Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Products

Posted by: Topper

Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Products - 01/06/08 07:42 PM

Fudzilla called Vista and Leopard 2007s most disappointing products.<br><br>The following article is from Fudzilla. Fudzilla also trashed Vista. <br>I took out most references to Vista because I could absolutely care less.<br>If you want to see the article in full, click HERE.<br><br>I do not have Leopard as yet. I plan on getting it with the new Mac Pro.<br>Does anyone agree or disagree with Fudzilla?<br><br>From Fudzilla:<br><br>2007, the year of the sub-par operating systems<br><br>During 2007, marketers at Apple and Microsoft enthusiastically peddled the next generation of operating systems. Apple had its Leopard and Microsoft had Vista. Both operating systems arrived late. Microsoft held the record for being a few years late, while Apple was just a few months late.<br><br>The reason for the late arrival of Leopard was because Apple was too preoccupied with its iPhone range, which would arguably make it more money than Leopard ever could. It withheld developers from Leopard to make sure that the iPhone made the sales that Steve Jobs wanted.<br><br>After Leopard came out, it was clear that it was not really fit for the purpose intended. Leopard was just spotty (pun intended) with hundreds of bugs that should have been dealt with during the QA. Leopard did not offer anything that really could be considered "new." It did not seem to offer anything that could not be had from Apple's Tiger Operating System. However, did have a lot of bugs. Even the most faithful Apple user had his and her faith tested when the operating system just switched itself off, or the back-up system lost data. What was worse was that some of these bugs had been fixed in earlier versions of OS-X.<br><br>Apple did its best. It blamed everyone else before issuing a major patch, which made Microsoft's Vista patching efforts look lightweight. Value for money, however, Leopard was not. Many users have reported to us that they are going back to Tiger, and those who still have the operating system say there is no way they are paying more than $100 to 'upgrade' it. After the first flush of sales had gone, they started to dry up.<br><br>Apple, at least, had the advantage that its loyal customer base were stupid enough to run out and upgrade without engaging their brains. They also had a tame U.S. IT press, which spouted positive reviews to encourage wavering buyers.<br><br>The only consolation that Apple and Microsoft have had this year is that the Linux desktop has not been able to give them both the good kicking they deserve. Although Linux has been doing quite well in building up the technology that matches Apple and Microsoft on the desktop, it is still server-focused and not really interested in stealing their markets. It has also been hamstrung by the lack of interest from commercial software developers to support it.<br><br>Our prediction for next year is that with neither Microsoft nor Apple having anything interesting to offer, and things will stay the same. Leopard and Vista will stay on the shelf. Apple will concentrate on making its entertainment gizmos.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/06/08 07:53 PM

I disagree completely. There are a whole bunch of new things that make the system much better than Tiger. My favorite is the incredibly easy networking in Leopard. I love it. The only problems I've had with Leopard involve 3rd party drivers, specifically HP, and even that I've solved by moving files around from the Tiger installation to the Leopard one. Any review that takes as its premise that the customers must be stupid is f*ed from the outset.<br><br>edit: I hate stacks, and need to say that.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 01/06/08 10:54 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/06/08 08:10 PM

I was just curious, thank you.<br>Fudzilla and The Inquirer don't really like Mac people so I take them with a grain of salt. <br>The only reason I pay any attention to them at all is because they are pretty fast at getting IT news.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: newkojak

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/06/08 09:31 PM

Why would anyone call themselves Fudzilla?<br><br>Anyhow, I accept some of the criticism of OS X 10.5, but I believe much of it is simply the work of very loud members of the technorazzi who need to prove that they aren't Apple fanboys after praising it for the better part of the last two years. Leopard has had a few rough edges, but I haven't seen the flood of complaints about it that these tech pundits talk about. What do they mean by hundreds of bugs?<br><br>As for the new features, you need to look under the hood for many of them. There will be a slew of 10.5-only software coming out in the next couple of years that take advantage of all the new APIs. Aside from that, I think Time Machine is the first easy, incremental backup solution that people will actually use. It's even easy to use with laptops.<br><br>The two biggest complaints I have heard about Leopard are over the translucent menu bar and the new dock/stacks. Those may be important things to some people, but they are both aesthetic things. That's not so bad, is it?<br><br>-- Charlie Alpha Roger Yankee Whiskey
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/06/08 10:27 PM

They guy is a complete idiot. Note the Microsoft logo at the top of the article. Obviously they are trying to create equivalence of failure for Leopard to make Vista not look so bad.<br><br>He needs to get the Enderle award.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/06/08 10:46 PM

If Leopard was only Time Machine (and the upgrade to Preview, naturally) it was worth the money.<br><br>Just think, Reboot will never have to do a full re-install again. Every system reset is right at your fingertips.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 05:13 AM

I would love to see this list of HUNDREDS of bugs in Leopard. I know there are a lot of things people don't like about Leopard, but bugs???<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 05:42 AM

<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 06:39 AM

[censored].<br><br>Edit: While doing a search for Enderle at MC I noticed that you have mentioned him in your posts.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 07:05 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I know there are a lot of things people don't like about Leopard, but bugs???<br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Putting blinders on?<br><br>Let's see... Core Data bug that caused data loss, Windows opening under menu bar (still not fixed from tiger), BSOD, some Intel macs can't connect at full duplex (this was fixed in tiger but came back), NetAuthAgent crashes with certain characters in passwords...<br><br>"Hundreds" may be stretching the truth a little, but then it's not far off either.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 07:45 AM

Huh...never had any of those "bugs" happen to me that you list there.<br><br>my photos

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 08:13 AM

Huh... I've never heard a tree falling in a forest either, but I'm willing to bet it makes noise.<br><br>Every bug I listed there was a registered with Apple. Doesn't mean you will experience them. Plenty of others have.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 08:14 AM

"Hundreds" may be stretching the truth a little, but then it's not far off either.<br><br>Ah yes, you must be a graduate of the George Ou school of mathematics. Ou was famous for lashing out at one of the commenters on his ZDNet webblog by quipping:<br><br>Learn english<br><br>A few would mean 1-3. A couple would mean 4-9.<br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 09:44 AM

Is that the Mormon definition of couple?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 10:01 AM

ha, ha, .... someone the other day said if Romney gets elected we'll have 5 First Ladies !! <br><br>not true but it makes you laugh.<br><br>David (OFI)

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 10:01 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>Is that the Mormon definition of couple?<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>LOL<br><br>Maybe, maybe not... but saying Leopard doesn't/didn't have major bugs is like believing in creationism ;)<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 10:10 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>Ah yes, you must be a graduate of the George Ou school of mathematics.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well here's the problem, Leopard does/did indeed have a significant number of bugs, but there are many (like the Core bug I mentioned) that don't directly affect the end user, or they might not realize is a bug (like playing media files in column view). I don't know the exact number, but it's more than say 30, and probably is close to 100... which in terms of numbers is actually damn good considering the amount of code involved. But, a bug is a bug.<br><br>Less important than the numbers however is the kind of bugs. The core data bug is significant, as is the finder moving bug. These are two major problems that never should have gotten out the door. That's plain sloppy. I can easily live with silly stuff like icons changing, windows possibly popping under the menu bar, but when bugs move into the realm of losing data then they're making the computer potentially unusable.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: zwei

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 10:20 AM

Didn't 10.5.1 fix the finder move bug? The BSOD thing was a pain ..but I don't see how that was Apple's fault because it related to the APE framework being installed ...unfortunately I do agree that they should have caught it because a lot of people unknowingly installed it with Logitech's crappy mouse software.<br><br>Only bug I have is related to Automator actions not running if they start with the "get selected item" command. <br><br>Now, once 10.5.2. comes out and fixes stacks I'll be living the high life. <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: leicaman

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 06:30 PM

Yeah, there are some bugs that need to be fixed ASAP. But I'm enjoying it more and finding it more reliable than any previous version of OS X this early in its life.<br><br>Eric<br><br>I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it. - Mark Twain<br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 06:49 PM

All this negative blather written about Leopard's shortcomings is comical. I simply remind myself of Vista's development timeline... and I chuckle. And then I remind myself of Microsoft's budget... and begin to laugh out loud. And THEN I read about and witness folks "upgrading back" to WinXP and I begin to pee myself with joyful glee!!!<br><br>Yeah... let's compare Leopard and Vista. RIGHT!<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 06:51 PM

With Creationism I will only follow valid scientific theory. It is mumbo jumbo.<br>For Leopard I will go with anecdotal experience. I have Leopard now running on six boxes and I have not had one thing that even smelled like a bug. It is wunderkind uber koolaid drinking best OS evah!!!<br><br>The one thing that I had in Tiger which continues in Leopard is sporadic difficulty waking from sleep on 15 inch MBPs. My SO just said something that might actually be on the trail. "You moved it quickly when it was sleeping. Couldn't it be that ability of Macs to shutdown if dropped have something to do with it?"<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 06:55 PM

Good point - Sudden Motion Sensor. Kudos to your SO!<br><br>- alec -

Re: Vista & Leopard, 2007s Most Disappointing Prod - 01/07/08 08:20 PM

<br><br>I am looking forward to ordering Leopard with a Mac Pro next week. I'm hoping they throw in the Mac Pro for a couple bucks more.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>