Desktop Rebuild

Posted by: StanFlack

Desktop Rebuild - 05/24/01 03:19 AM

OK, this is a simple tip, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. Rebuilding your Desktop is easy and will make your Mac run more effeciently. Simple press and hold the command (apple) and option keys at startup and you will eventually be presented with a window that asks you if you want to rebuild the desktop. Just click "OK" and you're off. You really should try to remember to do this once a week or so.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/01/01 09:45 PM

Sound advice, although I must admit I seldom rebuild my desktop these days... I used to have to do it far more frequently back with System 7.<br><br>Regardless, an even better solution is the freeware TechTool utility from Micromat, which will *recreate* your desktop file, not just rebuild it. TechTool also does a few other tasks, and is a handy addition to any toolbox.<br><br>http://www.micromat.com/techTool/index_techTool.html<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/02/01 02:54 AM

Just force-quit the Finder, and hold Apple-Option - then you can rebuild. No need to restart :)<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/02/01 08:23 AM

I just delete my desktop DB and DF via ResEdit, on any partition I think needs rebuilding and with Default Folder installed I can command/delete these invisibles from Resedit's dialog box... then, at next restart the desktop will rebuild while I make the coffee.<br><br>All I have to do is make an addition to my script that empties trash at shutdown so that it actually presses the continue button on the "cannot delete Desktop DB as it is still in use" dialog... thus saving me the need to wait that long before getting up to make the coffee.<br><br>..
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/02/01 08:09 PM

Cipher great tip...<br><br>John, are you a dark or a light coffee type of guy? I'm a sort of medium... I like dark coffee but not really dark.... (probably the Army coffee made me like darker coffees... as all Army coffee is dark, thick, and not always hot )<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: bdog

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/03/01 08:52 PM

1. The finder rebuilds the desktop if command-option is held down as a volume is mounted.<br>2. Rebuid and recreate are the same damn thing! (can we say damn in here?)<br>3. I like to go to special, then quit, in the finder (if no other apps are open & my finder is hacked), and while it mounts the disks, I am already holding down command-option!! Very simple!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/04/01 04:53 AM

bdog.<br><br>the way I understand it is that a Desktop file rebuild only happens through the "option command" restart process. The two files being rebuilt exist on the drives, and are thus being "rebuilt" by the Mac OS<br><br>but a recreation of those files happens when you use Tech Tool, ResEdit, etc. to trash those two files, so that the Mac OS isn't rebuilding them, but rather creating them because they don't exist....<br><br>The two processes have the same end result generally, but I wonder if the "distinction" isn't truly a distinctions anymore because of a reworking of the "rebuild" process under System 8, 8.1, 8.6, 9 or 9.1, or because the only real "distinction" was only semantic, and was created by commercial software companies to sell a product.<br><br>Does anyone have the knowledge/skill to know if the "distinctions" are truly distinctions, or just marketing speak?<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/04/01 06:57 AM

No, they are the EXACT same. The Mac OS will "re-create" the desktop files (desktop db & desktop df) and then when it's done, will replace them with the existing ones. Also, this isn't a start-up thing, it's a volume mount thing!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/04/01 07:55 PM

I hear ya, so is the whole "receate" versus "rebuild" thing just marketing speak? Or is this a recent development in the Mac OS?<br><br>Anyone want to ask Micromat about this?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Desktop Rebuild - 06/04/01 08:03 PM

I am pretty sure that both technically do the EXACT same thing.<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)