Safari 3.1 released!

Posted by: zwei

Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 06:06 AM

...check your Software Updates. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 06:30 AM

Nice timing. After using the MBA I am now back using a MBP with a much faster CPU and it is obvious that Safari has screwed the pooch somehow and is dog slow even after a total Safari reset. <br><br>Maybe a fresh copy of a new version will fix something.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 06:58 AM

It's also nice to have a way to reinstall safari without having to strip it out of the install disks, or reinstall a huge combo updater. <br><br>All fine here ...first one to find an HTML5 site gets a cookie <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 08:49 AM

Run Onyx to dump ALL caches. <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 09:58 AM

hmm ..nice, you can now double click the tab bar to make a new tab<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 10:07 AM

yeah - That 'apple -T' was really slowing me down. <br><br>How about a keyboard shortcut for "Refresh All Tabs?"<br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: Trog

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 10:48 AM

And yet still no way to have the download window close when the download is finished.<br><br>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 01:55 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And yet still no way to have the download window close when the download is finished.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Indeed, that's a feature I'd actually be willing to pay for.<br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 02:26 PM

Ay, and Open in Tabs still uses existing tabs instead of creating new ones, dammit...<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 02:54 PM

What's the big deal about the d/l window? It sits quietly behind all my others.<br><br>I know it's a personal preference, but I don't see how it gets in the way.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 06:08 PM

Should I wait before installing this update, poly? <br><br>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 06:27 PM

Can I ask a question in response to the question?<br><br>Why is that the bloody default? Is there some reason why the majority of users would want that little window always around when its not in use?<br><br>Personally, it drives me nuts, but I know that is just me. However, I don't see why that should be the default for a web browser? If you open Keynote, or Pages, or Powerpoint, etc. the default isn't to have every [censored] toolbar window open.<br><br>Piper, download SafariStand for free and it has that option to close the window automatically.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 06:45 PM

I like all windows like that to automatically close. <br><br>They added it to iChat too.<br><br>my photos

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 07:10 PM

There's no reason not to add it, but no reason to add it in any hurry, either.<br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 07:42 PM

I've put 3.1 on an MBA a MBP and a tower. The lethargic MBP Safari is now back to normal. I did do a whole pile of updates on that one so not sure if it was the Safari 3.1 that helped out.<br><br>But I have not seen a downside on any machines.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 07:45 PM

Great Poly<br><br>Let us know in a few days if you found any quirks -<br><br>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/18/08 08:03 PM

I'm not suggesting they add anything. That should be the default.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 04:22 AM

That's good news, thanks.<br><br>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 04:39 AM

Dear Trog;<br><br>If you check, you'll see I was replying to dreed. <br><br>I, on the other hand, would suggest they add a few things.<br><br>Sincerely, <br><br>Macbeemer <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 05:46 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>s there some reason why the majority of users would want that little window always around when its not in use?<br><br>Personally, it drives me nuts, but I know that is just me.<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, it's not just you. There are several things that keep me from using Safari full time (using Firefox instead):<br><br>1. The download window won't auto-close - I hate that!<br><br>2. I couldn't double click in the tab bar to create a new tab (fixed now with 3.1)<br><br>3. You can't click on a folder in the Bookmarks bar, and then slide over to another folder without first clicking again to de-select the first folder, then clicking again on the next folder. That's 3 clicks to do what you can do in Firefox with one.<br><br>4. The tab function is lame in Safari. I want EVERYTHING to open in Tabs. I don't want to click on a link and have a new window open. Why can't Safari do this??? Firefox opens everything in tabs. And I want things to open in a NEW Tab without having to hold the Command key down. Firefox does this, why can't Safari???<br><br>5. The bookmark function sucks in Safari. Why can't I create new folders in the same dialog as the bookmark save dialog? Safari forces me to go into the full bookmarks window to do it.<br><br>6. I really only use a few Firefox extensions at this point (since I'm running Firefox 3 beta, most aren't compatible yet). I miss having StumbleUpon toolbar and the BB/HTML extension - which is quite handy when blogging (it allows you to right click and have HTML code applied to your selected text, such as bold, make selection a link, list elements, etc...)<br><br>Safari really needs a plugin/extension architecture built-in. I know it's never going to happen, because Steve Jobs won't allow his beloved Safari to be altered by anyone else. But this is really what is keeping Safari from moving up in marketshare. There are just too many customizations out there with Firefox that people want - especially on the Windows side.<br><br>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 11:17 AM

Sorry!<br><br>Good list, Giz. At least there are work-arounds for #1 and #4. Saft will do both of those, but it does cost a couple bucks.<br><br>I've written here before that I think Firefox is a superior browser... but I just can't give up Safari. I don't know exactly what it is, but it feels better. Damn Safari, I wish I could quit you!<br><br>It has some nice features too. I suspect this has now made it into Firefox 3, but I can't live without the ability to click and expand text fields (like this one).<br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 04:21 PM

I'm with you on Safari. It has the best "Mac" feel. The newest Firefox beta is great though I admit. I use Saft on my notebook mainly for the full screen option and exporting single page PDFs. My desktops have big enough displays where I don't really need Saft. You can't get instant word definitions on Firefox either. Apple's browser is good. <br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 05:42 PM

Is it time I considered giving Safari another look? I've been pleased with FF for quite a while now.<br><br>Edit: Reading through the thread, I think I'll stay with FF as my primary browser.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MacBozo on 03/19/08 08:50 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/19/08 06:37 PM

Hey Bozo - don't take our word for it - try it; you might like it! <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.

Re: Safari 3.1 released! - 03/20/08 05:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I can't live without the ability to click and expand text fields (like this one).<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, they've had an extension for Firefox to do that for many years. I actually like OmniWeb's method of just opening an "attached" mini editing window - but just resizing the built-in text input fields is good enough. Glad to see Safari get the feature.<br><br>As far as the tab features, I have used Saft in the past and still had the tab problem.<br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

OmniWeb forever ... ? - 03/20/08 06:34 AM

<br>I have tried each new version of Safari, and none has made me want to give up on OmniWeb. :(<br><br>Somehow, OW's page rendering seems smoother, that tab side panel is just wonderful (I actually use it all the time, while I never quite liked the somewhat colourless tabs on top), and being able, to assign each frequently viewed page its own formatting - especially font size - is sheer genius, especially for someone, whose eye-sight isn't all that great any more.<br><br>I use FireFox for banking, and OW for everything else. Only shame is that I haven't found a means of exporting my bookmarks from OW, or, I simply don't know where the program is hiding them.<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: OmniWeb forever ... ? - 03/20/08 09:53 PM

Eck,<br><br>OmniWeb's bookmarks are store in your User/Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5 folder, and the file name is bookmarks.html.<br><br>You can backup that file for safe keeping, as well as the "workspaces, cookies and history" folders. <br><br>You can use that same bookmarks file in Firefox if you choose.<br><br><a href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheGraphicMac/~6/1">[img]http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheGraphicMac.1.gif" alt="The Graphic Mac: OSX & design community" style="border:0[/img]</a><br><br>
Posted by: eckhard

thanks! - 03/21/08 12:28 AM

<br>I looked in prefs, libraray...... but the obvious one escaped me. ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>