There's something in the air...

Posted by: Topper

There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 05:36 AM

That appears to be the theme of MWSF 2008.<br>What's it mean?<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 05:47 AM

Have they figured out how to atomize the Kool-aide? <br><br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 05:50 AM

Finally wireless sync for the iPhone? <br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 05:50 AM

I hope there's no need for Kool-aid as yet.<br><br><br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 06:05 AM

That's a good guess. Maybe wireless is the key word. <br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 06:08 AM

I still can't believe a phone that has so many wireless options needs to be plugged in to sync, and still can't sync with .mac. I really figured they would have that enabled by now.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 06:11 AM

That is dumb. <br>I don't have one so I am surprised to hear that it is not in sync.<br><br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 06:34 AM

Some people are talking about WiMax ...not sure. <br><br>I say it has to do with movie rentals ...appleTV (maybe being a real TV) ...and a lot of boos if that's the main thing for MW08 <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 06:37 AM

Everyone is looking forward to the Ultra-portable. <br>If that's not there, it will be a very disappointing expo.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 07:15 AM

"What's it mean?"<br><br>An Apple/Taco Bell joint venture? <br><br>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 07:56 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What's it mean?<p><hr></blockquote><p>An Apple/VW iCar... that flies? <br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 07:59 AM

I don't know, bro.<br><br>Zwei and Reboot are talking WiMax and wireless.<br><br>Did you see Piper_14's post?<br><br><br>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:04 AM

Well, Mike may be right... it could refer to the SMELL an Apple/ Taco Bell venture may make...<br><br>...and then again, not.<br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:05 AM

Could be that Apple decided earlier that Bluetooth syncing would drain power too much, that's what they claimed about the 3G chip officially.* And it actually does drain the battery a bit when sending data over it, I've done it sometimes with a short video clip -- half a minute, maybe, shot with the the Razr's camera -- and sending that even drained half the battery. Syncing your address book and/or calendar OTOH probably wouldn't take as much power. Further, what I've gathered I'm guessing BT hasn't quite fully lived up to it's expectations thus far, so we'll see what happens to it in the future. It's good, probably best for low-voltage wireless input gadgets, such as mouse and keyboard, but for anything with more bits involved, I suppose something like Wi-Fi/WLAN, WiMax, 3G or even EDGE is much better. And well yeah, come to think of it, if the iPhone has built in WLAN, why can't it sync via that?<br><br>*Not wanting to make this another iPhone debate(/argument), just mentioning. ;)<br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:13 AM

I am hoping for the "not" part. <br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:15 AM

Aw, c'mon, it could be a real gas. <br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:20 AM

Then I am glad I won't be there <br><br>
Posted by: Mac007

Oooh oooh I know I know! - 01/12/08 08:24 AM

Apple and Taco will merge and announce the iTaco!! <br><br>"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 10:50 AM

iBeano!<br><br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 11:32 AM

Bad pun after another...geez you guys are into them... <br><br>Oh well, I've heard this saying 'Fart makes people laugh everytime' and time and again I find it accurate.<br><br>iFart!<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 04:08 PM

It's wireless, plain and simple. Did Apple buy a big wirless network?<br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 05:21 PM

That probably would take top billing over the ultra-portable.<br>But could they really keep something like that a secret right up to MWSF?<br><br><br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 05:36 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And well yeah, come to think of it, if the iPhone has built in WLAN, why can't it sync via that<p><hr></blockquote><p>Right, lots of ways to do it wireless, but one needs to use a cable, and no .mac sync yet. <br><br>I'm not talking syncing Mail or anything like that with Bluetooth, I'm talking Wifi for that. Mail, Ical Address Book can be done in a minute via Bluetooth and iSync, I use that daily, but the iPhone still needs a cable. It can be done on dozens of third party phones but not an iPhone.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 07:20 PM

Apple has bought eight geosynchronous satellites that put out a wireless signal that covers the entire planet. Everyone who has a .Mac account gets wireless internet included in the annual subscription price, which will remain unchanged, except for the loyal users who've had .Mac from the beginning. For them (us), .Mac will be free from now on.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 07:24 PM

YIPPEEE!!! I trust you have reliable inside info. <br><br>- alec -

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 07:36 PM

You bet!<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:20 PM

<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 08:40 PM

How'd you get that picture?<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/12/08 10:24 PM

The same way I got this one... <br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by G4Dualie on 01/13/08 01:28 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: DLC

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/13/08 07:55 AM

I asked my One to One instructor Myles yesterday what's the buzz about WWDC keynote...<br><br>He said "Steve came by the house the other night, but wouldn't tell him anything!" <br><br><br>they've already released the new Pro... so who knows... WIFI iPhone ? so what ?<br>that's cool, but not earth shattering ! <br><br>probably some things about Music store movies.. many an ultrathin portable... it'd be cool if it were touch screen.<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/13/08 02:41 PM

New Shuffles. Even smaller, with multi-scent interface.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br><br>http://TeamMacOSX.com | http://MacClan.net

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/13/08 03:30 PM

I hope you are joking.<br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/13/08 04:16 PM

I just got my iPhone this Friday and was surprised to learn that I had to plug it in and use iTunes to sync it with .Mac, considering that it has bluetooth. Can't wait to see what is in the air! <br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/13/08 05:44 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I just got my iPhone this Friday and was surprised to learn that I had to plug it in and use iTunes to sync it with .Mac<p><hr></blockquote><p>Actually you're syncing it with just your computer if I understand correctly the way it works. <br><br>I'm referring to where .mac connects through the internet to the .mac servers to sync the devices, computer to computer. It's handy if you have desktop and a laptop and travel.<br><br>I have a couple of clients that could leave their laptops at home or in the trunk, etc. if they could only use the wifi on the iPhone to sync their Mail, Calendars, etc like you can with computers. Right now when they travel they need to take the laptop and hit a hotpot or high speed connection to sync with the office. If his staff changes his appointments it would be nice to be able have constant sync.<br><br>It has the technology, it just needs the software.<br><br>BTW, never the less, I am jealous of your iPhone. <br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/13/08 06:03 PM

Oh, I see... At work it's Windows only, so I was able to access my iCal online using Windows, but I was never able to make any changes to it, until the iPhone came along. I used to have to write appointments and notes in my Daytimer and then type them into my iCal once I got home from work. Now I can type them directly into my iPhone, which saves me a lot of trouble. <br><br>
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/14/08 07:38 PM

iPlane.<br><br>Obviously.<br><br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/14/08 07:51 PM

A new and better X-Plane, huh?<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/14/08 09:45 PM

okay, i am going to guess that Time Machine can now backup wirelessly and that's something in the air. how much of a letdown would this be? <br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/14/08 10:25 PM

how much of a letdown would this be?<br><br>Well if tomorrow were Christmas and I was opening presents, it would feel the same way when I unwrap sweaters and underwear.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 05:42 AM

A little over 3 hours to go. We shall soon find out.<br>My money says it has something to do with the new ultraportable.<br><br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 06:24 AM

I'm fairly confident the Book/iMac screen combo will be announced; the one where the Book docks to the monitor.<br><br>- alec -

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 06:33 AM

I'm guessing the ultraportable, like everyone else, and a 3G iPhone, that's even what the European market is expecting of the iPhone.<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 06:34 AM

LOL... You're joking... right?<br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 06:49 AM

Well... it's coming. Since Apple already blew the whistle on new towers, what other "big thing" could possibly make a stir? If not the Book/Screen combo, what? Faster laptops, smaller iPods, bigger iPhones, broadened connectivity... all would be a bit of a yawn. "Ultra-portables" wouldn't be earth-shattering. It's time for something really important... again.<br><br>- alec -

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 07:06 AM

forget time machine self . . . i now think this is the Macworld for Apple TV. Apple TV is getting Blu-ray and it will be WiFi enabled to get movies directly online from the iTMS or your Mac across the room. this is the big product*.<br><br>*i have no knowledge and haven't even heard this as a prominent rumor . . . just a hunch or wishful thinking.<br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 08:22 AM

Have you got your bets down now or are you going to change in 40 minutes? <br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 09:24 AM

i wrote, "forget the time machine stuff. . ." and now i see this on the live Engadget page:<br><br>9:18AM - "These two things together make up Time Capsule -- really nice. You can back up your notebook wirelessly to TC. You can backup ALL the Macs in your house wirelessly to one Time Capsule. It's really wonderful. We're gonna sell it in two versions."<br><br>i guess i was originally mostly correct. but being one of the first announcements means it's not the big thing(s). whew.<br><br>

Re: There's something in the air... - 01/15/08 10:17 AM

Yep, still waiting for the ultraportable.<br><br><br>