assault and Onslaught game types have much in common with war games--although with the complexity (classes etc.) stripped away leaving pretty much pure combat.<br><br>But beyond that, even if you don't like conventional deathmatch and CTF, there are some really fun other gametypes available, like Greed and Jailbreak. Some have co-op play too.<br><br>Anyway, buying UT2004 is like buying 50 games and paying for one.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/02/08 08:09 PM

Thanks Sarge, I may try that and I think there is a RC Tycoon for Mac.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: electricron

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/03/08 02:46 AM

There is a RC Tycoon for Mac. http://[urlhttp://www.smalldog.com/product/39076/atfgc<br><br>I pay RR Tycoon more than once per week, whenever I have a few hours to waste.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/04/08 12:41 AM

$45??!???!<br><br>You can get the PC gold version which contains the expansion packs for $19!<br><br>Ahh well, pleasures of being a Mac gamer I suppose. It is a fun game.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/04/08 07:54 AM

I still like the old 2D original best... the 3D is cool looking, but the game play isn't quite the same...<br><br>will that old 2D one run on new Macs... even if they were running "classic" mode ?<br>I haven't tried. Don't know how I'd get it off my old 660AV. Don't have a floppy reader any more. <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Clark

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/04/08 10:35 AM

For me it's X-Plane, X-Plane, and only X-Plane, and once in a while X-Plane.<br>Oh, and did I mention X-Plane?<br><br><br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/04/08 10:52 PM

All of those titles are great. But as I said, I am looking for (mainly) quality single player gaming. I've done so much online gaming, and I love it, don't get me wrong. But I'm just a bit burned out on the whole multiplayer thing at this particular time in my life. <br><br>I want to play some older titles that are good, that I never had the time to play for whatever reason, and I'm interested first and foremost in quality single player levels/missions. Again, like I said, quality multiplay is an added bonus, but not anywhere near tops for my gaming desires at this time.<br><br>Believe it or not, and I know it's great multiplay, but I've never been a huge Unreal fan... Unreal or tournament. UT was, to me, just an attempt at a Quake 3 Arena copy with a twist. A great copy, with a great twist, for sure, but if I want to frag just to be fraggin,' I would much rather make it interesting by piloting 360 spacecraft... as in what Descent was. Coordinated team play as in what Counterstrike was when it was first released is cool, but for me, Descent was the stuff. It's a shame the series stopped. 'Interplay' SUCKS/SUCKED! <br><br>I've been a huge Descent fan for years... even belonged to several Descent clans over the years. Played day and night at one time.... couldn't get enough. But I think between Descent and Quake 3 Arena types of titles, the entire online FPS gaming thing has left me a bit burned out. I like FPS titles, but shooting the crap outa' someone for hours on end with little or no strategy or plan is taking a back seat with me as of late. I've become really burned-out on fraggin' just to frag... if you know what I mean!<br><br>The only multiplaying I need at this particular time is with me, myself, and I! <br><br>droog<br><br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/04/08 10:52 PM

COD2 is a great game. Lots of fun. There was no COD3. COD4 should be out in July. (Current Amazon shipping time, which started out mid-May).<br><br>I've been playing a lot of ETQW and it's been a blast. <br><br>As for the Tom Clancy titles, I enjoyed them a lot. Splinter Cell is my favorite. I also enjoyed Oni a lot, with the karate stuff. Once you get certain kicks, it was a blast. Last time I looked, it was really expensive on eBay though.<br><br>I have enjoyed Quake 4 and Doom 3, but not as much as others. Looking forward to UT3, which should be out in the next month or so. <br><br>I like stealth games a lot. So I liked Deus Ex a lot.<br><br>And of course, the game that got the most (sick) belly laughs of all was Carmageddon.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Thanks to all... - 05/04/08 10:53 PM

... I appreciate the replies.<br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: BTW, Nagromme... - 05/04/08 11:12 PM

... speaking of 'Interplay,' how's this for a semi-shocker... at least I'm pretty amazed, and curious:<br><br>Blast from the Past rearing it's head again? <br><br>See anything relating to Descent in that graphic? Can you say, "shield powerup?" Although, it's entirely possible that graphic was just to remind everyone of who Interplay used to be, and the titles they were responsible for publishing.<br><br>Interesting... Yes? No? I've even been hearing rumors (from old Parallax Software guys) of a possible 4th Descent title with an entirely new and kickin' game engine! Of course, I'll believe that when I actually see it. The original Descent 4 turned into that lame-in-comparison 'Red Faction' (sorry, my opinion)... thanks to the publishing greed of Interplay. Or, whatever their major problem was in stopping Outrage/Tantrum/Volition from using the Decent title at the time.<br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/04/08 11:36 PM

COD2 is a great game. Lots of fun.<br><br>It's dirt cheap right about now... I'll go ahead and grab it.<br><br><br>There was no COD3.<br><br>Uh... there certainly was a CoD3! Or, do you mean there was no Mac port? Because there is definitely a CoD3 for PC. I hear it's kinda' more of the same of CoD2... but nevertheless it's still for sale on Amazon, and everyone gives it high ratings.<br><br>Remember, I build PC gaming machines... I don't care whether it's for PC or Mac. I would prefer for Mac... but like I said, PC titles will do just fine.<br><br><br>As for the Tom Clancy titles, I enjoyed them a lot.<br><br>I have a friend in Florida who is a Tom Clancy series freak... he swears to gaming by them. He says the new "vegas" title is a HUGE blast. Maybe I'll try Splinter Cell... that is, as long as the single play is good.<br><br><br>I have enjoyed Quake 4 and Doom 3, but not as much as others. Looking forward to UT3, which should be out in the next month or so.<br><br>I've done Quake 4 and Doom 3. I don't know... call me whatever, but Doom 3 is one of the few titles I've played that actually gave me the true "willies"... it really gave me the serious creeps... I couldn't finish it. Yeah I know, don't ask me... it just really and unexplainably creeped me out in a major way, big time. After I'd finish playing Doom 3 sessions I would walk through my house when everyone was in bed and expect demons to jump out at me or something. I felt as if I were still in the game for awhile after playing. Never had a game do that to me with such intensity. And I was looking forward to Doom 3 long before it was released. I was an original Doom series freak. <br><br>Anyway, been there, done those two titles! <br><br>BTW, as I said to Nagromme... I've never been a huge UT fan. Don't know why, it just never really grabbed me.<br><br><br>I like stealth games a lot. So I liked Deus Ex a lot.<br><br>Yeah, I liked Deus Ex a lot myself... fun game. <br><br>Also, I want to give Halo 2 a whirl... but it's only for PCs with Vista installed... no XP, etc. That's complete "MS pressure on Bungie BS," as far as I'm concerned. But it is what it is! DOH!!! <br><br>Hey, thanks for the input, LM! <br><br>droog<br><br><br><br>

Re: BTW, Nagromme... - 05/04/08 11:40 PM

I'd love to see Descent return--it never got the audience it deserved. Monsterball is my favorite! Be sure to check out Into Cerberon--a very cool work-in-progress Descent-for-Doom-3 mod.<br><br>http://www.chmodoplusr.com/IntoCerberon/<br><br><br><br>As for UT and single player: MOST people play UT single player (Epic did some survey). More than 50% of UT2004 players never go online, IIRC. I know I play offline more than on (and online only with friends, seldom with strangers).<br><br>And as for UT being a Quake-alike: yes, if you play just basic DM and CTF (and if you like those, UT has great maps and weapons). But the real value of UT lies beyond that, in the other mods--especially user-built ones. And if you play single-player with bots, then who cares whether some obscure mod has servers up or not. I actually enjoy the Aerial View mod in UT for instance: it's not quite Descent, but it's flying!<br><br>Now, if single-player means you need a deep storyline, forget UT2004 and (most of) its mods. But I say, watch a good movie for storyline, then play some UT2004 mods :)<br><br>Or, if single-player means you want an extended quest, not "individual match" style play, then some fun ones include: Alice (runs great in Rosetta they say), RealMYST (ditto--but it's puzzles, not action), and more recently, the Penumbra series (very unique physics-based gameplay--not run-and-gun). I'd say Halo--which has a very different feel from UT or Quake) but it's out of print :(<br><br>And one last plug for Quake Wars: the bots are good so it's fun offline! I'm not sure if they will become predictable--if so, then QW might lack longevity if you didn't play against human creativity. In any case, QW does not have the feel of UT or Quake--it's very much like a realistic military game, though set in the (near) future. (The free WWII predecessor to Quake Wars, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, is a little harder to get into but is worth a look--it has devoted fans.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: BTW, Nagromme... - 05/04/08 11:53 PM

I guess what I mean by "storyline" is there's a definite quest or mission that needs to be achieved. There's a beginning to the game, complete your mission(s), and win/finish the game. The single player must have at least a somewhat intriguing purpose. At least that's what I'm looking for now. Even Doom 3 had it's "purpose."<br><br>Like I said, as an example, I enjoyed RtCW and Deus Ex... they had requirements which had to be accomplished before advancing to the next level. They weren't just fragging for the sake of fragging! So, that's basically what I mean. I'm not exactly looking for some gaming novel... just close! <br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: Something else of interest! - 05/05/08 12:09 AM

In case you haven't seen this:<br><br>A fairly fresh site!<br><br>Interesting!!! <br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: BTW, Nagromme... - 05/05/08 09:04 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, is a little harder to get into but is worth a look--it has devoted fans.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yup, I'm one of them. Still play it several times a week. Lost several years to that game <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And one last plug for Quake Wars: the bots are good so it's fun offline!<p><hr></blockquote><p>The AI on the bots is amazing. You'll still catch a glimpse of them freaking out every so often, but I've never seen a game where the bots are this fun to play with. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/05/08 10:59 AM

>> I've never been a huge UT fan. Don't know why, it just never really grabbed me. >><br><br>The original UT was great because of the maps & the modding. I remember spending hours on a 'voicepack' for the game whereby you and other users who've installed the pack would hear Mr. Burns' voice instead of the default male.<br><br>Nothing like firing off a rocket, blasting someone into a million pieces and hearing "Excellent!" as it's happening... <br><br>I also bought UT2004 because of the vehicles - I always liked that game better than Halo, and I never quite saw why Halo became infinitely more popular (in terms of multiplayer, anyway). <br><br>Strike that, I probably know why - Xbox...<br><br>>> there certainly was a CoD3! >><br><br>Yeah, IIRC it was a console-only version. <br><br>>> but Doom 3 is one of the few titles I've played that actually gave me the true "willies" >><br><br>I was so obsessed with the game's performance on my then-older video card that I had little time or cause to get freaked out. It's hard to get the 'willies' from something stuttering out of the dark at you at about 8 frames per second. <br><br>That all said, I always loved the original 'Medal of Honor' series for its immersion in the whole WW2 'experience'. First time I played the Omaha level, I was blown away. Multiplayer was an absolute riot, but like every other game once people found a way to exploit it, it ceased to be enjoyable to go online. <br><br>Sorry, but trying to play against someone who's either constantly jumping in place or alternating between leaning left & right is not my idea of a fun time.<br><br>[color:red]Work With ____!</font color=red>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/05/08 07:14 PM

That's right, they did come out with COD3 for PC. Forgot about that one. COD2 still has a lot of action going on the servers. You should really enjoy it. Make sure to update it right away to the latest version. Better maps.<br><br>Splinter Cell is single-player only. And it's really good. I love sneaking around. But running in and blowing people away can be fun too. :-D You have to remember to try different approaches if one doesn't work. Sometimes an obvious way in is nearly impossible.<br><br>I agree about Doom 3. Some really scary stuff. I think it's the only game that really scared me. And running around at the end taking on the Boss is a frustrating, but ultimately satisfying end to the game. You just have to remember to keep running, don't stop! And make sure to be loaded up with a lot of BFG ammo.<br><br>Quake 4 was fun, and multiplayer could be fun too, but the servers never filled up much when I was playing it. Kind of frustrating. Because some of the multiplayer maps were fantastic.<br><br>I really hope Bungie comes out with some new Mac games now that they are out from under the Microsoft yoke. <br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/05/08 08:04 PM

AvP was scarier, but Doom was up there too :)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/05/08 09:23 PM

Didn't play it enough to decide if it was that scary. But what got me was the amazing graphics and creepy surround sound! So if AVP was scarier, glad I didn't pursue it!<br><br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: andybloom

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/05/08 10:42 PM

I'd just like to pipe up for the Olde Worlde Gamers out there...<br>Lode Runner 2 was fantastic when it originally came out.<br><br>
Posted by: SteveS

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/09/08 01:46 PM

Hey Droogie, sorry I'm late to the party. I barely get time for forums like this anymore...<br><br>"I played the first Call of Duty but never played 2 and 3, for whatever reason(s)."<br><br>If you liked Call of Duty, you'll love COD2. It's more of the same, but better. There was no COD3. I've played COD4 on my nephew's XBox... it looks good, I'll probably get that also when it's available.<br><br>"- What are the better games in the Star Wars series? Haven't done a Star Wars FPS for quite awhile."<br><br>The last FPS Star Wars I played was Jedi Academy. If you haven't played that, you should give it a try. I liked Star Wars Battlegrounds alot, but haven't played that in ages. If you're into RTS games, I still play Star Wars Empire at War. I mostly just play the skirmish battles as I don't really have time for the campaigns.<br><br>"Any and all suggestions are welcomed, of course."<br><br>A couple months ago, I dusted off my old CH Prodcuts Flight Stick and started playing Skyfighters 1945. If you're at all interested in WW2 flight sims, this game is a lot of fun. This is the title I'm currently addicted to. I hadn't played this in years. While the graphics aren't state of the art by today's standards, this title has come a long way over the years. The AI is pretty good and the flight model is very good. Modern jets are nice, but there's nothing like a good old fashioned dog fight!<br><br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 02:04 AM

Hey Steve, as with everyone else who responded to my actual question, thanks for the recommendations.<br><br><br>There was no COD3.<br><br>Well, yes there was... but only for consoles. Although, when I was checking I thought I saw a PC version on Amazon... but it was only a console version... I saw CoD2 for PC just above it and thought it was for PC. I would buy it for XBox but I think FPS games for console absolutely suck eggs... the controller compared to keyboard and mouse stinks. As you may remember, I tried Halo for XBox plenty of times and gave up because of the controller issue with FPS titles on consoles.<br><br>BTW, CoD4 is pretty darned awesome... I think it's worth the money, personally.<br><br>Anyway, glad you joined the party! And yes, it gets more difficult all the time trying to stay involved in this or any forum. Time flies and there's not enough hours in a day, bud! <br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: We're both wrong! - 05/10/08 02:15 AM

I looked at the wrong item on Amazon when searching for CoD titles. I thought I saw CoD3 for PC, but it was for XBox... and I was looking at CoD2 above it. DOH! <br><br>You were right to begin with. But, from what I understand there was supposed to be a CoD3 for PC and they decided against it... went with console versions only. I also remember some PC gaming buddies (Counterstrike heads!) talking about waiting for a PC version of CoD3 after it was released... obviously that never happened.<br><br>Anyway, just wanted to clarify that you were right to begin with. <br><br>droog<br><br>
Posted by: tahoegazer

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 06:02 AM

Far Cry. It's best played single player and still looks great. <br><br>Homeworld 2 is another good game and already available on the Mac.<br><br>For dogfights, Ubisoft's Pacific Fighters, the IL2 series, and MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 are still good. The AI on the Ubisoft games are ok. They've given me a scare quite a few times.<br>I'm also partial to Need For Speed: Underground, much more so than the sequels. Best if played with the Logitech G25 wheel/stick/clutch/brake/gas pedal set.
Posted by: tahoegazer

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 06:47 AM

Also, if anyone cares for a good freebie, open source flight sim for OSX........ Flight Gear looks promising if it hasn't been posted here already.<br><br>http://www.flightgear.org/<br><br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 07:12 AM

COD2 still has a lot of action going on the servers. You should really enjoy it.<br><br>Yeah! Come to server "KN Challenge" so I can kick your butts......<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: We're both wrong! - 05/10/08 08:08 AM

Right, they had planned COD 3 for PC and even Mac I think, but then decided to put their efforts into COD4 instead. Looking forward to it.<br><br><br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 08:15 AM

What's your handle on KN Challenge. Turns out it's the lowest ping in the server list. Unfortunately, I can't get in. I select it but I don't go to it. Is there some kind of MOD, or trick to getting into this server?<br><br>But after playing ETQW for a while, it looks so crude, it's hard to play ti any more. :-D<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by leicaman on 05/10/08 11:18 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 08:44 AM

I had that problem w/servers too. Still do. KNs' not PW protected or anything. Handle is NG4.<br><br>I want ETQW... but am afraid I will truly get nothing done in the real world...lol.<br><br>[image][/image]

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 09:16 AM

Oh man, ETQW is truly addictive. I'm quite happy with this game until UT3 and COD4 come out.<br><br>I was thinking about getting a PS3 to replace my Blu-ray player I'm going to eventually give my father, but decided Mac games are enough for me. So I'm gonna get a high-end GPS instead. :-D<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 04:32 PM

What is your etqw handle? Hopefully we can do some damage together sometime. I go by zwei there as well ..if you missed my previous post. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 04:56 PM

Zwei,<br><br>My handle is Hrunga_Zmuda. <br><br>That's Swahili for pygmy elephant crap, so I'm told. :-D <br><br>What are your favorite servers? I have a few, I'll try to write them down. There's one called Free love and some other stuff. I think it's based in California.<br><br>Anyway, iChat me and let's figure out where to meet! Maybe we could form a MacMinute clan?<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 05:12 PM

I'll try to add you to my buddy list tonight after the kiddos go to bed. I have a couple servers i usually play on. Here they are in order of preference. <br><br>1. <HH> Alpha (I recently got invited to join their clan) this server is NOT ranked.<br>2. :ACI: <br>3. Electric Sunshine Machine this server tends to have teams lopsided quite a bit though. Everyone seems to love the Strogg on there <br><br>What time do you usually play? I'm usually only on between 8-11 p.m. (Central) ...although I can get on during nap time on the weekends. I've only been able to play a couple nights a week, but hopefully this will change <br><br>Once you're on the buddy list it's easy to meet up! <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/10/08 06:19 PM

I've added you to my buddy list. Make sure you put the underscore in the Hrunga_Zmuda.<br><br>I'll look for those servers.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: We're both wrong! - 05/11/08 03:12 AM

decided to put their efforts into COD4 instead. Looking forward to it.<br><br>CoD4 is VERY good... at least I think it is. It's pretty darned realistic!<br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/11/08 03:17 AM

Lol... you gotta' know someone's a serious gamer when they even go for the ol' "wheel/stick/clutch/brake/gas pedal set" option! Lol!!!<br><br>Thanks for the recommendations. <br><br>droog <br><br>

Re: We're both wrong! - 05/11/08 02:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>CoD4 is VERY good... at least I think it is. It's pretty darned realistic!<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Can't wait to see!<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/11/08 04:36 PM

For some reason, the scenery in the images at flightgear.org remind me of the old 'A-10 Attack!' sim (I still have the game somewhere). That game was a blast when it was popular. I would say the graphics may be somewhat better than the A-10 sim though.<br><br>Looks interesting.<br><br>droog<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wait 'til you see... - 05/11/08 04:51 PM

... the friggin' anti-tank weapon in one of the missions... it's awesome!<br><br>Not trying to give anything away, but there's a mission where you have to take these tanks out up on a bridge above you (as a matter of fact, it's the very mission they use for the PC demo... it convinced me to buy the game). Anyway, I get a huge charge out of that weapon... it's, like I said, a blast.<br><br>BTW, a friend has the XBOX 360 version and runs it on a 46" high-def Sony Bravia... Oh my God! The graphics are no less than stunning. A shame... I hate FPS titles on consoles. Bummer!!! <br><br>I don't know... to me, CoD4 is getting seriously close to real-life combat. The AI is pretty darned good too. If you like that kind of gaming environment, you'll love CoD4.<br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: Wait 'til you see... - 05/11/08 05:15 PM

Oh, I'm sure I'll love COD4. Just sorry it keeps being pushed back. Ship date is now in July. Oh well, something to look forward to when I get back from Brazil. :-D<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/12/08 11:48 AM

FYI I started a lounge thread to share Quake Wars playernames/times:<br><br>http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=lounge&Number=371715<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Wait 'til you see... - 05/14/08 03:08 AM

Oh, I'm sure I'll love COD4. Just sorry it keeps being pushed back.<br><br>Well, there's always the PC version running on a Boot Camp/XP partition. Hey, even runs great on my 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac! I play it on my PC... but I had to try it on my Boot Camp partition on the iMac. Actually, I'm impressed with the performance. <br><br>droog<br><br>

Re: Wait 'til you see... - 05/14/08 07:08 PM

So far I've been happy to leave Windblows XP in VMWare in virtualization and not boot camp. I'd have a hard time getting MS to authenticate my copy of XP in Boot Camp I'm sure. I don't even want to mess with it.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 05/14/08 07:33 PM

Droog, that A-10 sim really was a blast. As was the F-117 Nighthawk. And there was an old WWII game that had the top secret german jet and rocket planes. <br><br>Hmmm...I think I need another flight sim.<br><br><br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/11/08 10:16 AM

I keep rotating between new FPS games and RTS games, and old FPS games.

I've been playing the ever loving hell out of Unreal Tournament lately, I've got hundreds upon hundreds of maps for it. Quake 3 as well.

As for FPS games, if your machine is up to the task give Crysis a try. Should be down in price. Also Crysis Warhead, it's only $19 I believe. Both are great games, and if you have a machine that can dial up the graphics it's all the better.

I'd also second Portal.

Also while it's not an FPS game, World in Conflict is fantastic.

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/11/08 10:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Pete
I also bought UT2004 because of the vehicles -

I don't have UT2004, but I've got UT2003. I love the game where you grab the ball and go shoot it in the other teams goal. There's one map that spans across the top of 3 skyscrapers that's fun as all hell.

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/11/08 12:01 PM

Bombing Run is fun, but it's no Descent 3 Monsterball!

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/11/08 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: droogie
Like I said, as an example, I enjoyed RtCW and Deus Ex...

There's a Deus Ex sequel "Invisible War" you might be able to pick up somewhere.
Posted by: H. Habilis

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/11/08 09:41 PM

You might enjoy "XIII..." It's a stealth-type shooter with a pretty compelling "Amnesiac Killing Machine Takes on Vast Conspiracy" storyline-- like a combination of the "Bourne Identity" and "100 Bullets" comics. My only issue with this game is the infuriating save-point system which makes for some frustrating do-overs. As far as I know it's available for mac, PC, and a couple of consoles as well.

My favorite shooter has got to be "The Operative: No One Lives Forever." It's a spy-spoof shooter set in the swingin' '60's, featuring a smokin' hot Emma Peel-type superspy. It's got a great story, really funny dialogue (and by that I mean, it's actually funny, not "Video-game funny"), and great stealth/straight up shooting gameplay. It's been out for a while and you might need to find a patch to get it to run on a newer computer, but it's totally worth it. The sequel is quite good, too, but there is more of an emphasis on stealth than on shooting, if that's not your cup of tea.

"Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast" is a really fun game. You play a no-nonsense guy who happens to be a Jedi Knight, but without all the hokey George Lucas dialogue. Basically, it seems like you're Han Solo with a lightsaber. Man, that lightsaber is fun, especially once you learn the sweet expert moves.

"Jedi Academy," its successor, is also pretty good but at times seems like a watered-down version of "Jedi Outcast." If you can get them both cheaply, I recommend you do so.

"TRON 2.0" for some reason was not very successful when it came out but I think it was sadly underrated. The glorious graphics, the flying discs, a compelling combination of shooting and puzzles, and last but not least, the upgraded lightcycles make this game a great pick, especially when you can get it on eBay for like $5. You can buy the game and you don't even have to play the story, you can just race lightcycles!

Going WAY back, I think "American McGee's 'Alice'" is a bona-fide classic. At this point, I think you have to find the Brad Oliver-crafted updater online to get it to run on OS X/Intel, but if you've never played this game before you really should. essentially, you're Alice in Wonderland but all grown up and fresh out of the looney bin, armed with razor-sharp throwing cards and an anti-Jabberwocky-rocket launcher taking on demented versions of the characters from the classic book. There's quite a bit of "Tomb Raider"-style platform jumping in addition to all the killing. It's just fantastic.

Anyway, most of these games are pretty long in the tooth at this point, but I am the kind of guy who tends to buy games long after they've vanished off the bestsellers' list. Every single one of these games I bought used on eBay, and none of 'em for more than $20. If you've played all of these already, I apologize for wasting your time, but I am willing to bet there are some other folks out there who scour the bargain bins for entertainment just like me.

[edit:] Droogie--I've read some of your replies to earlier posts on this thread, and it seems like you are looking for emphatically single-player games with actual stories. All of these games more than meet those criteria.

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/14/08 06:12 AM

I was in Wal-Mart last night and picked up the triple pack of Painkiller for $19. I love these old multi packs of games.

Painkiller harkens back to the old Quake games, where you mainly run around and blast the ever loving hell out of stuff. Haven't gotten to install it yet, I'll be doing that tonight smile
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/14/08 03:32 PM

Never heard of PainKiller.

I used to play Quake3 and UT. I need to reinstall those games and check them out again. Does anyone play those anymore?

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/15/08 12:33 PM

I think UT has SOME community left, but it takes some fiddling to run on OS X, and I prefer UT2004.

Quake 3 is becoming free under the name Quake Live:
http://quakelive.com

I'm partial to Quake Wars myself smile

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/16/08 06:25 AM

I must say, Painkiller is freaking fun. Runs on one of the modified unreal engines (2 I think). It's a total throwback to the days of Doom and Quake, where there's zero puzzles and straight carnage. Some of the levels are pretty spooky too.

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/16/08 12:46 PM

You know what was a very fun (and unusual) FPS game--which I still want to go back and finish: Giants.

And for scariness, you can't beat AvP. A remake with a recent Id engine would be awesome.

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/21/08 08:43 AM

I never played AvP. I wonder if it's on Steam or Stardock? I'm digging some of the older games that are only 10 bucks or so now.

Re: Gaming questions (FPS gamers) - 11/21/08 12:00 PM

AvP 2 Mac is on Amazon--and even a Mac expansion pack.

I've only played AvP Gold (the original). AvP 2 has some neat additions, but I've also heard it's buggy.

I haven't tried either in OS X on Intel. May not be possible though I recall some discussion of it.

Both should be dirt cheap for Windows these days. They're oldies but goodies.