AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz)

Posted by: KateSorensen

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz) - 01/05/08 03:25 PM

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz)<br><br>Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz<br><br><br>I just got my neighbor's PC going again after her APC got screwed up. It is so slow I feel like goosing it!<br><br>How does the speed of her processor compare to mine? I mean, in Mac language how fast is that athlon going in GHz?<br><br>She only has 1.49 GHz RAM. I think she could use more.<br><br>This thing was built for her by some computer geek store in town, so I'll give her some suggestions as soon as you tell me what I'm talking about and language to use. [ha]<br><br>Oh yes, she has Verizon special $14.99 per month DSL 768 / 128, but it use to seem faster. I unplugged/shut down. Waited. Turned everything back on from the street in -- as advised before by our Reboot! <br><br>tia<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: zwei

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz) - 01/05/08 03:39 PM

That chip is a lot slower than any of the Core 2 Duos. Even if it was a dual-core chip it wouldn't be able to hang with the new Intel chips ...the newest AMD chips (which the above isn't) are lagging behind the powerhouses from Intel. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/05/08 04:01 PM

I must have written that down wrong cause I read elsewhere it is 1.53 GHz so it doesn't 'seem' to be much slower than my 2.4 GHz but the article said they don't run as fast as they say they're suppose to.<br><br>Thanks<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KateSorensen on 01/05/08 07:01 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: zwei

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/05/08 04:11 PM

The ghz has little to do with the speed. It's just an older chip. The thing you were hearing was in relation to old intel processors. The new Intel processors (Core 2 Duo) all run at lower ghz than the old Pentium 4 processors. <br><br>They are far faster even though they have less ghz. <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/05/08 05:12 PM

Okay. She's convinced. Gonna talk with the guy who put it together 4 years ago. It's slower than molasses, etc. . . . Thanks again<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 05:32 AM

The Athlon XP's are comparable to G4's. Actually, they a lot faster than the G4's were, but that's the era you're talking about. The reason it's called an 1800 is because it was comparable to a 1.8 GHz P4.<br><br>I actually still have an older XP 1800 PC I keep around, my daughter runs her barbie games on it, and I upgraded it with a decent video card over the summer. It's still a decent machine for web browsing, and light games. I bought it about a year after I got my B&W G3... which is no longer in service.<br><br>I suppose if you say it seems so slow it's because the HD is fragged beyond comprehension, and they're probably running some crappy virus ware and other junk. A fresh HD and getting rid of stuff that doesn't need to be on it, and it'd seem like a brand new 'puter.<br><br>My in-laws got a new PC over the summer, and frankly it seems a lot slower than that old PC because of the virus ware and other junk running in the system tray. Takes about 2x as long to boot too.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 07:34 AM

2 words:<br><div style="font-style:bold; font-size:200px; text-shadow: E3E3E4 6px 6px 4px; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; color: blue; font-weight:bold">MAC MINI!</div><br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 02:18 PM

I defragged, even though it said it didn't need it. <br><br>I'm concerned about the virus detecting apps she has but don't know enough to deal with them.<br><br>Last thing I helped her install was the Google picture viewer that came with her cd of pictures she had made at WalMart or somewhere. It gathered up every dang picture on the computer and put them in it. When you alter a picture it saves the original, etc. Seems pretty weighty.<br><br>She doesnt' use it much except for email and paying bills, etc. But dang me, it is slower than mole asses booting up and opening up MS web browser, etc. I would throw the thing thu the patio doors after 5 mintes. He PC builder guy will fix it up, I hope.<br><br>

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 02:20 PM

Don't know if I said it here or not but the eMac 1.25 GHz I'm working on for a friend makes hers look like a 486 box. What is 486? That popped into my mind? Was it a PC operating system? Anyway, it operates poorly. . . . <br><br>

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 02:27 PM

Yeah I'd suspect virus junk on the thing is slowing it down. Without all that extra junk running, for what you mention it's not that slow of a machine. Also she probably doesn't have much more than 128 or 256MB of memory in the thing, dropping a gig in there would certainly speed it up considerably and probably not cost very much at all. I believe PC2700 DDR is what's needed. Ah, I see on pricewatch 2 gigs is around 50 bucks :)<br><br>There's no way it'd compete head to head with Core Duo, or even an older G5 for things like games or 3D rendering, but what you describe she uses it for, it should work just fine.<br><br>Too bad it's so old, 2 years ago she could have upgraded it to a much faster CPU for next to nothing. Now that they're almost non-existent the CPU's are expensive.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 02:33 PM

It has 1.49 GHz RAM.<br><br>No faster CPU, or reasonably priced ones now? Oops! I thought she could upgrade that too.<br><br>Glad it is her prob, not mine. The guy may be able to do something about whatever is plugging up and making a speed trap.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 06:36 PM

486 describes the processor, similar to Mac G3, G4, etc. There was a 286, 386, 486...<br><br>The Graphic Mac for your Mac and graphics news, tips and more.
Posted by: carp

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/07/08 07:50 PM

Right JD<br><br>PC 386 = Mac G3<br>PC 486 = Mac G4<br><br>There was a PC 586 which is the same as the very first "Intel" chip naming scheme and thats when the numbers were drop in favor for code named Procs, like we see today<br><br>Conversely;<br>Intel chips had far fewer transistors compared to the larger IBM chips for the Macs - This translated that the Intel chips could be "Over Clocked" <-- remember them mhz wars back then? Where as the IBM chips could run at the same speed but at a much lower clock setting, thus achieving the same calcs per nano second.<br><br>Simply;<br>Intel had a smaller "pipe" line back then so they over compensated by over clocking<br><br>

Re: AMD Athlon XP 1800 (1533 MHz) - 01/08/08 05:13 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No faster CPU, or reasonably priced ones now? Oops! I thought she could upgrade that too.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Well, it is a roughly 7 year old machine. <br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!