Post your desktop snapshot

Posted by: MacGizmo

Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 04:56 AM

To follow-up on Dreed's ancient desktop snapshot thread, we haven't had one of these in a while, and with a new OS out there since the last one...<br><br>Menu bar closeup:<br><br><br><br><br>Full desktop:<br><br><br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 05:09 AM

Thanks, you just reminded me to install Suitcase.<br><br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NucleusG4 on 01/15/08 08:12 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 05:21 AM

<br><br>Old farts, the hidden caulk of civilization. Jim Atkinson<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 05:30 AM

I don't use the desktop for anything more than a place to hold stuff before tossing or copying to another drive. I wish my office desktop worked the same way. I haven't seen the surface of that in years. That is where "stacks" work. <br>Since at least Tiger I turn off the hard drive appearing on the desktop and do all my drive and file access from a finder window, now, usually from a "find" window since I don't file anything anymore except images in one folder, files in another. Why bother when spotlight can find them so much faster?<br><br><br><br>All my lab computers use "solid" dark blue as a desktop. I think it was Cope who posted this sunset as an astronomy POD a while ago and it became the desktop pic on this laptop.<br><br>Does everyone know they cane rename "Macintosh HD" something a little more informative? I guess I share my hard drive across networks all the time so that is the first thing that gets changed the day I unpack. (I also cannot handle a space in a directory name.)<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 06:31 AM

The following is my desktop background. Just imagine it expanded to 1920 x 1200 pixels. <br><br><br><br><br>- alec -
Posted by: trey

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 06:37 AM

Here's my iBook:<br><br><br><br>The desktop computer's pretty much the same.<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 06:41 AM

rename "Macintosh HD" something a little more informative?<br><br>Guess you didn't see mine. <br><br> I tried the nothing on the destop look... but old habits die hard. <br><br>I still have to rustle up some HD icons and install a few more apps. Just installed Leopard on Saturday.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 07:31 AM

Matches outside. It snowed a skiff and then froze.<br><br><br><br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: Topper

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 07:53 AM

<br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 07:57 AM

I mostly use the same desktop as you and Alec.<br><br>But I do use PictureSwitch to switch from the Gray desktop to the picture above. And other pictures that can't be shown here <br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 08:40 AM

That's DISGUSTING... Get Photoshop 7 out of that dock now!!!<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: deegray

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 09:27 AM

..that is so repulsive, i insist on knowing who she is so she can be reported to the proper authorities...<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 09:58 AM

[color:blue]"proper authorities"</font color=blue><br><br>Would I count?<br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 09:59 AM

I'd say we all (of the male persuasion) are authorities of one sort or another in this case. Whether we're proper ones, I don't know. In fact, I think I'd rather be an improper one. <br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 10:09 AM

Me too, but I'm never given the chance <br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 10:16 AM

You think that is disgusting?<br>You ain't seen disgusting yet!<br>Take another look at what I've got.<br>I should never tell anyone this, I have CS3 but I prefer 7. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 10:25 AM

Not to hijack the hijack, but is PS 7 compatible with Leopard?<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Pete

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 10:31 AM

Nothing exciting - still on Tiger on the MBP:<br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 02:19 PM

Nothing special from me, my work desktop is the norm from Apple<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 02:39 PM

Eye-ease black. This is very restful on the eyes with my new iMac 20 inch glossy!<br><br>I love it!<br><br><center><br><br></center><br><br>
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 02:58 PM

This is my last warning Topper! Any more posted pictures of my wife, and I am ordering an ICBM precision strike!<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 03:02 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't know, her looks changed a little bit.<br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 03:04 PM

It will give a nice contrast to anything that is on your desktop.<br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 03:20 PM

I don't have Leopard yet. It will be coming in a couple weeks with my new Mac Pro.<br>But according to the people on Adobe's forums, Photoshop 7 does not work with Leopard.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 03:48 PM

"I'm sorry, I didn't know, her looks changed a little bit."<br><br>Hey, she's a dynamic woman, what can I say? <br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 03:54 PM

Here's mine from my MacBook (Full Size):<br><br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 05:00 PM

Here's my 12" PB desktop.<br><br><br><br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/15/08 05:46 PM

Oh, OK, but it isn't nearly as interesting as those old OS 9 desktops now that I can stash all my apps in stacks. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 01:43 AM

Just in the middle of setting up Leopard... PhotoShop CS2 Updater still takes over 100% of cpu <br><br><br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 02:59 AM

<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 06:54 AM

I'm setting up my first sold server system at a client's office on Friday and decided to "play" with my own server at home.<br>It's a MDD DP 1.25 running Leopard Server 10.5.1 which, I must say, is pretty easy to configure.<br><br><br><br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 09:45 AM

Interesting-most docks are on the bottom. <br>Mine is on the right. I find I do not accidentally hit it over there.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 10:13 AM

<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Mac007

Is she running for President? - 01/16/08 03:18 PM

If she is I'll vote for her. Her state of the union address would probably be the most watched show on tv. <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

Re: Is she running for President? - 01/16/08 03:28 PM

I'd start WWIII for her <br><br><br>

Re: Is she running for President? - 01/16/08 06:23 PM

George Bush has 10 more months to beat you to the punch... he's come close a few times already. <br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: Is she running for President? - 01/16/08 06:31 PM

I have confidence in good ol' Georgie. I still think he can do it. [no smile]<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 06:52 PM

That reminds of this song, by the look on his face:<br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/dreed2/.Music/DontThinkTwiceItsAlright.mp3<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/16/08 09:50 PM

That's a nice sentiment, Donna. Here is what I hear. Enjoy.<br><br><br><br><br><br><embed src="http://www.timealone.com/webstuff/Forever Young.mp3" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type="video/quicktime"><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by G4Dualie on 01/17/08 00:58 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/17/08 05:39 PM

I like that song much better! :-)<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/17/08 07:42 PM

I love both songs.<br><br>I just noticed Forever Young was incomplete. <br><br>Sorry about that. I must have quit the ftp transfer utility before it completely uploaded to the server.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/17/08 07:44 PM

Well, that's funny. I just reloaded it and comparing the version in my playlist to the one on my server, they both are 4.52 MB in size and yet it would seem the song doesn't completely load. Oh well.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/17/08 08:02 PM

That's OK. I already had it. ;-)<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/19/08 01:04 PM

<br><br>[color:blue]flick</font color=blue>[color:red]r</font color=red>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/19/08 06:38 PM

Nice desktops Swatty. I like the tattoo!<br><br><a href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheGraphicMac/~6/1">[img]http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheGraphicMac.1.gif" alt="The Graphic Mac: OSX & design community" style="border:0[/img]</a><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/19/08 09:47 PM

this is my Blackbook, which i keep pretty simple. my desktop has two big screen displays attached to it and has a more cluttered desktop.<br><br><br><br>everything that would normally go on my desktop goes into a dated folder. when the folder gets to be about a month old, i start a new one and move this one into my Documents folder. i just use spotlight to find everything these days so try and name things well -- e.g., if it's for a specific class it might be named 693_discussion_questions. to find all 693 class stuff i type 693_ into spotlight and there they are.<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/20/08 05:58 AM

Shot of my dual monitors:<br><br><br><br>_______<br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 06:45 AM

Most of my desktop pictures tend to be rather risqué.<br>When I have to behave, I use the following desktop pictures:<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 07:07 AM

I've come into land with this one, it's getting me through a wet and grey English winter...<br><br><br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 07:28 AM

I go with either this one <br><br><br><br><br>or this one<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: cope

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 07:48 AM

Those are nice noctilucent clouds, luc, but I have never used them as a desktop. I may have linked to that pic, though.<br><br>Here is our current one. We gave cope jr. a subscription to a guy who makes very cool images for desktops and as mounted prints. This is the one we have had on for a couple of years or so.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 07:50 AM

Where's the 2nd one from?<br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 07:51 AM

Panama City Beach, Florida.<br><br>my photos
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 08:14 AM

<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 08:20 AM

what the hell did you do to your mac? heh<br><br>my photos

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 08:31 AM

Very nice.<br>Looks like you are running a MacBook Pro or a 24" iMac. <br><br><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 10:12 AM

heh heh, doesn't every Mac look like that? <br><br>Here's another shot. <br><br><br><br><br>This is on my iBook G4/Tiger 10.4.11 (btw - named MacBook even before Apple came out with their MacBooks). I'm running a newly discovered GUI kit - Crystal Clear. It is interesting and does not sacrifice functionality for me, or I would not use it. Crystal Clear has multiple options including installing something called "SetAlphaValue". I'm using the GUI kit only.<br><br>Chris<br><br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 11:30 AM

Unfortunately, a lot of the Unsanity Shapeshifter themes don't work on Leopard.<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 11:36 AM

...and viewing this thread runs us the risk of exceeding our bandwidth quotas <br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 06:37 PM

Speaking of which, did this thread *start* in the 'Tech' forum? <br><br>I can't recall now...<br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 06:58 PM

I kind of remember it in the other forum...<br><br>...but does it really matter anymore? <br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 07:05 PM

Gotta say, it's a little bit of a stretch to call this a 'tech' post.<br><br>That's like someone making a post in the Lounge showing off a painting they did of Barack Obama and 10 minutes later it gets moved into the 'Soapbox'... <br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/21/08 08:30 PM

No. I started it in the Lounge.<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 02:35 AM

Phew, I'm glad we're on to a new page - was downloading several Mb every time I viewed the last one. I don't know why Safari didn't manage to cache the whole lot, but some of those screen shots were almost a Mb each. The bandwidth! The bandwidth! I'm melting...<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: ichi

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 03:30 AM

<br><br><br><br>"in times of peace the warlike man attacks himself."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 07:34 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Phew, I'm glad we're on to a new page - was downloading several Mb every time I viewed the last one.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm not sure what the "last one" you're referring to is. This is the same thread that was in the lounge - it just got moved into here. Unless you're referring to the last time we had a screenshot thread, which was probably a long time ago (I can't remember).<br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 07:40 AM

Nay, 'last one' refers to the last (i.e. previous) page of this thread, this being page 4 (unless you're 'viewing all') - page 3 had some hefty jpgs on it, and my browser didn't cache them all, so every time I looked at the page, I'm clocking up a few more Mb of bandwidth usage. I made some effort to optimise my desktop snapshot before adding it to the list for that reason. Which doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing the lovely high-res piccies other are putting up there!<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 08:25 AM

It's people like ichi posting HUGE files that drag this down.<br><br>my photos
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 08:40 AM

Ichi's strat at 288KB is miniscule compared to Topperti[color:blue]</font color=blue>t[i][/i]ties but I would be the first to complain if those balloons were not posted at the highest resolution. 400KB for that pair is just fine,<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 05:59 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>compared to Toppertitties but I would be the first to complain if those balloons were not posted at the highest resolution. 400KB for that pair is just fine,<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yes, yes, yes. Exceptions MUST be made in EXTREME circumstances, eh?! <br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/22/08 06:02 PM

By the way, while I don't particularly care about file size (I have broadband for a reason), the dimensions of images can be particularly annoying to some who don't have huge monitors and are forced to horizontally scroll just to hit the reply button.<br><br>Of course, if we had new forum software it wouldn't matter because there would be a Quick Reply box centered at the bottom of the page, and it would make thumbnail images automatically anyway! <br><br><a href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheGraphicMac/~6/1">[img]http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheGraphicMac.1.gif" alt="The Graphic Mac: OSX & design community" style="border:0[/img]</a><br><br>

Re: Post your desktop snapshot - 01/23/08 01:42 AM

Yup, it's also the 'avoid horizontal scrolling' thing that makes me resize screen shots to fit most people's screens. Civic duty and all that... <br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

lanovami... - 01/28/08 09:02 PM

Here is my Japanese desktop picture.<br>Although there is one Chinese woman and one Thai woman.<br>Before I flatten the image it was 130 MB in size.<br><br><br><br>

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 12:45 PM

My favorites...<br><br><br><br>

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 01:06 PM

Nice. Makes me hanker for winter to finally get over with.<br><br><br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 01:11 PM

Where are the Chinese and the Thai in the bigger picture? Number 1 and 2? Thais are much easier to pick out (though there is a lot of Chinese blood mixed into the Thai population). The Chinese is harder but I'll still go with number 2.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 01:18 PM

Good job by you catching that one.<br>I screwed up. <br>There is only one Chinese woman and she is at the very top left hand corner.<br>The rest are all Japanese.<br>I pulled the Thai picture and forgot that I had done so.<br><br>

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 01:46 PM

Here's my spartan desktop, it's got a few stray files that I will eventually clean up. It's funny, I easily deal with clutter in my own meat space, but I can't stand it in my files. I wish I could hardwire my brain to be the other way...sorry, it's so big, I'm new to this stuff.<br><br><br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 09:12 PM

My stuff is big also but how else can I show off the girls? <br><br>Shinsei jan. Sounds religious.<br><br><br>

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 09:15 PM

Yes, that's where I get envious of Carp. Warm weather all the time with lots of Japanese girls.<br><br><br>

Re: lanovami... - 01/29/08 10:28 PM

I'm just glad I got mine up; normally I don't bother with anything more complicated than s and s.<br><br>shinsei jan just means my Shinsei online bank account's jan (uary) report. Great service, BTW. This reminded me that I used to have my User in Japanese, but I would inevitably change it back when I wanted to use Help, because it's too much trouble to read a long explanation in Japanese; and I haven't gotten around to changing it back. Lazy lazy.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle